Two questions..please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two questions..please help!!!

1. Does anybody know the factory recommended specifications for camber for front and rear on a 2006 tsx?

2. Having the toughest time coming up w/ a decision...full coilover system or lowering springs w/ shocks & camber kit (all bought seperately)???

Ive looked just bout everywhere for the camber specs for my car and cant seem to find them. And the thing with the coilover vs. the springs is that would it it be easier to buy the full coilover system that already has the new shocks and adjustable camber kit installed into it or buy lowering springs, shocks, and camber kit all seperately??

First i need to know the specs for the camber of my car, but im new to all this lowering stuff so when it gets lowered, do i just need to adjust the camber until the wheel is back to perpendicular with the ground or do i have to figure numbers into the situation?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Coastie114
1. Does anybody know the factory recommended specifications for camber for front and rear on a 2006 tsx?
The front is 0 degree (-0.75 to .75) and the rear is -1 degree (-1.5 to -0.5).

2. Having the toughest time coming up w/ a decision...full coilover system or lowering springs w/ shocks & camber kit (all bought seperately)???
The choice is up to you. Most of us here choose coilovers because of the ride height adjustability and dampening ability (some coilovers). You can get a basic coilover setup for just a few hundred dollars more than a spring/shock combo, so why not go for adjustability?

Ive looked just bout everywhere for the camber specs for my car and cant seem to find them. And the thing with the coilover vs. the springs is that would it it be easier to buy the full coilover system that already has the new shocks and adjustable camber kit installed into it or buy lowering springs, shocks, and camber kit all seperately??
If you go with springs and shocks, you have to make sure that you find ones that work well together. You should take into account spring rates, shock travel, etc.

With a coilover system, you should be able to just slide them in without having to mess around with a spring compressor.

First i need to know the specs for the camber of my car, but im new to all this lowering stuff so when it gets lowered, do i just need to adjust the camber until the wheel is back to perpendicular with the ground or do i have to figure numbers into the situation?
It depends on what you want to do with your car. If you are auto-crossing the car, you will want to add negative camber to both the front and rear of your car to improve cornering ability.

Depending on how much lower your car is, you can possibly get away without a camber kit. Your toe setting is more detrimental than your camber settings. You'll see some pictures here where the rear wheels are pointed inward so much, but they are fine since their toe is zeroed out.

You won't need a camber kit in the front (unless you're auto-crossing). The front wheels tend to stay within spec even if you lower the car by alot.

If camber annoys you, or you want to maximize your tire life, you can get a rear camber kit to bring your rear camber to -1 degrees. You might want to get an alignment first to see how bad your camber is (to see if you need a camber kit), but only do that if you have a lifetime alignment plan (ie: firestone) so that you don't have to pay for two alignments. My local discount tire store offers one free re-alignment after you pay for an alignment at retail. Personally, I just installed the rear camber kit because I am willing to spend the money to keep my car at factory spec (others try to save money and will just focus on the toe settings).
Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Advanced

Dude, i really appreciate all the info uve just given me, im still new to most this stuff bout modding cars but im gettin into it. Thats what ive heard alot is that even if u lower it alot in the front on a tsx u wont need a camber kit so thats what imma go with. And def now decided on goin with a coilover system. Does the coilover kit u receive/buy come with instructions on how to adjust the height and everything ull need to know bout coilovers? Thanx again man
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Advanced

I wanna lower it bout 1.5". If i can get away w/o a camber kit in the front thatd be great. But do u think i could w/o one in the rear if i go that low or u recommend i get one in the rear?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Dude, i really appreciate all the info uve just given me, im still new to most this stuff bout modding cars but im gettin into it. Thats what ive heard alot is that even if u lower it alot in the front on a tsx u wont need a camber kit so thats what imma go with. And def now decided on goin with a coilover system. Does the coilover kit u receive/buy come with instructions on how to adjust the height and everything ull need to know bout coilovers? Thanx again man
You're welcome! We all have to start somewhere, and it's always better to do research before spending money and then realizing that you need to re-do it and buy something else.

The coilovers will come with instructions and a special tool/wrench for you to adjust the height. Once you adjust the height to your preference, you probably won't change it again (unless you live somewhere where it snows and you want to raise the car). With the ability to adjust all 4 corners separately, you can make sure you get an even drop at all 4 corners (unlike springs). With springs, you have to decide between two or different drop heights (you can't pick drops in-between them, unless you can play with the perch settings). To adjust the height, you just need to jack up the car and spin the rings with the wrench.

As for the coilovers with dampening ability, they are easy to adjust and only take 5 minutes. Just pop the hood and you can twist the knob on the front ones. Fold down your rear seats, put a fist at the center of the side bolster, and yank at the top. The side bolster should pop out, and then you can adjust the rear dampening there. With some coilover systems, a module can be installed so that the dampening is electronically controlled by an EDFC (Electronic Dampening Force Controller). The EDFC sits in your cabin, and you can pre-set three of your favorite settings (such as full soft for when you're driving kids or elders, full stiff for having fun on curvy roads, and another setting for daily driving).

I wanna lower it bout 1.5". If i can get away w/o a camber kit in the front thatd be great. But do u think i could w/o one in the rear if i go that low or u recommend i get one in the rear?
You won't need a front camber kit. As for the rear, you can get away without one if your alignment shop is good and keeps the toe zeroed out. I think the rear camber kit is worth it, though. You can add/reduce camber as needed. If your rear tires lean inward, you'll be able to make it nearly vertical again (I'm not a fan of cars with lots of rear camber, but there are alot of people out there that do like it and purposely go for that look).
Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
You're welcome! We all have to start somewhere, and it's always better to do research before spending money and then realizing that you need to re-do it and buy something else.

The coilovers will come with instructions and a special tool/wrench for you to adjust the height. Once you adjust the height to your preference, you probably won't change it again (unless you live somewhere where it snows and you want to raise the car). With the ability to adjust all 4 corners separately, you can make sure you get an even drop at all 4 corners (unlike springs). With springs, you have to decide between two or different drop heights (you can't pick drops in-between them, unless you can play with the perch settings). To adjust the height, you just need to jack up the car and spin the rings with the wrench.

As for the coilovers with dampening ability, they are easy to adjust and only take 5 minutes. Just pop the hood and you can twist the knob on the front ones. Fold down your rear seats, put a fist at the center of the side bolster, and yank at the top. The side bolster should pop out, and then you can adjust the rear dampening there. With some coilover systems, a module can be installed so that the dampening is electronically controlled by an EDFC (Electronic Dampening Force Controller). The EDFC sits in your cabin, and you can pre-set three of your favorite settings (such as full soft for when you're driving kids or elders, full stiff for having fun on curvy roads, and another setting for daily driving).

You won't need a front camber kit. As for the rear, you can get away without one if your alignment shop is good and keeps the toe zeroed out. I think the rear camber kit is worth it, though. You can add/reduce camber as needed. If your rear tires lean inward, you'll be able to make it nearly vertical again (I'm not a fan of cars with lots of rear camber, but there are alot of people out there that do like it and purposely go for that look).
Nah, im that type that just wants to lower it then align it all back up so that the tires r perpendicular to the ground. Make it look good, not retarded looking lol Thanx again bro. Another question, u have any specific sites or brands that make good coilover systems like the ones ur tlkin bout with or without the electronic dampening ability? Ive looked around and found a bunch of systemsz on sites but dont know which ones r good and which ones rnt.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced

Also bro, one more question forgot to ask, do the coilovers come with like a numbering system on them (like on a air pump when u go to refill the air in ur tires) so u can tell how much uve lowered it or do u have to use a measurin tape or sumthin and start at one point and lower it from there and adjsut accordingly until u get it right where u want it to be? thanx again