Two questions about A-spec suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two questions about A-spec suspension

When I bought my car from the dealer I ordered the OEM Honda sports suspension (A-spec). After driving it for a while I noticed that my springs were red in stead of black. So I called the dealer to ask what had happened. He told me that they had installed a set of lowering spring made by Merwede Racing. As this was not what I had ordered I asked him to install the OEM set. After a few agree e-mails the dealer agreed to install the OEM sports suspension.

So this morning I went back to have the set installed. Because I didn't trust him anymore I asked to see the springs and dampers they were going to install. By that time he told me that the springs were exactly the same as the ones he had installed, he claimed that Honda used a black version of de Merdewe springs for their OEM set. He also claimed that the dampers were identical to the stock dampers.

So here is my first question:

Did anybody have a chance to compare the stock dampers to the A-spec dampers and are they different or not.

My second question:

After installation the car is about a quarter inch higher in the front. Which might indicate that there is a difference between the Merwede springs and the A-spec springs. Does it get a little bit lower when the new springs have settled?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
A-Spec dampers are valved differently than the stock units but I'm not sure if they look any different from the outside. It sounds like your dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you. The dampers and springs come preassembled if it really is the A-Spec kit.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

This A-Spec business is REALLY shady....
Old 10-07-2004, 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
This A-Spec business is REALLY shady....

That dealer sounds really shady.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:49 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dutch

After installation the car is about a quarter inch higher in the front. Which might indicate that there is a difference between the Merwede springs and the A-spec springs. Does it get a little bit lower when the new springs have settled?

Your car is now higher?? That doesnt sound right to me.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by domn
That dealer sounds really shady.
I just mean how each person comes to the board with a different story about A-Spec. It seems the dealers are taking advantage of how little official information there is availible.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
I just mean how each person comes to the board with a different story about A-Spec. It seems the dealers are taking advantage of how little official information there is availible.

True. Remember that guy who's dealer tried to sell him an A-Spec TSX about 4 months before there was any info on it.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by domn
True. Remember that guy who's dealer tried to sell him an A-Spec TSX about 4 months before there was any info on it.
Yeah. And remember the pic we saw of the black TSX w/ "A-Spec package" that had stock tires?

And I still haven't seen their "optional decklid spoiler" yet!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Advanced

After installation of the A-spec suspension the front of my car is about a quarter inch higher than with the stock dampers and the Merwede springs. I think during the next few weeks the car will settle and get a little lower. Im I right?

This dealer is realy shady, he put a put a set of Merwede lowering springs on the car which cost only 130 Euro's, While I paid for the A-spec suspension which costs 886 euro's. He only agreed to replace the cheapo suspension after I told him I would go the Honda Netherlands and that I would post this story on every Dutch Honda forum.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

He is in the Netherlands which could lead to differences and confusion. I don't know much about this high performance package.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:34 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xizor
He is in the Netherlands which could lead to differences and confusion. I don't know much about this high performance package.

just noticed that. So who knows whats going on over there.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I think in Europe, they call it HFP(Honda Factory Performance) for A-spec. At least the part # of the shocks is different than the stock shocks so I assume they are different and I can tell from the ride that it is a big different!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Instructor

I installed my A spec suspension kit myself and bought the kit from acrua in california. The suspension is black not red and they look almost Identical to the stock suspension. Once installed the drop is minimal and the front is not higher the drop is even front and back. The ride is tighter and it now handles corners much better. You can feel the difference. As a matter of fact, my Aspec shocks have Honda motor stamped into the metal.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by Dutch
After installation of the A-spec suspension the front of my car is about a quarter inch higher than with the stock dampers and the Merwede springs. I think during the next few weeks the car will settle and get a little lower. Im I right?
I measured exactly 1.25" drop with my A-Spec struts/springs. The Merwede springs are rated at a 1.5" drop, so it makes perfect sense that your car would be 1/4" higher.

My car has 1000 or so hard miles on it since I did the kit; it has not gotten any lower. I hope that lowering was not your goal with this setup, because the car starts so high up to begin with that 1.25" does not slam it.

I have no doubt that the struts are valved differently, because I have experienced what lowering springs on the factory struts feels like, and it's not good. That's why so many people are buying Koni's these days......
Old 10-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by LannyM

I have no doubt that the struts are valved differently, because I have experienced what lowering springs on the factory struts feels like, and it's not good. That's why so many people are buying Koni's these days......
Old 10-10-2004, 03:40 PM
STi'd

Originally Posted by jiggaman
I "third" that as well. I was one of those people that went with just drop springs on my accord. The ride was so bad I installed some cheap tokico blues which helped a bit, but were still crap. When I got rid of the car and bought the tsx, I said to myself that if I decided to lower this car, it would be done properly with decent equipment.

I am currently loving my a-spec suspension.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by gavinn58
I am currently loving my a-spec suspension.
How do you feel about the drop on your suspension, looks-wise? Do you think it's noticable? I'm looking for a drop, but not too much, kind of like what the sports package does for a 330i.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:04 PM
STi'd

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
How do you feel about the drop on your suspension, looks-wise? Do you think it's noticable? I'm looking for a drop, but not too much, kind of like what the sports package does for a 330i.
If you want the drop for the "look", this is not the setup to get. Honestly, it looks stock but when you get into the corners there is a definite difference. Ride quality is nearly the same as the stock setup, however noticeably a bit stiffer.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
From a wheel gap standpoint, sport pack 330is or any 3 series coupe looks lower than an A-Spec TSX, but it's really not. The 3 series fender flares way out, and the wheel, even with the 8" width, is pretty far inside the wheelwell. Although the gap is a couple of inches, it gives the appearance of being slammed/tucked.

The TSX wheel is right out even with the fender, and it makes the gap more noticeable. If you want to truly eliminate the gap on a TSX, you need to actually slam the car, elimanating all your suspension travel. Personally, I drive my 9 month old daughter around a lot, so I am not interested in any kind of bone-jarring ride.........

The gap is improved over stock- it no longer looks like a 4x4 .......

The best thing to me is improved handling without any real penalty in comfort.