TPMS system

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS system

I just change my rims to be 19 inches for my tsx 2007 w/nav. Then, My dash board said check TPMS system.
I know it is about the sensor of my tired. Acura dealer told me I have to transfer the sensor from my old rim to the new rim.

But how do I know the sensor will fit my new rim or not? Also, is there anyway I can do I by my self?

thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Racer

If you have access to a machine yes it can be done your self. Its a bitch to remove and install tires on rims with out the machine tire shop uses. As for fitment of TPMS, it might fit it might not. I've see rims that are TPMS capable and some are not. So I assume there is a difference. I've seen people get a small wheel barrow wheel/tire and stuff all four of the TPMS in it and inflate it and leave it in the trunk. And it works. I've seen it done with a 2007 TSX
Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

you have to take the Tire Pressure Sensor out form your old rims and put them in your new rims.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThirdLane
If you have access to a machine yes it can be done your self. Its a bitch to remove and install tires on rims with out the machine tire shop uses. As for fitment of TPMS, it might fit it might not. I've see rims that are TPMS capable and some are not. So I assume there is a difference. I've seen people get a small wheel barrow wheel/tire and stuff all four of the TPMS in it and inflate it and leave it in the trunk. And it works. I've seen it done with a 2007 TSX
I just wanna make sure, what you are saying is that put the sensor in side my trunk the warning will be gone but the tire pressure that calculate by my car computer is not going to work still right?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rob.swearingen
you have to take the Tire Pressure Sensor out form your old rims and put them in your new rims.
have you done it before?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

in order to remove the sensors, the tires must be dismounted from the rims. I am guessing you are not a mechanic and do not have the proper equipment, so I will go ahead and say no, you cannot do it yourself.

i would recommend taking it to a tire shop and have them try to swap the sensors with one of the wheels. that way you don't waste their time or your time if it doesn't fit.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
in order to remove the sensors, the tires must be dismounted from the rims. I am guessing you are not a mechanic and do not have the proper equipment, so I will go ahead and say no, you cannot do it yourself.

i would recommend taking it to a tire shop and have them try to swap the sensors with one of the wheels. that way you don't waste their time or your time if it doesn't fit.
I just had this done last weekend at America's Tire Co. They do not have to dismount the tire completely to remove/install the TPMS, just the top (outer) bead of the tire. They charged me $100 but that included 'labor' and rebalancing the tires.

I would think its safe to say that wheels from all of the major wheel manufacturers should be compatible with TPMS. Otherwise check with the specific manufacturer or local reputable tire shop just to be sure.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michael921
I just had this done last weekend at America's Tire Co. They do not have to dismount the tire completely to remove/install the TPMS, just the top (outer) bead of the tire. They charged me $100 but that included 'labor' and rebalancing the tires.

I would think its safe to say that wheels from all of the major wheel manufacturers should be compatible with TPMS. Otherwise check with the specific manufacturer or local reputable tire shop just to be sure.
I guess it depends on the shop. the place i went to dismounted the tires and also charged me $100 for labor. either way, it is not a DIY by any means.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael921

oh....I see, maybe I should try to contact them about it or go check it out
Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Instructor

I guess it depends on the shop. the place i went to dismounted the tires and also charged me $100 for labor. either way, it is not a DIY by any means.
Maybe I will ask them about it first before they start doing it. I am thinking to ask them not to dismount my tires.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Instructor

By the way, what is your tsx body kit? Is it Euro R? where can I buy it?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
User with Skills

Unless you're buying ur wheels used, usually the shop you buy wheels from will do it for you free of charge. I'm about to buy some new work wheels and this shop is going to take out my tpms from my old wheels, and then install them onto the new wheels with the adapter. All of this for free.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Gonna bring this thread up from the dead ... so it seems the only way to shut off the error on the car dash is to 'trick' the TPMS to believe the 4 sensors are within the "normal" range of the car (ie use wheelbarrow wheels with TPMS in them). Or else ... I have to buy a new set of TPMS for my winters and recalibrate them.

SIGH ... that's not what I wanted to do. I guess I shall have to suck it up and have that error appear every time I drive the car. I wish there was a way to turn that error screen off.

My Infiniti just has an icon appear on the dash and the functionality of the driver's information center remains normal (until it senses I am near time for servicing ... then I have to acknowledge the error and that's it). I hate it when automation doesn't let you shut errors (minor as this is) off.

/end rant
Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
10th Gear

Is there anyway to recalibrate the TPMS when you buy new rims?