Tires with nitorgen

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005 | 12:09 AM
Yohan

Tires with nitorgen

Hi! Does nitrogen filled tires perform any better than without? Especially with lower profile tires.
Old 10-28-2005 | 12:40 AM
Driver/Detailer

As the tyre heats up, the tyre pressure doesn't change as much as if using plain air. So it is more consistent. But you can't just top up your tyres at the gas station because you'll end up mixing it with air. I'd use it on the track, but not really worth it on the road.
Old 10-28-2005 | 12:53 AM
Yohan

Would it help on say, comfort? Would it still need to be topped up as frequent as normal air?
Old 10-28-2005 | 01:35 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

The only place that I've seen fill their tires up with nitrogen is Costco Tire Dept.

...where are other places?
Old 10-28-2005 | 07:09 AM
iVTEC no koe

Some interesting info from various pages (google search of "using nitrogen to inflate tires"):

Nitrogen remains in the wheel longer, results in better fuel efficiency and is less likely than compressed air to corrode rims and deteriorate tires, according to tire industry professionals.

Reese said it takes the nitrogen six times longer than regular air to leak out of your tires, and the right tire pressure means you burn less gas.

"When you have nitrogen in your tire there's nothing that can blow up. There's nothing that can burn," Robin Pearl said. "You can enjoy the same benefits that NASCAR drivers and airplanes have used for years."

You can't see or smell nitrogen, so to make sure your mechanic has inflated your tires with IT, look for a blue stem on the valve of the tire.

Nitrogen generally costs $5 for each tire when you buy a new set. Costco members can get nitrogen in their tires for free.

Benefits:

#
onsistent inflation pressure over longer periods
- Nitrogen permeates through the tire at a rate of 35% slower that oxygen (air)
- Under inflated tires flex and build up heat, breaking down the rubber over time
- 60% of blowouts are caused by under inflation
- Consistent inflation improves tread life
- Vehicle handling is improved
#
Longer Tire Life
- Nitrogen is a dry gas which disperses heat more rapidly resulting in cooler running tires. This preserves the integrity of the rubber, belts, and bead
- This inert gas also significantly slows the chemical aging process associated with oxygen and moisture (air)
#
Improved fuel efficiency
- Passenger cars realize 2-3 miles per gallon gains (4% on average*)
- Trucks realize gains of 2+%
#
At 4% fuel efficiency enhancement, the savings are significant to the car owner
- At 4% on a vehicle with 20 mpg rating, this saves approximately 2.5 gallons per week based on 40 miles per day @ $1.90 per gallon that adds up to $228 savings per year

Source: Tire Review, July 2004
Old 10-28-2005 | 07:34 AM
Yohan

4 percent? i wonder why noone actually have this setup
Old 10-29-2005 | 10:21 AM
Driver/Detailer

That information from tire review has to be read carefully. You DON'T get 4% fuel efficiency from the nitrogen. You don't get better handling from nitrogen. You don't avoid blowouts by using nitrogen. You get all of that from having proper tire pressure. You can fill your tire with air, nitrogen or fart (well, I think this will corrode some parts) and as long as you have the correct tire pressure, you'll reap the benefits.

Also, based on nitrogen permeating 35% slower through the tires compared to air, assuming that you lose 2 psi a month (which is quite quick actually), with nitrogen you lose 1.3 psi instead. So is $5 a tyre worth that 0.7 psi per month? I'd rather check the tyre pressures every month or 2 than to rely on nitrogen keeping my tire pressure correct since it still loses 1.3 psi a month.

And that last part about nitrogen not blowing up, even if you heat the air to over 400 degrees, you won't get ignition of the rubber with plain air. Nascar needs nitrogen because they have to make sure that they take due care in every aspect of the car/track/spectator/race. No risk can be taken.

Note: If it was free, I'd use nitrogen. Remember, plain air is 78% nitrogen.
Old 11-15-2005 | 05:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by curik_euro
Would it help on say, comfort? Would it still need to be topped up as frequent as normal air?
No, i think since its' more consistent and the tires aren't expanding or shrinking as much. You shouldn't loose much at all. The ones at the local performance tire shop refills the tires for you for free after the initial fill.
Old 11-15-2005 | 09:39 PM
TSX4EVR

When I purchased my winter wheels and tires they filled them with nitrogen (either for free or built into the price) and they mentioned many of the benefits above.

They are at the dealer now (after sitting in my garage for 2 months) to go on my TSX when it arrives on the 25th. I will let you know how they stand up in regards to maintaining tire pressure.

I could be mistaken but the tire warehouse where I purchased them said that I could bring the tires back to them to get refilled if they get low, for free.

If the $5 a tire is a regular price and the tires hold their pressure for lets say half a year maybe it is a worthwhile thing to do. There is likely a fair payback in just fuel savings and what's twenty bucks anyways.

Excited
Old 11-25-2005 | 10:36 AM
3rd Gear

I`m working for a compagny who make cryogenics products an a use nitrogen in my tires since a couple of months ... I notice a big change during the winter cause the preasure is always the same ... I for sure don`t pay for the gase !
Old 11-28-2005 | 03:20 PM
Instructor

i got nitorgen on both my cars... tsx and mdx.. it makes a bit of a diference. like hitting a bump on the road or a lane marker.. the bump seems less. on the MDX it made a lot of a diference in road noise.. Costco does nitrogen to all tires bought from them there are a buch of places that do it now here in south fla.
Old 11-28-2005 | 04:25 PM
Intermediate

I like to fill mine with helium to make the tires lighter and get a smoother ride... The problem is that helium has a very small molecular structure and leaks out very quickly (3 - 4 days). Hydrogen is a good alternative to helium, but you have to be careful with static electricity and avoid hitting a curve or you may end up with your own version of the Hindenburg disaster....Oh, the humanity....

I couldn't resist!!!

By the way, the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen and approx 21% oxygen, so even if you are filling up your tires at the corner gas station, most of the stuff you are putting in it is already nitrogen.
Old 11-28-2005 | 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

The biggest change that i see is during the winter ... The temperature is changing so fast here in Québec City that you should verify your tire every week . Nitrogen have the particularity to not be affect by the change of temperature . I fill my tires only once and thats it till April !
Old 06-11-2014 | 02:59 PM
2nd Gear

I have nitrogen in my wheels for over one year now and didn't notice any change in the ride quality, fuel consumption, etc... BUT, I can't test the purity (percentage) of the nitrogen they filled. I've attached a video below that shows you what is the filling process if you're curious.

Old 06-11-2014 | 03:05 PM

if 80% of the earth's atmosphere is nitrogen.......
Old 06-11-2014 | 03:15 PM
5th Gear

Awsome post man; I was just talking with someone about this briefly and you pretty much summed it up for me. So my next set of tires I will be getting nitrogen filled ones.
Old 06-11-2014 | 03:42 PM
mrgold35

I can see how nitrogen would be good for moisture and tpms sensor corrosion. It also would be good for extreme conditions like +120 degrees in the southwest or way below zero up north. Actually, it would be a good ideal to fill you spare with nitrogen since most of us don't check it for months/years until we need it.
Old 06-11-2014 | 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dgilmore9
Awsome post man; I was just talking with someone about this briefly and you pretty much summed it up for me. So my next set of tires I will be getting nitrogen filled ones.
IF the Earth's atmosphere is 80% nitrogen.....

let that sink in
Old 07-14-2014 | 03:39 PM
Cruisin'

i m with you about the tires air or gas i take free air
Old 07-14-2014 | 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

When I got new tires at Costco, they filled it with nitrogen, no charge. It's a smart move on their part as it encourages customers to come back for a free nitrogen refill, tire rotation, alignment, etc.

I'd use nitrogen if it's no more than $2. Before I got an air compressor, I paid 75 cents for air at the gas station.
Old 07-14-2014 | 06:00 PM

rotate and balance tires are free at costco anyway.
Old 07-15-2014 | 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

It is a bit less susceptible to temperature fluctuations but, unless you are racing, I wouldn't say it is necessarily worth paying for. However, if it is free, why not.
Old 08-13-2014 | 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

^Correct. I wouldn't pay for it...but it may be an incentive to buy/install tires at Costco or some other places that sell it.

It DOES NOT directly affect gas mileage. It just keeps tire pressure more consistent. In keeping it more consistent, it helps to save your fuel because the pressure doesn't go down as quickly.

However, if you check your pressures once a month or more....the effects are pretty much negated.

It CAN mix with regular air. The atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. It's all around you. It doesn't explode, or create a fireball, or destroy your anus if you mix air with it.

It is less reactive than oxygen. It's also dried out before it's pumped in. This means that your rims will corrode less from the inside. People with aluminum rims...especially those that drive in snow/salt can attest to their wheels corroding at the tire seal. This causes leaks. Oxygen acts as a catalyst. Nitrogen, on the other hand, does not. So it slows down the corrosion effect.

The other reason that it makes for a more stable inflation media is because it is usually almost completely dried out before it is pumped in. Since it doesn't create "humidity" inside your tire like compressed atmospheric air does...the pressures don't fluctuate as much. Cold weather doesn't "shrink" the inflation as much...hot air doesn't expand the inflation as much.