Tires for a 2004 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for a 2004 TSX

Can anyone recommend a good all season tire for a 2004 tsx?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.tirerack.com

Good site, shows ratings etc. I kind of like the way the Yokohama AVID V4S
looks for the performance and the price.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the Tires section search as well, but I too would say Yoko V4S.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
there are tons of threads on this as well,

but i like my Falken Ziex ZE-512 very inexpensive and a good tire so far
Old 01-17-2006, 09:51 AM
ABP TSX

^^^

I have the Falken Ziex ZE-512. As mentioned search in the Tires forum and you will get uber threads.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I am happy with my Yoko Avid V4S. Good all season tire.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Banned

YOKO YK420's
Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I've been extremely happy with my Avon M550's but have only had them for about 600 miles and not seen any snow or rain yet. Check them out in the ultra-high-perf all season section of TireRack.com.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I've been extremely happy with my Avon M550's but have only had them for about 600 miles and not seen any snow or rain yet. Check them out in the ultra-high-perf all season section of TireRack.com.
Put 1k on them and write about them. Seeing any difference in mileage? You've got me thinking about putting those on my summer wheels.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about these tires.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:11 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I've heard nothing but good things about these tires.
I have them and I love them! (and moda I have about 3k miles on them)
Old 01-20-2006, 03:12 PM
send me a link to JDM??

You will love them in rain and snow, trust me
Old 01-21-2006, 05:45 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by moda_way
Put 1k on them and write about them. Seeing any difference in mileage? You've got me thinking about putting those on my summer wheels.
I haven't calculated mileage yet, wanted to get them broken in. I run them 4 psi higher than the Michelins (they're not XL load-rated, so the sidewalls are not as stiff); that might result in a little better mileage.

I'll put about another 1,000 miles on and then report on ride/handling/noise/mileage, but so far I love them.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced

To those of you with the Avons:
Do you have the A/S version? And, have you experienced any flatspotting problems as mentioned in some of the reviews on Tirerack.com?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro

Avon M550 aging

Anyone out there have more than a few thousand miles/Kms on their set of Avon M550's and if so how have they aged and what's your opinion now v. when you first got them???

I'm curious as to how they perform, sound, ride, etc. after 10k miles+. Any thoughts or comments?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

I have about 1000 miles on the Avon M550's. I selected at the suggestion of Tire Rack. I like the tires, but they do flat spot after sitting over night. This feels like a bump on the tire for about five miles then it goes away. But was very concerning the first morning I drove the car. They handle well in all weather, and are quite after they warm up etc.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by moda_way
Try the Tires section search as well, but I too would say Yoko V4S.
Yep! The stock tires leave much to be desired. The Yokos are great bang for buck. I changed at mine at < 12k and have no second thoughts whatsoever.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:54 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I put a set of 235/45-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE750's on my '04 a few months ago. They handle great (much better than the stock tires) and I hope will last a long time. Even though they perform very well in wet weather, they are a "performance" tire.

Their only downside is that they're directional, and nearly all my high-speed cornering is towards the right, so the outside shoulder of both left tires is scrubbed a lot more than the right-side tires, and I can't cross-rotate them!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by XPLORx4
I put a set of 235/45-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE750's on my '04 a few months ago. They handle great (much better than the stock tires) and I hope will last a long time. Even though they perform very well in wet weather, they are a "performance" tire.

Their only downside is that they're directional, and nearly all my high-speed cornering is towards the right, so the outside shoulder of both left tires is scrubbed a lot more than the right-side tires, and I can't cross-rotate them!

Something doesn't sound right. Did you have the same problem with the OEM tires? What other wear problems or anomalies did you have before you switched and after you switched?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:22 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by MN-TSX
To those of you with the Avons:
Do you have the A/S version? And, have you experienced any flatspotting problems as mentioned in some of the reviews on Tirerack.com?
I read that on Tire Rack, too. I haven't had any flat-spotting with mine in 750 miles (ambient temps have been 25-50 degrees). What tire pressure are you running on them? I'm at 36/34 psi front/rear.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:40 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by Still Water
Anyone out there have more than a few thousand miles/Kms on their set of Avon M550's and if so how have they aged and what's your opinion now v. when you first got them???

I'm curious as to how they perform, sound, ride, etc. after 10k miles+. Any thoughts or comments?
I had some issues with flat spotting when it was really cold out, but I mean really cold... like 0 degrees. But other then that I haven't had problems since it warmed up above 20.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
I had some issues with flat spotting when it was really cold out, but I mean really cold... like 0 degrees. But other then that I haven't had problems since it warmed up above 20.
Thanks for the feedback. BTW how many miles do you have on them and how would you compare them to the OEM's overall?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:57 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally Posted by Still Water
Something doesn't sound right. Did you have the same problem with the OEM tires? What other wear problems or anomalies did you have before you switched and after you switched?
Yes, the OEM tires scrubbed in the same way, but at least I was able to cross-rotate them left-to-right to even out the differences in tire wear between sides.

Because so many of the freeway intersections/offramps where I live are right-hand cloverleaf-style ramps, my next set of tires definitely will NOT be directional!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Pro

Yes, the OEM tires scrubbed in the same way, but at least I was able to cross-rotate them left-to-right to even out the differences in tire wear between sides.

Because so many of the freeway intersections/offramps where I live are right-hand cloverleaf-style ramps, my next set of tires definitely will NOT be directional!
Nope... Something still sounds out of the norm. I'm very familiar with the all the roads in the South Bay and in my opinion they are contibuting little if any to your condition. Define what you mean by directional. Have you modified your car in any way? What happens when you are on a new, flat (relative) road when you take your hands of the wheel at a constant speed, accelerating and on soft & hard breaking? Also how are you checking your air preasure? It might be to your advantage to search through the threads and/or ask the forum some pointed questions. If I were in your situation I wouldn't stop until I found the problem(s). This site is a very good info resource populated with some very knowledgable people. Given enough correct info I know someone here can steer you in the right direction. (Sorry, bad pun) Good Luck
Old 01-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury

One main reason I'm thinking of switching out my OEM's for the Avons is tire noise. Are the Avon's significantly quieter? I can't believe how noisey the Michelins are. It seems like 80% of the noise at highway speed comes from the tires.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by themayor
I can't believe how noisey the Michelins are. It seems like 80% of the noise at highway speed comes from the tires.

Effin' WERD!!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced

I just got back from my first semi-long road trip with the TSX. One highway we were on for an extended period of time had every imaginable surface, new/old asphalt, rough/smooth concrete and it just blew my mind the amount of noise translated through those tires. Some were tolerable (new asphalt) others were downright fatiguing (rough concrete).

I feel like it's such a waste to have to have such a nice, tight interior with minimal engine noise and excellent aerodynamics that limits wind noise all to be ruined by some crappy tires.

Hence I'm considering swapping them out even though I only have 2000 miles on them. Do they have any value to anyone? Do tire stores buy lightly used tires?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got back from my first semi-long road trip with the TSX. One highway we were on for an extended period of time had every imaginable surface, new/old asphalt, rough/smooth concrete and it just blew my mind the amount of noise translated through those tires. Some were tolerable (new asphalt) others were downright fatiguing (rough concrete).

I feel like it's such a waste to have to have such a nice, tight interior with minimal engine noise and excellent aerodynamics that limits wind noise all to be ruined by some crappy tires.

Hence I'm considering swapping them out even though I only have 2000 miles on them. Do they have any value to anyone? Do tire stores buy lightly used tires?
I've seen em on sale in black market. Don't know if they sold or not though.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced

One main reason I'm thinking of switching out my OEM's for the Avons is tire noise. Are the Avon's significantly quieter? I can't believe how noisey the Michelins are. It seems like 80% of the noise at highway speed comes from the tires.
I absolutely agree! The tire kind of ruin the comfort of the car. Anyone know if the Yoko Avid V4S are quieter than stock? These seems like the most bang for the buck tires.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FiVa
I absolutely agree! The tire kind of ruin the comfort of the car. Anyone know if the Yoko Avid V4S are quieter than stock? These seems like the most bang for the buck tires.
Yes, the Avids are quiter. They're great tires.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by green_henry
Yes, the Avids are quiter. They're great tires.
Avons are quieter too, on smoother roads I can hear almost no tire noise at all -- it actually sounded weird the first time I drove home on them, I was so used to the Michelins. On rough/course roads there's some noise, hard to remember if it's less than the OEMs but I think it is.

BTW, with my butt-gyroscope on-ramp tire-traction testing, the OEM's, while predictable, would let go pretty easily at around 55mph. I've gotten to 65mph on the Avons so far with no squealing and certainly no sliding. I will continue to summon the courage to go faster until they break loose and (hopefully) straighten out my line with a little lift-throttle. Wow, tires really do make a difference! The Avons are also TERRIFIC in the rain, as I found out today taking the same on-ramp. They can handle about the same speed in the rain as the OEM's on dry! I mean, wow!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Drifting

You actually can cross rotate them. Think about it... if you wanted to mount them to from the left to the right in the front. You just have to dismount the tire from the wheel and remount them on the opposite wheel. Or... remount and simply flip the wheel around. See what i'm getting at?

Take the tire into consideration without the wheel for a second. Both tires in the front are rotating the same direction right? So they can be cross rotated it's just a PITA.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Drifting

I haven't calculated mileage yet, wanted to get them broken in. I run them 4 psi higher than the Michelins (they're not XL load-rated, so the sidewalls are not as stiff); that might result in a little better mileage.

I'll put about another 1,000 miles on and then report on ride/handling/noise/mileage, but so far I love them.
Put 1000 miles on them yet? Can you report back to us? If you had to do the purchase again... would you buy these for sure? Or any other tire?

thanks
I think i just found my new tires.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Put 1000 miles on them yet? Can you report back to us? If you had to do the purchase again... would you buy these for sure? Or any other tire?

thanks
I think i just found my new tires.
I have about 1500 miles on my Avon 550's and I can report that, having been broken in, they are nothing short of fantastic! Super traction in wet conditions, glued-to-the-road on dry pavement (I haven't found their limits yet on my favorite on-ramps, but I'm WAY beyond the OEM tires' top speed), excellent response in everyday driving, and they're quieter and smoother than the Michelins. They handle higher speeds flawlessly (they seem to really love 90-100mph), and snow traction is very good (although it's been so warm, we've had very little snow).

Would I buy them again? Unquestionably -- I think they'll last me a while, and I can only hope the secret doesn't get out and they're not $175 next time I need tires. Their Tire Rack ratings are spot on, these would be terrific at $175. At $107, there's just no drawback to them if you're in the market for ultra-performance all-season tires.

I've been getting about 25 mpg on them (combined city/hwy driving), about 1-2 mpg better than the Michelins. Get 'em, you'll love 'em.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Drifting

I have about 1500 miles on my Avon 550's and I can report that, having been broken in, they are nothing short of fantastic! Super traction in wet conditions, glued-to-the-road on dry pavement (I haven't found their limits yet on my favorite on-ramps, but I'm WAY beyond the OEM tires' top speed), excellent response in everyday driving, and they're quieter and smoother than the Michelins. They handle higher speeds flawlessly (they seem to really love 90-100mph), and snow traction is very good (although it's been so warm, we've had very little snow).

Would I buy them again? Unquestionably -- I think they'll last me a while, and I can only hope the secret doesn't get out and they're not $175 next time I need tires. Their Tire Rack ratings are spot on, these would be terrific at $175. At $107, there's just no drawback to them if you're in the market for ultra-performance all-season tires.

I've been getting about 25 mpg on them (combined city/hwy driving), about 1-2 mpg better than the Michelins. Get 'em, you'll love 'em.
I want to so bad. But they dont make them in 235/40/18
Old 02-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Drifting

Quick question too... What's the difference between the Yoko Avid H4's and V4's? THe description for them is identical. Yet the H4's rank lower on the consumer thing than the V4's. Whys that? I'm asking because the V4's dont come in 18 inch sizes while the H4 does.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Drifting

How do they track in a straight line? Do they drive on the highway like you are riding on rails?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Quick question too... What's the difference between the Yoko Avid H4's and V4's? THe description for them is identical. Yet the H4's rank lower on the consumer thing than the V4's. Whys that? I'm asking because the V4's dont come in 18 inch sizes while the H4 does.
Simple answer, speed rating.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Drifting

How do they track in a straight line? Do they drive on the highway like you are riding on rails?
Earth to peter. Come in peter.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Race Director

Could you put the Am550's on 18 inch rims? And use them for all year round?

Quick Reply: Tires for a 2004 TSX