Tein suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein suspension

Did someone just had their lowering spring install without the whole damper kit.

I plan to install the tein high.tech spring only. Not willing to spend 1000$$$ for whole kit..

Do someone have a suggestion on how to do this.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 AM
無限 本田 CL9

tein basics are $650, not $1000

aftermarket springs will eventually kill the stock shocks
Old 10-18-2006, 05:29 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_to_tsx

you probably will ended up spending same amount money as basic. Just save more few bucks and get the basic. You wont regret it...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evo_to_tsx

I said in my other post that i just took off the lowering springs and put on the Tein Basics and the ride is soo much better. I actually ended up paying almost the exact same amount for the springs with installation and alignment than i did for the Tein's. The springs ran me $245 (could have went cheaper than that, but didn't shop hard enough), Ingalls camber kit was $144, and total install and alignment was $530....aka, i got ripped off! Never going back there again! Needless to say i spent a little over $600 for the springs and installation whereas i bought the Tein Basics for $665, and installed it myself! For $65, maybe about $165 difference since you are getting S tech's, it is completely worth it!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

So getting the tein basic is actually worth then just the spring itself?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mousefai
So getting the tein basic is actually worth then just the spring itself?
Well it depends on what springs you buy, and if you pay to have them installed or not. I believe the S tech springs are like $140, and install seems to varry greatly depending on where you are located. It you do the springs and do it yourself, you will obviously save a lot of money. I would think most shops would be able to install springs for $150-$200, i just didn't find a decent shop around me to do it for that price. I also had the rear camber kit put in, which you probably will want to get as well. In that case, another $150 for the kit, and maybe $100 for install give or take. But honestly, the handling on the Tein Basics is def worth it compared to the springs!

Are you going install it yourself, or pay some one to do it?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Me and my bro are going to install it, since we know are to.

I plan to just get spring for all 4, and then lowered 1.1inch on front and 0.7 on back. Since lowering too much will need a whole set of kits.

SO in this case, the cost for me would just be the spring.

Do acura take alignment as warranty if you had the aftermarket spring?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Me and my bro are going to install it, since we know are to.

I plan to just get spring for all 4, and then lowered 1.1inch on front and 0.7 on back. Since lowering too much will need a whole set of kits.

SO in this case, the cost for me would just be the spring.

Do acura take alignment as warranty if you had the aftermarket spring?
In that case, then yes the spring would be the cheapest, but just keep in mind, that over time they will wear down your stock suspension fater than normal!

As for the dealership cover an aligment as warranty for you putting on aftermarket springs, only in your dreams!!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you just want a set lowering and want to do it inexpensively, yes buy a set of springs. However, if you have over 30-40k on your shocks and you lower the vehicle the lowering springs will accelerate the decline of your shocks. So in that case it is better to get the TEIN Basics since they include 4 shocks and 4 springs and you won't have to do the job twice.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:38 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't complain when your car is bouncy, or kill your shocks. Your ideal drop is not too much, but it might affect your ride quality.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:52 PM
mmmmmm....

Have you thought about A-spec?? It is very identical to the stock ride. If you are only to drop 1 or so then go with A-spec. Its should cost you no more than $600.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Have you thought about A-spec?? It is very identical to the stock ride. If you are only to drop 1 or so then go with A-spec. Its should cost you no more than $600.
I was going to suggest that but $600 for A spec, i honestly can't see why you wouldn't spend the extra $50-$75 for the Tein Basics because it is just a HUGE differenece in performance with very little ride quality sacrifice!

Edit: I just don't think he wants to spend that and just wants the car lowered.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

NO really, i just open for any option and I am new to suspension.

I see the lowering spring will be a good deal, but many other say get the tein basic would be better.

So I am new .
Old 10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

NO really, i just open for any option and I am new to suspension.

I see the lowering spring will be a good deal, but many other say get the tein basic would be better.

So I am new .
Well in that case, i learned the hard way. Just like Excelerate said, if your car has betwen 30-40k, which mine had 34k, the lowering springs will wear your stock dampeners down much faster. Even if you have low mileage it still will limit your life expectancy of them. I put on the Eibach Pro-kit, a 1.6in drop in the front, and 1.4in in the rear and it road OK and handled pretty well. The ride was bouncy when going over potholes and such. I learned the hard way and after getting Tein Basics, i wish i never blew the money on the springs Do it right the first and only time and get the Basics, unless you really want to spend the money like some of these do and get the FLEX w/ EDFC
Old 10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

i see, thanks.

Where you guys get the tein basic, about what price??

ANy online suggestion?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
mmmmmm....

i see, thanks.

Where you guys get the tein basic, about what price??

ANy online suggestion?
You can get it from our acura vendor. I recommend mr.teeltoe! He is a very nice guy and he can give you a better details about the suspension.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
You can get it from our acura vendor. I recommend mr.teeltoe! He is a very nice guy and he can give you a better details about the suspension.
Couldn't agree more! I ordered mine through MrHeelToe and had a great transaction. Marcus is great to work with and answers any questions you have, and i had a lot!!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 AM
5th Gear

I got my Tein Basics from Marcus as well. Great guy to work with. Planning on installing this weekend along with the Comptech RSB with Energy Suspension bushings and Neuspeed front strut bar.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You shouldn't be cheap when you're upgrading your suspension. It'll affect your ride quality, braking ability, cornering ability, etc. Do your research first, and look at all of your options.

Yes, if your priority is having the look, you can just lower your car by replacing the springs. However, your factory shocks are designed for the factory springs....your aftermarket spring will kill your shocks faster and thus you'll have to buy shocks soon eventually. Thus, if you plan to keep your car for a while (which I'd assume you are since you want to spend money on an upgrade), your option should either be a spring & shock combo or a coilover set.

Springs & shocks are cheap, and are nicer than factory set-up (less brake drive, etc.) However, they are not height-adjustable. Some springs will settle lower than other springs, so you might see one side (or corner) of your car lower than the other side.

Coilovers come in 2 kinds, but it's the more expensive one that's better. (The cheaper one is like a sleeve, and just compresses your spring to lower your car) The more expensive kind comes with springs & shocks that are designed to work together. You can adjust the height, and some even allow you to adjust the dampening.

If you want to buy the tein basic online, we have two vendors here. Mr. Heeltoe is one, and I believe the other one is Excelerate. Mr. Heeltoe is a Tein authorized dealer (and works close by to Tein I believe), so he can answer your questions in detail.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
You shouldn't be cheap when you're upgrading your suspension. It'll affect your ride quality, braking ability, cornering ability, etc. Do your research first, and look at all of your options.

Yes, if your priority is having the look, you can just lower your car by replacing the springs. However, your factory shocks are designed for the factory springs....your aftermarket spring will kill your shocks faster and thus you'll have to buy shocks soon eventually. Thus, if you plan to keep your car for a while (which I'd assume you are since you want to spend money on an upgrade), your option should either be a spring & shock combo or a coilover set.

Springs & shocks are cheap, and are nicer than factory set-up (less brake drive, etc.) However, they are not height-adjustable. Some springs will settle lower than other springs, so you might see one side (or corner) of your car lower than the other side.

Coilovers come in 2 kinds, but it's the more expensive one that's better. (The cheaper one is like a sleeve, and just compresses your spring to lower your car) The more expensive kind comes with springs & shocks that are designed to work together. You can adjust the height, and some even allow you to adjust the dampening.

If you want to buy the tein basic online, we have two vendors here. Mr. Heeltoe is one, and I believe the other one is Excelerate. Mr. Heeltoe is a Tein authorized dealer (and works close by to Tein I believe), so he can answer your questions in detail.
I too though am an authorized dealer for TEIN. You have to click on the state of Connecticut though to see me listed.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Hello guys!

How is performance and ride quality compare between stock (07) and Tein Basics? Between stock and A-Spec, and between A-Spec and Tein Basics?

Thank you very much!

MBA
Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by matvey
Hello guys!

How is performance and ride quality compare between stock (07) and Tein Basics? Between stock and A-Spec, and between A-Spec and Tein Basics?

Thank you very much!

MBA
It is firmer than stock and firmer than the A-spec, but I hesitate to say it is a FIRM suspension:

Originally Posted by heeltoe tech forum
Basics - For the customer who wants to lower the car, improve handling, and retain a relatively nice ride. Most times the ride is comparable to stock. Over certain roads a difference can be felt. This suspension makes the car feel more attached to the road.
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1172765411

Marcus
Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Instructor

I got the H Tech's and a set of Tokico HP's. I bought the H Tech's used ($120) and the HP's on ebay or $260. Installation was $120, and alignment was $90. Drop was pretty decent (I think it looks a little lower than the 1.1"/0.7" it advertises) and I'm pretty happy with it.

I found the Tokico's bouncy at first (as someone else had mentioned) but it's starting to feel like they're settling down (or maybe I'm just used to it now and don't feel it anymore).
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Although a lot of these guys are giving great advice I have to chime in and give my take.

It clearly states on Tein's website that the H-Tech springs are designed specifically to work with your oem shocks and struts. The Htech/Luxury springs have been designed in such a way with springs rates that will not adversely effect your stock shocks. They also will not require a camber kit due to the drop being so minimal 1.1F .7R. It is in no way unsafe to run the H-tech Tein springs with oem shocks and if you don't plan on tracking the car and would just like a little more stability and less brake dive it's an excellent option in my opinion. Just make sure you torque every suspension bolt properly when installing the springs and that you get a four wheel alignment directly afterward.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh another thing I should point out. The Htechs were designed to work with oem or oe replacement shocks which means that a stiffer or shorter shock would actually not be recommended for those particular springs. In theory would you really want to run a spring on a shock it wasn't developed to be run with? In my opinion that's not much different than running a shock with a spring it wasn't designed to be used with.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor

You might be reading into the "designed to work with oem shocks" statement more than most.

Any spring that is a oem replacement is designed to work with oem shocks. Its still a good idea to upgrade them over time though. More aggressive springs need it more frequently yes, but you get the idea. Aftermarket shocks > for use with aftermarket springs.

Marcus
Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Advanced

will tein H tech be good for daily driving?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ronche2424
will tein H tech be good for daily driving?
Yes I was told by a friend who has been using H tech springs with his oem shocks for 2 years that they have almost no difference in ride quality over the stock springs.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

I would recommend just getting some tein basic coilovers... since the dampers work really well with the springs and you can go lower or higher when you feel like it
Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor

The Htechs are great and won't kill the stock shocks fast. Even when you want to change the shocks, the Koni yellows will improve the handling dramatically and can adjust the height. You be better off with an HTECH and Koni than the Basics IMO.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
B A N N E D

^^ would that be cheaper than getting the basics ?.. i wouldnt need to worry bout installation because ill install myself. But im trying to get a nice drop without killing my pockets.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
In June 2007 I went the cheap route, or so I thought.

I bought Eibach Pro springs from Tirerack for $220 for my 07 ASM TL Type-S auto. Then I had the coils installed for $180 and waited 7 hours in the waiting room. Then before I got the car aligned I bought Ingalls best rear camber/toe kit for $150. I then let the coils settle for 2 weeks and then had the Ingall kit installed with an alignment for $250.

So I had $800 Total invested for JUST Eibach Pro coils. I loved the drop, a little over 1". After I crossed the first slightly bad RR Track I thought my car was going to break in half.

Listen to these guys and DON'T DO JUST COILS!!!

I now have a 2006 WDP TL nav manual and I WILL INSTALL MYSELF either A-Spec, Tein Basic, or Tein SS coil/shocks.

Since the coils are already compressed on the shocks, all you have to do is install them, no coils compressor needed. Just 3-5 hours to install, just do research on the easy tips on removal of the back seat. Actually I read you can do it without removing the back seat.

I don't want to spend alot also. I might buy a set of used A-Spec coil-overs for $350, or get Tein Basics. I want the Tein SS but they are too expensive. I am just worried the Tein Basic's will be too hard???

I don't mind a firmer ride, I just want a controlled suspension, and doing JUST coils WILL NOT do that. I know.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Where are people finding Tein Basic's for $650? Looks more like low 8's from what I am seeing?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Can anyone point me in the direction of this one thread. I can't find it but it was from a guy that had the Basics, then installed the SS's and he wrote a long paragraph review on each one and how he had kids and a carseat and wanted lower but not too rough. I've searched everywhere.

Thank you!
J.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
If you don't mind the bumpy feel get basics. If you want some comfort in the dampening get ss or flex.

I know people with ss they have theirs pretty stiff just cuz they like it.
People with flex have the edfc for getting instant softening or track settings.

I personally like my basics, but im young and the bumps aren't bad cuz ive been in cars far worse.

For you, might want to look into ss or flex, atleast you can change the dampening setting.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mrheeltoe
the htechs are great and won't kill the stock shocks fast. Even when you want to change the shocks, the koni yellows will improve the handling dramatically and can adjust the height. You be better off with an htech and koni than the basics imo.
+1
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^hey godfather,i live in Sarasota which is realy close to Tampa.I am planning on buying Tein Basics but here there is no reputable place where i can install them.Can you recommend me a place in the area of Tampa,st.Pete,etc.Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by super20g
Where are people finding Tein Basic's for $650? Looks more like low 8's from what I am seeing?
Wondering the same question.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jliang39
Wondering the same question.
Me three?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Get the Flex! Here's one with your name on it. Just make an offer.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/tein-flex-ssr-gt2-708081/

Quick Reply: Tein suspension