Let the "pro" do the job.
50.00%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Suspension DIY or shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007 | 11:00 PM
Instructor

Suspension DIY or shop?

Do you DIY or let a shop do it for you on suspension installation?

Is it somewhat risky to DIY? I did CAI and it was a simple installation.
Suspension DIY looked kind of straight forward, just much more time consuming.
But again, what do i know.

It's a H&R co.

What did u do and wut'd u recommend?
Old 03-19-2007 | 11:08 PM
Instructor

I've seen it done before because I helped my friend put springs for his corolla, so I know what to do. He had all the power tools needed to make everything go smoothly and it still took us half a day.

I still say DIY because of the learning experience. If you can get someone who has done suspension before to help you, it'll be even better. It's not a job for one person.
Old 03-19-2007 | 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

It depends on the new suspension you are installing. If it doesn't reuse any of stock components, then it's not a difficult install. All you would need is a good floor jack, jack stands, socket set (deep and short), wrench set, 5mm hex key, and torque wrench.
Old 03-19-2007 | 11:24 PM
Instructor

I don't have any power tools and H&R co use stock top mount from OEM. I hope it doesn't complicate things too much.

I didn't invest in socket sets and wrench sets, but instead, I only bought the sizes I needed individually so far. I figured I wouldn't need most of them any way.

I don't mind it taking a long time. I actually enjoyed cai installation even tho it was more time consuming than I thought (removing bumper was an a$$, doing it for the first time) and some bolts didn't budge easily. Now, I'd know how to do it faster/properly.

I hope it's in the same nature.
Old 03-19-2007 | 11:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JTso
It depends on the new suspension you are installing. If it doesn't reuse any of stock components, then it's not a difficult install. All you would need is a good floor jack, jack stands, socket set (deep and short), wrench set, 5mm hex key, and torque wrench.
I completely agree! You may be better off ordering a set of the upper mounts. This will make the install that much easier, and it will make it that much easier again if you ever want to revert back to the stock set-up. Heeltoe Automotive, a vendor from the forum offers such a package:

Genuine Upper Mount Hat Kit

DIY is always fun, but if you're planning on removing the factory hats without the right tools (E.g. compressor), it can be dangerous!

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2007 | 11:52 PM
2006 ASM tsx

so if i order a full aspec kit diy!?
Old 03-20-2007 | 12:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by etarui
I completely agree! You may be better off ordering a set of the upper mounts. This will make the install that much easier, and it will make it that much easier again if you ever want to revert back to the stock set-up. Heeltoe Automotive, a vendor from the forum offers such a package:

Genuine Upper Mount Hat Kit

DIY is always fun, but if you're planning on removing the factory hats without the right tools (E.g. compressor), it can be dangerous!

Good luck!
I will be renting a spring comp. from canadiantire if I decide to diy.
The upper mount costs quite a bit. The price is almost same as getting ti doen at a shop.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-20-2007 | 12:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ebell
I will be renting a spring comp. from canadiantire if I decide to diy.
The upper mount costs quite a bit. The price is almost same as getting ti doen at a shop.

Thanks for the advice.
Again...the main benefits are the ease of installation, and reverting back to stock in the future. While it may cost a little more up front, it may save you money in the long run. Additionally, even if it costs the same as having it done at a shop, you now have 2 complete sets of suspension components, the thrill of DIY, and the peace of mind knowing the install was done correctly.
Old 03-20-2007 | 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Guys, i seriously had NEVER done any suspension work on any car before (except a 1958 VW Beetle, but that sure doesn't count) and i was able to do a Tein Basics install pretty easy. This time i am getting ready to the aspec installation and that will be even easier since its a direct replacement and no spring compressor needed. However, a word to everyone, DO NOT GO CHEAP ON A SPRING COMPRESSOR. It is the only things that holds the spring together while you take it apart or put it back together and you want to make sure you are safe. I bought a cheap one because i was in a hurry when putting my old 04 back to stock and those suckers were bending and the locking washer even popped off!! It was very scary but i finished everything just fine. Other than that, easy and saves a TON of money!
Old 03-20-2007 | 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

The bigger issue is dealing with spring compression. If you are just swapping springs, you're taking a risk.
Old 03-20-2007 | 09:23 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by moda_way
The bigger issue is dealing with spring compression. If you are just swapping springs, you're taking a risk.
Yea, but you could "borrow" a spring compressor from any autostore.

I think if you dont have an impact wrench, forget about it.
Old 03-20-2007 | 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

My would be to get the oem hat kit and DIY. You can do it with just hand tools and a spring compressor. Can't say I've done it (the spring compressor / hat part) but I've seen it done easily. If you do go the hat kit route, you'll have 2 full suspensions that you can easily change back and forth as you please, even if it is only once in a few years to return the car back to stock to sell it. Then you'll have a whole suspension to sell too, to recoup some costs.
Old 03-20-2007 | 12:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Reach
My would be to get the oem hat kit and DIY. You can do it with just hand tools and a spring compressor.
I don't believe you will need a spring compressor if you purchase the hat kit.
Old 03-20-2007 | 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

You'd need to compress the H&R springs once to install the hats (just one time)... right?
Old 03-20-2007 | 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

It all depends on what you are installing. I think by your first post, you have a set of H&R springs. If this is the case, and you have just the springs, then you shouldn't even buy the top mounts because you still have to compress the stock spring to get it off to reuse everything else. The only reason you would want to buy those additional top mounts is if you buy a setup like Tein Basics or SS (or the like) so that you can put the top hats on, use a floor jack to load it up and then tighten. However, i don't see anyway to change springs themselves without the use of a spring compressor regardless of if you buy the top mounts.

(I think that made sense, but its at the end of the day and i have been drawing a bridge in AutoCAD 3D all day long, so i could have messed that up.) lol
Old 03-20-2007 | 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
It all depends on what you are installing. I think by your first post, you have a set of H&R springs. If this is the case, and you have just the springs, then you shouldn't even buy the top mounts because you still have to compress the stock spring to get it off to reuse everything else. The only reason you would want to buy those additional top mounts is if you buy a setup like Tein Basics or SS (or the like) so that you can put the top hats on, use a floor jack to load it up and then tighten. However, i don't see anyway to change springs themselves without the use of a spring compressor regardless of if you buy the top mounts.

(I think that made sense, but its at the end of the day and i have been drawing a bridge in AutoCAD 3D all day long, so i could have messed that up.) lol
Do not mess up the bridge, I may drive on it someday.
Old 03-20-2007 | 03:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
Do not mess up the bridge, I may drive on it someday.
HAHA....Thanks! That is what all my friends say. Our work gets checked many many times and goes through Quality Assurance checks too (I'm not designing any CA bridges anytime soon anyway...lol)

I only working on a 3D image for our client right now. Preliminary design is done and final design hasn't started yet, so i'm just providing something visual for our client.
Old 03-20-2007 | 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

You'd need to compress the H&R springs once to install the hats (just one time)... right?
I think OP is installing a coilover setup without the hats. Kind of like Tein Basic or SS.
Old 03-20-2007 | 10:42 PM
Instructor

Sorry guys, I guess I wasn't clear of my situation.

I have H&R coilover ready to be installed when the snow/salt is gone (also waiting for a camber kit). H&R coilovers don't have top mounts, so I have to re-use the oem ones.

I have no power tools, just manual tools with good old arms and legs
If I do diy, I will be borrowing a spring compressor from a store (for free!!!)

I prolly won't put the oem susp. back on, unless I sell the car (very unlikely in near future) or anything goes wrong with H&R.

Keep it coming guys.

I should be fine following "aspec diy instructions" for the most part, no?
Old 03-20-2007 | 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, I was assuming as JTso said, so if he got a hat kit and installed it on the coilovers, he would have 2 full suspension setups.
Old 03-21-2007 | 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I was assuming as JTso said, so if he got a hat kit and installed it on the coilovers, he would have 2 full suspension setups.

+1 Now that i know you have coilovers, yes, just get the top mounts and have it assembled and you will be ready to go
Old 03-22-2007 | 04:06 PM
Racer

From my experience with different installs (not necessarily the TSX), a spring compressor is not needed when installing lowering springs. Since the spring is not as long, you should be able to get the top on without any special tools. In some cases, you may need an extra hand to push the top down, while the other person tightens down the top nut.
Old 03-22-2007 | 05:42 PM
Instructor

LET THE PROS DO IT suspension is very touchy in safety. let the pros handle it
Old 03-31-2007 | 10:42 AM
Instructor

I noticed there are bunch of washers involved in the top mount installation.

Does that mean I have to buy the washers if I am going to reuse the OEM parts or am I okay with reusing them?
Old 03-31-2007 | 11:35 AM
Instructor

Dang, missed my 5 min edit period:

I have a question regarding the washers in the top mount.

I couldn't find the installation instructions for H&R co, so I found a Tein basics installation guide. I am guessing the parts I need from OEM should be identical.
Does that mean I have to buy the washers if I am going to reuse the OEM parts or am I okay with reusing them? If not, what are the dimensions of the washer I have to buy?

Weird thing I noticed on Basics installation guide. Upper spring seats (USS01-H0897) used in the fronts are neither included in the package nor used from OEM. where is this extra spring seat coming from?

ps. ne of you bought a top mount hat kit instead?
Old 03-31-2007 | 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

where can I purchase a spring compressor and how much do they run for??
Old 03-31-2007 | 02:09 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by ebell
Dang, missed my 5 min edit period:

I have a question regarding the washers in the top mount.

I couldn't find the installation instructions for H&R co, so I found a Tein basics installation guide. I am guessing the parts I need from OEM should be identical.
Does that mean I have to buy the washers if I am going to reuse the OEM parts or am I okay with reusing them? If not, what are the dimensions of the washer I have to buy?

Weird thing I noticed on Basics installation guide. Upper spring seats (USS01-H0897) used in the fronts are neither included in the package nor used from OEM. where is this extra spring seat coming from?

ps. ne of you bought a top mount hat kit instead?
There is a DIY thread that has pics of everything needed.
Old 03-31-2007 | 02:10 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
Sears.. I dunno about price.
Old 03-31-2007 | 10:30 PM
Instructor

Most auto shops sell them ranging from 20-150$

Which DIY are you talking about? I only see Aspec DIY and that doesn't answer my question.
Old 04-29-2007 | 02:11 PM
Racer

cant find it either
Old 04-29-2007 | 04:54 PM
Advanced

It really depends if you have the tools, time, and space. When I had a garage, I swapped out springs and shocks on my prelude myself. Since I've gone to college, I have to park my tsx under a carport now. I ended up paying only $100 for a shop to do the install of my Tein SS for me.
Old 04-30-2007 | 03:13 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

THIS is the spring compressor I used (on JTso's recommendation) to install my Tein Basics and my brother's. It works perfectly and is much safer than the cheaper kind you generally get from an auto parts place or from Sears (which, as others have pointed out, are risky). If you're handy with tools and your various bolts aren't rusted into little nubs, the job will take 3-4 hours and is not technically difficult.
Old 04-30-2007 | 04:14 PM
I Quit

when doing the aspec suspension, is an alignment really needed for just the 1" drop?
Old 05-02-2007 | 11:39 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by clee109
when doing the aspec suspension, is an alignment really needed for just the 1" drop?
Alignment needed after any drop.
Old 05-02-2007 | 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by clee109
Yep! Any drop you'll need to get one but with the aspec make sure you wait like a week or so it can settle in a little.
Old 05-03-2007 | 06:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

I had a clubrsx mod/admin install my Tein SS coilovers and after watching him, I would never consider doing the job myself...he worked lightening fast, didn't need to look at any directions, and it took him 4 hours to complete...there is too much you need to do and too much you need to remember. I would NOT recommend doing this if you are a noob. If you plan on doing this yourself, I would at least watch/help someone do it on their car first so you have an idea of what you are going to have to do.

P.S. he didn't need a spring compressor to take the upper mounts off
Old 05-04-2007 | 12:28 AM
Advanced

I had a clubrsx mod/admin install my Tein SS coilovers and after watching him, I would never consider doing the job myself...he worked lightening fast, didn't need to look at any directions, and it took him 4 hours to complete...there is too much you need to do and too much you need to remember. I would NOT recommend doing this if you are a noob. If you plan on doing this yourself, I would at least watch/help someone do it on their car first so you have an idea of what you are going to have to do.

P.S. he didn't need a spring compressor to take the upper mounts off
If he really did not use a spring compressor, then please fill us in as to how he was able to prevent the spring from shooting out. Only a complete idiot will point the top at something to stop the spring when it shoots.

Changing the suspension is just a little bit tougher than changing your brake pads. I would rate suspension a 4 on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being easy and 10 being hard. If you're a noob at it, and do not have anybody to help you out personally, then give yourself up to 8 hours to complete the task.

If you purchase a extra set of tophats, then it would make the install a lot easier because you will not have to disassemble the oem shocks. Other than that, the rest is a complete bolt on.

You're really making it sound really hard, CGTSX07. There is not much that you have to remember except for only a few bolts here and there, and they're fairly large bolts too.
Old 05-04-2007 | 12:48 AM
Instructor

I did it myself with a few friends. It is totally diy material if you have some tools.
Old 05-04-2007 | 01:02 AM
Drifting

ebell, what did your spring compressor look like?

i just signed one out from canadian tire, and it may look like it would only be for springs (i.e. may not be able to compress springs while still wrapped around the shock).

the one i have is this:

Old 05-04-2007 | 01:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anthongy817
If he really did not use a spring compressor, then please fill us in as to how he was able to prevent the spring from shooting out. Only a complete idiot will point the top at something to stop the spring when it shoots.
i believe a tein ss install does not require the use of the oem upper mounts.

Quick Reply: Suspension DIY or shop?