Suggestions for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Suggestions for new tires

I found these and a few others on tire rack, but overall these have good ratings across the tire rack survey reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=V

looking to spend around 100 bucks per tire.

i just need them for average everyday driving. i live in central NJ, but only drive locally usually or on the parkway or local highways for about 10-15 miles a day.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
No room in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any experience with them, but for what it's worth, I also ended up with those as my first choice for stock replacement all-seasons after poring over tire selection on TireRack. If they live up to the ratings I don't see how you can beat the bang for the buck - the two tires that are rated higher in that category are $155 each
Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
The General Exclaim UHP is available in the OE size now and I doubt you could beat it for the money (it was rated and I assume still is #1 in its' survey category). TireRack always sold this as a summer tire (they may still, I don't know) but it's actually rated (and marked) all season. I've had a few sets of these, and although I've only used them as summer tires (I'm a firm believer in a set of 4 dedicated winter tires), if I were going to go the all season route, I'd stick with them.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Proud Acura Owner

and the main thing is that the dunlops have solid tirerack survey ratings across the board. so thats good.

just one question, one reviewer on tirerack said that the tires caused their fuel economy to drop in a honda civic?

i have a 2004 tsx, so maybe that was just a car-specific issue for that one person.

i mean i will definitely look at some other tires for comparison before i buy.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
The General Exclaim UHP is available in the OE size now and I doubt you could beat it for the money (it was rated and I assume still is #1 in its' survey category). TireRack always sold this as a summer tire (they may still, I don't know) but it's actually rated (and marked) all season. I've had a few sets of these, and although I've only used them as summer tires (I'm a firm believer in a set of 4 dedicated winter tires), if I were going to go the all season route, I'd stick with them.
96 bucks is a great price. How are these compared to OEM in terms of comfort and wet/dry traction on a TSX. I commute and this is big for me.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Proud Acura Owner

but it says those tires are not good in icy and freezing temps. i live in NJ, so in the winter, you never know what this weather can bring. From March to October, those generals will be fine. but come nov-january, i might have problems driving through ice and snow.

im looking for all-season tires, not summer tires.

the dunlops are only 11 bucks more each at $107.00, so i might just go with those and get all-season tires.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Proud Acura Owner

any other suggestions? for good tires at around 100 bucks?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Dunlops on other cars and they were both crap (in wet weather, and for treadwear).

I have the General Exclaim UHP's on my TSX now and will DEFINITELY buy another set in a few years. They are awesome. I also put them on my wifes' car as well last week and she loves 'em as well.

Wet-weather is their best improvement over OEM, and dry handling, noise, and comfort are all very, very impressive. I have them in the slightly wider and shorter 225/45-17 and couldn't be happier, especially for the price.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by curls
I've had 2 sets of Dunlops on other cars and they were both crap (in wet weather, and for treadwear).

I have the General Exclaim UHP's on my TSX now and will DEFINITELY buy another set in a few years. They are awesome. I also put them on my wifes' car as well last week and she loves 'em as well.

Wet-weather is their best improvement over OEM, and dry handling, noise, and comfort are all very, very impressive. I have them in the slightly wider and shorter 225/45-17 and couldn't be happier, especially for the price.
any experience with General Exclaim UHP's 215/50-17, not sure if it makes a difference whether it is 225/45-17 or 215/50-17. I am planning to get tires changed on my 06 TSX.

thanks

dm
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
No room in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dnm5164
any experience with General Exclaim UHP's 215/50-17, not sure if it makes a difference whether it is 225/45-17 or 215/50-17. I am planning to get tires changed on my 06 TSX.

thanks

dm
I doubt there would be a significant difference. The wider tread and stiffer sidewall might have slightly better grip and turn-in flex, but otherwise I'd expect it to be pretty much comparable. The Generals are rated very well at Tire Rack. I ordered them on my new wheels in 235/40R18, but I just got them today so I won't have them mounted until the weekend

Last edited by Takran; 04-13-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Last year the 215/50-17 weren't available in the UHP's. I do believe the 225/45's are slightly lighter as they're only rated SL (standard load) as opposed to the 215/50 which are XL (extra load). Technically our TSX calls for XL tires but many, many members are running SL's with a few psi extra, without any problems whatsoever.

I prefer the slightly wider (225) width as it gives a bit better grip, and the shorter sidewall (45) means less sidewall flex.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Proud Acura Owner

well im not trying to alter any of the car's default specs.
im just a normal driver, not an enthusiast or racer or anything.

i just want tires for around a 100 bucks each that give me a little better performance than the stock michelins i have.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
You can go with the exclaim but their summer rated tires so you don't get much mileage, better look at all seasons.

I had the exclaim as summer tires their great, although the sidewalls are quite weak which scare me and had a few replacements already. Poor mileage for summer was hoping for more but they are summer rated tires.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
so we can go up to 225 on the stock rims for an 04 with no problems?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:40 PM
7th Gear

go with bridgestone alittle high on money but grips like hell
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by monster18
go with bridgestone alittle high on money but grips like hell
which bridgestones?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do like the Falkens 912 (30k mileage warrantee) on my stock rims. Good dry/wet handling, quiet, comfortable. I'm also a 'joysey boy' and, snow/ice handling is not a forte of this tire. However, good, sensible driving skills in winter; will see you through. At @ $95 a tire–shipped from Discount Tire Direct, its hard to beat.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by DiaBando
I do like the Falkens 912 (30k mileage warrantee) on my stock rims. Good dry/wet handling, quiet, comfortable. I'm also a 'joysey boy' and, snow/ice handling is not a forte of this tire. However, good, sensible driving skills in winter; will see you through. At @ $95 a tire–shipped from Discount Tire Direct, its hard to beat.
I've run both the Falkens and the Generals, and though they're both good tires, I found the Falkens to be much noisier (and old technology; they were rated number 1 by Consumer Reports like 10 years ago). And I will repeat that the General UHP is actually an all season tire (if you doubt me, check their website)(and anyone that actually has a set, just check the sidewall). Tire Rack markets them as an "Ultra High Performance Summer" (the name would indicate as much I guess: "Exclaim UHP") tire and I'm not making any claims about their winter performance. One key difference though, is that since they're not in reality a summer tire, if nothing else, they don't turn in to hockey pucks at 25 degrees.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM

I've run both the Falkens and the Generals, and though they're both good tires, I found the Falkens to be much noisier (and old technology; they were rated number 1 by Consumer Reports like 10 years ago). And I will repeat that the General UHP is actually an all season tire (if you doubt me, check their website)(and anyone that actually has a set, just check the sidewall). Tire Rack markets them as an "Ultra High Performance Summer" (the name would indicate as much I guess: "Exclaim UHP") tire and I'm not making any claims about their winter performance. One key difference though, is that since they're not in reality a summer tire, if nothing else, they don't turn in to hockey pucks at 25 degrees.
An "All Season" rating has absolutely nothing to do with the rubber, ONLY the tread pattern. Basically, a percentage of the tread must be voids to move water/slush (which is why racing slicks, no matter what the rubber they might want to use, will never get the "M+S" rating signifying all-season).

I have the UHP's and can attest first hand to the fact that they are a soft rubber compound and DO firm up considerably below 7*C / 45*F or so. I can feel the bounciness (park when warm, overnight they cool off and firm up and cause flat spots). It goes away within 1km or so, once the tires start to heat up.

I would NEVER run these in snow deeper than 1cm. And definately not over any slick (icy) roads.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by curls
An "All Season" rating has absolutely nothing to do with the rubber, ONLY the tread pattern. Basically, a percentage of the tread must be voids to move water/slush (which is why racing slicks, no matter what the rubber they might want to use, will never get the "M+S" rating signifying all-season).

I have the UHP's and can attest first hand to the fact that they are a soft rubber compound and DO firm up considerably below 7*C / 45*F or so. I can feel the bounciness (park when warm, overnight they cool off and firm up and cause flat spots). It goes away within 1km or so, once the tires start to heat up.

I would NEVER run these in snow deeper than 1cm. And definately not over any slick (icy) roads.
The tread pattern is indeed a factor, but what makes summer tires hazardous in the winter (by that I mean cold weather) is indeed the rubber. And by no means take my word for it. It's mentioned numerous times in the Tire Rack tire tech pages as well as elsewhere. Google the subject and you can find plenty of supporting data. I'm a firm believer in summer and winter sets, and have been for years. But if I'm not mistaken, the issue here (this thread) is not the merits (or not) of using summer tires in cold weather (or all season tires for that matter). My point here was that the General Exclaim UHP is an all season tire. I use it as a summer tire and make no claims, good or bad, about it's potential usefulness in the winter. But..... millions of vehicles in this country (all over this country) use all-season tires 12 months a year with little or no complaint. Remember that we represent just a razor thin sliver of the motoring public and the vast majority of drivers just go along with their all-seasons and for the most part do just fine. Your supposed experience would indicate evidently that the Exclaim UHP in not a good year round choice. Point taken. But you may want to do a little more research before making such blanket statements as "the "All Season" rating has absolutely nothing to do with the rubber".
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Falken 512, is what you mean as 10 year-old tech. Not the 912.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 AM

But you may want to do a little more research before making such blanket statements as "the "All Season" rating has absolutely nothing to do with the rubber".
According to the RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association)... the .org that guarantees rubber analysis in winter tires (mountain+snowflake symbol), and designates "all-season" tires with the "M+S / Mud and Snow" rating:
M+S marking on tires is very misleading.

Many AWD tires are rated M+S, M&S or M/S, i.e., mud and snow. Established by the USA Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), the M+S designation refers only to the tread pattern. The M+S standard calls for a tire with grooves at the outside of the tread that extend into the centre. It also means that 25% of the tire tread contact surface be open, i.e., a more open tread pattern.
You will find the M+S symbol on most all-season tires, on off-road and all-terrain tires and even some high performance summer tires may have this designation. However, there are no performance standards to meet or traction tests to pass. Any tyre with grooves at angles and with 25% of the tread void can be labelled as M+S.
Note that there is NO mention of rubber, only of tread grooves and percentages.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Aside from the M+S designation, and the severe winter designation (the mountain/snowflake), there is NO RATING for all season tires. It was conceived by the manufacturers, not a ratings organization, and technically you could use a tire with a racing compound rubber but as long as it had the grooves and 25% open area, it'd be considered M+S. And any tire, even a racing slick, could be labelled "all season", because there's no reprimand for doing so -- it's just a label with no legal basis.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A year ago I was leaning towards a set of Avons but now, based on what I've read on Tirerack and the reviews herein, I think I'm going to take a shot at the Generals. I'm at 44K mi. on the OEM set and still have a little tread left but the noise they generate is becoming unbearable.

edit: Actually I'm still torn between the General UHP and the Yoko Avid V.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
5th Gear

This is my first post to this forum but I have read numerous threads... I just got Falken 912s size 225/45/17 on the stock rims and I have had noticeable vibrations on the highway from speeds 50+. I can feel the vibrations in my seat not just in the steering wheel. I bought the tires from Mavis Discount Tire. I complained about this issue and went back and had them re balanced twice. Which has not fixed the problem. Could the larger size tire be causing the vibrations? Or are they still not balancing it properly. If any of you guys have any ideas i would really appreciate a response. On a lighter note, I have noticed improved handling and grip especially on wet roads.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 PM

I had a set of Falken 512's before that more than one of the tires was out-of-round. No matter how much it said it was 'balanced', it was still a rolling oval. I won't buy Falken's again after that (and a piss-poor treadlife experience as well).

Jack up a corner, spin the tire, and see if it bulges or seems wonky. That would be a potential area to get a replacement tire free-of-charge as a manufacturers defect.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

I have the General Exclaims in 225/40/18 and they are an improvement in all areas over OEM. Sure there are better tires than these, but for the money, the Exclaims cannot be beat on value.

I live in California so I have no idea how these handle in cold weather, but if you want a budget performer and don't live where it gets too cold, I'd get the Generals.

I was actually torn between the yoko s.drives and these, but the s.drives were out of stock so i thought i'd give these a try.

I did notice that the sidewall was a little softer than what I would want, but nothing too bad. Maybe I'm running too low of a PSI or something.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Anyone here try the General Altimax HP? I just looked up the Exclaim UHP's and after reading the comments I don't like what's being said about snow. It does snow here 1-2 times per season. The Altimax has outstanding reviews - comparable to the Pole Positions I was planning to get, but they're ~$50 cheaper per tire. I'm close to replacing and I'm now thinking the Generals...