Are the stock tires that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the stock tires that bad?

Hi everyone,

I feel that the TSX is a little noisy as compared to other cars in its class. Is this due to the stock tires? I know on rough roads the tires are really noisy. Is the car more quieter with after-market / good tires?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

still on my oem set and probably will be for another (17k miles)30k since they seem to wear so slowly. But i can tell you they suck for traction!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ck123; 11-08-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Still on oem tires, getting new ones for xmas. IMO they have excellent traction. The tires have 65,000 miles on them.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Thanks for your replies. IMO they don't have good traction and are very noisy. That was the whole point of me starting this thread.. just want to see how many people agree with me now!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:29 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, their traction is terrible.
and the road noise is also terrible.
not sure about wear, for I only put up with them for about 3,500 miles.

if you think the OEM tires have great traction, well frankly
you've never had nice tires.

I switched tires, but stayed with Michelin.
I now ride on Pilot Sport PS2's, and the difference is almost
unbelievable.

The stock tires suck both on dry and on wet roads.
They don't hold well on high speed turns, they slip and make
lots of noise. They're "greasy" for sure in the rain. I never trusted
them in the rain after I took a concrete off ramp I always used to take
at 60 mph (just one highway that leads to another highway) and the
car began to slightly lose traction.
I was actually kinda shocked at how bad the OEM tires were, all around.

now having the PS2's on the car, all of those concerns are gone.
I've pushed these tires far harder than the OEM ones, and they've passed
every test with flying colors. the OEM ones failed every test pretty badly.

so I guess if all you do is just drive on the interstate and you don't drive in
any sort of spirited manner, than the OEM tires would be adequate for you.
but for me, they're somewhat of a safety concern, they had to go.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
yes, their traction is terrible.
and the road noise is also terrible.
not sure about wear, for I only put up with them for about 3,500 miles.

if you think the OEM tires have great traction, well frankly
you've never had nice tires.

I switched tires, but stayed with Michelin.
I now ride on Pilot Sport PS2's, and the difference is almost
unbelievable.

The stock tires suck both on dry and on wet roads.
They don't hold well on high speed turns, they slip and make
lots of noise. They're "greasy" for sure in the rain. I never trusted
them in the rain after I took a concrete off ramp I always used to take
at 60 mph (just one highway that leads to another highway) and the
car began to slightly lose traction.
I was actually kinda shocked at how bad the OEM tires were, all around.

now having the PS2's on the car, all of those concerns are gone.
I've pushed these tires far harder than the OEM ones, and they've passed
every test with flying colors. the OEM ones failed every test pretty badly.

so I guess if all you do is just drive on the interstate and you don't drive in
any sort of spirited manner, than the OEM tires would be adequate for you.
but for me, they're somewhat of a safety concern, they had to go.
Sounds good...
Just wondering by how much did the noise reduce inside the car, was it by 2x or 3x? I guess it's hard to enjoy the car without good tires..
Old 11-09-2008, 04:04 PM
JDM Addict

probably only by 2x.

it is certainly much quieter on the road noise issue, but not
quiet enough for my liking.
I'd like to never hear the tires, but that's still not the case.
our car isn't the best at noise insulation to begin with.
I'd like to improve the quietness of the cab somehow, maybe
with some strategically placed dynamat or something.
if I ever tear the car apart to do a custom interior, I'll line
the cab with dynamat.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
OP: Many here have said that for an all around decent all season tire, you could try out the Yokohama Avid V4S. They're definitely grippier than the stocks, but they aren't top of the line in terms of traction. Where they do excel, however, is road noise. If you search here on the forum you'll see many recommendations for these tires as they're very comfortable to ride on and are much quieter than the stock Michelins. Honestly, I think there are a lot of all season tires that are quieter than our pos stockies. I'm still waiting for mine to wear out.

Last edited by Jottle; 11-09-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Advanced

I have also yokohama avid V4S and I was shock to see the difference between those and the stock ones. They handle better, much more quieter and about the same life span. Of course they are 4 seasons radial and not I performance tire like the yoko advan. but for the price and if your are still riding your car on stock suspension they are pretty good.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by shun_kim
I have also yokohama avid V4S and I was shock to see the difference between those and the stock ones. They handle better, much more quieter and about the same life span. Of course they are 4 seasons radial and not I performance tire like the yoko advan. but for the price and if your are still riding your car on stock suspension they are pretty good.
I'm thinking about getting these as well. I hate the road noise from the stock tires at highway speeds. How many miles do you have on the yoko's, and have they become any louder over time? Also, is the ride more comfortable? I often get a little queasy from the tight stock suspension our car has. I wouldn't mind a tiny bit softer ride but not at the complete expense of handling.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Unregistered User

Every production car comes out of factory with the cheapest tires. Company wants to have some money left so they give u the cheapest tires. I had 03 Pontiac Vibe with 38 k miles and stock tires were worn out. So I bought new, soft ones. Difference was HUGE. Car was much quieter, better traction, softer ride. Same thing with these michelins.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM
it's a car-drive it

I know the majority of you think the OEM tires are crap. I want to give my personal experience with them. Some of the previous brand tires I have owned: goodyear, bridgestone, michelin (energy), cooper, firestone, continental, and more. Owned vehicles with FWD,RWD, 4WD and AWD. With our 06 with the OEM tires we have been on 2 cross country road trips(13,000+miles total) covering all types of roads in all kinds of weather. Tires now have 65,256 miles (just came back from driving in a heavy downpour on a highway with traffic lights and a speed limit of 55-no problems driving with the so-called lousy tires. One more thing the car is totally stock-not lowered. Average 32,000+miles a year.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jottle
I'm thinking about getting these as well. I hate the road noise from the stock tires at highway speeds. How many miles do you have on the yoko's, and have they become any louder over time? Also, is the ride more comfortable? I often get a little queasy from the tight stock suspension our car has. I wouldn't mind a tiny bit softer ride but not at the complete expense of handling.
It was my fourth summer with it. I probably put around 20,000 miles on them so far. Still at 7/32. new they are 10/32. They didn't become more loud. Still very quiet and ride quality is a bit better than the stock. Handling is way better than those crappy MXM4.

Last edited by shun_kim; 11-14-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shun_kim
I have had the V4Ses for about 15000 miles. They aren't that good, IMHO. Noise was much better for the first few thousand miles, but now they're just as loud as the OEMs, if not louder. Traction is good, but the tires definitely flat spot when the car is parked overnight. They don't squeal as much as the OEMs, but I use snow tires through most of my bad weather, so I can't say for certain just how good the wet/snow traction is (probably better than OEM). Gas mileage is noticeably worse with the V4Ses than either the OEMs or my snow tires (10% worse). I will probably try a different tire when these are worn out.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jswim99
I have had the V4Ses for about 15000 miles. They aren't that good, IMHO. Noise was much better for the first few thousand miles, but now they're just as loud as the OEMs, if not louder. Traction is good, but the tires definitely flat spot when the car is parked overnight. They don't squeal as much as the OEMs, but I use snow tires through most of my bad weather, so I can't say for certain just how good the wet/snow traction is (probably better than OEM). Gas mileage is noticeably worse with the V4Ses than either the OEMs or my snow tires (10% worse). I will probably try a different tire when these are worn out.
Interesting. I've heard that they get louder over time. I'm still looking for a very quiet and comfortable tire that has about as good grip as the OEM. Any recommendations?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Everyone has a different opinion and preferences, but yes, stock Michelin all season sucks for traction and noise.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

All I have to say in this thread is they SUCK ASS. I've gone threw 2 sets. I now have a set of rims so I've put another brand. I only have 80,000 miles and only resently lowered the car around 72,000 miles where I went threw the 2 Mich.. tires.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the OEM tires are VERY NOISY. They are also very low rated on Tirerack.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
For good reason, they're shyte.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
it's a car-drive it

I personally thought the OEM tires on my 05 honda civic ex were extremely noisy (Bridgestone)
Old 12-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Instructor

I recently changed my OEM tries with winter ( i went with Michelin X-Ice for my spare rims) and they are noisy when compared to the OEM Tires..

I have 70K Miles on my car and the OEM Tires are still fine..!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Race Director

I replaced my stock tires around 49,500 miles. Now, I have goodyear eagle HR's.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I've raced on them numerous times in dry and wet, and trust me they are terrible for traction. Tires are the next things to go for me.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Although it would have been preferred to go with a winter tire/summer tire, I don't have the space to store the extra set of rims. I had 55k on my stockers and the fronts were pretty bald. I never thought they were as bad as people said with regards to traction, but they were fairly noisy.

I read and heard good things about the Bridgestone Turanza with Serentity. Had pretty good grip in dry roads and they were very quiet. These things are not good on ice or snow, even though they seemed to be rated decent by reviewers. So bad that I was really bummed about spending $700 on something my wife would not even drive in the winter. Damn orange traction control light was gonna burn out with these tires.

Luckily Bridgestone has a 30 day buy and try thing, so back to the mfr they go. I'm going to try the Goodyear Assurance with Triple Tread and going a different route. Instead of quiet, I need some good winter grip and good summer grip. Guess I'll find out how noisy they are, but right now I need some traction and will take the tradeoff.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ Bulldog, did you happen to notice if your fuel economy changed while you were on the Bridgestones?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Possibly, but it's been so cold here lately that I wouldn't be able to say for sure. My commute in the summer is usually 29 mpg, winter is 26.5 mpg. I was getting 25.2 on my last tank with the Bridgestones. Most of the morning temps have been between -15 and 0 though, so this may be the real reason for the drop.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced

OEM tires are crappy, zero traction and loud.
Switched to Falken ZE 912's much more quite and it grips the road like spiderman.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Racer

I trashed my OEM tires in my first year of having them. They really suck. I got those Bridgestones Pole Position RE960.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Yokohama S. Drive tires rock on the TSX. Great price too.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:21 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by mars
I recently changed my OEM tries with winter ( i went with Michelin X-Ice for my spare rims) and they are noisy when compared to the OEM Tires..

I have 70K Miles on my car and the OEM Tires are still fine..!!!
I now have 68,000+miles on the original OEM and was recently advised I did not need new tires yet-I am very pleased with them. I do a lot of driving in all kinds of weather on all types of roads.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The tires are ok for OEM I suppose but I do lose traction from time to time. I don't floor it or anything but the traction could def be better. When it rains and I am turning and accelerating up a hill I kinda slide out but I get traction fast again but from time to time it's kinda annoying.

As for noise it isn't too bad since I am used to it. I suppose because the tires are a bit of a low profile type so of course the less rubber means the more noise and bumps in the road you will feel. Overall I can deal with them but it would be nice if they upgraded the traction control overall for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Brum Brum!!

Originally Posted by dlee74
I trashed my OEM tires in my first year of having them. They really suck. I got those Bridgestones Pole Position RE960.
Anybody else get these tires. They seem to be top of the line but quite expensive...any deals out there....Also, for a nice set of tires and installation, what should I be paying roughly? I'm a newb when it comes to tires. Help!!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

I'm looking for some of u guys advise. My drive is spirited los hwy-city 60 mi during weekdays, I'm not an expert but I think the oem are noise, I'm in DFW with just a few days w/icy conditions no snow at all a good time of rain days. So I need a good advise to replace my tsx 05 2nd set of oem's.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nubasaurs
OEM tires are crappy, zero traction and loud.
Switched to Falken ZE 912's much more quite and it grips the road like spiderman.

falken 912 are OK at best. I have them on my teg and they dont grip that well but better than a lot of all seasons.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yes, the oem michelins do suck.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
it's a car-drive it

according to the April 2009 consumer's report they were rated #1 for all-season performance (v-rated speed. Yokohama Avids V4s were #2 and Michelin Pilot Exalto A/s were #3.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Consumer reports don't know shit

Those are the same people that gave a mediocre review o the S2000's drivetrain
Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm kinda on the fence on this one.

so far i have ~20,400 miles on these tires and the tread wear is even, noise doesn't bother me, and grip is adequate. i live in hawaii where i get summer weather nearly all year around. i do need wet weather grip during our "winters" since from about december to end of february we get crazy rain. i would go through summer tires too quickly since the pavement is hot most of the year. so a/s tires for me.

i have several "fun" on-ramps/exits i take where i can push the car a little bit - an incline/decline s-curve on-ramp, decline left turn double apex on-ramp, an incline right turn exit, and an incline right turn on-ramp that i like to push the car on. the stock tires definitely squeal and i have to make micro-adjustments since the tires slip and bite often. chassis feels like i can go a bit faster but its always the damn tires that slip and i lose confidence. there's also two stretches of highway thats straight enough i can go pretty fast on (tiny shoulder lane so no cops ). i've always felt safe when cruising fast in a straight line.

my conclusion - the tires are definitely not for spirited canyon carving driving.

having said that, stock michellin tires are in the "grand touring" category according to tirerack. its middle ground for everything. if you are the average driver/average consumer, the tire is more than adequate in terms of tread life (value), noise, comfort, and safety.

i live in hawaii so snow/ice is a non-issue; i can't comment on performance on such surfaces.

IMO, get new tires if you are into spirited driving, stick with the OEM's if "spirited" means going to the grocery store and long jaunts on straight highways...

i'm still deciding what i want as my next set of tires - bridgestones potenza RE960, dunlop SP sport signature, goodyear eagle gt, or yokohama AVID V4S (i might be getting new tires cuz my tires are getting eaten up everytime i go out to a client's construction site. hopefully company pays for it!)
Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Consumer reports don't know shit

Those are the same people that gave a mediocre review o the S2000's drivetrain
I just read the review for the s2000 in the new issue of consumer's report. They recommended it and complemented the crisp-shifting 6MT.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Unregistered User

I broke traction at 5k rpms in 2nd gear on a wet road on stock tires thats with only 30k miles and half the rubber left..... how much less safe can they be ?

Quick Reply: Are the stock tires that bad?