A- Spec setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 02:54 PM
Instructor

A- Spec setup

Hey all!

I am looking for some input on a set-up I am thinking of doing. I would like to either put 19 X 7.5 RJ Inspyre with 225/35/19 with an A-Spec suspension or 18 X 8.5 RJ Inspyre with 235/40/18 with A-Spec suspension. I am just looking for a nice and clean ride, not too much of a "slammed" look. What do you all recommend I should do?

Is it possible to do 19s with 235/40/19 with the same suspension setup? Will there be any rubbing on any of those set-ups? I am planning on putting a sub box in the trunk and occasionally with have about 4 people in the car.

Any input would greatly be appreciated
Old 03-15-2005 | 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

You're getting 7.5" wide rims in either 18" or 19" diameters, right? I wouldn't run 8.5" wide rims.

There are forum members running 235-40-18s and 235-35-19s. Neither will rub with RonJons as long are you are getting the 7.5" +50 offset rims.

Since you are planning on putting a sub box in the trunk, I would consider some height adjustable suspension rather than the A-spec. Otherwise, the back end would look too low compared to the front. This will be exacerbated by having 4 people in the car.
Old 03-15-2005 | 03:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You're getting 7.5" wide rims in either 18" or 19" diameters, right? I wouldn't run 8.5" wide rims.

There are forum members running 235-40-18s and 235-35-19s. Neither will rub with RonJons as long are you are getting the 7.5" +50 offset rims.

Since you are planning on putting a sub box in the trunk, I would consider some height adjustable suspension rather than the A-spec. Otherwise, the back end would look too low compared to the front. This will be exacerbated by having 4 people in the car.
Thank you for your input. Yes, I am planning on getting 7.5' rims but I haven't really decided on either 18s or 19s. What do you suggest would be better? I really don't want to compromise too much of the ride.
Old 03-15-2005 | 03:27 PM
Luke 1:37

I never considered this factor with the A-Spec. I think you may have sold me on the Eibach Pro-Kit.
Old 03-15-2005 | 05:18 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by virtualbong
I never considered this factor with the A-Spec. I think you may have sold me on the Eibach Pro-Kit.
Wouldn't the same thing be capable of happening with the Pro-kit though?

Unless you had adjustable-height dampers and adjusted them to compensate for the added payload that is.
Old 03-15-2005 | 06:06 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by rmpage
Wouldn't the same thing be capable of happening with the Pro-kit though?

Unless you had adjustable-height dampers and adjusted them to compensate for the added payload that is.
Yeah, I think that be especially true with a spring like the ProKit, which lowers the car quite a bit without having a lot of rate to support it.
Old 03-15-2005 | 06:42 PM

But with the Eibach Pro Kit at least its 1.6" in the front and 1.4" in the rear...maybe I'm just trying to make excuses to get the Pro Kit instead of the A-Spec because I like the drop more...decisions, decisions.
Old 03-15-2005 | 06:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

But with the Eibach Pro Kit at least its 1.6" in the front and 1.4" in the rear...maybe I'm just trying to make excuses to get the Pro Kit instead of the A-Spec because I like the drop more...decisions, decisions.
the aspecs are even all around, so you'd think w/ extra weight in the trunk the prokit would look better than the aspecs
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Plus the pictures of cars w/ the Pro-kits generally have a front rake to them which confirms that the front is being lowered more than the rear.
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I foresee a Pro-System set up in your future. From reading your posts, I don't think you'd be happy w/ the mild A-spec drop regardless of whether you will have a subwoofer box in the trunk or not.

In a way, that's why I went w/ the Comptech 110-155 springs w/ Neuspeed Konis. I was comfortable w/ the amt of lowering the A-spec gave in the back, but from a purely cosmetic standpoint, I wanted the front to be dropped a bit more for the slightly raked forward look. The Konis give me that flexibility to adjust ride height front and rear to suit my taste.
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrOD
Thank you for your input. Yes, I am planning on getting 7.5' rims but I haven't really decided on either 18s or 19s. What do you suggest would be better? I really don't want to compromise too much of the ride.
Where are you from? How are your roads? Since you want to maintain ride quality, I'd go with 235-40-18s. Besides, Ron Jon rims tend to look pretty big b/c of their design (spokes run right up to the edge of the rim w/o a lip. This type of design tends to make the rim look bigger than a comparable sized rim w/ a lip. Therefore, Ron Jon 18s would look as big as some 19s.
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:50 PM

I foresee a Pro-System set up in your future. From reading your posts, I don't think you'd be happy w/ the mild A-spec drop regardless of whether you will have a subwoofer box in the trunk or not.

In a way, that's why I went w/ the Comptech 110-155 springs w/ Neuspeed Konis. I was comfortable w/ the amt of lowering the A-spec gave in the back, but from a purely cosmetic standpoint, I wanted the front to be dropped a bit more for the slightly raked forward look. The Konis give me that flexibility to adjust ride height front and rear to suit my taste.
How much was that setup?

And, yes, I should just get the Pro Kit setup. I just wish Tire Rack didn't get me all excited about the Eibach Pro-System Kit. I guess I'm going to cancel that order and get the Eibach Springs instead. Do you guys think I should go with Eibach Pro Kit with stock shocks until the Eibach Dampeners come out or should I just get the Koni Yellows?
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:51 PM

Where are you from? How are your roads? Since you want to maintain ride quality, I'd go with 235-40-18s. Besides, Ron Jon rims tend to look pretty big b/c of their design (spokes run right up to the edge of the rim w/o a lip. This type of design tends to make the rim look bigger than a comparable sized rim w/ a lip. Therefore, Ron Jon 18s would look as big as some 19s.
Good point.
Old 03-15-2005 | 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

How much was that setup?

And, yes, I should just get the Pro Kit setup. I just wish Tire Rack didn't get me all excited about the Eibach Pro-System Kit. I guess I'm going to cancel that order and get the Eibach Springs instead. Do you guys think I should go with Eibach Pro Kit with stock shocks until the Eibach Dampeners come out or should I just get the Koni Yellows?
I bought the Comptech 110-155s from forum member kaikai used for $140. I got the Neuspeed Konis online for $580 shipped. So, total was $720. I chose the Comptech springs b/c they only lower the car about 1". I only want to lower my car about 1.25" front and 1" rear.

I say try the Pro-kits with the stock shocks. At most, you might have to wait 2-3 mos for the Pro-dampers. If the car doesn't ride how you like during that time, you can always just buy the Konis.
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:18 PM
Instructor

I am actually up in the bay area. Roads are alright, crazy potholes here and there just like everywhere else. You have a very good point, I think I'll just go ahead and use the set up of 235/18s with A-Spec suspension. I really want to try something different since I have Comptech & Koni Yellows on my CLS, and the BMW has the Pro Kit with Bilstein. Does anyone have the A-Spec with RJ 18s? I saw some in the gallery but non with the A-Spec suspension.
Old 03-16-2005 | 12:00 AM
Drives With Hands

I bought the Comptech 110-155s from forum member kaikai used for $140. I got the Neuspeed Konis online for $580 shipped. So, total was $720. I chose the Comptech springs b/c they only lower the car about 1". I only want to lower my car about 1.25" front and 1" rear.

I say try the Pro-kits with the stock shocks. At most, you might have to wait 2-3 mos for the Pro-dampers. If the car doesn't ride how you like during that time, you can always just buy the Konis.
So the Comptechs are only slightly more aggressive than the A-spec springs, am I reading you right?

Personally it looks like I may be getting the Neuspeed sport springs and Neuspeed Konis unless something else comes up. Maybe like some TEINs with an EDFC!
Old 03-16-2005 | 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmpage
So the Comptechs are only slightly more aggressive than the A-spec springs, am I reading you right?

Personally it looks like I may be getting the Neuspeed sport springs and Neuspeed Konis unless something else comes up. Maybe like some TEINs with an EDFC!
There are 2 versions of Comptech springs for the TSX. The one I have is the older version, which is part# 110-155. These are actually springs made for the TL, but Comptech sold them for the TSX also as they fit both cars. Since they were made for the heavier TL, when used on the TSX, it only mildly lowers the car (about 1" front and rear). The 110-155's spring rates are similar to A-spec springs up front. However, the rears are actually slightly softer than the *stock* springs. This is based on the pictures on this forum where a member showed the actual spring rate tags attached to his Comptech 110-155s.

The current version of Comptech's springs are part# 110-160. These are made by Eibach for Comptech and, though no one has really confirmed this, I am pretty sure that they have identical spring rates to the Eibach Pro-kits as they give about the same amt of lowering as the Pro-kits (1.6" F, 1.4" R).

An option that is not really discussed all that much on this forum is the Mugen set up. Like the A-spec suspension, it is sold as a complete spring/shock/upper mount unit. I think the Mugen's spring rates and damping are a bit firmer than the A-spec set up. But, the Mugen suspension is $1000 vs. $600 for the A-spec. I would consider the Mugen suspension if you are looking for something a bit more agressive than A-spec. The lowering is still pretty mild - about 1.25" all around.
Old 03-16-2005 | 07:14 AM

Where did you get the Koni Yellows (that's the same thing as Neuspeed Konis correct?) for $580 shipped. I will buy it today along with the Eibach Pro Kit if you tell me.
Old 03-16-2005 | 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I bought my Neuspeed Konis through ebay. The seller is asw88. He has 100% good feedback. The seller was great. He responds to e-mails immediately and I got my shocks in less than 24 hrs after ordering.

Found the link for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 03-16-2005 | 10:09 AM

I bought my Neuspeed Konis through ebay. The seller is asw88. He has 100% good feedback. The seller was great. He responds to e-mails immediately and I got my shocks in less than 24 hrs after ordering.

Found the link for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
DAMN!!!!! That's the best deal that I've seen. It usually in the $630 range without shipping included. This guy is under $600 shipped! Sweet...now I just have to wait to see the side A-Spec pics from another member before making a decision. Now does anyone have a good place to purchase Eibach Pro Kit Springs?
Old 03-16-2005 | 10:16 AM

Actually, forget the A-Spec. I just cancelled my order with Tire Rack for the Eibach Pro-System Kit and won the ebay auction for the Neuspeed Konis!!! Now, someone please tell me the cheapest place to get the Eibach Pro Kit. Thanks!

btw. I'm so glad I finally made a decision about my suspension, LOL
Old 03-16-2005 | 10:26 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

pro kit + 19's = look ok

tein flex/ buddy club + 19's = pimp daddy. (dzuy, vwong, stokeless, maybe cmf one day?)

:troutslap
Old 03-16-2005 | 10:45 AM
Drives With Hands

stuff.
Wow, thanks man. Great explanation. For now it looks like I'm going for either Eibach Prokit or Neuspeed sport springs, with Neuspeed Konis.

dzuy - how do the TEIN Flex dampers feel in terms of ride quality? Also, what springs are you using with them? I don't know much about those parts at all, really.
Old 03-16-2005 | 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

...now I just have to wait to see the side A-Spec pics from another member before making a decision
Hey Bong, congrats on your decision! Did you still get the pics? Can you post them?
Old 03-16-2005 | 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
Hey Bong, congrats on your decision! Did you still get the pics? Can you post them?
I don't believe that he's posted new pics yet. He'll post it in this thread.
Old 03-16-2005 | 11:32 AM
Instructor

Hey guys, anyone know where I can either get the A-Spec suspension or the Comptech springs?
Old 03-16-2005 | 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

You can get A-spec suspension from Acura of Escondido. They sell it for about $600 on e-bay. Remember to get the right one for your car as they come in automatic and manual versions.

Here's the link to the auto version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

Here's the link if you have a manual TSX:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V