someone put some sense in me

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation someone put some sense in me

Ok heres the story...I'm looking to get 18 or 19 inch volks(same model both sizes)...the problem is I want the benefit of the weight loss on the wheels but Dzuy keeps bringing up that his stockers though heavier are/feel faster because the weight is closer to the center of the wheel than his lighter 19s making it easier to turn...so the problem is I have a 5AT so I want every bit of performance and want no sacrifice so I love the look of the 19 but want the performance of the 18 figuring the 18 would perform better than stock...so school me on if the performance difference between a 19lbs 19 inch and a 17lbs 18 inch rim can be quatified or is it all the placeebo effect...so simply if i choose 19 over 18 will the diffence be noticeable like dzuy says or is it all a figment of the imagination
Old 04-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on many factors such as the weight of the rim, the style of the rim which will affect how the weight on the rim is distributed, and the tire you choose because tires also vary in weight btw the different manufacturers.

If you want to stay as light as possible, but still go up in size for appearance, then you need to stick with a 215 width tire, rather than the 225 or 235 width tires that most people upgrade to.

Another thing to consider is the overall performance of the car, not just straight line acceleration. You want the lightest wheel/tire package for acceleration, but you may want a wider footprint and therefore a heavier and wider rim/tire for better handling. Also, if you upgrade to a supercharger in the future, then the weight of the rim/tire combo is no longer an issue. You would now need a wider rim/tire to maximize off the line acceleration due to traction control issues.

My feeling is this - as an owner of an automatic TSX, we have slow cars. That's a fact. Whether you stay with 17s or go to 18s or 19s, the car will still be slow. Therefore, I would choose a high quality rim keeping in mind a reasonable weight limit, but also very important daily driveability issues such as durability, overall quality of the rim, and a good quality tire which, in and of itself will provide significant increases in performance as well as rim protection when compared to some of the super cheap, no-name tires now available (Wan Li tires comes to mind).

If you really care a lot about acceleration, you need to consider drastic measures such as a supercharger or turbocharger. Then, all this stuff about saving a few lbs of rotating mass, etc. will be moot.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

we will see tomorrow.

aren't you the guy that was supposed to by my friends volks with a business check?!?!

dont fool yourself.

there is no way 19 inch wheels will yield better performance than 17's, unless there is a significant weight difference, and believe me, 4 lbs isn't shit compared to 2 inches of increased diameter.

i'll prove it tomorrow.

nuff said.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

AlterZgo makes good points. Also, you should consider if you'd rather have looks, straight line performance, or something else.

If you want just straight line speed, you can't go wrong by getting a really light 17" rim, for example. Then you'd be guaranteed more acceleration. You could even go for a light 17x8" for better handling and acceleration. The Evo uses 17x8" rims stock and no one can say they perform badly!

18" rims do look real sweat, though!