Some SOB sabotaged my tire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004 | 12:40 PM
cmf
ATCer

Some SOB sabotaged my tire!

I was detailing my car today. Got around to the passenger rear wheel well and noticed a carpenters nail head out the side wall of my tire. My dumbass pulls it out thinking cause it's a bit thin that it won't do any damage. Well to verify if there was or was not any damage, I put a water drop on the tiny hole....sure as shit it started to bubble.
There is a carpenters truck at my buddies apartment that I always park next to cause it looks like it never moves, that way I can save my doors. Guess he doesn't like that my car looks good and gave it to me. That's my theory anyways, and I'll confront the SOB the next time I see him as well!
Well, time to get a new tire I guess.
Need help on that as well..... I have a 200 treadware rating on the Dunlops. So with 4K miles on em, does anyone think it will be a big difference to replace only one tire, or should I do all four so they are evenly worn. I have seen in the past it's not a good idea to replace only one tire, but I guess that might mostly be only with pretty worn tires. What do you all think?
Old 09-21-2004 | 12:46 PM
Team Owner

IMHO you don't need all 4 new ones. Just rotate the fronts to the rear and put a pair of new tires on the fronts.
Old 09-21-2004 | 12:47 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Originally Posted by jlukja
IMHO you don't need all 4 new ones. Just rotate the fronts to the rear and put a pair of new tires on the fronts.
Old 09-21-2004 | 12:49 PM
Quattro in.....

I would do two (fronts or rear) but only if the tire is significantly worn. Depending on how you drive will dictate how much tread was worn during the 4K miles. The fronts typically wore faster on my past front wheel drive vehicles. I'd get one and compare treads to see if you need to get another one that is if you are ordring online, otherwise compare the new tire with the old at your local tire shop.
Old 09-21-2004 | 12:58 PM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by Viking
I would do two (fronts or rear) but only if the tire is significantly worn. Depending on how you drive will dictate how much tread was worn during the 4K miles. The fronts typically wore faster on my past front wheel drive vehicles. I'd get one and compare treads to see if you need to get another one that is if you are ordring online, otherwise compare the new tire with the old at your local tire shop.
Old 09-21-2004 | 01:15 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Also, why don't you just put that same nail into that fuckers tire?
Old 09-21-2004 | 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oneilc
Also, why don't you just put that same nail into that fuckers tire?
right and invite key-srcatch on the TSX

what's a carpenter nail ? like some kinda special nail ?
Old 09-21-2004 | 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

come on people... carpenter nail are everywhere! it could have just fallen off his truck and you ran over it in the parking lot. trust me... you will come off as a complete ass if you confront this guy.

you could have ran over that nail anywhere. yes the side of your tire can get a nail.
Old 09-21-2004 | 02:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DEVO
you could have ran over that nail anywhere. yes the side of your tire can get a nail.

I was wondering about that. How?
Old 09-21-2004 | 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

well. i would have to see this nail, if it's in the middle of the sidewall then i'm reaching. but if it's closer to the base then a nail can get kicked up and stick. (from the sounds of it... it was barely in the tire, he needed water to confirm a leak).
Old 09-21-2004 | 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

your tire does bend, especially around corners. it's quite easy to pinch a nail off the road and have it stick into the side wall. a nail has a head and if hit at the right angle it will pop up.... just try it yourself with your finger. the worst are roofing nails. large flat head.
Old 09-21-2004 | 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Devo's right.
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:27 PM
cmf
ATCer

Actually DEVO is wrong if you ask me.
Carpenter nails come in all shapes and sizes, and for a very very (can't stress very enough) thin nail to get into a side wall of a tire would take one hell of an impact, plus one very well placed nail. Basically making it impossible in this case. Aside from that, I pulled the nail out thinking it was closer to a brad styled nail, making it short, but this one was pretty long. Long enough that it went into the tire, and was bent to the side. Being inside the tire (key words DEVO)....hence air coming OUT, causing me to need to get a new tire!?
If you haven't seen the nail and where it was placed, don't assume someone is coming off as an ass by asking questions to an individual whose truck was parked right next to you car the night previous to receving a nail in the tire.
Anyways, aside from DEVO not helping out......for those that did, THANKS!!!
I took the advise and went to the tire shop. Turns out, I had purchased some insurance which replaced my whole tire for free! So in order to even it out as suggested, I only had to buy one tire and saved 200 bucks. They had to order the tires so I will get them replaced tomorrow.
Again, much thanks to the advise of those that gave it, saved me 200 bucks, plus an additional 400 had I gone w/ 4 new ones. Sorry though, no funds saved will be distributed to those that helped though, instead, I will give rep points! WOOHOO!
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:30 PM

well i had a nail in my tire a few months ago and and it def looked accidental since it was right at the edge where the contact and sidewall met...had to get it replaced for $130

glad you had insurance cmf
Old 09-21-2004 | 04:44 PM
04 remembrance

By the title, I assumed all four tires were punked, but it's not so bad. Plus, there is a possibility of you running over the nail as well.

iamhomin, who's tires are chipped from going over one too many pot holes.
Old 09-21-2004 | 04:44 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Originally Posted by blackjackman
right and invite key-srcatch on the TSX

what's a carpenter nail ? like some kinda special nail ?
preemtive strike then. key that bastages truck (play tic-tac-toe on his hood), piss in his gas tank, put a potatoe in his exhaust pipe, put super glue in his locks, puncture all tire sidewalls and for good measure spray paint profanity on all sides in neon orange colored paint.

oh yeah .. then stop parking next to the truck
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:42 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I see hundreds of sidewall injuries a year. I highly doubt this was "sabotage" you'd be AMAZED by the things I have pulled out of tires over the years. Nails can and do penetrate the sidewalls of tires everyday. It would be in very bad taste to accuse someone of damaging your tire unless you saw them do it or had other reason to believe it was a certain person. The paranoia of people in society these days blows my mind, its always someone elses fault- Get over it shit happens!
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:50 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i doubt anyone sabotaged your tires. if they were, most people slash tires, not stick nails in them, which i assume would be hard to do in the first place.

you probably just ran it over dude. chill.
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:57 PM
cmf
ATCer

Shit happens at 200 plus a pop??? Not feelin it still. If you could see how the nail was in there and where it was at, you would know it was not run over, even a tire expert can see that!
Either way...dead subject, tires will be fixed tomorrow!
Old 09-21-2004 | 06:00 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

sorry man. ur right either way it sucks. wonder why your tire is so expensive, when i had 18's i think it was 130 a tire for 225/40 18 nitto nt555
Old 09-21-2004 | 06:03 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by dzuy
sorry man. ur right either way it sucks. wonder why your tire is so expensive, when i had 18's i think it was 130 a tire for 225/40 18 nitto nt555

Mostly cause they had to special order em, plus the new warranty, plus lifetime rotation/ balancing, tax, all that good stuff. The actual tire was 155. Nobody in town had a set of Dunlops in that size, so they are coming overnight from AZ. Guess they gotta get you somehow, and after this happening, regardless of how it happened, I realized the insurance is well worth it. Can't beat a free replacement.
Old 09-22-2004 | 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cmf
Actually DEVO is wrong if you ask me.
Carpenter nails come in all shapes and sizes, and for a very very (can't stress very enough) thin nail to get into a side wall of a tire would take one hell of an impact, plus one very well placed nail. Basically making it impossible in this case. Aside from that, I pulled the nail out thinking it was closer to a brad styled nail, making it short, but this one was pretty long. Long enough that it went into the tire, and was bent to the side. Being inside the tire (key words DEVO)....hence air coming OUT, causing me to need to get a new tire!?
If you haven't seen the nail and where it was placed, don't assume someone is coming off as an ass by asking questions to an individual whose truck was parked right next to you car the night previous to receving a nail in the tire.
Anyways, aside from DEVO not helping out......for those that did, THANKS!!!
I took the advise and went to the tire shop. Turns out, I had purchased some insurance which replaced my whole tire for free! So in order to even it out as suggested, I only had to buy one tire and saved 200 bucks. They had to order the tires so I will get them replaced tomorrow.
Again, much thanks to the advise of those that gave it, saved me 200 bucks, plus an additional 400 had I gone w/ 4 new ones. Sorry though, no funds saved will be distributed to those that helped though, instead, I will give rep points! WOOHOO!
Dude chill,

Unless you can prove the guy next to you did it, you would come across like an ass. As you came across like an ass in this post. I was trying to help you save face, but by all means, go accuse the guy next to you of destroying your tire. See how far that gets you in life.

Anyway, post a freaking picture next time. If the nail is on the side of your tire, it CAN get there by driving over a nail... In which case YOU are to blame.
Old 09-22-2004 | 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dzuy
i doubt anyone sabotaged your tires. if they were, most people slash tires, not stick nails in them, which i assume would be hard to do in the first place.

you probably just ran it over dude. chill.
It's definitely frustrating...
Old 09-22-2004 | 03:23 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by DEVO
Dude chill,

Unless you can prove the guy next to you did it, you would come across like an ass. As you came across like an ass in this post. I was trying to help you save face, but by all means, go accuse the guy next to you of destroying your tire. See how far that gets you in life.

Anyway, post a freaking picture next time. If the nail is on the side of your tire, it CAN get there by driving over a nail... In which case YOU are to blame.

If I wanted to know what the fuck you thought I would have asked you, but I didn't!
It wasn't in the damn sidewall by driving OVER it, hence it being in the side you jackass!
Again, I asked for assistance in what should be done in regards to how many tires I should buy. Everyone but you gave that info I was looking for. In this case pics were not gonna help me buy 1, 2, or 4 tires!
Old 09-22-2004 | 03:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Everyone settle down. This name calling is stupid.

We know you changed the tire but I'd like to know what you did if anything in retaliation?
Old 09-22-2004 | 03:48 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by domn
Everyone settle down. This name calling is stupid.

We know you changed the tire but I'd like to know what you did if anything in retaliation?

I can't prove who did what, but I feel asking an individual if he saw something or whatever, considering his truck full of tools was right next to mine, is not a asinine thing to do. Nobody would admit to screwing w/ someones ride, but letting them know you might suspect them will make them think twice of trying crap like that again, in what I would consider fear of being caught. I hate people messing with my rides, and therefore damaging another vehicle is not in my book of things to do.
Old 09-22-2004 | 03:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cmf
I can't prove who did what, but I feel asking an individual if he saw something or whatever, considering his truck full of tools was right next to mine, is not a asinine thing to do. Nobody would admit to screwing w/ someones ride, but letting them know you might suspect them will make them think twice of trying crap like that again, in what I would consider fear of being caught. I hate people messing with my rides, and therefore damaging another vehicle is not in my book of things to do.

We didn't see where the nail was placed so IMO its somewhat difficult to determine if it was done on purpose. You however, have seen it, so what your going to do sounds resonable if you truly believe it was done purposely.
Old 09-22-2004 | 03:53 PM
cmf
ATCer

Domn...you got PM