Rotate tires at home.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 04:45 AM
Instructor

Rotate tires at home.

I'm thinking about rotating my tires myself, but I only ahve one jack and two stands. Should I ditch the stands and grab some bricks to take off all four wheels at teh same time? or should I use the stands? HOw do you rotate your tires yourself?
Old 09-08-2007 | 05:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by popdakebin
I'm thinking about rotating my tires myself, but I only ahve one jack and two stands. Should I ditch the stands and grab some bricks to take off all four wheels at teh same time? or should I use the stands? HOw do you rotate your tires yourself?
I think you crisscross the tires on the TSX if you check the manual. Jack up the right rear and put the jack underneath, then jack up the passenger front, and change. Do the same for the other wheels. I loosen my wheel nuts a bit before jacking.
Old 09-08-2007 | 07:50 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

The simplest way, if you intend to do it yourself, is to have the car on a level surface and jack all four wheels off the ground using the front and back jacking points and four jack stands. Never use bricks or cinder blocks to support a car -- they're not strong enough.

Four stands and a jack will also come in handy if you want to change your own manual tranny oil (if you have a 6mt).
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:51 AM
Instructor

cool thanks. I jacked up my car today but I found it hard to get the jack stand to get under the jacking point because the base of the jack stand was too wide and it got in the way of jack I had.

Kinda like this:
__ <~ jacking point
| |
| / \ <~jack stand

^
| Jack
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:55 AM
Instructor

Yea, it's ugly, but simply put, jack gets in teh way of the stand, and I can't put the stand under the jacking point
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:58 AM

well the way I rotate my tires (just front to back), I break the lugs loose, then jack the front by the sub-frame from the front of the car, place the jack stand under the jacking point on the desired side.

Then I jack the rear up, on the frame from the side of the car and place the jack stand on the rear jacking point.

Swap tires and the rest should be self explanitory.

Note: It is a lil more diff. for me, since my car is lowred, I assume urs is stock height.

Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2007 | 09:05 AM
talk about mudflaps....

Originally Posted by popdakebin
cool thanks. I jacked up my car today but I found it hard to get the jack stand to get under the jacking point because the base of the jack stand was too wide and it got in the way of jack I had.

Kinda like this:
__ <~ jacking point
| |
| / \ <~jack stand

^
| Jack
It's actually easier if you place your jack under the front, central jacking point, raise the entire front of the car and then place your stands under the jacking points behind the front wheels. You can do something similar for the rear.
Old 09-10-2007 | 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Get the proper jack and stands and use the correct support points. Stay away from using bricks and cinder blocks to support the car as they are not safe. You can potentially pay for it with your life if you take shortcuts in safety, even when performing simple tasks.
Old 09-11-2007 | 12:15 AM
Instructor

Yea, thanks for the advise. My car is lowered too by the way. I didn't know about the central jacking point. I'm gonna go look for it tommorrow, it's too dark now.
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dereksmalls
It's actually easier if you place your jack under the front, central jacking point, raise the entire front of the car
Where is the central jacking point to raise the entire front??

I've done the front each side at a time wa stand, then used the central jack point in the back (the bracket under the spare tire area - told to me by Acura service manager) to rotate my wheels. I know that I should put stands under the back but I just left the jack hold up the rear wheels while I did the rotation.
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:55 AM
talk about mudflaps....

Originally Posted by MattJP
Where is the central jacking point to raise the entire front??

I've done the front each side at a time wa stand, then used the central jack point in the back (the bracket under the spare tire area - told to me by Acura service manager) to rotate my wheels. I know that I should put stands under the back but I just left the jack hold up the rear wheels while I did the rotation.
It's behind the front chin spoiler. There's a section of the front subframe that is not covered by the plastic underbody covers. If you do a search, there are pictures of the central jacking points for the front and rear.