Rota Subzeros (bad photoshop) opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rota Subzeros (bad photoshop) opinions?

I have been considering Rota Subzeros 18x7.5 for my TSX. I have only seen one other person with them on and I liked how they looked. The ones I saw were only 17's though, I think the 18's would look even better.

My first choice would be the royal gunmetallic with the polished lip:

But I thought the polished lip may make the rim look small, however I think these would look good on my black TSX. Here is a quick photo shop I did onto my car using the silver Subzeros. What do you think?

Old 05-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my opinion....Rota on TSX = nono
Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crappy rims bro...Save a few pennies and you can do better...
Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
my opinion....Rota on TSX = nono
I know where you are coming from but I don't think Rota's are that bad. They make decent rims for an affordable price. I had them on my WRX wag and never had any problems... then again, Rotas are one of the most popular rims for the subaru crowd. But I never really hear of quality problems. Ideally I love the Work wheels and the Advan or G Games series are awesome, but big bucks.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joerockt
Crappy rims bro...Save a few pennies and you can do better...

Just curious why everyone says they are crappy? Do you have any direct experience with Rotas to back up the claims or is it just because they are inexpensive? I know there is a stigma with low cost equating to low quality.

But again, I ran rota SDR's with no problem for a long time, and I have lots of friends in the subaru circles that run them as well and love them.

I am not dead set on any rims yet, and I value everyones opinions. I am just curious where the negative thoughts on Rota's originate.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Rotas are just not a well made wheel. If you're going to plunk down a bunch of money for wheels, don't just get something that is light and looks good, but also will last a long time.

What kind of budget are you working with? If you give us an idea of how much money you have to spend, we might be able to better help you examine which wheels are the best fit for your needs.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Rotas are just not a well made wheel. If you're going to plunk down a bunch of money for wheels, don't just get something that is light and looks good, but also will last a long time.

What kind of budget are you working with? If you give us an idea of how much money you have to spend, we might be able to better help you examine which wheels are the best fit for your needs.
I am not really ready to buy rims just yet, I have just been doing some research to narrow it down for when the time comes. Lowering the car was this years project as far as my wife sees it

I still want to buy the body kit as well and that will run me about 800, so for rims and tires, I did not want to go over 1500 tops. But that will take me a year to save up. For now, I actually do really like the stock rims. I get alot of compliments on them (from people that don't know much about the TSX) some think they are aftermarket.

I love the rims Alterzgo has, Work VS-SS I believe. How much do they run?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
With $1500 to play with, you could get a set of Rays G-Game Sidewinders and good tires.

They are $257 each at Discount Tire Direct. Good solid wheel and you know that since it is made by Rays, it'll be a quality wheel.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jackacc
Just curious why everyone says they are crappy? Do you have any direct experience with Rotas to back up the claims or is it just because they are inexpensive? I know there is a stigma with low cost equating to low quality.

But again, I ran rota SDR's with no problem for a long time, and I have lots of friends in the subaru circles that run them as well and love them.

I am not dead set on any rims yet, and I value everyones opinions. I am just curious where the negative thoughts on Rota's originate.

Thanks!
I don't think Rota is bad quality, I haven't heard problems w/ them and quite a few people use them... but they are knockoffs, and no matter how accepted they are by Subaru owners (a shame) they are and will always be knockoffs. Rota's have their place for lightweight racing wheels, but in general they belong on econo-boxes, not your TSX
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Drifting

^

If you go to some online shops, they actually list the different rotas which they are copied from. Such as the Grid = Te37, along with Mugen replicas and Gab. I mean, you have a TSX, might as well get something nice. I rather save up (which is what I am doing) then just get some normal set of rims. I see Motegi on nice cars too...but I just think they belong on a riced out civic.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,776 Likes on 2,548 Posts
xizor and benz got it exactly. knockoffs are pothetic. I hate companies that produce knockoff wheels. Save up and buy the real things.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Instructor

I hear what you guys are saying, and more than likely I'll wind up buying a set of Work's, Advan's, or PIAA's once I have enough loot. But I actually do like the way some of the rota's look on the TSX.

I don't get hung up on what brand name a rim is as long as I think it looks good and it works, doesn't crack etc... I use knock off golf clubs, why not rims too? lol
Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Pro

if you're gonna get work or advans, why would you get rotas?????instead of spending the money on rotas you should just wait till you have the money for the work or advans and get those.......you could even find some zigens for pretty cheap.....maybe right around 1500 for 18 inch rims with tires if you look hard enough.....i got my zigens with tires for around 1500.....just a thought
Old 05-31-2006, 04:33 AM
Drifting

Dude, I am in the same boat as you man.......as in saving up for Works or Advans (Volks are too played out ) ...just save up man. I've once thought about getting replica rims, or even something cheap, so at least my car would look modded. BUt in the end, you still won't be satisfied. YOu want Works or Advans, set that as a goal and go for it. I will wait as long as I have to before I have the dough to get a set of Works or Advans or Volks (maybe). Honestly, TSX is a nice car and it deserves something nice on it. *Although I think TSX is not good enough...want...better...faster...coupe*
Old 05-31-2006, 05:06 AM
Drifting

Just to prove my point of Rotas being replicas, here's a few that I came up with:
Rota Track R= CPR replica
Rota Auto X= SSR Type X Replicas
Rota Circuit 8= MUGEN MF-8 Replicas
Rota Circuit 10= MUGEN MF-10 Replicas
Rota Grid= Volk TE-37 Replica
Rota Group N= MUGEN RNR Replica
Rota GT3= GAB Racing Replica
Rota Slipstream= Spoon SW Replica
Rota Torque= Works Emotion CR

If you still want the Rotas, then....i got nothing to say but go for it dude, it's your car.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Oh yeah, I know they are replicas, there was a post on NASIOC that showed all the rota comparisons to the real thing, but thank you for the post. Yeah you are right, I more than likely would always want the rims I really want even if I pacified the need with rotas for now. I don't have that much $ to play with so I think I'll save for the body kit 1st, then if I have a good year comission wise in 07, I'll be able to persuade my wife to let me part with $1500 or so ... easier said than done... And my then there may be new rims out that I like better than the Work's.

Thanks for all the replies,
J
Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jackacc
Obviously, you haven't done enough researches on Rota wheels. In both NASIOC and Honda-Tech, there have been reports saying Rota wheels had cracked. I've seen pictures of cracked Subzero (Racing Hart CP-035 copy), Circuit 8 (Mugen MF8 copy), and Attack (Gram Light 57F copy). Although Rota's customer service is pretty good, they replaced most of those cracked wheels with no charge. But with all those defects, wouldn't you question the quality of Rota's manufacturing? Don't they have a QC dept. to quality check the products before they go out the door? Would you want the hassle of buying the wheels, only 6 months later you have to send them back because of a defect? What happens if the wheels fail while you're driving on the freeway?

I'm not saying that the more expensive wheels won't have failures. I've also seen pictures of failed Volk, SSR, and Racing Hart. But these failures were mostly due to drivers' errors like running over a big pot hole or bump. I have a set of Racing Hart CP-035 on my Prelude since 2001. They've gone through lots of abuse from street, auto-x, and tracks. They're still straight and no cracks.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are the only rims I've heard that have actually cracked under "normal" conditions.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Instructor

I do remember when a bunch of people had the subzeros crack under normal (not track) road conditions a while ago. But as I recall, I think they isolated it to a certain group of rims around the same time and as you said, rota replaced them all immediately. I had not heard of many problems after that. This is going back to 04 though and I have not really kept up on NASIOC much since then.

I was browsing the wheel gallery during lunch and I must say, the 2 rims I am most fond of now are the Ray's 77w and the Moda r6. I like the Advan kreuzers from some angles but from others I was not as impressed. My alltime favorite being the Advan T6 but that is waaay out of my range.

I have not seen alot of racing harts in TSX's either and I have always loved their rims... c2 and c4's anyway.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Got Milk???

sorry to change the subject a bit, but what do all of you think if Buddy Club wheels in terms of reputation, image, quality, etc???

KC
Old 05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by kaikai114
sorry to change the subject a bit, but what do all of you think if Buddy Club wheels in terms of reputation, image, quality, etc???

KC
JDM people love the, personally I'm not that impressed, they only make like 2 wheels
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kaikai114

KC
Buddy Club rims are ok. I personally am not to fond nor do I hate them. I don't like them the fact that they are very common among many many rides. Since Buddy Club had a huge sale on rims a while ago, many people bought them. They look nice, it's a cheap (or decently priced) set of JDM rims.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:32 AM
08 MDX with Sports

That royal gunmetal really doesn't have much shine (as pictured), I used to have Rota Grid in royal gunmetal.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
The subzeros cracking were from Mild Auto-Xing. Not a problem. Not really any complaints I can think of for Rota's. I like them, seem cheap and reliable to me.

I'm drooling over P45F's with the Red Lip right now =) I wonder how it would look on my car =)
Old 06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by xizor
JDM people love the, personally I'm not that impressed, they only make like 2 wheels

that's one thing that i complain about too, didnt get much choice when purchasing the rims at BC. Quality-wise I think their cast rims are pretty sturdy and very light weight. I remember running over this 2 inch pothole in downtown LA the other day going about 40-50mph, nearly gave me a heart attack, but surprisingly no dents at all. 1 point up for BC

KC
Old 06-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
Buddy Club rims are ok. I personally am not to fond nor do I hate them. I don't like them the fact that they are very common among many many rides. Since Buddy Club had a huge sale on rims a while ago, many people bought them. They look nice, it's a cheap (or decently priced) set of JDM rims.

Over here in Socal, I dont see a lot of them floating around, actually I havent seen anybody with my BC SF gunmetal rims... but lets just hope nobody else has them

KC