Rear Sway bar, should I or shouldnt I?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:01 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
Hi there,
I wish you had caught me before you made your post. Him and i already installed it on his TL.
Were you planning on putting a TL one onto your TSX? I dont think that fitment will fit exactly right if you do it that way. The TL bar seems a little longer just from memory. Maybe not by much, but still longer since the car is wider. (it sounds more logical).
I thought you said you both had upgraded/aftermarket RSBs. If that's the case, the you should both have your stock RSBs laying around; that's what I wanted you to compare.

I'm not sure what RSB I'm going to go with, or if I'll upgrade it at all -- it depends on how the car handles after the A-Spec suspension is installed (hopefully this weekend).
Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I looked at the RSB on my brother-in-law's 2002 RSX Type-S and was surprised to see his car has a 19mm bar on it (and later discovered the regular RSXes have the same one). All that makes me wonder why Acura went with such a tiny RSB on the TSX???
Old 05-30-2006, 02:34 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

All this got be curious about sway bar size on the european Accord, and this is what I found for the 2.4 Executive model (from link ):
Stabilizer bar type (front) - 27.2x5.3
Stabilizer bar type (rear) - 22.2x3.2

Anyone understand this notation?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STL
All this got be curious about sway bar size on the european Accord, and this is what I found for the 2.4 Executive model (from link ):
Stabilizer bar type (front) - 27.2x5.3
Stabilizer bar type (rear) - 22.2x3.2

Anyone understand this notation?
The front # represents the diameter. 22mm for rear and 27mm for front respectively.

I think H&R brand or some other has a beefy 26mm Rear Sway Bar for sell, the only thing I'm concern is the rear will get so tight can ends up "oversteering" even if I'm not intend to do so. Anyways, I'm happy w/ the Comptech RSB. It's like riding on rail.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Okay, I figured it out myself -- both bars a hollow. So the european 2.4 Executive Accord has a front sway bar with a diameter of 27.2mm with a wall thickness of 5.3mm, and it's rear swaybar is 22.2mm in diameter with a 3.2mm wall thickness.

Our TSX's front sway bar has a diameter of 25.4mm and a wall thickness of 4.5mm and the rear swaybar diameter is 15mm and solid.

Using data from this link :
a) the european hollow RSB is roughly equivalent to a 20.6mm solid bar
b) the european hollow FSB is roughly equivalent to a 26.2mm solid bar
c) the US hollow FSB is roughly equivalent to a 24.2mm solid bar

So using all the solid "equivalents" the european Accord's rear bar is about 79% as thick as the front bar, whereas the TSX's rear bar is only about 62% as thick as its front bar. Assuming the bars are made of the same type of material, you can substitute the word "strong" for "thick" in the previous sentence.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So much analysis. Just get one.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:54 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Can you tell I have an engineering degree?

I'm going to see how the car feels after the A-Spec kit before I decide.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by STL
Can you tell I have an engineering degree?

I'm going to see how the car feels after the A-Spec kit before I decide.
When is that going on?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Should be this coming Saturday morning.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by STL
Should be this coming Saturday morning.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

It's finally on, and I must say I like it. I was surprised to see no visible difference when I compared the A-Spec (spring/strut) assembly with the stock one. The both looked to be the same length and the A-Spec springs didn't measure to be any thicker -- I guess I thought the A-Spec one would have been slightly shorter with beefier springs. Another puzzling thing was the A-Spec directions said the L and R rear assemblies would be different, but both my rear ones had the exact same part numbers.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

I had mine installed so I couldn't compare them side-by-side. Didn't think to look at the part number either, although I did notice they were marked "L" and "R".

So, what are your driving impressions? And, will you still upgrade the RSB?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:55 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
I had mine installed so I couldn't compare them side-by-side. Didn't think to look at the part number either, although I did notice they were marked "L" and "R".
Were those markings on the rear assemblies? If so, was it stickers or what? I couldn't find anything on my rears that made them distinct.

So, what are your driving impressions? And, will you still upgrade the RSB?
I haven't had a chance to drive it much, but even with the small amount of driving I've done I can feel a positive difference (without any downside). I need a little more seat time on some twisity road to determine if I'll bother with a RSB upgrade.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by STL
Were those markings on the rear assemblies? If so, was it stickers or what? I couldn't find anything on my rears that made them distinct.
I believe it was the rear assemblies. It was a little round sticker with either an L or R. I only noticed it when I removed the assemblies from the shipping containers to inspect them. The front assemblies looked identical and had no identifying stickers.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

That sounds like bad news for me...
Old 06-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Have camera, will travel

FYI, ordered the Progress RSB earlier this week from ptuning, should be receiving it in the next few days. I'll post impressions once I get it installed. It'll be interesting to see the difference it makes versus the A-Spec suspension. I've had that for about 6 months, so it should be a nice incremental upgrade. After that, it'll be tires. Can't seem to wear the damn stockers out
Old 06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I believe it was the rear assemblies. It was a little round sticker with either an L or R. I only noticed it when I removed the assemblies from the shipping containers to inspect them. The front assemblies looked identical and had no identifying stickers.
the OEM fronts are different, the rears are the same. are you sure it was the a-spec rears you looked at? logically the rear a-specs would be the same and the fronts would have L and R
Old 06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xizor
the OEM fronts are different, the rears are the same. are you sure it was the a-spec rears you looked at? logically the rear a-specs would be the same and the fronts would have L and R
I stand corrected. It was the A-Spec and it was the front pair that was marked (L/R). The rear pair were identical.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I started a new thread to discuss the A-Spec suspension L/R issue. So as not to threadjack, we should move that discussion there.

waTSX,
I'll be very curious to hear your impressions.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:34 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by STL
I started a new thread to discuss the A-Spec suspension L/R issue. So as not to threadjack, we should move that discussion there.

waTSX,
I'll be very curious to hear your impressions.
Why are you so hesitate to get the RSB??? It's the cheapest mod yet give you the best results out of all. If I'm spending $$$ on a suspension I would at least get some Teins or Tanabe. The A-Spec will give you a stiffer ride thru the corners, but not as the same as RSB. If you ever see e.g "mouse chasing mouse in the same line no matter if it's straight or curve", that's how the rear of the car flow w/ the front. I like it so much.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX

FYI, ordered the Progress RSB earlier this week from ptuning, should be receiving it in the next few days. I'll post impressions once I get it installed. It'll be interesting to see the difference it makes versus the A-Spec suspension. I've had that for about 6 months, so it should be a nice incremental upgrade. After that, it'll be tires. Can't seem to wear the damn stockers out
Was about to link you to the other thread, but I see you already posted in it.

I also ordered the Progress from ptuning last Friday and received it this Tuesday.
Just put in on now. Took it for a quick spin and there's less body roll (I'm on stock suspension).
Old 06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Warning, 2 total n00b questions here, :

1) If I were to use the H&R bar, the thicker and possibly stiffer bar, will oversteer be that much worse/better, i.e. uncontrollable?

2) Would VSA catch the oversteer anyways, or would the oversteer be so much that its dangerous taking fast turns even w VSA on?

thanks guys, just want to see if the RSB is idiot-proof/CarbonGray Earl proof.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:46 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuson
Why are you so hesitate to get the RSB??? It's the cheapest mod yet give you the best results out of all. If I'm spending $$$ on a suspension I would at least get some Teins or Tanabe. The A-Spec will give you a stiffer ride thru the corners, but not as the same as RSB.
It's not that I'm hesitate per se, but rather I'm just not in a hurry. I added an OEM Integra RSB to my old Civic (that didn't even have one stock) and really liked the improvement so I know what it can do. I also know you can stiffen up the rear too much too. If I was still twenty-something and this TSX was my only ride, then I'd probably be going more agressive with it -- but I've got my S2000 to drive when I really want to tear it up. My TSX is a daily driver and a kid hauler.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^I can say that I expect the RSB will be a mod along the lines of the Hondata and A-Spec suspension; noticeable but on the subtle side. Nothing that would cause me to regret the purchase. This opinion is based, as usual, on the excellent info I've read here on AZ. The biggest leap for me was the suspension. I didn't want to spoil the excellent ride characteristics of the stock set up, but I was ready for some improvement. What I read here proved out perfectly in real world driving. So now, I really don't worry about mods. If I want it, I get it.

The RSB is kind of a no-brainer. If I end up not liking it, I can always go back to stock, with little lost in the way of money. I expect to love it, though Right now I've got the mod bug pretty bad. I've got joerockt's DIY thread bookmarked
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by psteng19
Was about to link you to the other thread, but I see you already posted in it.

I also ordered the Progress from ptuning last Friday and received it this Tuesday.
Just put in on now. Took it for a quick spin and there's less body roll (I'm on stock suspension).
Are you going to upgrade your suspension as well?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX
Are you going to upgrade your suspension as well?
Planning to drop it eventually, not anytime soon. Debating on coilovers or just A-spec.
I too want to keep the ride compliant over poor pavement.

On the RSB... after reading all the positive reviews, I was expecting a drastic change in handling (inducing oversteer, flatter cornering, less roll).

To be honest, it wasn't as noticeable as I had expected. I've noticed it being a little tighter in turns, but other than that, it feels very close to stock.
If I didn't install it myself, I would not have believed it was there.
Perhaps there was too much hype, or maybe I need more seat time behind the wheel on dry pavement; it was wet out on the roads today.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Have camera, will travel

Planning to drop it eventually, not anytime soon. Debating on coilovers or just A-spec.

On the RSB... after reading all the positive reviews, I was expecting a drastic change in handling (inducing oversteer, flatter cornering, less roll).

To be honest, it wasn't as noticeable as I had expected. I've noticed it being a little tighter in turns, but other than that, it feels very close to stock.
Perhaps there was too much hype, or maybe I need more seat time behind the wheel on dry pavement; it was wet out on the roads today.
That is kind of what I was alluding to with the subtle mod thing. I don't expect anything dramatic, but just a nice improvement. Usually dramatic improvements in handling come with some unpleasant trade-offs. The TSX is close to as good as I need it to be, I just like tinkering with things.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STL
Okay, I figured it out myself -- both bars a hollow. So the european 2.4 Executive Accord has a front sway bar with a diameter of 27.2mm with a wall thickness of 5.3mm, and it's rear swaybar is 22.2mm in diameter with a 3.2mm wall thickness.

Our TSX's front sway bar has a diameter of 25.4mm and a wall thickness of 4.5mm and the rear swaybar diameter is 15mm and solid.

Using data from this link :
a) the european hollow RSB is roughly equivalent to a 20.6mm solid bar
b) the european hollow FSB is roughly equivalent to a 26.2mm solid bar
c) the US hollow FSB is roughly equivalent to a 24.2mm solid bar

So using all the solid "equivalents" the european Accord's rear bar is about 79% as thick as the front bar, whereas the TSX's rear bar is only about 62% as thick as its front bar. Assuming the bars are made of the same type of material, you can substitute the word "strong" for "thick" in the previous sentence.
I have to set the record straight, those european sway bar specs quoted above are from the Accord wagon and not the sedan (as I was looking at the wrong page of the electronic brochure). Their sedan actually has a 26.5mmx4.5mm front bar and a 14mm solid RSB.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
STi'd

Wow, i noticed a huge difference after adding the RSB. Perhaps it was a finishing touch on the A-Spec suspension I already had installed?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by gavinn58
Wow, i noticed a huge difference after adding the RSB. Perhaps it was a finishing touch on the A-Spec suspension I already had installed?
Na, I had my RSB on before my Tein basics and noticed a huge difference.