rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear sway bar

my tsx has stock suspension.....and i want to add a rear sway bar..
anyone running a rear sway bar on stock suspension? which one? how thick?

reason why i want to get one is because i put one on my integra and it made a world of difference. no body roll is quite........awesome!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:37 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It'll make a noticeable difference as well on your CL9.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by ck123
my tsx has stock suspension.....and i want to add a rear sway bar..
anyone running a rear sway bar on stock suspension? which one? how thick?

reason why i want to get one is because i put one on my integra and it made a world of difference. no body roll is quite........awesome!
Most popular one is Progress Rear Sway Bar. It's at 22mm. Our stock rsb is 15mm so it's a huge difference. I didn't run it on stock suspension but I it's definite that body roll will be greatly reduced after a rsb upgrade.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The Comptech RSB was my first real upgrade and it made a world of difference on the stock suspension. Next upgrade was Tein H-Tech springs and they made a minimal difference in comparison to the RSB.

You will NOT be disappointed with the rear sway bar. Get the Progress for a few reasons over the Comptech, though: Adjustable, and it works w/ aftermarket exhausts (Comptech will not play nicely with any aftermarket exhaust other than Comptech... surprise surprise!).
Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
+1 to all of the above. I thought stock RSB was at 17mm though? Oh well, either way I've heard it's a world of difference, esp at stock height/suspension setup.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
A Progress sway bar was my first mod and it made a world of difference compared to the stock sway bar. I was running the RSB with stock suspension and loved it.

I ended up going Tein HTechs + Tokico Blues and my tsx is a beauty to drive.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by sortudo7
+1 to all of the above. I thought stock RSB was at 17mm though? Oh well, either way I've heard it's a world of difference, esp at stock height/suspension setup.
17mm is on the tl

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/comptech-sway-bars-cl-tl-accord-v6-tsx-305654/
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm in the process of putting a Comptech RSB on mine, running on the ASpec suspension. Will let you know the results when I'm done.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put my Comptech RSB on yesterday feels 100 times better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I LUV JDM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have mines in a box for about two months...lol.. waiting for better weather
Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
The Comptech RSB was my first real upgrade and it made a world of difference on the stock suspension. Next upgrade was Tein H-Tech springs and they made a minimal difference in comparison to the RSB.

You will NOT be disappointed with the rear sway bar. Get the Progress for a few reasons over the Comptech, though: Adjustable, and it works w/ aftermarket exhausts (Comptech will not play nicely with any aftermarket exhaust other than Comptech... surprise surprise!).
+1 on curls' description. RSB feels better. Upgraded suspension didn't make much of a difference.

Aspec suspension + Comptech for over 50k miles.

The RSB was on first, with the stock suspension. It was great with the stock suspension. I might argue that it actually felt a little better because ride quality was better and it seemed like you can get the back to come out easier since the center of gravity was a little higher. With aspec, the limits are higher, and the ride quality is worse, IMO.

I'd go with progress. However, if you're like me and decided you don't want to get exhaust, comptech will do fine.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Put my Comptech RSB on yesterday feels 100 times better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd stay away from the Comptech bar (actually I did and went with the Progress). There are reports on this site (not recently though) of broken rear sway bar mounts with the Comptech bar (and only the Comptech bar).
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks for all the replies. i wouldn't need an alignment after adding a rear sway bar right?
anyone got pictures of progress?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Modding newbie

No you definitely don't need an alignment after replacing your RSB. Unless of course you needed one before you replaced it too.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks

also, are there any parts i need to upgrade in order use the progress rsb? i read the oem endlinks may not be that strong? if thats true, what options do i have?

are they shipping the progress rear sway bar in black or silver? some have black some have silver...so im curious(i prefer black)
Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Old Guy

thanks

also, are there any parts i need to upgrade in order use the progress rsb? i read the oem endlinks may not be that strong? if thats true, what options do i have?

are they shipping the progress rear sway bar in black or silver? some have black some have silver...so im curious(i prefer black)
I replaced the end links when I installed the new sway bar. The aftermarket replacements are much beefier and have grease fittings installed top and bottom. They're pretty reasonable ($) and I'd strongly recommend you make the change if you decide to upgrade to a new rear bar. They're pretty easy to find (even Amazon sells them); I think I found Rockauto.com to be cheapest (this was a couple of years ago). The Progress bar is shipped in silver I believe.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Having read several threads on the RSB topic. I'm going to do this as well. I will first check our BM or will order from http://www.excelerateperformance.com/
Old 02-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I replaced the end links when I installed the new sway bar. The aftermarket replacements are much beefier and have grease fittings installed top and bottom. They're pretty reasonable ($) and I'd strongly recommend you make the change if you decide to upgrade to a new rear bar. They're pretty easy to find (even Amazon sells them); I think I found Rockauto.com to be cheapest (this was a couple of years ago). The Progress bar is shipped in silver I believe.
what is the brand?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I LUV JDM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the endlinks brand is called MOOG... i also have a rsb but have not installed yet still in the box waiting for better weather... but as far as the MOOG endlinks i heard they mad greazy and theres a vendor that sells them for 150 dollars and look more better n stronger as far as manufactored quality...check out www.heeltoeauto.com
Old 02-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

a bit pricey ~169...
stock end links wont give me issues right? are there any cheaper ones?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I'd stay away from the Comptech bar (actually I did and went with the Progress). There are reports on this site (not recently though) of broken rear sway bar mounts with the Comptech bar (and only the Comptech bar).
I think is has more to do with people putting on the poly bushings on the comptech bar then the bar its self.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Old Guy

a bit pricey ~169...
stock end links wont give me issues right? are there any cheaper ones?a
Amazon sells the Moog rear sway bar end links (part number K90342 for the right one and K90343 for the left one) for $20.42 each and shipped for free. They're a nice item and well worth it even at twice the price.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 AM

To clarify, you don't NEED new endlinks, but once you do (they wear out on all cars), get the Moog ones as they tend to be built a bit better than the OEM ones for our cars.

New endlinks to replace non-broken old ones will yeild no difference in handling. You will notice a broken rear endlink by the "CLUNK" you get when that side rear tire goes over a speedbump (ie: when there's a twisting motion imparted on the rear sway bar). This usually signifies that the ball joint in the endlink has become loose and its time to replace it. However, driving without an endlink IS ok for a while, as long as you know your car will have a much greater propensity to understeer. I drove w/o a rear sway bar entirely for about 3-4 days while waiting for endlinks to come in from another city. Aside from the noodle-like handling, the car was fine.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
iVTEC no koe

For those installing an aftermarket RSB on stock suspension, there are threads of people reporting that the actual mounting point of the RSB has cracked/torn due to chassis flex. It should be less of an issue with firmer aftermarket suspension.

+1 on the above regarding endlinks. You do not NEED them at all, I'm on original endlinks with over 100,000km on aftermarket suspension on RSB. I'll be getting the Moog if I do need to replace them.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HoRRo
For those installing an aftermarket RSB on stock suspension, there are threads of people reporting that the actual mounting point of the RSB has cracked/torn due to chassis flex. It should be less of an issue with firmer aftermarket suspension.

+1 on the above regarding endlinks. You do not NEED them at all, I'm on original endlinks with over 100,000km on aftermarket suspension on RSB. I'll be getting the Moog if I do need to replace them.
that scares me enough not to want it. is there reinforcement to prevent this tear out?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
iVTEC no koe

that scares me enough not to want it. is there reinforcement to prevent this tear out?
If you look at the pictures posted in the threads (if they are still online), you could reinforce the mounting areas, but your best prevention is to install firmer suspension so that that the burden on the RSB isn't as much. It would be nice to see an RSB with a mounting bracket (I believe Marcus@Heeltoe was working with FLP to make one, not sure what the progress is), but so far, no solution.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM
iVTEC no koe

Found the thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-tires-wheels-suspension-130/aaargh-chassis-bracket-rsb-busted-off-676363/#post9820738
Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HoRRo
is that piece that broke replaceable? or is it part of the chassis?

so from what i gather, it only occurs with comptech rsb and not progress?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Old Guy

is that piece that broke replaceable? or is it part of the chassis?

so from what i gather, it only occurs with comptech rsb and not progress?
The bracket that's in question is not a serviceable item as it's welded in. The threads that I've read (including the one inserted into a post above which is highly informative and has some great pictures of the broken bracket) all seem to indicate that the troublesome combination is the Comptech sway bar with poly bushings and the stock suspension. I haven't seen any reports of any problems with the Progress rear bar, and since I don't think there is a bushing option with the Progress bar (there may be, I just don't know), I'm inclined to believe the optional poly bushings are the actual culprit. And don't confuse the mounting brackets with the end links. The mounting brackets are the two brackets, one on each side, that the horseshoe shaped bracket bolts to that go over the rubber bushing and actually bolt the sway bar to the car. The end links do just that; they bolt to the end of the bar and to a bracket above each rear hub (more or less). They're a ball and socket arrangement that allow the sway bar to move during suspension travel. They're replaceable, though they seem pretty durable (but there are better replacements available. Separate issue, also discussed above). I replaced them when I installed my Progress bar only because they look like a substantial upgrade and were fairly cheap (and since I was under there anyway.....).
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Instructor

so when i put my CT rsb on in a couple weeks, i should just replace the crappy stock end links with the moog ones? or should i just get new OEM ones? its all compatable?

the one thing im just confused about is end links vs bushings..so it goes mounting bracket--> bushing--> endlink--> rsb? i wish there was a picture so i could understand this better
Old 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by deadlyklappy12887
so when i put my CT rsb on in a couple weeks, i should just replace the crappy stock end links with the moog ones? or should i just get new OEM ones? its all compatable?

the one thing im just confused about is end links vs bushings..so it goes mounting bracket--> bushing--> endlink--> rsb? i wish there was a picture so i could understand this better
My opinion is go with the Moog end links. They're bolt on and are an exact replacement (if you feel the need to replace them). They also install much easier since you can use two wrenches (you'll need a metric allen wrench to hold the stud of the end link along with a wrench to remove the OE sway bar and the other end too if you replace it). As far as the various parts and their place in the scheme of things (and their function).... I'd suggest a little research on line and you'll get a look at everything, where the parts go and what they do.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

The RSB is held to the subframe (the car) by the brackets and bushings. The ends of the RSB is held to the suspension via the endlinks.

Since the function of the bar is to tie the left and right rear suspensions together to control body roll, the connection to the subframe itself is necessary. Its the twisting of the bar itself, caused by unequal forces applied to the bar via the endlinks, via the suspension, that makes a thicker bar "better" (more rigid = less body roll). The bushings/brackets just hold the bar in a controlled manner without affecting its ability to twist, such that it binds the bar to the car, and stops the bar from clunking against the bottom of the car.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM

EL \_____B__B_____/ EL

B = Bushing/bracket. Rigid connection to frame of car.
EL = Endlink. Connection to suspension of car. Applies torque forces to bar.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Instructor

thank you for the dumbed down version curls. that was exactly what i was looking for haha
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by deadlyklappy12887
thank you for the dumbed down version curls. that was exactly what i was looking for haha
No problem. If there's one thing I know, it's dumb.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

so there arent any reported issues with progress rsb on stock suspension?
simba said comptech and polyurethane bushings will cause problems, however progress also comes with polyurethane bushings, so would that be an issue?

im so close to buying it!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Old Guy

so there arent any reported issues with progress rsb on stock suspension?
simba said comptech and polyurethane bushings will cause problems, however progress also comes with polyurethane bushings, so would that be an issue?

im so close to buying it!
As they say, never say never, but I haven't read in these forums of any problems with the Progress rear sway bar. I've been happy with mine, and have like over two years and 50K miles on the mod with zero complaints (some report noise, or rattling, but mine is, and has been, silent). But...... to be honest, I think the upgrade is way overrated. I really doubt it makes much difference like 95% of the time, though my opinion may be shaded by the fact that I'm not on a stock suspension. And...... I will admit that I tend to be somewhat cynical, but I think allot of guys only do it because it's available, it's pretty easy, it's fairly cheap, and they can say they did it. I may be starting a pissing contest here on the merits of the mod (gee, something new and different!)......., but I'm pretty sure that you won't notice much difference in how the car rides and handles for the vast majority of the time.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 PM
7th Gear

I have been researching RSBs for my car as well. I plan to keep the rest of my suspension stock, so I was also a little wary about the added stress to the endlinks and chassis mounts. General consensus seems to favor the progress over the comptech, but I'm more interested in the Neuspeed (19mm) or H&R (20mm) RSBs. Both are more expensive at around $200, but I like the fact that they are not as stiff as the progress/comptech RSBs. My hope is that with a milder RSB and stock suspension, I wont run into broken endlinks or cracked mounts.

What do you guys think about that argument? Or should I just get the progress and run it on the softest setting?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Frankly I think the cracked mount thing is very overblown. I think it's happened to one member from both of the main tsx forums. One. Out of hundreds, possibly thousands, of people running the RSB's.

Broken endlinks are cheap and easy to repair, and as a ball joint, they are prone to wear from normal use anyhow -- deal with it.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

Im from Cincinnati as well, are there any Tsx clubs around here?

Quick Reply: rear sway bar