quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
quick question

I recently got my new tires installed. I got the dunlop sp sport signature from tirerack.

I don't know but something just doesnt feel right. its not running as smooth as it should. I got an alignment done last year, but on my old tires. Should i get another one done with the new tires? would it make a difference?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tires won't alter your suspension's geometry so you don't need an alignment because of new tires. It's entirely possible that the shop that put your new tires on hit some suspension components while doing so and knocked it out of alignment, which would require a re-alignment, but it's unlikely.
Can you be more descriptive than "just doesn't feel right"? That's pretty vague. Bear in mind, different tires will feel differently rolling down the road. I don't know anything about the dunlops so can't comment on the feel they should have.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
new tires won't alter your suspension's geometry so you don't need an alignment because of new tires. It's entirely possible that the shop that put your new tires on hit some suspension components while doing so and knocked it out of alignment, which would require a re-alignment, but it's unlikely.
Can you be more descriptive than "just doesn't feel right"? That's pretty vague. Bear in mind, different tires will feel differently rolling down the road. I don't know anything about the dunlops so can't comment on the feel they should have.

Need a little more info to offer an opinion, but...... air pressure? balance? rotational tires mounted pointing the wrong way? That's the easy stuff. Maybe you got an out of round tire (unlikely I know, but hey....).
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That is a vague description of what is going on... more info would help. I have had the issue of shops not balancing them correctly. If you can't find anything else wrong, try taking them to a different shop for a balance. Make sure you rule out the alignment issues first.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Tangoman
That is a vague description of what is going on... more info would help. I have had the issue of shops not balancing them correctly. If you can't find anything else wrong, try taking them to a different shop for a balance. Make sure you rule out the alignment issues first.
alright so ill explain. I got the tires installed at walmart and watched them balance the tires in front of my face. The car drives fine, but i feel minor pulsating when i go 65 mph + on the highway. Now it could be the bad roads in NJ, but I have even felt minor pulsating on the turnpike which is decently paved and on a 2-3 mile long section on the parkway that was just freshly paved a few months ago.

Do you think maybe i have a bent rim or something? because for my other car, they told me i had one slightly bent rim, but this time they didn't tell me anything.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh I bet Walmart is your problem. Those aren't mechanics or technicians or anybody for that matter. Those guys are people who said they were mechanically inclined to the 20 year old manager doing the hiring interview. They know absolutely nothing about your car and you should NEVER go there.
I would suggest going into your garage, jacking up the car one wheel at a time, and taking the wheel completely loose and reinstalling it to the proper torque specs in the proper manner. You probably have a wheel that's not quite seated correctly because of how they tightened it. Try that and let us know if it helped.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Oh I bet Walmart is your problem. Those aren't mechanics or technicians or anybody for that matter. Those guys are people who said they were mechanically inclined to the 20 year old manager doing the hiring interview. They know absolutely nothing about your car and you should NEVER go there.
I would suggest going into your garage, jacking up the car one wheel at a time, and taking the wheel completely loose and reinstalling it to the proper torque specs in the proper manner. You probably have a wheel that's not quite seated correctly because of how they tightened it. Try that and let us know if it helped.
well im not a mechanic, so anything but that suggestion.

And what do you mean take it loose? like get the wheels remounted or just unscrew the lugs and put the wheel back on.

and what proper torque specs? i have never heard of that with tires.

i think it may be a bent rim or two, i have driven the car on a flat tire before with the wheel basically riding on the road. this happened a few times with a few different wheels so maybe that could be my problem.