Question about rear sway bar (anyone in Irvine?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about rear sway bar (anyone in Irvine?)

hello...

Ive read through a lot of the threads but didnt see what I was looking for.

1. If I get the progress rsb will I need to regrease it like the comptech one to avoid noises? ( i do not have access to tools or jack stands so I am trying to avoid a lot of future maint.

2. is there a life span on the bushings or set up in general? ( will i eventually have to replace something if i get an after market RSB) as opposed to keeping it stock.

3. is it better that I get the comptech RSB from a warranty standpoint? I have heard acura is comptech friendly. (i dont plan to get an after market exhaust.. i am just leaning towards the progress because of the noise reports and having to regrease the comptech)

4. Where is the best place to get the best price on a progress rsb. ? ( ive seen them run about 140 right now. )

5. and lastly has anyone had a shop or dealer install the RSB? if so how much did it run you? (of if there is anyone in the orange county / Irvine area that wouldnt mind helping me with the install please P.M. me)

thank you and sorry for the mass questions I just want to get all the info before i do this.

and on a side note.. i read this forum all day at work i might have shot myself (due to boredom) without it so many thanks..
Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jayi41
hello...

Ive read through a lot of the threads but didnt see what I was looking for.

1. If I get the progress rsb will I need to regrease it like the comptech one to avoid noises? ( i do not have access to tools or jack stands so I am trying to avoid a lot of future maint.
Do it and avoid the potential noises. It's just a preventative and has no ill effects anyway.

2. is there a life span on the bushings or set up in general? ( will i eventually have to replace something if i get an after market RSB) as opposed to keeping it stock.
Good bushings will last the life span of your vehicle. As for the whole set up affecting the life span of anything else, you have nothing to worry about.

3. is it better that I get the comptech RSB from a warranty standpoint? I have heard acura is comptech friendly. (i dont plan to get an after market exhaust.. i am just leaning towards the progress because of the noise reports and having to regrease the comptech)
It's an aftermarket part so there is no warranty implied from Acura. However, if something does go wrong, Acura does have to prove that the sway bar is responsible. Either sway bar will be the same.

4. Where is the best place to get the best price on a progress rsb. ? ( ive seen them run about 140 right now. )
Someone else can best answer this.

5. and lastly has anyone had a shop or dealer install the RSB? if so how much did it run you? (of if there is anyone in the orange county / Irvine area that wouldnt mind helping me with the install please P.M. me)
I'm sure someone can help you. It's a pretty simple job once you get the bolts off and that just takes a little bit of muscle to do. You don't even really need to jack the car off the floor to get at the sway bar.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Canuck

Also to add...

If you use a Progress RSB, it's compatible with all aftermarket exhuasts if you choose to change that at a later date. The comptech is limited to which aftermarket exhuast is compatable.

If you go with comptech...make sure you get a new shipment because it comes with updated bushings.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Thank you for your responses... So it looks like the progress sway bar is the way to go?

So if someone can help me out with where to buy it at for a good price I would appreciate it.

also if there is anyone in my area that has the necessary tools and equip that is willing to help me out with the install I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks again for the reponses
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

ptuning.com was the best I saw. i've had my progress for 1.5yrs and no squeeks
Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you for your responses... So it looks like the progress sway bar is the way to go?

So if someone can help me out with where to buy it at for a good price I would appreciate it.

also if there is anyone in my area that has the necessary tools and equip that is willing to help me out with the install I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks again for the reponses
I got mine on ebay for $125-$135 i think. Something like that.
You dont really need any special tools. Just a socket set and an allen wrench set.
You can lookup a writeup here in the FAQ section of this board. There's a writeup on how to do the install of the RSB step by step. Both the comptech and the progress are going to be the same install steps i believe. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
I got mine on ebay for $125-$135 i think. Something like that.
You dont really need any special tools. Just a socket set and an allen wrench set.
You can lookup a writeup here in the FAQ section of this board. There's a writeup on how to do the install of the RSB step by step. Both the comptech and the progress are going to be the same install steps i believe. Good luck.
My car also required a cylinder/piston jack to help lift the bar to enable me to get the bracket bolts started. We tried loading the car w/ its own weight but it made things pretty tight underneath, so we just used the jack instead.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

thanks for the info guys..

so from what i gather.. i will need to jack up the car? also do I need a torque wrench?

on a side note i called the dealer to see how much they would charge to install a CT RSB and he quoted me 90 bucks! ( i only asked because i seriously have no tools or jack stands or jack for that matter.. )

*still looking for someone in the O.C. to help me out with this .. *
Old 05-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Canuck

JAyi41, where are you located? Are you in the part of the country where road salt is used or lots of rain? If so..you might endlink rusting problems.

What you'll need:

Ramps/Jacks (Ramps are only $20 at Wal-mart)
5 mm Hex
A wrench (to help take off the bushing bolts and endlinks)
Sockets.

Here the biggest tip that will make your RSB much easier to install:

The hard part is holding a 5mm hex and using a wrench to screw off the nut where the RSB attaches to the endlink. Put the hex in..ass a long socket or something so that it uses the control arm as leverage..then just turn the wrench till the nut comes of. Do the same with putting it back on.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
so from what i gather.. i will need to jack up the car? also do I need a torque wrench?
Not a torque wrench but a socket wrench.

Time to buy some basic tools? Good to have in case of emergencies anyway. You can find basic tool kits at most hardware stores
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Not a torque wrench but a socket wrench.

Time to buy some basic tools? Good to have in case of emergencies anyway. You can find basic tool kits at most hardware stores
you also need a torque wrench to properly torqued the brackets and bushings down
Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Instructor

I did this CT RSB install last weekend and I will forward on two other tips that I read on this website that worked:

- Jack up the car and take off one of the wheels before doing the install (I did the passenger rear). This seems to make getting the bars in and out a lot easier.
- If you don't have a greasable zerk on your bushings, you might consider wrapping the bar with teflon tape instead of adding lithium grease. This might save some mess and reduce the amount of dirt and grit being attracted to that area. It's very early for me to say, but so far no creaks or noises.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by narci
JAyi41, where are you located? Are you in the part of the country where road salt is used or lots of rain? If so..you might endlink rusting problems.
Irvine is in Orange County, CA, so no road salt there and relatively minimal rain
Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

yea I live in Irvine ( Southern Cali ) thanks to everyone for their input.. anyone have an opinion on getting ramps vs jack stands?? i would think ramps would be the easier of the 2?

and "bulldoghockey" I am going with the progress RSB from what ive heard after one greasing I wont have to worry about noise issues? so im thinking I wont need any teflon tape?

My last question is do I need to get an alignment after I put in the new RSB??
Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
yea I live in Irvine ( Southern Cali ) thanks to everyone for their input.. anyone have an opinion on getting ramps vs jack stands?? i would think ramps would be the easier of the 2?

and "bulldoghockey" I am going with the progress RSB from what ive heard after one greasing I wont have to worry about noise issues? so im thinking I wont need any teflon tape?

My last question is do I need to get an alignment after I put in the new RSB??
I'd get some jackstands, and then use the OEM jack or be kind to yourself and use a real hydraulic jack. Even the ones from Walmart are OK for occasional use. Ramps will NOT permit you to remove a wheel, and without removing a wheel it's REALLY hard to get the new bar in place. Trust me here.

Progress bar + grease = should be fine.

No alignment necessary.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the info.. yea i thought about it and realized i wouldnt be able to do a tire rotation if i had ramps.

as for the torque wrench

http://www.bostonindustrial.com/bost...al/22towr.html

is this what i need?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Canuck

I never took off the wheel...sway bar took 20 min to take off and put on. Just need to be patient.

Jackstands are probably better since half the time spent on doing this job was trying to find something on the ground to prop the ramps up with. I went with ramps because I'm afraid of jackstands. Friend used one once to do some work underneath his lowered golf...he came out from under the car and the jackstands callapsed nearly crushing his head. I know it was probably jacked up imporperly or soemthing but i'm just paranoid.

Oh..might also help to remove the muffler from the hangers to get at the bolts that hold the bushings down...especially on the driver side.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Advanced

I used ramps to install the Progress rsb. If you remove the plastic cover (2 10mm bolts) under the rear, you'll have room to maneuver the bar in/out. Spray the end-link bolts with PBblaster and use a breaker bar with a 14 mm socket on the end-link to get the bolt going. Then use the 5mm allen wrench with a 14mm flat wrench to finish taking the bolt off. You'll need a 12mm socket and flat wrench to get the brackets off.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Just get the H&R 22mm sway bar. It has forged ends, its adjustable just like the progress, and comes with polyurethane bushings that don't need to be greased EVER- they have a teflon lining along the inside. For the lowest price goto www.allsprings.com
Old 05-11-2006, 12:37 AM
my acura sanctuary

Originally Posted by shaang
Just get the H&R 22mm sway bar. It has forged ends, its adjustable just like the progress, and comes with polyurethane bushings that don't need to be greased EVER- they have a teflon lining along the inside. For the lowest price goto www.allsprings.com
great just when I thought Prog was a done deal choice with poly bushings.....
now H&R. Looks well made. Anybody have experience with this co? from their website:
H&R Sway Bars are crafted from a special 50CrV4 spring steel that is both stronger and more resilient than competitive sway bars....22mm

RSB = $179 + $24 ship

thanks shaangmang
Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

crap... and i thought i had made up my mind... but now im not so sure...

the HR one is more expensive.. but they do claim there will be no noise and no maint. which is important to me.

anyone have and opinion on this H&R sway bar?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

I was looking for the Progress RSB also. I might want to do an aftermarket exhaust in the future. Is the CT RSB only compatible with the stock and CT exhaust?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

yes, from what ive heard from the others the CT RSB only works with a CT and stock exhaust.

Progress allows you to do an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

yes, from what ive heard from the others the CT RSB only works with a CT and stock exhaust.

Progress allows you to do an aftermarket exhaust.
That just seems odd, but thanks for clearing things up.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Instructor

I think the H&R sway was 750.. that was a quote I saw someone had.. wasn't sure if that was front and rear...