Is it ok to change just two tires? And what is equivalent to Yoko Avid 4VS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it ok to change just two tires? And what is equivalent to Yoko Avid 4VS

30,000 miles ago I bought a set of four Yokohama Avid 4VS tires. Since I get my oil change at a mechanic (who doesn't deal with tires, rotations, alignments, etc), I never got my wheels rotated. I know, this is totally my fault and not an excuse. I am just saying that since I don't go to Jiffy Lube or a place that offers an all in one service (oil change, rotation, windshield wipers, etc), I totally forgot. Anyway, my fronts are totally worn on my 05 TSX.

First, is it ok to just change two tires? My rear Yoko's honestly look great. There is a lot of tread on them. The fronts are really bad. If it's ok to change just two ..

Second - I can't find the Avid 4VS's for sale anymore. So what are my choices? Is it ok to get something similar? I don't know much about tires so I don't know what's equivalent. What about the Yokohama S.Drive?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
It is okay just to change 2 tires assuming it's either the fronts OR rears.

The AVID line has been replaced by the ENVigor line.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
first of all, can't you ask for him to rotate them? (may not be free though)(and being in the automotive field, with tires, and alignments, the equipment is expensive, so you better be doing quite a few of them to help pay for it, which most shops cannot justify; but rotates just take a impact and a torque stick to do though [or a torque wrench], so most shops should be able to do them no issue

and because the vehicle is only a 2wd vehicle, yes it is permissible (and not frowned upon, especially if the two remaining ones do still look new) to only put two tires on, normally considered the best to do all 4 though, especially with stability control coming on so many vehicles today, in order to have all 4 matching tires

btw for finding a shop and sticking with them, even for oil changes (even if it is a little bit more, you are showing your loyalty to them, and most shops are making so little if any on oil changes when you use decent filters and oil, that it is more of a customer service thing; but they know you will come to them for any repairs/maintence though)

Last edited by friesm2000; 02-21-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the quick responses. I will pick up a pair of Avid ENVigors for the front. Just to reiterate, I will be changing the front two. I also agree with sticking to a shop. To be honest, I don't really trust mechanics because I think there's so much room for cheating the customer but I really like my Honda/Acura mechanic. I really trust what he says.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the quick responses. I will pick up a pair of Avid ENVigors for the front. Just to reiterate, I will be changing the front two. I also agree with sticking to a shop. To be honest, I don't really trust mechanics because I think there's so much room for cheating the customer but I really like my Honda/Acura mechanic. I really trust what he says.
there is, don't get me wrong, but there are honest ones out there though

and if you really feel the need to, you can always ask for the old parts back (they are your parts anyways; except for parts with core charges, which if you don't want to pay the core charge, gotta go back to the parts store; but most of the time if you ask you should be able to see it though)