OEM Tire Replacement ... SUGGESTIONS ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Tire Replacement ... SUGGESTIONS ?

It's time to replace my original tires on my 2005 TSX due to general wear and some rather nasty curb damage inflicted by my SO.

I'd like an all season tire. According to www.tirerack.com and other other things I've "heard" that these are all better tires than the factory Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. I guess I'm leaning towards the Turanzas.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (wear rate ?)

*Bridgestone Turanza LS-V (good balance ?)

Yokohama ADVAN S.4. (sometimes noisy ?)

Saftey (including grippiness), Longevity (I'm lazy and don't want tires that need replacement every 50k km), Quietness are my main interests here. I'm a "spirted" driver but I'm not going to be racing or anything. navi/auto TSX is a $40k+tax car up here in Canada so a few hundred extra on tires isn't really going to break me. Just want the best.

- Chris
Old 01-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by crfortin
I'd like an all season tire. According to www.tirerack.com and other other things I've "heard" that these are all better tires than the factory Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. I guess I'm leaning towards the Turanzas.
haha. you damn right...

https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=408430

see what these threads say. but ya, rubber bands are better than the mxm4's.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:23 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

You can't have both grip and longevity - it's oxymoronic.
You will always have to trade off one for the other.
My suggestions - Toyo T1-Rs, Goodyear F1 GSD3, Avon ZZR3, Falken 452, Yoko AVS dB
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PJS
My suggestions - Toyo T1-Rs...
What about the Toyo T1-S? I used that on my previous car with good results....

But yeah, sports car tires will wear faster, and give you better results. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about snow down here, so I can get "summer" tires for all year.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:41 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

S's are no more - R's replaced them.
Anyone selling S's at the current price R's are, is taking you for a ride.
They'll be old stock or picked up cheaply when they were EOL (end of line).
Old 01-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda does engines.

I bought the Turanzas and have been happy with them. They are more quiet than the stock Michelins and the grip is very good. The tires take a couple hundred miles to quiet down especially on concrete surfaces, though.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
crfortin - It looks like you're looking for wet-weather grip. I'm tired of throwing 1/2 tread depth tires away because the rubber gets hard and they lose their grip. I've been looking at the tirerack.com test results and really want to buy into the Bridgestone RE960 technology. What's putting me off the $1200 cost of rubber is that I'd rather abuse my tires on road and track, and the idea that Canadians are getting hosed on pricing for the new ADVAN S4 and RE960 - so I'm going to wait for a while, watch the prices, get a local quote, and maybe even order from the States.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Instructor

I replaced the OEMs with some relatively cheap Coopers (about $600 for the set) from my local repair shop. I would have gone with Tirerack, but I was kind of pressed for time, since one of my tires had blown out, and I couldn't afford to wait for the online ones to come in, since I didn't want to drive 90 miles on the donut every day. So my selection was constrained to just the Coopers or the OEMs (which were outrageously expensive). Besides I wasn't too thrilled with the stopping distance and the noise on the OEMs. The Coopers seem a bit quieter and a bit grippier in stopping. However, on the negative side, I think they're also a bit heavier, don't have as firm a handling feel in the corners, are a bit spongy feeling, and have kind of a strange throbbing sound at high speeds. Anyway, I guess I'll live with them.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Another thing: they're not XL load rated. I'm not sure how important that is.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PJS
You can't have both grip and longevity - it's oxymoronic.
You will always have to trade off one for the other.
My suggestions - Toyo T1-Rs, Goodyear F1 GSD3, Avon ZZR3, Falken 452, Yoko AVS dB
I understand the trade-offs. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Instructor

How stupid is this ? (flame away)

Maybe I didn't describe the situation accurately enough.

Anyways, the right front tire got torn on a Saturday Night/Sunday while my wife was 300 miles out of town and needed to come back that day. The remaning MXMs are actually at ~50% tread. 72k km on the car.

The only places open were crappy tire(Canadian Tire) and Walmart. Walmart claimed to have only one tire that would fit. It's their store/brand? NEXXEN 5000 P215/50R17 90H $136.98 or such. Install was $10.50. This all season tire is apperently made in Korea. Bought 1 tire to replace the 1 blown.

Here's the thing: Wife got 30mpg driving back from Ottawa through slush,snow wind and rain in -10C weather so I don't think it's out of alignment. She says she can't honestly tell the difference. Driving the car around light snow and crap this morning, either can I !

Tire looks almost exactly the same, you can't tell it's different unless you know and look about 3 inches from the sidewall.

Anyways, I'm tempted to just leave it and rotate it to the back at next service in 8kkm . 1 Wallmart tire and 3 50% MXMs on my luxury car, How stupid is this ?

Thanks Guys !
Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Walmart Tires FTW

^^ I bet this statement has never been made on this board. LOL
Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I did some searches on the T1-R... looks a bit more expensive than the T1-S, but I guess I'll worry about that when I'm ready to buy. (Give me a few more thousand miles to try to wear down these stockers....)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:40 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
walmart is out to take over the world man... dont support them, haha jk.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the Kumho SPT? Has anyone tried them?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Just got Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Positions installed on my 05/Nav/6-sp TSX. What a difference compared to the OEM Michelins!! The Bridgestones are SO much quieter and smoother than the OEMs and it goes without saying that they have better traction. I highly recommend these tires (based on initial impression - only had them for a day).
Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Racer

I'm very happy with the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge that I got last week. Grip when cornering is better than the previous OEM tires. I also like its asymmetric tread design.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Thank you for all the feedback.

I was thinking Bridgestone (now that I have some time to ponder) Turenza or Pole Position ?

Was going to just order from tirerack.com and take them to the installer. It warns though that customs fees will be bad. So I'm going to call and see how bad.

Any feedback on how the Pole Positions are a few months in under heavier weather conditions(rain and crap) would be great.

The stealer has a "deal" for $300CDN per MXM4 installed. (cough)

I'm thinking about ordering and having installed the A-Spec kit to install about the same time. The car handles well but feels like there is too much body roll on the turns and sometimes even some mushiness. I understand the 05 A-Spec seems to do less and lower less than the 06-07, which is fine for me. I just want a little tightening, not to be scraping the curb as I go.

If HONDATA ever came out with flash for the Auto 05 I think this car would pretty much be where I want.

I rationalize these upgrades by saying they allow me to put off the money-burning temptation of a new car longer.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Another tire to consider are the Cooper Zeon ZPT's. I've got about 5k miles on mine and they feel and look great! Rated between 30k - 40k miles.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by crfortin
Thank you for all the feedback.

I was thinking Bridgestone (now that I have some time to ponder) Turenza or Pole Position ?

Was going to just order from tirerack.com and take them to the installer. It warns though that customs fees will be bad. So I'm going to call and see how bad.

Any feedback on how the Pole Positions are a few months in under heavier weather conditions(rain and crap) would be great.

The stealer has a "deal" for $300CDN per MXM4 installed. (cough)

I'm thinking about ordering and having installed the A-Spec kit to install about the same time. The car handles well but feels like there is too much body roll on the turns and sometimes even some mushiness. I understand the 05 A-Spec seems to do less and lower less than the 06-07, which is fine for me. I just want a little tightening, not to be scraping the curb as I go.

If HONDATA ever came out with flash for the Auto 05 I think this car would pretty much be where I want.

I rationalize these upgrades by saying they allow me to put off the money-burning temptation of a new car longer.
I like the Poles, but do a search b/c there are a few threads talking about them and other tires already.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Instructor

what about goodyear triple tred and michelin hydroedge?? i heard these two are pretty good and they are first and second rated on tirerack. anyone had any exp. with them before ?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Has anybody tried to new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires??

I hate our stock Michelin tires but according to Autoblog, these tires seems decent + there is
a $100 rebate going on with Michelin these days.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Clueless

I'm not a fan of the stock MXX tires. I just got a set of Bridgestone Potenza 960AS along with Gram Light wheels. I like these tires! What a dirrerence in handling. Grip is outstanding. It seems that this is the only ultra-high performance "all-season" tire that Bridgestone makes. I've had good luck with Bridgestones. I love the S03s on my S2000.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting for my new rims, currently I'm looking into Bridgestone Potenza RE750, Summer Performance Tires + Quiet + Long thread life. It has good review/rating/comment on Tire-rack but how come I don't see alot of people running them? It seems like the Bridgestone 050A or RE960A are more popular???
Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chuson
I'm waiting for my new rims, currently I'm looking into Bridgestone Potenza RE750, Summer Performance Tires + Quiet + Long thread life. It has good review/rating/comment on Tire-rack but how come I don't see alot of people running them? It seems like the Bridgestone 050A or RE960A are more popular???
Other people probably live in areas that see snow, rain, or other bad weather and don't want to have to buy snow tires as well, so they go with the all seasons instead. I get snow tires, but went with the all seasons anyway because we do get rain here and the occasional early or late snow.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
I am looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS for my TSX, but i wanted to see what people thought of it in the winter? I have heard good things for grip in the dry, but how does it really handle in the snow. Does it live up the to Tirerack ratings?

link
Old 08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by savage
I am looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS for my TSX, but i wanted to see what people thought of it in the winter? I have heard good things for grip in the dry, but how does it really handle in the snow. Does it live up the to Tirerack ratings?

link
I have those. I just got them in the spring, but I have snow tires for winter so I won't be using them after October-ish.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 AM
8th Gear

Which tires come closest to OEM's sidewall stiffness? Are the Pole Positions close?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with Yokohama Advan S4's, 225/50-17, for a couple of reasons. They're supposed to be about 1lb lighter than the same size RE960's, and obviously slightly taller than OEM size. After about 8,000km I'm not finding either a lot of wet or dry weather grip, with slow turn-in, contrary to the TireRack survey. 38/36psi F/R, however, has at least stiffened the sidewalls to a useful level, so I don't feel like the tires are rolling onto their sidewalls when cornering. Surprisingly, I've also had some hydroplaning issues, but I really feel that I'm glad I wasn't still on the Michelins.

I recently put two Falken 512's, 215/50-17 onto the front of a Mazda 6i. They look a bit narrower and shorter than the tires on the rear, but turn-in is sharp, and on this 4-cly auto, the front end feels lighter than the Yokos on my TSX, and is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 tires (225/45-17) on my 2004 TSX and am ready for a 3rd set. They are a bit pricey, but are quiet and the handling is hugely improved, the traction in the rain is great too. They are not recommended for winter weather/temperatures. I added the A-spec suspension and a Comptech rear bar when I installed the 2nd set of PE2s. What a perfect, neutral handling car. It's really fun to drive now. Not insane, but comfortable, quiet and FAST. I get about 25-30k miles out of each set. I haven't found anything better yet for an all-around performance summer tire.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
o_0
10th Gear

My new 2008 TSX non-navi came with Michelin Pilot MXM4... I've heard that they used to get different tires, is that true? Did they used to have more practical tires?

I assume that these tires are a good compromise tire but not really great at anything. Are these tires really that bad in the snow as other higher end "all season tires"?

After how long should these tires be replaced to get good functional use out of?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by o_0
My new 2008 TSX non-navi came with Michelin Pilot MXM4... I've heard that they used to get different tires, is that true? Did they used to have more practical tires?

I assume that these tires are a good compromise tire but not really great at anything. Are these tires really that bad in the snow as other higher end "all season tires"?

After how long should these tires be replaced to get good functional use out of?

WOW old thread! Anyway I am pretty sure that the TSX always came with those michelins. I am not sure what you mean by more practical tires though?

I am generally displeased with most cars stock tires - the TSX is no exception. The tires are not quiet and they dont grip very well. Longevity is ok and so is fuel economy but for tires that arent quiet or grippy i would want great tread life and great fuel economy. You are right in saying that they are not great in any one single aspect.

In terms of snow handling that is an opinion and most people's will vary. It all depends on how much snow you drive in. I spent all of my life on the canadian praries and the last 10 of which in the northern half of canada - trust me I have driven through/seen more snow then anyone should ever have to. These tires suck in the snow as do most all seasons. With that said here in Cleveland they are fine.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by o_0

Holy revival! Anyway, the MXM4 has been the TSX OE tire since day one I believe. They're pretty universally hated by this crowd (myself included), but they must have some merit since Honda hasn't seen its' way to replace them. They're quite run of the mill; adequate (barely) at most things an all season tire is supposed to do, but excel at nothing. Mileage will vary; expect probably 40K-50K plus miles from them depending on the type of driving you do. Oh, and they're pretty pricey for such a crappy tire. My wife blew one at around 30K I think, so I replaced the set and sold off the other three on ebay. Can't speak for the snow performance since I've always used 4 snow tires in the winter (cheap insurance IMHO).
Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 PM
mlt
10th Gear

The wear and tear on the MXM4 is pretty noticeable after 10k at least for me.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

Toyo Proxes 4 are probably the best all-season performance tire you can buy
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Holy revival! Anyway, the MXM4 has been the TSX OE tire since day one I believe. They're pretty universally hated by this crowd (myself included), but they must have some merit since Honda hasn't seen its' way to replace them. They're quite run of the mill; adequate (barely) at most things an all season tire is supposed to do, but excel at nothing. Mileage will vary; expect probably 40K-50K plus miles from them depending on the type of driving you do. Oh, and they're pretty pricey for such a crappy tire. My wife blew one at around 30K I think, so I replaced the set and sold off the other three on ebay. Can't speak for the snow performance since I've always used 4 snow tires in the winter (cheap insurance IMHO).

EDIT: The one thing to be careful for when reading tire reviews is that most people that make comments on tires make those statements with nothing to compare them to. "Bridgestone blizzaks are the best winter tires EVAR!" What they dont tell you is that they are the only/first dedicated winter tires they have had making their opinion/statement essentially worthless.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:33 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Originally Posted by Red@8
WOW old thread! Anyway I am pretty sure that the TSX always came with those michelins. I am not sure what you mean by more practical tires though?

I am generally displeased with most cars stock tires - the TSX is no exception. The tires are not quiet and they dont grip very well. Longevity is ok and so is fuel economy but for tires that arent quiet or grippy i would want great tread life and great fuel economy. You are right in saying that they are not great in any one single aspect.

In terms of snow handling that is an opinion and most people's will vary. It all depends on how much snow you drive in. I spent all of my life on the canadian praries and the last 10 of which in the northern half of canada - trust me I have driven through/seen more snow then anyone should ever have to. These tires suck in the snow as do most all seasons. With that said here in Cleveland they are fine.

EDIT: The one thing to be careful for when reading tire reviews is that most people that make comments on tires make those statements with nothing to compare them to. "Bridgestone blizzaks are the best winter tires EVAR!" What they dont tell you is that they are the only/first dedicated winter tires they have had making their opinion/statement essentially worthless.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear

I'm looking into the Bridgestone RE960's... I hate the OEM tires more than anything - I've had two with bubbles that I replaced already... at 250 or so a tire... shoulda just bought the Bridgestones then... I'll post when I get them installed.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
2.4 L iVtec

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stephanoya
Toyo Proxes 4 are probably the best all-season performance tire you can buy

I actually just got them 2 days ago. They are incredible, highly recommended.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

anyone tried Goodyear Eagle F1 all season?

Quick Reply: OEM Tire Replacement ... SUGGESTIONS ?