New wheels, slight damage. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 07:02 PM
Instructor

New wheels, slight damage. Advice?

Semi-newbie here, reaching out to forum members for their thoughts. I just purchased a set of TSX accessory wheels, 17" sparkle silvers. I wanted to go bigger, but figured I could save money by using the stock tires on these. It looks like one of the wheels was slightly damaged during shipping. Shipping was by UPS ground. Is there any recourse for me? Insurance or anything?

My other question for you guys is, is there anything I can do to fix it? And if so, is it worth it? The damage is pretty slight, just a couple of small dents, almost like some chunks are missing. I'm sure I'm exaggerating and being anal, but anytime I buy something new, I expect just that, new. Below are some pics.

Above is a shot of all four wheels. The one on the bottom left is the damaged one.

Above is a close up of the damaged wheel.

Above is a close up of the damaged area.

Another angle.

Another angle.

Yet another angle.

Here's another shot that kind of shows how minor the damage is. Once the tire is on, I think it may be even harder to notice. Do I need to be concerned about putting a tire on this wheel? Or am I pretty safe in assuming there should be no problems?

Also, just some quick questions on how to put the center cap together. It doesn't look like it screws in. Do I just pop it in by force? And do I need to do anything to make sure the 'A' emblem doesn't fall off the center cap?

I appreciate your input. I love this forum!
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:00 PM
Team Owner

You can probaby get that fixed up by a wheel shop easy.

But I'd try to get UPS to reimburse for the damage.
Old 06-15-2007 | 12:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EuRTSX

Thanks for the quick reply. I was reading UPS' website and it says something like they need to make sure it was packaged properly. In my opinion, there was not enough bubble wrap and stuffing to keep it protected. According to the shipper, though, it was shipped in the original boxes provided by the manufacturer.

I may end up asking a dealer to help me out, because it seems like the damage is pretty minimal, and I'm itching to get them on already! But if you think it should be repaired before I put them on, I'll try to find a wheel shop close by. Anyone know a reputable place in los angeles?
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:01 AM
Instructor

If UPS doesnt fix it and you are a DIY'er, there is a thread that shows you how you can repair it using bondo, sandpaper, and paint.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22066

Here's another one with pictures...http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10914
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:48 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Get rid of the stock tires and get some with "rim guard" edging that basically overhangs the wheel, protecting it from light curb damage, etc. This will almost 100% cover that mostly cosmetic damage.

You'll also have MUCH better tires than the stock POS ones.

when you go to get the tires mounted, make sure you note to the technician that there's minor damage to one wheel (even put bright tape next to it so they can't miss it!), and get his opinion on if their "goopy glue" tire sealer stuff they use for the install, will prevent any air leaking from that area.

I don't think at first glance that its going to be anything but a very slight cosmetic problem.
Old 06-15-2007 | 06:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KBraggs
If UPS doesnt fix it and you are a DIY'er, there is a thread that shows you how you can repair it using bondo, sandpaper, and paint.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22066

Here's another one with pictures...http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10914
It'd be great if an admin (or someone) could host the pictures from the other forum so they could be included back in my original DIY, since the poster from the other forum used my pix for his post.

I'm not sure my DIY process is worth it for your issue. It's better for lots of rash. You seem to have some decent dents, but they may not be that obvious for normal viewing distances. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2007 | 06:58 PM
TF500

Originally Posted by EuRTSX

If they were packed in the original boxes from the manufacturer then it's UPSs fault,they must replace/rectify the damaged rim,after all it wasn't your fault why should you wear the cost!But in saying that once you get a tyre on that rim i doubt you'll notice the damage.
Old 06-15-2007 | 09:26 PM
Just dial 1911

Who did you buy them from? The shipper should be taking care of the problem, not you.
Old 06-17-2007 | 03:27 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your replies! In the end I was too impatient and I went ahead and installed the wheels as they were. The guy at the shop said the damage would have no impact on air pressure or anything. It's also very hard to see, pretty much only visible from pretty close up. Thanks again everyone! By the way, I have some stock '07 wheels available for sale now, without the tpms, in case anyone is interested. Only 3,642 miles on them. They're pristine, no curb rash or anything. I'll post pics when I get a chance, and put up a thread in The Black Market. Looking for $400 but I'll consider reasonable offers. Would prefer local pickup (Los Angeles, CA) but if there's not enough interest I'll consider shipping.