Neuspeed Supercup kit feels.. "disconnected"??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neuspeed Supercup kit feels.. "disconnected"??

So i've had my kit on for a few months, and somehow.. it doesn't feel right. it never felt right. It feels very jarring and disconnected from the road. It feels like there's not enough damping or something.

tiny bumps feel like big ones. big bumps feel like huge ones. Anyone else have the same feeling? Like it feels like it's kinda jarring or not damping the vibrations on the road correctly.

I have it on stock height settings, but i'm running 18x8 wheels with 225/40/18 tires. Could the wheel/tire combo be doing it?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Advanced

also forgot to mention that i'm on the softest settingtoo.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sport or Race springs?

Im running the sport springs with the front at front and rear currently at 1.5 turns from soft. On the softest setting it just didnt feel rite with the car bouncing way more then it should. Try going up the firmness and see if it helps. One turn will probably alleviate of most of what your discribing as i run the same size tires as you.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 AM
5th Gear

it's likely just that your dampers need to be adjusted. it is not the case that moving the konis to the softest setting automatically means comfort, and moving them to the stiffest means handling. the movement of the suspension needs to be controlled. too soft or too hard, and both the ride quality and handling suffers.

there will be some trial and error involved in the adjustment. spend an adequate amount of time feeling out each change that you make. adjust them a little bit at a time, if it feels sloppy and/or uncomfortable, tighten up the dampers. note the point at which they become most comfortable. you can keep tightening them up if you want from there to optimize handling for the roads you see, but overdampening will create it's own issues, so be aware.

I would start with the front, set them to full soft, and then tighten them a quarter or 1/8th of a turn at a time, and then test out both how the car responds to bumps, and also how it controls the movement of the suspension when maneuvering at speed...just use equivalent testing procedures for each adjustment so can make a direct comparison between the changes. once you get the front the way you want it such that the movement feels controlled, and most comfortable, then start adjustig the rear. it's a little more tricky at that point because you'll have to think about what sort of handling bias you want to have, and how that plays into comfort, but it's basically the same idea.

IIRC, Koni has a damper adjustment guide somewhere on their site as well, you might want to check that out.

If it's not good enough even after you've found the ideal damper settings for those springs, you might want to think about getting some springs that aren't aren't made almost solely for appearance. The neuspeed springs simply lower the car too much to be beneficial to handling, and they hurt ride quality to boot.

far too lengthy response, but i hope it helps a little.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chanke4252
it's likely just that your dampers need to be adjusted. it is not the case that moving the konis to the softest setting automatically means comfort, and moving them to the stiffest means handling. the movement of the suspension needs to be controlled. too soft or too hard, and both the ride quality and handling suffers.

there will be some trial and error involved in the adjustment. spend an adequate amount of time feeling out each change that you make. adjust them a little bit at a time, if it feels sloppy and/or uncomfortable, tighten up the dampers. note the point at which they become most comfortable. you can keep tightening them up if you want from there to optimize handling for the roads you see, but overdampening will create it's own issues, so be aware.

I would start with the front, set them to full soft, and then tighten them a quarter or 1/8th of a turn at a time, and then test out both how the car responds to bumps, and also how it controls the movement of the suspension when maneuvering at speed...just use equivalent testing procedures for each adjustment so can make a direct comparison between the changes. once you get the front the way you want it such that the movement feels controlled, and most comfortable, then start adjustig the rear. it's a little more tricky at that point because you'll have to think about what sort of handling bias you want to have, and how that plays into comfort, but it's basically the same idea.

IIRC, Koni has a damper adjustment guide somewhere on their site as well, you might want to check that out.

If it's not good enough even after you've found the ideal damper settings for those springs, you might want to think about getting some springs that aren't aren't made almost solely for appearance. The neuspeed springs simply lower the car too much to be beneficial to handling, and they hurt ride quality to boot.

far too lengthy response, but i hope it helps a little.
The dampers in the supercup kit are valved for the race springs.

The sport springs have a lower spring rate, so this combo will be overdamped.

The adjustment on the dampers does not affect compression damping, so there is not way to correct for this.

To get the best ride quality, get the race springs. Do not be concerned that the spring rate is higher. It is much more important that the valving on the dampers is matched to the springs.

No matter what, do not put in springs with a lower spring rate (stock or a-spec springs, etc) because this will make things worse!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've run the race springs for about 1.5 yrs and have had zero issues.Handles great and rides pretty smooth(for a lowered car,and compared to many of my friends that run skunk2,buddyclub,and tein).Maybe all your settings are off.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been considering getting this kit for a while. How easy is it to adjust the settings for the rear? Do you need to remove the rear seat?

To the OP, did you adjust the settings? How's it feel now?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by green_henry
I've been considering getting this kit for a while. How easy is it to adjust the settings for the rear? Do you need to remove the rear seat?

To the OP, did you adjust the settings? How's it feel now?
rear seat needs to be folded down, and there is a plastic cover above the opening into the trunk that needs to be removed. takes a couple minutes, nothing big. you can ghetto rig it so you don't have to do that, and so you can just leave the adjusters in all of the time, but it's not as pretty. once you get it set up right it's not really something you're going to touch very often.

one thing that I really don't like about this kit is the way the front strut mounting points are supported. if you look at the stock hardware there should be a pretty sturdy ring that is above the point where the strut mounts to the suspension arm. on the konis there is no such reinforced ring, so the kit relies solely on the clamping force of the pinch bolt for mounting, and the shocks are more prone to slipping as a result. it's not a super common problem, but in an area with bad roads it can cause issues. However, if you live somewhere with nice roads it shouldn't matter.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by feuss2
The dampers in the supercup kit are valved for the race springs.

The sport springs have a lower spring rate, so this combo will be overdamped.

The adjustment on the dampers does not affect compression damping, so there is not way to correct for this.

To get the best ride quality, get the race springs. Do not be concerned that the spring rate is higher. It is much more important that the valving on the dampers is matched to the springs.

No matter what, do not put in springs with a lower spring rate (stock or a-spec springs, etc) because this will make things worse!
They might be valved for the race springs, but the race springs still lower the car way too much unless you start getting into changing the suspension geometry. In terms of street car applications, it's a spring made for appearance, as are most setups that lower the car that much without addressing the suspension geometry.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM

They might be valved for the race springs, but the race springs still lower the car way too much unless you start getting into changing the suspension geometry. In terms of street car applications, it's a spring made for appearance, as are most setups that lower the car that much without addressing the suspension geometry.
The dampers in the Supercup kit are valved for the race springs.

If you want good ride quality, the dampers have to be valved for the springs you are using with them.

I think the OP should consider a different suspension kit if the race springs drop too low.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by feuss2
The dampers in the Supercup kit are valved for the race springs.

If you want good ride quality, the dampers have to be valved for the springs you are using with them.

I think the OP should consider a different suspension kit if the race springs drop too low.
slightly overdampening is generally much more preferable to significantly limiting travel and borking the geometry, both in terms of comfort and performance.

Besides, having used these dampers with a number of different springs, I can tell you first hand that in this case the neuspeed spring definitely negatively affects comfort compared to some other options.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Advanced

slightly overdampening is generally much more preferable to significantly limiting travel and borking the geometry, both in terms of comfort and performance.

Besides, having used these dampers with a number of different springs, I can tell you first hand that in this case the neuspeed spring definitely negatively affects comfort compared to some other options.
what other springs do you recommend
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Can you please cite your source(s) of information?

Overdamping reduces suspension travel, and can make even a stock spring ride harshly and perform unacceptably as discussed here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-tires-wheels-suspension-130/help-tokico-blues-horribly-bouncy-773409/

What other springs are you referring to? And what were the spring rates?

With the SP3's, is it possible to raise the car 10-20mm on the spring perches? The difference is an additional .75" of drop with the race springs...