Need some serious help with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005 | 06:14 PM
Professional Newbie

Need some serious help with suspension

I am going to get a suspension setup in a few weeks (hopefully) but am unable to get a clear response. I was thinking about the Tein type Flex, and i hate to repost but am seeing conflicting reports in the forums:

Dzuy said:
“the stiffest setting is way too harsh on the road. it handles great tho.
the softest setting is perfect for normal street driving. handles as well as it did, if not slightly better, than the car w/ the eibach pro kits. but driving experience is improved over pro kit/stock shock combo. def. not as bouncy.”

TechSX said:
“I have the Tein Flex at setting #8 front and #6 rear (16 levels total). The suspension is really stiff no matter what setting its on. I had a set on a 99 Civic Si, and now my second set on the TSX w/ EDFC, both are harsh. “

along with

“No pain, no gain. However for the less extreme drivers out there that just want the look, I highly recommend springs over a full coilover set”

Can i get some more opinions here so i don't end up hating my suspension setup??

btw my other consideration is koni yellows w/ a pro kit....so comments on the ride quality of that would also be helpful
Old 03-13-2005 | 06:40 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

what's conflicting exactly, everyone says the flex is very stiff.

go for the basic or SS if you want a softer coilover
Old 03-13-2005 | 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

It depends with model of Flex you are getting. The US spec Flex p/n is DSA64-6USS4 has 783 lbs F & 488 lbs R spring rates. The JDM spec Flex p/n DSA42-61SS1 has 559 lbs F & 336 lbs R spring rates, which is the same as the US spec SS or Basic.
Old 03-13-2005 | 07:45 PM
Professional Newbie

does the EDFC work with the SS or the Basic?
Old 03-13-2005 | 08:33 PM
Professional Newbie

....nobody knows?

on Tein's site they don't mention any of the others working with the EDFC, except for their full racing suspension
Old 03-13-2005 | 08:36 PM
Photography Nerd

It's only been 48 minutes.
I expect you to place your order within an hour of you receiving your answer.
Old 03-13-2005 | 08:38 PM
Photography Nerd

30 seconds of searching and you'd have your answer. Neither the SS or Basic can be used with the EDFC. Get the Type Flex if you want it.
Old 03-13-2005 | 08:41 PM
Professional Newbie

Alright then I would say I am one question away from a decision....which is more comfortable ride quality....Konis with Pro Kit, or Tein type Flex?
Old 03-13-2005 | 08:43 PM
Professional Newbie

and yes, I have used the search, but nobody seems to have directly compared those two, and...as shown by my initial post...there may be differing opinions on the same product
Old 03-13-2005 | 08:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Alright then I would say I am one question away from a decision....which is more comfortable ride quality....Konis with Pro Kit, or Tein type Flex?
I'm pretty sure the ProKit springs have a softer spring rate than the Teins.
Old 03-13-2005 | 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

and yes, I have used the search, but nobody seems to have directly compared those two, and...as shown by my initial post...there may be differing opinions on the same product
Here's a message where someone compared what you are talking about. Go down to post #35 by al8818:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=20493&page=2

He states Pro-kits are comfortable, but due to the progressive nature of the spring, he thought it was difficult to find a good overall damping level with the Konis.

FWIW, I personally don't think high spring rates alone necessarily means poor ride quality. I think the compression damping of a shock plays a greater part. When it comes to Japanese shocks (Tokicos, GABs, KYB-AGX) I have found that they tend to have too much compression damping. To make matters worse, it seems like their damping adjustment increases BOTH compression and rebound or just compression alone. Thus, when paired with stiff springs, the ride quality is harsh.

OTOH, with Koni sports, when you run a stiffer and lower spring, increasing the rebound damping will simultanouesly decrease the compression damping. This makes sense as the stiffer spring will not need further compression damping since the stiffer spring will already be harder to compress by virtue of its higher spring rate. What you do need is increased rebound damping to control the stronger rebound of the stiffer spring. Koni shocks seem to do just that. This is probably why most cars I've driven or riden in with Konis have good ride quality.
Old 03-13-2005 | 09:55 PM
Professional Newbie

thanks AlterZgo, wish we still had the rep point system...so i think konis and pro kit are the way to go

if n e body wants to stop me, lemme know in the next 24 hours or so
Old 03-13-2005 | 09:59 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I'm pretty sure the ProKit springs have a softer spring rate than the Teins.
a not having pillowball mounts would make the eibach/koni's softer too
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks AlterZgo, wish we still had the rep point system...so i think konis and pro kit are the way to go

If you decide to buy Konis, I would recommend buying the Neuspeed version of the Koni Sport which comes w/ 5 adjustable spring perch levels rather than the typical 3. This gives you more options for adjusting ride height.

Also, you can buy the Neuspeed Konis for about $550 on e-bay. Search for "Neuspeed Koni" and look for the TSX application. The e-bay seller is "asw88".
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:03 PM
Luke 1:37

Hold your horses? You're in Boston, where are you getting the Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro Kit? I'm in Boston too and I'm looking to get the same setup. Let me know where you're getting it from and maybe we can get a better deal on it. PM me.
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:15 PM
Professional Newbie

Virtualbong, there are two shops around the boston area.... PF Modify is one, but the one that i have used a couple times before is Wheel Dynamix. They are in Natick, its a very small shop but they have some nice guys there who know what they are doing. Hopefully they can get the Neuspeed version of the konis that AlterZgo mentioned for us. Here's their site...

http://www.wheeldynamix.com/
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:21 PM
Professional Newbie

oh, and xizor....can i install the konis without the pillowball mounts?

and AlterZgo, the konis you mentioned...are those any different from the koni yellows other than more height notches?
Old 03-13-2005 | 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Konis do not come with pillowball mounts. They use the stock upper mounts so you would disassemble the stock shock and spring assembly, take the stock upper mounts and install them with the Konis and Eibach springs.

The Neuspeed Konis also have a 20 mm shorter shock piston which is designed to work better on a lowered car.

I just received my Neuspeed Konis this past week. They are made by Koni and is a Koni branded product. Other than the differences noted, they are pretty much identical to the non-Neuspeed Koni sport shocks. I don't know for sure, but I believe that the compression and rebound damping are the same. Regardless, both have adjustable damping.
Old 03-14-2005 | 12:03 AM

Virtualbong, there are two shops around the boston area.... PF Modify is one, but the one that i have used a couple times before is Wheel Dynamix. They are in Natick, its a very small shop but they have some nice guys there who know what they are doing. Hopefully they can get the Neuspeed version of the konis that AlterZgo mentioned for us. Here's their site...

http://www.wheeldynamix.com/
Have you purchased from these guys before?

I see that they also sell wheels, so if you want to work together to get a good deal, then I'm up for that. I'd be interested in seeing how much for Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro Kit there, plus some wheels, so if they knew that we were getting all this stuff from them, I'm thinking they should try to accomodate us by giving us a decent deal. Let me know if you want to work something out.
Old 03-14-2005 | 01:14 PM

I just emailed those guys from Wheel Dynamix and their prices are about $200 more than what you can get online. Here's the email (notice the bold):

Wil,

First the easy stuff. The wheels and tires.

The volcano's will cost you $1500 with the tires.
The enkei rp03s will cost you $1900 with the tires.
The rpo2s are discontinued.

The suspension will cost you for the parts only including camber kits for
the front which I highly recommend
will cost you $1245.

Everything at this time is in stock!

Thank you for the opportunity to quote you.

jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: wil_kwong@hotmail.com [mailto:wil_kwong@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:17 AM
To: sales@wheeldynamix.com; pk@infinitydesignstudios.com
Subject: Wheel Dynamix INFO REQUEST

The following online information request has been generated.

Name: WIL
Phone:
E-mail: wil_kwong@hotmail.com

Below are any comments they submitted:
I was referred to you guys from a friend. I was wondering what kind of deal
would I be able to get if I were to purchase multiple items from you guys
and maybe have 1 or 2 other people interested in purchasing some stuff at
the same time. But for me, I have a 2005 Acura TSX and I would like to
purchase the Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs, Koni Yellow Shocks, and maybe
a wheel package if you guys were able to offer me a good deal on the entire
package. I would be interested in 18x7.5\" TSW Volcanos or maybe Enkei
RP02s or Enkei RP03s matched with some Falken Ziex 512s in 235/40/18s.
Please let me know the estimated cost for each item if I were to get
everything as a package deal. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2005 | 04:41 PM
Professional Newbie

hmm...i just don't know of a better place to have it done, and i'm sure as hell not gonna attempt this myself
Old 03-14-2005 | 06:39 PM

hmm...i just don't know of a better place to have it done, and i'm sure as hell not gonna attempt this myself
Oh, you can still bring it to them to install or even PF Modify. I went to PF Modify to get my catback installed way back when I didn't want to attempt any kind of install on my car and they are pretty cool. I bet it would be under $200 to install the suspension. I remember that they quoted me $125 for my Integra back in the day.
Old 03-14-2005 | 08:13 PM
Professional Newbie

PF Modify, according to their site, is in the process of moving their shop, but they don't seem to have mentioned where to, and its been that way for a month....do you know anything about what became of them?
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:26 AM
Instructor

I can recommend the neuspeed/koni with Comptech 110-160 springs.

These springs are said to be made by Eibach, identical to prokit? I don't know.
The drop is the same.

My ride quality is good. It can get hard on really rough roads but that is
going to happen on any suspension. Right off the top the springs are soft
enough and then get harder. I don't have any problem with damping.
The rebound is fine no oscillations. I'm using 1-5/8 front turn and 3/4 rear
turn on the shocks.

I was already at a point where my car needed the koni's even on stock
springs, this happen after putting on 225/40-18's.

I just put Tokiko on my wife's van, and it is
harsher on bumbs than mine. Too much compression damping, mine is fine.

The front drop is about 1.75", rear 1.5. My bottom will touch on rediculous
high speed bumbs. I hope that will be fixed next with 235/40-18 vs current 225/40-18.
Old 03-15-2005 | 06:55 AM

PF Modify, according to their site, is in the process of moving their shop, but they don't seem to have mentioned where to, and its been that way for a month....do you know anything about what became of them?
Don't know what's going on with them. I haven't been there since I got them to install my Greddy Evo on my integra and that was about 2 years ago. I've been planning on stopping by there to see if they can get me a deal on wheels or suspension and I was going to stop by another place on Commonwealth Ave. It used to be called RPM Motorsports, but they changed their name to something else. They have a bunch of wheels hung up on their store windows so that everyone driving by can see it. Hopefully they'll have a good deal on wheels there.
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:00 PM
Professional Newbie

thanks TSXTuner, and virtualbong, if you find out the name of the shop on comm ave lemme know
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:14 PM
Professional Newbie

oh and virtualbong, i'm not sure if you missed it, but your name isnt on the list...there is a meeting at F1Boston coming up mid may, you should come

here's the link to the thread...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...17#post3963717
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:15 PM

I should be on that list...I think I was under the people who will come but won't race.
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:02 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i still prefer my tein flex over the pro kit. the ride is a lot tighter.

i now have my front and rear set at 12, with 16 being full soft.

my car is sitting a lil too low for the 19's, it does rub occasionallly. but i dont have any time to adjust the height, so i'm keeping it.

if you get the pro kits, i would suggest buying aftermarket shocks and def a rear camber kit.

speakin of camber kits, where has stiffy been?
Old 03-16-2005 | 02:46 AM
Teh seX

i seriously recommend you getting either the Buddy Club racing spec dampers.. or the tein flex's.. both coilovers. you might want to adjust it in the future whether its for looks or performance. you will be spending a lot of money already with the spring plus shocks combo.. might as well go for some nice coilovers.. my
Old 03-16-2005 | 05:55 AM
Professional Newbie

i was interested in the tein flex's but didn't want to sacrifice that much ride quality, therefore i will go with the konis and pro kit
Old 03-16-2005 | 07:05 AM

i was interested in the tein flex's but didn't want to sacrifice that much ride quality, therefore i will go with the konis and pro kit
I'm feeling the same way. Now, I just need to figure out where the best place to get them are. If you find any good online places or stores around the area, let me know. I'll probably be dropping by that performance shop on Comm. Ave this weekend to see what they got for wheels and how much they could get the suspension setup for.