Lifespan on OEM shocks with Aftermarket lowering springs????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifespan on OEM shocks with Aftermarket lowering springs????

Hello, This forum definitely inspired me a lot. I just purchased and installed 18x7.5 48GM rims/225/40 Tires/Eibach Pro-kit for my '07 NBP, transferred the TPMS sensors and everything is perfect, Its about close to 1.6/1.4 front/rear drop (just like what the it's suppose to be) but still waiting for it to settle. My question is How long do you guys think my OEm shocks will last??? I currently have 9,000 miles on the car/OEM shocks. It seems to ride close to stock (which i was impressed) it's just low obviously and kind'a stiff.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You should be fine, there is obviously going to be pre-mature wear on the OEM shocks because you are running bigger wheels and a lower suspension, however with only 9,000 miles I wouldn’t worry too much about it, however if you go with a aftermarket shock it might ride and handle better than it does now, my drop is very similar to yours, 1.5 F / 1.2 R however my ride has about 78,000 KMS so I thought it would be better off to swap out the shocks just in case I would like to return to stock in the future for sale.

Just to add, I would love to see some pictures.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Instructor

I will post some pics as soon as I get home tonight, just got everything installed yesterday and got home late so didn't have time to take pics. I still catch myself staring at the car right now every hour from the window at my office
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Instructor

i had 40000 on my car then added tein htech springs and my struts blew within a day or two, now im running koni's which i love
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Yikes...that makes me worried. I have those same springs. I put them on with about 50k on the car and now I have 66k miles. No problems but I would like to get aftermarket struts.

Originally Posted by speedlimitz
i had 40000 on my car then added tein htech springs and my struts blew within a day or two, now im running koni's which i love
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Here you go guys, Here's my set-up. Just got everything done Friday Night. Here's the thread for it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42086
Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Parked azz fukk

^sorry but car looks hawt what wheels are those??? and i was thinking of doing springs and later on when i have some spare cash do the shocks....
Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OHH6TSX
^sorry but car looks hawt what wheels are those??? and i was thinking of doing springs and later on when i have some spare cash do the shocks....

They are cheap wheels man, MB wheels (Boost 18x7.5) on Discount Tires Direct wrapped with 225/40 Kumho's. The springs that I used are Eibach Prokits (1.6/1.4 drop) Just right for me for everyday use.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Parked azz fukk

Originally Posted by Destrejc
They are cheap wheels man, MB wheels (Boost 18x7.5) on Discount Tires Direct wrapped with 225/40 Kumho's. The springs that I used are Eibach Prokits (1.6/1.4 drop) Just right for me for everyday use.
^ just odered theose same xact whels love the simple but nice clean look..got them with a 35 series tire so i can lower the car little more and sill be good....
Old 03-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Parked azz fukk

i am about to order those exact same wheels ilooks clean and simple love the way ur car looks im thinking it would look good in pwp with my a-spec kit and a nice drop ...we will see thanks man
Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
my stock shocks blew shortly after installing eibach lowering springs. i would not suggest it.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i dropped by car on tein s-tech springs approx. with approx 30,000 miles on the car. my stock shocks blew after about 5 months.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OHH6TSX
i am about to order those exact same wheels ilooks clean and simple love the way ur car looks im thinking it would look good in pwp with my a-spec kit and a nice drop ...we will see thanks man

Thanks, Lemme see some pics once you have them
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jiggaman
my stock shocks blew shortly after installing eibach lowering springs. i would not suggest it.

How many miles on your OEM spring before it blew with the eibachs? did you have the prokit or the sport? the reason I ask is I only have 9K miles on mine right now. And I know a couple of people here in this forum that dropped there car lower than mine and there shocks lasted for the whole leases on there car which for me is about 3 years, 30K to 40K miles.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Instructor

How many miles on your OEM spring before it blew with the eibachs? did you have the prokit or the sport? the reason I ask is I only have 9K miles on mine right now. And I know a couple of people here in this forum that dropped there car lower than mine and there shocks lasted for the whole leases on there car which for me is about 3 years, 30K to 40K miles.
Which actually doesn't pertain to me beacause I bought mine and I figured if it blows then it blows, I'll probably get the Koni's or the Tokico's in about 5 to six months. Thanks for the warning anyways
Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your dampers should be matched to your spring rate. Any aftermarket springs are going to be stiffer than the stock springs. The stock dampers are going to be experiencing higher pressure than they were designed to as the stiffer springs will want to react much faster than stock springs. This will eventually blow out the internal seals between the chambers in the damper. One good jolt could be enough to do it.

Having the damping dialed in correctly is the single biggest influence on keeping your tires properly connected to the pavement.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
prokit, i dont remember how many miles but i didn't have that much. you could certainly get lucky and have them last for a while. i didn't..and it didn't handle that well either with the missmatched combo.

i now have tanabe coilovers..
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Stefon7269

i have a question, my car has about 45k miles on it, and i plan to lower my car, but would putting just the lowering springs be a good idea?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Try reading the thread you just posted in. No.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Alright, ramblings and threads from the forum scared me, I went ahead and ordered the Tokico HP Blues from Excelerate yesterday and got here today!! Being installed right now as we speak. Can't wait to test the ride out afterwards. I'm just too scared from blowing my OEM shocks which pretty much will cost me more money in the end if I decide to bring my car back to stock.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Old School TSX Owner

I had my stock shocks for 3 years on my last TSX with Tanabe DF210 springs. After taking off the springs and putting stock springs back in so i could trade my car back in to the dealer, it didnt fell to much different from how new TSX feels now stock. When you blow your shocks, are they suppose to turn extra bouncy? Cause mine did not, even after 3 years with aftermarket springs in it.

When the car was lowered, the suspension still felt nice and firm.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by finalstageauto
I had my stock shocks for 3 years on my last TSX with Tanabe DF210 springs. After taking off the springs and putting stock springs back in so i could trade my car back in to the dealer, it didnt fell to much different from how new TSX feels now stock. When you blow your shocks, are they suppose to turn extra bouncy? Cause mine did not, even after 3 years with aftermarket springs in it.

When the car was lowered, the suspension still felt nice and firm.

How much of a drop are the Tanabe's? It all depends on road conditions on where you drive, For me, I just want to have that peace of mind, Now that I have High Performance shocks, It saves me the worries about speed bumps and semi pot holes because my shocks are now stiffer and designed for shorter springs. It also avoids my car from "bottoming-out" if you know what I mean. I just didnt want to take the risk.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Drifting

Yeah, the car will bounce a lot more with blown shocks. It would be more noticeable with less stiff springs because the travel would be further. It's possible they could hold up but just shooting from the hip here, it's probably around a 50/50 chance they'll survive.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Yeah, the car will bounce a lot more with blown shocks. It would be more noticeable with less stiff springs because the travel would be further. It's possible they could hold up but just shooting from the hip here, it's probably around a 50/50 chance they'll survive.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
ANTZ

First of all I am new to this forum. Nice to meet you all.

I have gotten the dealer to install the Acura sports suspension when I bought my 08 TSX. I realized that it is only like 1/4 inch lower than stock one. Should I just get some new springs to lower another 1/2 inch or should I buy a whole new set? Does lowering the car by 1/2 inch hurts the shocks less than lowering the car by 1 inch?

Where can I sell the extra set of brand new stock suspension that I have?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ANTZ TSX
First of all I am new to this forum. Nice to meet you all.

I have gotten the dealer to install the Acura sports suspension when I bought my 08 TSX. I realized that it is only like 1/4 inch lower than stock one. Should I just get some new springs to lower another 1/2 inch or should I buy a whole new set? Does lowering the car by 1/2 inch hurts the shocks less than lowering the car by 1 inch?

Where can I sell the extra set of brand new stock suspension that I have?
when i had my 05 i had the A spec first then sold it to go lower and put on Tanabe NF210 springs on the factory struts, better looks and pretty similar ride.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:01 AM
ANTZ

Originally Posted by JoeC1982
when i had my 05 i had the A spec first then sold it to go lower and put on Tanabe NF210 springs on the factory struts, better looks and pretty similar ride.
Would it be better if I put new springs on the A-spec struts than the factory struts? How much did you pay for your springs if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Racer

Would it be better if I put new springs on the A-spec struts than the factory struts? How much did you pay for your springs if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you.
it probably would be better but you can sell your whole A spec kit to get back some of your money. i think i paid around $200 for my springs from Excelerate, it was almost a year and a half ago so i don't remember for sure. i'm probably going to get another TSX next summer so i'm just trying to stay up on the latest info and products.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
How much of a drop are the Tanabe's? It all depends on road conditions on where you drive, For me, I just want to have that peace of mind, Now that I have High Performance shocks, It saves me the worries about speed bumps and semi pot holes because my shocks are now stiffer and designed for shorter springs. It also avoids my car from "bottoming-out" if you know what I mean. I just didnt want to take the risk.

Why not go with some Tein Basics or something? Springs and shocks combo, adjustable height, and short case dampers to increase suspension travel when lowered.

Also, read this:
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1186126842
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
ANTZ

I am looking at these Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs now. Their MSRP is $240 how much should I pay for it? Does anyone have a picture of their car with a 1.7" lowered front and 1.3" lowered back?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

I am looking at these Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs now. Their MSRP is $240 how much should I pay for it? Does anyone have a picture of their car with a 1.7" lowered front and 1.3" lowered back?
See pics here:
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/a42.html

Buy them here:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Tein-Susp...-pr-57069.html
PM me for a coupon code for AZ members only for a discount on anything on our site.

Marcus
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 PM
ANTZ

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
See pics here:
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/a42.html

Buy them here:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Tein-Susp...-pr-57069.html
PM me for a coupon code for AZ members only for a discount on anything on our site.

Marcus
Thank you for your info Marcus however I am in Toronto and I can probably get it somewhere around for $200, and no shipping and customs charges.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Thank you for your info Marcus however I am in Toronto and I can probably get it somewhere around for $200, and no shipping and customs charges.

Well, that sounds decent. We'd be looking at around $190-200 shipped brokerage prepaid, but taxes might be more. We do make down packages but I have no idea what that amounts to on your end.

Marcus
Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt you can find it cheaper than $200, because this is Toronto and car part prices are ridicious, never on parity.

JRP has it for $230CDN + Tax. I heard they are distributor in Canada so I guess this price is the lowest you can get, if not more.

Marcus is . I got my JDM headlight, RacingBrake slotted rotors (4) and all 4 Hawk HPS pad from him. You can ask him to claim the value a little less, ship w/ USPS and you don't have custom.

Marcus, can you give me a quote on Hawk HP+ for TSX FRONT, and 00 Civic Si FRONT. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chuson
I doubt you can find it cheaper than $200, because this is Toronto and car part prices are ridicious, never on parity.

JRP has it for $230CDN + Tax. I heard they are distributor in Canada so I guess this price is the lowest you can get, if not more.

Marcus is . I got my JDM headlight, RacingBrake slotted rotors (4) and all 4 Hawk HPS pad from him. You can ask him to claim the value a little less, ship w/ USPS and you don't have custom.

Marcus, can you give me a quote on Hawk HP+ for TSX FRONT, and 00 Civic Si FRONT. Thanks.

Thanks for the props man! We are going to be updating pad prices online in the next few weeks, and they are going to go up a little. Check there for the best deal right now.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 AM
ANTZ

Originally Posted by chuson

I have called a few places.

- Tires23 in Mississauga (tires23.com) for $220 tax included (I will probably buy it from here)
- Formula Import @Pacific Mall $240 tax included
- Kiz Motorsports @First Markham Place $250 tax included

Is there anything else I will have to purchase, other than the springs, the installation fee and the alignment fee? Is it expensive if I am paying $220 (Springs), $120 (install), $100 (align)? for a total of $440?

Is it better to align a week after installing the springs? That's what I've heard.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have called a few places.

- Tires23 in Mississauga (tires23.com) for $220 tax included (I will probably buy it from here)
- Formula Import @Pacific Mall $240 tax included
- Kiz Motorsports @First Markham Place $250 tax included

Is there anything else I will have to purchase, other than the springs, the installation fee and the alignment fee? Is it expensive if I am paying $220 (Springs), $120 (install), $100 (align)? for a total of $440?

Is it better to align a week after installing the springs? That's what I've heard.

Thanks for your help guys!
I would recommend you to order Tires23 and Formula Import, those two are legit. Do NOT order thru Kiz, they sell legit stuff, but priced WAY higher than what it should be. My friend who does not check prices, paid $800 for front/rear camber kit in there, where I can get from the online store for $350 total, what a rip-off....

Macus, can't find any 00 Civic Si Hawk HP+ Brake pad??
Old 04-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah the civic pads are not up yet, only acura. Hit up our email on this one (go through the site, and shoot me a part number if possible).