Larger Rear wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 AM
pby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larger Rear wheels/tires

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the rear wheels with wider ones?

The reason I ask is that I just noticed the rear wheel wells appear a bit large for the stock tires. The front wheels seem to look ok.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Banned

LOL staggered rear wheels on a FWD car.... doesn't make sense to me
Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Got Milk???

sounds like all you care about is cosmetic. for the money you're gonna spend on wider tires in the back, you might as well save that money and lower your car, it'll look a lot nicer than stock height. going staggered (bigger rear tires/rims) isnt going to help performance, it's your car, do what you think will make you proud
Old 01-03-2005, 10:50 AM
pby
Instructor

Originally Posted by kaikai114
sounds like all you care about is cosmetic.
Well, I definitely wasn't expecting any improvements in performance. If I wanted a better handling car, I would have gone with a 3-series or a G35.

Nevertheless, I think the receded rear wheels, with respect to the rear body panels, look cheap. And lowering the car may further emphasize this fact.

Perhaps there is a real and logical reason for this, because it seems that every civic I see has this design also.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by pby
Well, I definitely wasn't expecting any improvements in performance. If I wanted a better handling car, I would have gone with a 3-series or a G35.

Nevertheless, I think the receded rear wheels, with respect to the rear body panels, look cheap. And lowering the car may further emphasize this fact.

Perhaps there is a real and logical reason for this, because it seems that every civic I see has this design also.

you mean the rear camber issue, the rear wheels look like / \ from the back? i'd think if the wheels arent slanted in, then they wont look as much receded like you said. i switched to 17x8 rims and wider tires, and from just looking at it, the rear wheels look less slanted and more flush with the fenders giving it a more clean look. u can give that a try as well.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i think marinetsx has staggered wheels but he also modded his body panels.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:03 PM
pby
Instructor

Originally Posted by kaikai114
you mean the rear camber issue, the rear wheels look like / \ from the back? i'd think if the wheels arent slanted in, then they wont look as much receded like you said. i switched to 17x8 rims and wider tires, and from just looking at it, the rear wheels look less slanted and more flush with the fenders giving it a more clean look. u can give that a try as well.
I didn't know the rear tires looked like that from the back. I was referring to when you look at the side from the front of the car. The front tires are flush, while the rears appear to be a bit small/receded into the fender.

So are your front tires still flush with the front fenders? If so, I may replace my wheels/tires when it comes timr to replace the POS Michelins.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by pby
I was wondering if anyone has replaced the rear wheels with wider ones?

The reason I ask is that I just noticed the rear wheel wells appear a bit large for the stock tires. The front wheels seem to look ok.

Any thoughts?
If you really want to go for the look, insteal of wider wheels (which will make you understeer more...in basic terms), why not use say +48mm offset rims in the front and +42mm in the back. Exact same size of rims, just a different offset so they "stick out" more from the car. You'll still pay extra for it.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. If you are really hardcore about it and can do the job RIGHT, you can use the stock rims, but add spacers to the rears. That's your cheapest option.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
If you really want to go for the look, insteal of wider wheels (which will make you understeer more...in basic terms), why not use say +48mm offset rims in the front and +42mm in the back. Exact same size of rims, just a different offset so they "stick out" more from the car. You'll still pay extra for it.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. If you are really hardcore about it and can do the job RIGHT, you can use the stock rims, but add spacers to the rears. That's your cheapest option.
The second option about adding spacer to stock rim is not a bad idea. It will actually allow F/R tire rotation. Just make sure the wheel studs are long enough to fit the spacers and lug nuts.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
pby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi

So in plain English, a spacer material could be added to the inner side of the tire such that the tire/wheel would become aligned with the fender? Hope I translated correctly.

Is this safe?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by pby
So in plain English, a spacer material could be added to the inner side of the tire such that the tire/wheel would become aligned with the fender? Hope I translated correctly.

Is this safe?
Safe, for the most part...but not recommended since spacers tend to put undue stress on the studs since the nuts don't screw down quite as tight. Instead of spacers, you would be better off doing aftermarket wheels with varying offsets.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by pby

Is this safe?
More or less. A spacer would go between the inner wheel (rim) and the hub that the lugs are on.

This would push the wheel OUT from the car and make it flush with the fender.

Note that you may run into vibration problems with this setup, although maybe not. I've never used a spacer. And as JTso said, the amount that you space out the wheel, the shorter your lugs become. You have to be careful that you have enough lug to support the wheel.

It's not as safe as directly bolting it to the hub, but people do it. I imagine in the Evo and Subaru forums you'll find more info (no one uses spaces for Acuras and Hondas due to wheel configs).