Ingalls Camber kit rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:48 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ingalls Camber kit rattle

Ive had the ingalls rear camber kit on my car for over a year now and Ive always had this metal, rattle/clunking in the car from the rear. Ive taken it to 2 Acura dealers who say that the reattle is coming from the camber kit. So I took the rear wheels off the car and started poking around. I did find that one side, the inner bar inside bushing was starting to come out of the camber rod and the rubber was starting to show signs of dry rot. the other side had one of the adjustment nuts loose. I wanted to see if any one else has had any problems with their camber kits. Im going to call ingalls as I have some good pics of this at home to show, i'll post those later.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you can get this replaced under warranty through Ingalls. I remember Jiggaman had a camber kit rattle problem. I forget if he had SPC or Ingalls though. Try a search or maybe he'll roll through and clear this up.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lmoorefx
Ive had the ingalls rear camber kit on my car for over a year now and Ive always had this metal, rattle/clunking in the car from the rear. Ive taken it to 2 Acura dealers who say that the reattle is coming from the camber kit. So I took the rear wheels off the car and started poking around. I did find that one side, the inner bar inside bushing was starting to come out of the camber rod and the rubber was starting to show signs of dry rot. the other side had one of the adjustment nuts loose. I wanted to see if any one else has had any problems with their camber kits. Im going to call ingalls as I have some good pics of this at home to show, i'll post those later.
Do you remember if the the links were tightened with the suspension extended or pre-loaded during the installation?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i had SPC camber kit i believe which was clunking like a SOB, it was replaced under warrenty, problem fixed.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:35 AM
10th Gear

I dont know if they were tighned preloaded or not. I was not able to see when the installed them.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

i had a rattle with my ingalls about a day after i drove from my wheel alignment centre

turns out that the washer that has that indentation didnt match up with the indentations on the car itself

so when i ran over some rough roads, i'll sound as if metal was hitting against metal

it was a shitty installation from my nieghbour i must admit

just make sure u got all the ends to the right rods and stuff matey... should be some simple stuff
Old 06-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Im having problems with a metal on metal squeeking/rattling when i go over any kind of bump or unever surface. Sofar all i have done is installed the ingall rears with comptech 110-160 springs. But i think it might be my exhaust hitting something bc they detached it to do the ingall install.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:04 AM
10th Gear

well i would post the pics but I cant, Mods when am i allowed to post attachments?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
08 MDX with Sports

camber rod and the rubber was starting to show signs of dry rott <--I just checked mines and my rubber shows sign of dry/rott also should I be worried?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:15 AM
10th Gear

Does your rear end rattle or clunk?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I see two possible issues...

1. You have the wrong ends on the bars. The fat bushings go on the camber bar and the thin bushings go on the toe bar.

2. The cam washer, inner bolt on the toe bar, is not correctly in the slot.

This doesn't exclude the issue of the rubber bushing having failed.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:19 PM
08 MDX with Sports

No rattles just worried one more winter and the boot/dry might get own'd/..
Old 06-16-2006, 01:32 PM
10th Gear

I contacted Ingalls and sent them the pics that had of the camber bushings. Todd there told me that since I had the set out of the car, to send them to him and he would replace the bushings. So the TSX is on jackstands in the garage and the camber kit is on its way back to Ingalls. I did not send the toe bars as the bushings on those are all good. Im back to driving my 94 sentra. But thats good gives me time to install my new comptech header, rear sway bar, and Ingen CAI!!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Advanced

i had rattling issues the day after i installed too. turned out one of the nuts came loose, so they tightened it.
so far no problems.
i painted my kit blue to avoid rusting issues, hope it helps, we'll see after this coming winter....

Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

something is rattlin like crazy under my car and its driving me bonkers!!! Moda!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CKcentral
something is rattlin like crazy under my car and its driving me bonkers!!! Moda!!!!!!
LOL. I'm not going to Mid-Ohio for the Rolex race b/c I've got a ton of packing to do, but you are more than welcome to come down Friday after work and we'll see wtf is up, but I'm pretty sure yours isn't the Ingalls.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Instructor

My camber kit rattles also. My wheel nuckle(?) wasn't solid tight b/c of this.

I did put silver-nut-side on the inner part and the black -nut-side on the outer part. I am gonna check if I mixed up the bushings.

This is not good

Any others with this problem?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Camber kits don't rattle if they were installed correctly. You'd know if the bushing were on the incorrect bars because one wouldn't fit and the other would be very loose.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by moda_way
Camber kits don't rattle if they were installed correctly. You'd know if the bushing were on the incorrect bars because one wouldn't fit and the other would be very loose.
the SPC camber kits were defective which is what caused mine to make clunking sounds.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Inner diameters of the bushing seem the same for the two. However, the width of the two (is it called spacer?) are different.

Into the place where camber arm inserts in the wheel nuckle, one goes in loose and I coudln't fit the other one. Do I force it in somehow?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
It is a hollow piece of metal with end links. If it's rattling it's something elese or something wasn't installed correctly.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 AM
Instructor

When I follow the instructions, I can't get the bushing with thicker spacer into the wheel knuckle. I tried using hammer to force it in. but it seems like the thicker spacers are 1mm too thick to fit into the solid knuckle. No one had this problem??

Now, I have thinner bushing on it and tightened temporarily. I think I am gonna let a shop take care of this (if they can). The alignment guy said he won't do it unless the part is dead solidly attached to the knuckle.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Instructor

This is where I can't fit the camber arm bushing (shorter arm/thicker bushing)

Pic borrowed from spyguyTSX
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jiggaman
the SPC camber kits were defective which is what caused mine to make clunking sounds.
Correct, but we're talking about Ingalls here.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ebell
This is where I can't fit the camber arm bushing (shorter arm/thicker bushing)

Pic borrowed from spyguyTSX
Then you have the wrong bushing there. Both the wide bushings go on one arm. I thought the toe arms took the wider/thicker bushings, which is the opposite arm as the one in the picture.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Then you have the wrong bushing there. Both the wide bushings go on one arm. I thought the toe arms took the wider/thicker bushings, which is the opposite arm as the one in the picture.
Oh, I meant shorter tube(?) and bushings (both ends) with wider spacers.
I have one side installed properly. it's the otehr side I can'nt fit the bushing with wider spacer into the knuckle. I coudln't even fit the OEM part in there either. Is it possible the OEM part was in there soooo tight, so that after it was removed, the knuckle that was holding it shrunk?

Would it be bad if I grind some spacer off just enough to get it onto the knuckle>?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Dang, 5 min rule.

Is it possible I somehow bent/twisted the knuckle in past 3 days (no hard driving wut so ever)?
It worries me the knuckle might be defective...
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Instructor

I just picked up the car from a garage, it feels rock solid.
Mechanic thinks Knuckle is bent. He shaved off some spacer.

I hope I didn't do much damage to the knuckle...
If I stop showing up here, it'll be b/c the knuckle broke while I was on a highway.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So are the "wider" bushings supposed to be very obviously visually wider?

Because out of both boxes and all eight endlinks, only one has wider metal bushings. The other seven are all more or less the same - one side protrudes more, the other side less. I'm thinking Ingalls might have been asleep at the wheel when putting my kit together. I'm debating between attempting the install anyway, or replacing the kit.

Looks like my insane tirewear will continue for a while until I get this straightened out.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Each box has 4 spacers, 2 of them are wider than the other 2.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 AM
I spend 2 much time here

mine seems to have this issue again, already on my second set of SPC camber kit. going to bring it into shop to have them determine issue...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Audioserf
So are the "wider" bushings supposed to be very obviously visually wider?

Because out of both boxes and all eight endlinks, only one has wider metal bushings. The other seven are all more or less the same - one side protrudes more, the other side less. I'm thinking Ingalls might have been asleep at the wheel when putting my kit together. I'm debating between attempting the install anyway, or replacing the kit.

Looks like my insane tirewear will continue for a while until I get this straightened out.
What dinoc said above.

everything should be on tight.
If you can move the bar/bushings at all after installed, you have a problem.

If you put narrower bushings on the knuckle, you'll be able to wiggle it a bit either loaded or not.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Instructor

Well I'm afraid mine started to rattle also, on low-speed and uneven roads ... what should be the problem, are the bushings of the camber kit bad ?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Instructor

I am almost 100%sure it's not the camber kit unless installed incorrectly (after all the trouble shooting I did. lol).

Make sure you're not too low on all four sides. I set right rear too low, and I thnk I was riding on a bumpstop which stressed the chassis too much. I lifted that side and the rattle is gone now.
Weird thing is I set both left/right rear side spring seat at the same position, but the height is about 0.5" different... Im gonna have a closer look at it this week to see if they really are at the same position.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Instructor

I'm not sure I understand the issue with bump stops , what do you mean by riding on bump stops ? Also rising the height, doesn't compress more the spring ?
The car is lowered like in the picture, do you think is too low ?

I checked my rear suspension within the workshop, de-install it and install it back - the conclusion was - there is nothing wrong with the suspension (it was installed correctly) .

The rattle ( sounds like little squeaks ) on uneven roads (or potholes) at low speeds.
Their opinion was that this might be related to Ingalls camber kit bushings (?!)
Old 05-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor

I like how it looks w/o no wheel gap whatsoever
But I run about 1.5 finger gap all around. Try having 5 ppl in the car and see if you have any rubbing at the back etc.

When I had no finger gap, what I noticed was I had tire rubbing (-1 camber) and height got lowered ever just after the passengers were out the car.

When mine squeaked, there was no problem with the suspension (de-install/install it back too).
After this, I increased the gap to 1.5 finger gap and it's squeak happy.

I am guessing the squeak was from chassis which was under massive stress due to riding on the bumpstop (no spring travel available, like having no springs).

Not 100% sure, but I fixed the problem by increasing the height to increase the spring travel distance..

Can any one else chime in?
Is it possible to bottom out at the height above using H&R CO?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:49 AM
Instructor

But when you increase the height, you compress more the spring ( am I right ? ) .
If you compress more the spring, doesn't the spring become stiffer ?
Does the comfort increase if you increase the height ?

@ebll Can you please post some pictures of your ride ?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Yes if you increase the height, you compress the spring more.
Yes if you compress the spring, it becomes stiffer.

But, if you have softer spring (less compressed), that means your shocks is under greater load than usual. Yes you have softer springs if you lower the ride, but you also have shorter travel available for the springs. Hence, you'll be more likely to hit the bumpstop.

I'll ask my gf to bring her digital cam. and post the pix of the car today. If she forgets, I'll have to use my cell phone.

Im not sure if you've seen the thread where welding problems were causing the noise.
Maybe that?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Instructor

I'm asking for second opinion , do you guys think that my ride is too low ? To low to have rattles ?

My rear camber is set to maximum negative angle accepted.
I don't have rubbing issue, that's for sure (8x17 ET48) - checked the tires and the inside fender, no signs at all.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Instructor

My rear camber is set to maximum negative angle accepted.
I don't have rubbing issue, that's for sure (8x17 ET48) - checked the tires and the inside fender, no signs at all.

I have 2 kind of rattles (this can be heard randomly - from times to times):
- the first one is something like little squeaks - can be heard (sometimes) coming form the rear , low speed on uneven roads
- the second one can be heard (only sometimes) coming from rear-right side - it's like a big metallic boom noise , driving over big potholes (moderate speed)

I lift the car on elevator and looked under , no signs at all of any metallic scratches , shacked/hit the camber/toe arms, RSB and others ... nothing ... I can't reproduce the sound . Everything seems to be installed correctly, nothing loose .

I'm asking for second opinion , do you guys think that my ride is too low ? To low to have rattles ?

Quick Reply: Ingalls Camber kit rattle