Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an FYI - I had my local Goodyear shop order the tires. They said it could take up to 3 weeks to get them. They did match the shipped price of $154 that I found on discounttire.com and in addition I get $100 back from Goodyear (when charged on my Goodyear card) plus they are offering a $40 gift card for their shop and the gas station they own. And finally I get 5% off tires and 10% off service there with a reusable discount card I got from them years ago.

So bottom line: $616 - 5% = $585.20 - $140 = $445.20 or $111.30/tire

Now the question, do I put my old tires back on for a few weeks, or just run my snow tires until then?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep your snows on. No sense paying to get tires swapped for 3 weeks of use.

I'm getting my poles back on this Friday.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Patrick, what else did you look at? Any reason you didn't go with dedicated summer's?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dom
Patrick, what else did you look at? Any reason you didn't go with dedicated summer's?
At first I had my mind made up that I would get the F1 GS-D3's (the final push was when I read the comparison review in Car and Driver). Then I started leaning toward trying the Kumho Ecsta SPT since they were cheaper and I figured I'd be wearing them out quicker in either case. I was going to go with the 225/45-17 and then get the A-Spec suspension since I felt the smaller tires made the wheel gap much more apparent.

The more I thought about this, I realized a few things for my personal situation. First being the deeper snow I drive in, I didn't want the car any lower. Second, I was much more aware of all the potholes as the snow was melting. And finally, we learned we were going to have a baby coming this fall and I decided my focus would be a little less performance oriented.

That being said, I wanted a tire that was safe in all conditions. The more I looked at summer only tires I found they flat-spot when parked (I only drive a few miles to work and don't want to constantly feel that unbalanced feeling), they are not recommended for under 30deg F. (which I run into a lot in the morning in the fall and spring) and they wear out quicker because of the softer compound. Plus I think almost each year I ran into some kind of snow/slush while the snow tires were not on.

I had my eye on these since I learned they were available last year, but there were not many reviews. From comments here, I assumed they would be loud. I somewhat dismissed them and kept looking. I was pretty much comparing anything available in the correct size. I could rule out a few right away (OEM, etc...) but as I came back to these I read more positive reviews and started leaning toward them again.

After much debate (with myself) I decided these tires seemed to be the best to fill my needs. And the rebate helped seal the deal. My only concern is they may be too harsh/loud for my tastes and if that is the case, I'll have to take advantage of the 30 day trial and do more searching.

Here is a link to some tests I read which helped me decide. Plus I read through quite a lot of the reviews.

Sorry this is long... I guess I had a lot on my mind about it.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Keep your snows on. No sense paying to get tires swapped for 3 weeks of use.
I have dedicated wheels too and my shop swaps them for free as part of my lifetime free rotations.

Even with that as the case, I think I'll just wait. Those old tires are right at the wear marks and have about 50 - 60K miles on them.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GenXY2k
u'll love them !!! they do have much harder compound than the OEM which make the ride even more pumpy and road noise a bit higher, but the grip is worth it !!
No offense, and I may be mistaken, but since the stock tire for the TSX is classified as a Grand Touring A/S and the Goodyear F1 A/S is an Ultra High Performance A/S, wouldn't that make the Goodyear a softer tire than the stock one. Especially since these tires grip better and the stock tires didn't grip for shit. Softer tires grip better...hence why snow tires are such a soft compound. It seems to me that they would be more bumpy than stock because of the softer compound gripping more of the inconsistencies in the road.

Sorry to go off but it that just didn't seem right.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeneah
No offense, and I may be mistaken, but since the stock tire for the TSX is classified as a Grand Touring A/S and the Goodyear F1 A/S is an Ultra High Performance A/S, wouldn't that make the Goodyear a softer tire than the stock one. Especially since these tires grip better and the stock tires didn't grip for shit. Softer tires grip better...hence why snow tires are such a soft compound. It seems to me that they would be more bumpy than stock because of the softer compound gripping more of the inconsistencies in the road.

Sorry to go off but it that just didn't seem right.
The treadwear for the OEM tires is 300 and these are 420 so I would think they might be a slightly harder tire. But I would guess the carbon fiber reinforced sidewalls are probably what makes the difference.

I would though generally agree the softer the tire the better the grip. And the OEM's had terrible grip. Not sure what happend there.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I haven't posted on the forums in a while...

But I'm looking at replacing the OEM tires on my '06 TSX, and I came across this thread. The F1 A/S seemed to be the best choice according to tire rack, but I'm also seeing some good reviews on the Falken 512 and 912, and the Yoko's... I'm kinda torn. I normally go for the best performance for the lowest price, rather than price first, and the F1's would fit that bill, but I'm running a set of Dunlop Wintersport 3D for 3+ months out of the year here in Pittsburgh, so i'm thinking of going a bit cheaper for the Spring-Summer-Fall...

I've also read on some of the reviews around the more reputable tire sites that some people are getting -2-3mpg difference on some of these tires, including the F1's. Anyone here have any issues like that?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Ronin...if you're looking for a spring-fall tire, I would look at the Sumitomo HTR Z III. It's not the best summer tire but it's classified in the max perfomance summer class and I bought them for $93 bucks on tirerack..235/45/17. Compared to the others in that category, so far I'm happy..they grip so well. But do your research, I think tirerack.com is a great resource for picking something that will fit your needs/wants/driving style
Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

I had F1 A/S installed for about a week. Much better feel and comfort than the OEM. wet traction is excellent. Fuel consumption is too early to tell. only complaint is they are louder on dry surfaces. my installer had problem getting their balance right, so i am getting bad vibration at high speed. will try to get them balanced for the 3rd time tomorrow. hope they can do a high speed on car balance or get me a new set.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Advanced

My new tires are being installed right now. And we're expected to get a snow storm tonight. I'll get to try out the snow traction right away compared to my snow tires. Glad I choose the all seasons. I would hate to have to leave my snow tires on for 6 - 7 months.

I'll give a full review once I get a chance to try them out.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Race Director

I got the Goodyear Eagle HR ones and they're alright.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickB
My new tires are being installed right now. And we're expected to get a snow storm tonight. I'll get to try out the snow traction right away compared to my snow tires. Glad I choose the all seasons. I would hate to have to leave my snow tires on for 6 - 7 months.

I'll give a full review once I get a chance to try them out.
Use care with the new tires right out of the box, especially in snow (or rain). The release chemicals on/in the tread of the tire(s) will take up to 500 miles to wear off and they may be a little slippery while they break in.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mokos23
I got the Goodyear Eagle HR ones and they're alright.

Didn't you just buy Falkens?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
Didn't you just buy Falkens?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

by user name Monk302

Change your name back, this one sucks.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
by user name Monk302

Change your name back, this one sucks.

I didn't think you would catch on, but I'm the reincarnation of 04EuroAccordtsx. I have LuvMyTSX as my witness and was the one who helped me change my username. Just in case I ever sell my car I don't have 04Euro anywhere near my name.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Use care with the new tires right out of the box, especially in snow (or rain). The release chemicals on/in the tread of the tire(s) will take up to 500 miles to wear off and they may be a little slippery while they break in.
Thanks for the advice. It's rain/snowing right now. Although I have my snow wheels/tires in my car so i've been taking it easy anyway. I'll let the weather clear up and get some miles on them before a real test of handling.

btw... The Goodyear installer really scratched and gouged my wheels. I just spent 3 hours last night getting them all clean and noticed maybe one or two micro sized rock chips, but other than that, they were perfect. No curb rash at all. Now they look terrible. They'll probably end up replacing them, but what a pain. I'll post pics later.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickB
Thanks for the advice. It's rain/snowing right now. Although I have my snow wheels/tires in my car so I've been taking it easy anyway. I'll let the weather clear up and get some miles on them before a real test of handling.

btw... The Goodyear installer really scratched and gouged my wheels. I just spent 3 hours last night getting them all clean and noticed maybe one or two micro sized rock chips, but other than that, they were perfect. No curb rash at all. Now they look terrible. They'll probably end up replacing them, but what a pain. I'll post pics later.
I've mentioned this before, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has fallen mostly on deaf ears, but I will again suggest the Tire Rack Installer database. Among other things, it allows reviews of a user's experience/satisfaction. I have found a couple of places this way, and the tire shop I have been using for a few years now is a place that I never would have found on my own. And not just tires too; it lists all the services that the shop can/will provide (suspension, brakes, AC, coolant, etc)(and some with a price guarantee). Too bad about your wheel experience; I guess it's too late to rectify that, but you might want to try this route next time (assuming you're dissatisfied with your current options).
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I didn't think you would catch on, but I'm the reincarnation of 04EuroAccordtsx. I have LuvMyTSX as my witness and was the one who helped me change my username. Just in case I ever sell my car I don't have 04Euro anywhere near my name.

I know, thats why I'm telling you to change your name back.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Instructor

I m,ay look at the all season F1's for my wifes car since we don't do the summer/winter tire swaps on that. I however, do the summer/winter and just bought a set of the F1 GS-D3's. So far, very nice....
Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
I know, thats why I'm telling you to change your name back.
why do i want to change my name back?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

why do i want to change my name back?

Cause the one your using now sucks. Didn't you hear me the first time.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced

I recently put on the F1-eagles and i love them. rides well and i dont really notice the xtra road noice, maybe thats just me. lol
Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 AM
2nd Gear

G/Y F1 AS tires

I had switched from Michelins on my 89 Integra to Pirellis and liked them better..
Michelins were too noisy/rough//just not that great for price..

So on my TSX I had the same impression..

I had 47k on my OE Michelins on my 2005 TSX.

After researching quite a bit on line..

I just put on a set of Goodyuear F1 AS. 225/50-17s

So far..Great tire..much better ride and grip then OEs. and the size differential is
minimal except for the width which gives a better ride and better grip .
Ran thru a radar speed indicater at different speeds....
Used to be 25=24..30=29..40=39 with OEs..now 35=35.=40+40..45=45and all speeds seem more accurate...couldnt try higher due to Pleez car watching.

The tires look great also...
Will update..

Deano
Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 AM
2nd Gear

Mileage with F1 AS

Originally Posted by Ronin317
I haven't posted on the forums in a while...

But I'm looking at replacing the OEM tires on my '06 TSX, and I came across this thread. The F1 A/S seemed to be the best choice according to tire rack, but I'm also seeing some good reviews on the Falken 512 and 912, and the Yoko's... I'm kinda torn. I normally go for the best performance for the lowest price, rather than price first, and the F1's would fit that bill, but I'm running a set of Dunlop Wintersport 3D for 3+ months out of the year here in Pittsburgh, so i'm thinking of going a bit cheaper for the Spring-Summer-Fall...

I've also read on some of the reviews around the more reputable tire sites that some people are getting -2-3mpg difference on some of these tires, including the F1's. Anyone here have any issues like that?
This sounds really weird considering all the research I did before getting my tires.
If the same size tire is kept..there shouldnt be any difference.
BUT..the tires are so good, I have an idea a lot of these guys are more agressive with their driving and havent counted that in.

Also when I was researching F1s...I noticed a lot of guys went to smaller but wider tires..without realizing that this can mess up your speedo AND odo...and therefore give false indications on mileage...I kept same 17s..but went from 215s to 225s...so far...mileage hasnt shown any change..Actually on a trip down the coast...my mileage was better at cruising speeds of 75/80...and the F1s were a lot better at absorbing road surface changes without wandering as my Michelins did...
SO:
Truer tracking
Better ride
Quicker response
Better grip
AND
They look FANTASTIC

All in all..so far Im pretty impressed and happy with them.

Now Im a professional Photog of over 30 years.and Just closed my studio.

I was a track photog at Riverside CA for many years and traveled to many tracks across the USA and Canada..shooting for magazines ...I also rallied with a Lotus Cortina...So I do know a little about car performance and tires............just to let you know where Im coming from
Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

The sidewalls are very soft. The OEM Michelin tires handle much much better in dry conditions. I just had them changed out today with these Eagle F1s and I will be getting them taken right off tomorrow.

Remember, all I want is handling. If you don't do corners at 70mph, then these tires might be for you.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Still here

MY 2cents:
I recently had these put on because of an OEM side wall blow out at just under 70k miles. When they first put them on, they did feel a big more sluggish in the corners and my MPG went from 31 to 28, and I could not coast as far. But after a few weeks on them my mileage is back up to 31, the tires have yet to squeal in a corner or take off, and they are great in the corners. Traction has been great in the rain, can't wait to see how they handle the winter.

I did suffer a bit of sticker shock, but the rebate does help. Tire Barn did not have them in stock, but had them from a local warehouse before I got there. Very quick installation time.

- e_lecto