Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season?

Tried a search, but maybe I'm missing something... Has anyone here tried these tires? I believe they are new. I'll finally be replacing my stock tires in the spring when the snow tires come off and I ran across these which they have in our OEM size. I don't need an all-season tire since I have dedicated snow tires, but I wouldn't mind having them in case I run into some unexpected weather and it does get cold here before the snow flies. I have never been really happy with the stock tires, but I don't drive real hard.

Here is the link to the tire Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

I have them and I like them. They create a little more road noise than stock. The handling is much improved. One little bonus that I was unaware of when I bought them: there's a bevelled ridge along the tire by the rim that provides additional rim protection. I haven't seen that on other tires but I thought it was a great idea.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced

More road noise than stock has me worried since my stock tires are louder than my snow tires. Although if that the only bad part, I could live with it.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickB
Tried a search, but maybe I'm missing something... Has anyone here tried these tires? I believe they are new. I'll finally be replacing my stock tires in the spring when the snow tires come off and I ran across these which they have in our OEM size. I don't need an all-season tire since I have dedicated snow tires, but I wouldn't mind having them in case I run into some unexpected weather and it does get cold here before the snow flies. I have never been really happy with the stock tires, but I don't drive real hard.

Here is the link to the tire Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season

Thanks!
This is a high performance all season tire and if you don't need the the pros, there's probably no reason to tolerate the cons. I'm confident you could find a more approriate tire for your stated driving style ("I don't drive real hard") that would last longer, be quieter, and probably ride better (and still work better than the OE Michelins which shouldn't be too hard). And cheaper too.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Cruisin'

I based my tire choice on what I thought would provide my family the greatest safety. I figured that the performance tire would provide greater stopping power and responsiveness in an emergency situation.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Instructor

PatrickB...
I'm making the same decision too. I am looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS, or
the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position. Ive made a few calls to numerous tire companies and they say both of these tires are very similar in performance. The majority of them recommend the Bridgestones. They say the Goodyear's will have more road noise and better "Dry" grip, but the Bridgestones will be quieter and last longer (depending on driving style).

So as of now I'm leaning towards the Bridgestones, but input from anyone else with tire knowledge would be helpful.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Instructor

I'm using the f1s right now. I'm really liking them. They grip really well when it's wet. My complaint is that they're insanely expensive, but still not as expensive as others out there.

Maybe this might help a little. http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252
Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Superb0o
I'm using the f1s right now. I'm really liking them. They grip really well when it's wet. My complaint is that they're insanely expensive, but still not as expensive as others out there.

Maybe this might help a little. http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252
Those are the "regular" Goodyear F1s, the OP is talking about the new or at least relatively new F1 All Season.

These caught my eye too. Now I'm just waiting for the OEs to wear out do I can decide which ones to get.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the F1's and they were the best tires i've driven on. Tried Toyo Proxes4's and they didnt compare to the F1's.. after these are gone im going back to the F1's. Didn't know about the OP brand though..
Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 PM
9th Gear

just got these put on today. I'll let you know my impression of them later in the week.
I have only had my tsx since July and still getting use to it, I came from 5 years in a supercharged integra gsr.
I went with these tires partly because I liked the f1 gs/d3's I had on the teg, but needed a longer tread life and not as extreme performance(for better comfort) from all I have seen in writing so far hope these give me what I'm looking for. I don't drive the tsx like the integra for obvious reasons, but still like the idea of feeling the road in a tight turn. TSX is my first 4-door, got sick of the 2 car seats in the back of the integra for the kids lol.

oh and the price was $150ea at discount tire. 225/45/17 these had a longer tread rating than the other I was considering which was yoko s-drives.
I'm sure anything will be an improvement over the worn out oem stock tires that have 55k on them. If these grip 85% as good as the gs/d3's in dry, the same in wet and last around 40k miles I will be happy.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 PM
9th Gear

I've tried the following tires before, but not on the tsx.

kumho supra 711:
decent cheap tire on my old crx

yokohoma parada spec II:
loved them but 60% through lost grip and wore quickly about 15k on them maybe

toyo proxes 4:
read reviews ordered installed drove a week and maybe gave up to early but replaced with parada spec II's second set. the toyo's I felt like I was floating.

goodyear eagle f1 gs/d3:
finally tried a new tire after my second set of parada spec II's and loved them, good wear for a performance tire and very stickey wet and dry.

so really these are my first all season as well.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RaVeNChAoS
just got these put on today. I'll let you know my impression of them later in the week.
I have only had my tsx since July and still getting use to it, I came from 5 years in a supercharged integra gsr.
I went with these tires partly because I liked the f1 gs/d3's I had on the teg, but needed a longer tread life and not as extreme performance(for better comfort) from all I have seen in writing so far hope these give me what I'm looking for. I don't drive the tsx like the integra for obvious reasons, but still like the idea of feeling the road in a tight turn. TSX is my first 4-door, got sick of the 2 car seats in the back of the integra for the kids lol.

oh and the price was $150ea at discount tire. 225/45/17 these had a longer tread rating than the other I was considering which was yoko s-drives.
I'm sure anything will be an improvement over the worn out oem stock tires that have 55k on them. If these grip 85% as good as the gs/d3's in dry, the same in wet and last around 40k miles I will be happy.
Be interesting to hear what you think of the tires. A little shorter than OE and a little wide for a 7" wheel (assume you're using OE wheels), so you're not operating under ideal conditions, but like you say, almost anything is an improvement over the crappy Michelins and these certainly will be. And don't forget to break them in (500 easy miles).
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Be interesting to hear what you think of the tires. A little shorter than OE and a little wide for a 7" wheel (assume you're using OE wheels), so you're not operating under ideal conditions, but like you say, almost anything is an improvement over the crappy Michelins and these certainly will be. And don't forget to break them in (500 easy miles).
Okay after a week of driving on these here is what I think.
Keep in mind these are my first All Season, minus the proxes 4's for a week

Normal Driving, 0-60 up to 110 on the freeway excellent traction wise in dry I would give them a 9 reaction is crisp and very little play they go pretty much where you want them to take corners nicely. I would give handling a solid 8.5
Comfort hasn't changed much over stock tires, you can feel the road a bit more but it is not drastic and doesn't take away from the comfort level much at all. Comfort another 8.
Loudness, this has come up a little, it's more noticeable at high speeds but again not drastic and better than the worn down stock tires, but not as quiet as good tread on the stocks. I give this another 8
Wet traction i was actually pretty impressed here. Takes corners in the rain well. takes off well and I never lost grip gotta give it a 9 here. I tried to break it and didn't I didn't go full all out but a nice launch at 5k and sharp corners accelerating they did nicely.

Remarks: I like these tires they deliver all around in wet and dry while maintaining a nice comfort level without being that loud, they are fun to drive on and go where you want them to low speeds to fun high speed freeway action these are very well suited for many driving styles. They have the traction of a nice ultra performing summer tire and hopefully they will have the tread wear I expected 40-50k depending on driving style. Thus far I feel secure with these tires all around and I am happy with this decision. They are a bit pricey, but first impressions are they are a nice investment.

Total rating 8.5 and right behind my favorite summer tire.
Did I mention they look great as well.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
9th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Simba91102
oe wheels yes,I drive 60-100 miles a day. really got in to these over the last couple days.
idea conditions are for the birds lol
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 AM
9th Gear

btw forgot to add a couple of promotions I am sending in for on these.
First is $50 rebate from Discount tire
http://www.discounttire.com/GoodyearRebateNov07Form.pdf

second is $50 - $100 cash card from Good year
http://www.goodyeartires.com/x/web/g..._Internet_NPP5
Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Instructor

ravenchaos...
Nice write up on the tire. I like how the Goodyear's look too. My only concern is the loudness.
IT'S SO HARD CHOOSING TIRES!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by TWONZ
ravenchaos...
Nice write up on the tire. I like how the Goodyear's look too. My only concern is the loudness.
IT'S SO HARD CHOOSING TIRES!!!
I would say i am pretty impressed for an all season tire. As far as how loud they are I didn't think they are that bad, but keep in mind I'm not use to ultra quiet either.
We will see how these play out over time so far so good. Figuring out good tires is such a task. I really hate the trial and error. Back when I got the proxes 4's on the integra I really was hyped because of reviews I was like these have to be the best. Unless I got a bad batch or didn't wait long enough to break them in. I just wasn't happy with the ride, they felt "floaty" and unconnected to the road. Of course maybe this is how some people like it and it all goes down to personal opinions. For me I like to feel the road more of course i guess that's less luxury. At least on the proxes they took them back and let me get something else. They even had to special order them for me so I was surprised, of course TOYO had a thing that if you didn't like them bring them back within 30 days, and these Goodyear's have that same thing I believe.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM
5th Gear

I've had these tires on my TSX for about a month now and really like them. Compared to my stock tires that were falling apart (defect=discount on new tires) these goodyears are quieter. My friend has the eagle f1 gs/d3's and those are louder than the gy f1 a/s. I haven't really pushed the car too much, but they do handle much better than the stock ones. If noise is really your concern then I would going with a less performance tire. I have no regrets from these tires.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Instructor

just talked to a store manager from discount tires and he said the goodyear eagle f1 a/s handles better than the 960 pole which is what i originally wanted. i m around the chicago area so snow traction is a big issue for me. he said the eagle f1 handles better than the 960 pole in the snow. he also offered to order a set of eagle f1 a/s for me to try and if i dont' like it he'll swtich on the 960 pole free of charge. so i think i m gonna give it a try
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Instructor

GenXY2K...
Thats awesome that you get to try out the tire and decide which you like better. Keep me updated. Can you post pics on how the tires look on your car???
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TWONZ
GenXY2K...
Thats awesome that you get to try out the tire and decide which you like better. Keep me updated. Can you post pics on how the tires look on your car???
i will post picture as soon as he can find them. he said the f1 all seaon is on back order right now so i am hoping he can locate a set for me soon
Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Instructor

sounds good
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Instructor

car is in the shop getting the eagle F1 a/s put on !! can't wait !! too bad it's too icey out there to do some serious driving. maybe i'll find some snow to see how they handle in the snow/slush/ice ground. i'll keep you guys updated !!!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Did you get to try out the Bridgestones?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Instructor

^ no i just got the eagle put on. i know we are suppose to give the new tires break in period so i only took my car to a empty street and accelerated in 1st gear ( our OEM tire can't get a good grip when starting on 1st gear not to mention if it's wet surface ). my car had good traction for sure !! i'll post updates after i put some miles on them. i did feel more road noise though, not sure if it's because the tires are new. anyone know y ?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Instructor

My guess would be the GoodYears have a harder compound than the OEM's.
Due to the fact they are listed as a "High Performance Tire" a harder compound tire gives more road feel, more responsiveness, thus you hear more road noise.....
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Instructor

took the car out today and did 70 miles of highway driving and the car felt more stable with the eagle f1. i was doing 80+mph when i thought i was only doing 70+..... could it be the new tires ?? will new tires off set the speedometer accuracy?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Instructor

New tires always feel better than any old worn out set, OEM or not. So ya, your tires deff. give your car a new feel.
No. your new tires will not off set your speedometer as long as you got the same size tire as OEM.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Instructor

^ where u at chi-town? i am at naperville. west of chi-town. if u really want to check out these tires personally maybe we can meet up
Old 12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Advanced

I'm thinking of getting the F1's too. $145 at tirerack. Getting them soon.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Instructor

i have about 160 miles on them and i like them. a bit more bumpy ride though, since these are ultra perf. tires, they have harder compound than the OEMs.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Instructor

went out last night to friend's house for countdown and chicago areas were having a small winterstorm with 2-4" of snow. the car was very stable and handelled very well. these eagle F1 a/s did their job very well. i was able to drove on slush/plowed/unplowed/icey roads. but they still have their limits when i puched the car a bit harder.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Hey guys. So i'm pretty much have my mind set on buying these tires from tirerack for my 2005 TSX, but I have one question. I have the stock rims that came with the car, and the tires on the car now are 215/50/17. So my question is, is it possible to go to say a, 215/45/17, or like a 225/45/17 on the stock rims? I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject so basically is it possible to get wider and lower profile tires on the stock rims? or do you need new rims to do that? Any help would be great. I'm going to be buying these in the next couple days. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

You can get wider/lower profile (or visa versa) tires, but it has to be within the stock rim/tires spec. You can go for 225/45/17 no problem.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Not a Registered User

i'm running 225/45/17 on my stock '05 wheels for about year now
Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the answers guys. I decided on just going for the 215/50/17's. Good price on tirerack and I need them bad. Thanks! Can't wait to have some grip again.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Instructor

u'll love them !!! they do have much harder compound than the OEM which make the ride even more pumpy and road noise a bit higher, but the grip is worth it !!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Instructor

What tire pressure is everyone running these tires on? I just got a pair up front and so far so good. I believe discount tires recommend 35 front 32 rear on the receipt. It's a little bit rough on the bumps, should i decrease the tire pressure to 32 psi front?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 AM
5th Gear

32-front 30-rear it is written on the driver's door or doorjam.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Well, as the snow is melting here now, I need to get my new tires and I have decided to go ahead and give these a try. The more reviews I read, the more I am impressed and they seem to be working their way to the top of the survey results on tirerack where they are currently ranked #3. link

They do have a 30 day trial period which makes me feel better knowing I can swap them out if they do not live up to my expectations.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and I will write up a review once I get to test them out a bit.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season?