Forged Wheel Powdercoat concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forged Wheel Powdercoat concerns

Hey Everyone,

I've done a fair amount of research via acurazine, and have almost always come away with great information (which I'm very thankful for).

But for once, the search button has not been my friend. I"ve done extensive searches on google, honda-tech, and acurazine in regards to powdercoating forged aluminum wheels. I got a set of forged wheels that I started painting myself and I'm not very impressed with the results.

I've been thinking about just giving in and paying for a powdercoat, but I have a concern that I can't seem to find the answer for. I was told by the seller that Forged wheels can be damaged during the curing process because they were originally heat treated to strengthen the wheel. So basically, the powercoat curing process has to be uniquely set up for a forged wheel.

Does anyone have more information about this, i.e. actual oven temperatures?
Also, will any of the stripping /blasting procedures to bring it down to bare aluminum?

Last thing, any good places from personal experience in regards to powdercoating in the S.F. Bay Area?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Old 11-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im unsure if the TE37's by Volk are Forged or not. But I believe, my friend had a set powder coated from factory white to Gun metal with a Polished lip.

I believe the shop he used was somewhere in Sunnyvale, I dont think it was cheap tho, but when he got them back, I was very impressed. The Lip was Mirror quality and the coat was very "thick" looking. Its been 2 years since and they still look like new.

Ill get more info for you.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Hey, that'd be great. I just don't want to ruin my wheels by taking it to some place that doesn't know anything about forged rims.

Does anyone else have any knowledge in regards to the heat treatment that forged rims have done, and how not to ruin it?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Give these guys a call, they are the MASTERS of anything wheel refinishing/repairing:

http://www.wheelcollision.com/
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
contact http://www.carlabms.com (CarLab Motorsport), they can do custom wheel finish.. they sell expensive forged wheels and direct dealer of HRE, auto couture, asanti, DPE, etc..
btw, what wheels you have?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Intermediate

Wheel pictures

I got the forged work emotion wheels. I've started painting 2 of them myself, and they're actually turning out decent. However, I'm not completely satisfied with the finish so that's why I'm contemplating powdercoating them. Here's a few pictures. Maybe if I can get the other 2 to turn out better, i can do a DIY unless we already got one on the forum.

The one of the right is basically stripped down to it's bare aluminum and the one of the left is painted with dupli-color graphite wheel paint with a clear coat.

Not really sure what to do with the center caps since it's plastic...doesn't look too tacky does it?

-Steve