Blizzak WS70

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blizzak WS70

So this weekend I went and picked up a set of the new Blizzak WS70 winter tires in 205/60-16. Last fall I purchased a set of 16" 7-spoke wheels off of a 2005 Accord EX V6 for the winter setup. I was reluctant to go to 16" due to the HUGE decrease in handling performance but 16" for a winter setup is ideal in terms of cost and tire sizing. I bought a set of "A" center caps to replace the "H" from the factory wheels, just to round out the look. There hasn't been any snow yet in Boston so I don't know how they will work but every review I read was overwhelmingly positive. Here's how my winter setup looks:

What do you think?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:21 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
It should work out better with a skinnier tire like you have.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
not sure about that comment, as tire rack recommends this setup
Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kipsy
Ya, that seems to be the most popular package (it's what I run). But I went with a little more wheel (16x7, et45 versus I think 16x6.5 et50 or et55 for the Honda wheels). I'm on my 3rd winter and I'm quite confident that any perceived decrease in handling will be due to the snow tires not the change to a 16" wheel size. I run a fairly unknown/unsung snow tire (Semperit (Continental) Sportgrip, 205/60x16 92H). I'd say they behave more like an aggressive all season tire (though it is a true winter tire as it's branded with the snowflake). This tire continues to impress me with it's dry road handling characteristics (as well as it's ability in heavy rain) and it's good enough in the New England snow. So.... I don't think the move to 16" wheels alone will necessarily take a huge bite out of the car's handling. But.... using a fairly aggressive snow tire like the WS70..... that may be a different story.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM
registered pw

Originally Posted by kipsy
When you choose a snow tire size that is taller than wider, it will go though the snow better than a wider one.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Simba91102
So.... I don't think the move to 16" wheels alone will necessarily take a huge bite out of the car's handling. But.... using a fairly aggressive snow tire like the WS70..... that may be a different story.
Yeah, the combination of the aggressive winter tread and larger sidewall is surely to blame. The steering is quite "sloshy" and not anywhere near as responsive. Although, I was surprised that they are super quiet even at 80+MPH.

The car hasn't exhibited any understeer or hydroplaning in heavy rain. Although I'm not sure if it was due to a poor road surface but in an emergency stop scenario in heavy rain, ABS activated. Something I haven't ever seen with my summer setup. I attributed it to the fact that the tires aren't designed for extreme water expulsion and the fact that they only had about 25 miles on them (still greasy).

Coming from Minnesnowta, I have always been attracted to the aggressive winter tires. There is a huge difference in climates however. Winter here in the city means temps hovering around freezing and when it snows, it is melted next week. In Minnesota, the snow piles up and piles up with temperatures FAR below freezing. All side roads, neighborhoods, and country roads have a 3" snowpack on the surface. Thus, snow/ice traction is a serious concern. I guess here, a less aggressive tire would be well suited. It'll perform well during the few snow accumulations we get without detracting too much from the awesome handling of our cars. Since I plan on moving back to MN as soon as I finish my PhD, I guess the Blizzaks were still a good investment.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by huludicidal
Yeah, the combination of the aggressive winter tread and larger sidewall is surely to blame. The steering is quite "sloshy" and not anywhere near as responsive. Although, I was surprised that they are super quiet even at 80+MPH.

The car hasn't exhibited any understeer or hydroplaning in heavy rain. Although I'm not sure if it was due to a poor road surface but in an emergency stop scenario in heavy rain, ABS activated. Something I haven't ever seen with my summer setup. I attributed it to the fact that the tires aren't designed for extreme water expulsion and the fact that they only had about 25 miles on them (still greasy).

Coming from Minnesnowta, I have always been attracted to the aggressive winter tires. There is a huge difference in climates however. Winter here in the city means temps hovering around freezing and when it snows, it is melted next week. In Minnesota, the snow piles up and piles up with temperatures FAR below freezing. All side roads, neighborhoods, and country roads have a 3" snowpack on the surface. Thus, snow/ice traction is a serious concern. I guess here, a less aggressive tire would be well suited. It'll perform well during the few snow accumulations we get without detracting too much from the awesome handling of our cars. Since I plan on moving back to MN as soon as I finish my PhD, I guess the Blizzaks were still a good investment.
I've been winter tire fan for like.... well, forever. Even when we drove AWD Audi's, I ran winters. That said, my advice when choosing a snow tire has always been....... think about what you actually need and not buy any more or less capabilty than that. Snow tires are a real compromise around here (urban-suburban New England). As you've found, the need for an aggresive snow tire is rare. It's nice to have it when you do though. And many snow tires are not great in the rain, so a good performer on wet roads is a plus.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
registered pw

The pirellis that i put on aren't too bad either. cornering, forget it. I was taking a corner a little too fast, aka about the same speed on all seasons, and i had to get off the gas and let it correct itself.

I know how to drive on snows, but sometimes forget the deep tread.