Anyone riding on air?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
WoodgrainCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone riding on air?

Just got done with my 96 impala ss and starting to toy around with my 05 tsx. I have compressors and tanks, just looking for info on others suspensions. Tryin to find best possible set up, and looking for any input others may have. I'm more familiar with putting air bags on RWD chevy's, not to up to date with the fwd honda's/acrua's. Aig bags, or air struts? Whats the big difference? Which would be best for a ride quality and durability? Any input welcome, just don't be negative.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Modding newbie

I would suggest against both, for ride quality and durability. Unless you like a floaty, bouncy ride. It's the last thing I would look for, but to each his own.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Guess you mean air runners? I know/seen someone who did it locally. Nice for show cars but I wouldn't put it on our car if it's a DD. His car could go slammed but driving around and everything didn't seem too practical.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
WoodgrainCLS

yea its not for daily driving, I gotta few cars, so once our shop finishes with one we'll just start on another. TSX used to be my daily driver, now it'll just pile up in the trailer with the impala. Not really looking to lay it out, have 20x7.5 wheels with 30 series tire, with body kit, looking to just tuck the top of the wheels. This will be the first acura we attempt, bring us a pickup and we'll get it on the ground lol. I've seen a bunch of kits that have air struts, but I can't find just the air struts without buying the whole kit. We just want to do it right the first time, it's one thing to do it, it's another to do it right.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
WoodgrainCLS

when we bagged my impala we found pretty much a bolt on kit, required some mod, but nothing serious, what I'm getting at is does anyone know if air ride or another company make a similar kit without buying the whole kit consisting of tanks, compressors, etc.

Last edited by WoodgrainCLS; 03-22-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I would suggest against both, for ride quality and durability. Unless you like a floaty, bouncy ride. It's the last thing I would look for, but to each his own.
You can get fantastic ride quality if you have shocks tuned correctly... really you need an active system though if you plan on changing ride heights.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
WoodgrainCLS

Air Ride Technology makes an air over shock Shockwave application for the TSX. I know its not most of ya'lls thing, but will be posting pics of the instal and build as soon as it comes along. Thanks to those who replied with their input.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 AM
6th Gear

I'm just coping this from another post I just made and it fits kinda for your question.and it's funny because the last car i had air on was a 94 impala laid with a full custom backhalf frame. if you know trucks well it shouldn't be difficult to use the universal sleeve bags on the tsx struts and wire it up like you're used to. the other info is for ayone else that might want to know what it takes to lay a TSX on air.Ok here's the deal I have been a minitruck/ custom enthusiast for around 18 years now. Member of one of the top custom auto clubs in the world (Relaxed Atmosphere) I've dealt quite intimately with air and hydraulic suspension setups for 2 decades now including air suspensions on imports in cold climates. I will address your concerns to the best of my ability. resale... keep your stock components to swap back and you will lose no resale of your TSX. body or frame flex.. i have never seen any air suspension bend or flex any part of any car if it has been installed correctly. considering you are using struts on stock suspension mounting points with a pressure averaging 100psi or less.sleeve bags or cylinders.... dont use cylinders, their teflon seals shrink in the cold months and lose air quickly through leaks. only use sleeve bags that slide over your strut tubes. the most popular ones are made by a company named "universal air".the valves(several brands of electric or manual), compressors (air zenith and viair)and airline are usually chosen by preference and usually work equally well. try to purge the airtank of excess moisture in autumn and keep some airbrake deicer made for bigrigs and sold at truckstops.I'm in maryland and it's never froze up once after that small amount of preventative maintainance.the ride.... the ride is usually a compromise between the harshness of race coilovers and stock marshmellow suspension. on an 8 valve system the corners are isolated and don't have crossflow of air like in a 4 valve system so there is no sway and can corner great. spend the money on the proper amount of componentsand it will last a good long time. the upkeep... i would suggest if you intend on driving it as a daily, install the components yourself and become comfortable with what each component does. it's not rocket science and most problems are fairly straightforward and logical, however with anything custom there is a learning curve.camber issues... tire wear can be minimized by getting aligned at a certain psi for a set ride height. just make sure the toe is good and you should have no severe wear.I don't have air on my TSX as of yet but only because I got it 2 months ago.But it's probably in my car's future because I'm addicted to dragging shit on the ground. All i need is 4 sleeve bags because i have all the other components laying around my house. can't wait to drag this thing down the road.if you need any other info hit me up... relaxed240@hotmail.com
Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 AM
6th Gear

Another thing I want to address is the complaints because it is one of my peeves. If you're not into customizing and would prefer to keep your car in showroom condition with a couple ricey bolt-ons thats fine but don't debate the validity of someone else's want to do something different from the rest of the flock. Alot of times people are scared to take that step because of lack of knowlege or support. I understand the fear of the unknown, however this is what makes our hobby flourish and grow. It's the biggest complement in the world to have a family standing around the car when you walk out of a store, gawking at your work and the kid turns to his dad and says "i want to build one just like that." Chances are you just jump-started someone who may share your hobby someday.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:46 AM
6th Gear

https://www.universalairsuspension.c...48a6ca62dthose are the sleeve bags I recommend for a strut application. You can use them on stock struts but if you want to lay I would suggest using coilover bodies that have threaded mounting points so they can be shorter than stock length.