Any Ideas? Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Ideas? Suggestions?

Now I'm running 18 x 8 and Koni yellow Eibech Pro kit combo. I'm tired of hush and noisy ride and frightening my passengers So I'm going to change the size of the wheels to 17's to make my ride more comfortable. How you guys think? You guys think smaller wheel size will reduce noise and give better ride like stock? or it's not worth changing? Please help me out guys Thanks~
Old 11-26-2006, 05:46 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Choice of tyres could be responsible for the noise aspect.
You may also want to add some noise suppression to the coils - forget the exact terminology but it's nothing more than rubber wrapped around a few inches of each coil.
As for harshness - not hush! - well, that's down to the rebound and compression rates Koni used. A better shock with dampening adjustments would've allowed you to dial the ride to how you prefer.
The change to 17's will do very little to help, but is an option nonetheless.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Racer

Thanks PJS. Sigh...I think there is no way except changing whole suspension system of my car then. It costs almost 400$ just changing them, though
Old 11-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

huh? your koni yellows are adjustable. the noise is probably from your tires, what do you currently have? i wouldn't mess with your suspension yet
Old 11-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Racer

I have set of Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on mine and I think it shouldn't be a problem and half turn for Konis. I'm telling ya it's really annoying, especially, when I hit the pot holes on the road. It doesn't happen everyday but if it happens, it makes me think seriously about the ride quality of my car.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:07 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

As I pointed out above, the only adjustment the Koni's have are ride height. The harshness is down to the rates at which the shocks compress and rebound, coupled with the spring rates.
Some of the noise can be ameliorated by the coil wrapping, but the harshness will always remain.
It's precisely this reason I'm loathe to change suspension until the funds permit me to do it properly rather than half-arsed.
You spent $400, you really needed to spend $800-1000.
So you'll have to put up with it while you save the money or borrow it now, and sell the Koni, etc in the Black Market here or on ebay.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by CrazyCool[O]
I have set of Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on mine and I think it shouldn't be a problem and half turn for Konis. I'm telling ya it's really annoying, especially, when I hit the pot holes on the road. It doesn't happen everyday but if it happens, it makes me think seriously about the ride quality of my car.
I have PZero Nero's 225/40/18 and don't find them that harsh, but w/ my Tein Flex maybe I'm used to more harshness. You could swap your Koni's for A-Specs, I'm sure the NOVA people would give you a hand in swapping them
Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by PJS
As I pointed out above, the only adjustment the Koni's have are ride height. The harshness is down to the rates at which the shocks compress and rebound, coupled with the spring rates.
you're on a roll for bad information, Konis only have dampening adjustment, and only minimum ride height adjustment. They have dampening adjust from the factory, reference this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=koni+turn
Old 11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Racer

Thanks guys I think I decided what to do. First I'm going to try 17's and if I feel it is really not enough, then I'm going with changing the suspension system to A-spec cuz I have to have 17's with A-spec suspention, anyway, not to make my car 4 x 4. I'll post some pics and difference of ride quality later on guys
Ahh...I still think the drop and wheel size are perfect match, though
Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

You do realise A-Spec suspension will only drop around 20mm max. Hardly removes the 4x4 look.
At least with the 18's the illusion to the eyes is that it fills the arch more, even if it doesn't actually.
Try adjusting the damping of the Koni's, and see if you can get some of the silicon wire wrap and use on the compressed section of the springs.
Hopefully a combination of those two will help settle your nerves, and save you a bundle of money into the bargain.

Xizor - thanks for pointing out the link - all references I'd seen for the Koni's online at various vendors failed to mention anything about damping adjustment. Thought they were like a few of the other branded shocks with a preset damping level, like Tein/Tanabe.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Hyung, get good coilovers, like Tanabes =)
Old 11-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PJS
You do realise A-Spec suspension will only drop around 20mm max. Hardly removes the 4x4 look.
At least with the 18's the illusion to the eyes is that it fills the arch more, even if it doesn't actually.
Try adjusting the damping of the Koni's, and see if you can get some of the silicon wire wrap and use on the compressed section of the springs.
Hopefully a combination of those two will help settle your nerves, and save you a bundle of money into the bargain.

Xizor - thanks for pointing out the link - all references I'd seen for the Koni's online at various vendors failed to mention anything about damping adjustment. Thought they were like a few of the other branded shocks with a preset damping level, like Tein/Tanabe.
I'm not sure I can do this "silicon wire wrap and use on the compressed section of the springs" and if that work is related to removing the springs from the Konis then I can't put the springs back on the Konis cuz I don't have tools to do. I asked about changing the springs before at my local body shop and they told me if I don't have spring compressor, I can't change springs on my car by myself and that's why they charge 400$ for just changing springs even though it's just 2 hours job. In addition, Acura service charges around 500$ for this job cuz of that compressor:surrender So far that's what I know. PJS please correct me if I'm worng
Old 11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Team Owner

Next time, come to one of the install meets we have around. We had one a few months back, had lots of tools, and smart, experienced people such as Xizor. A member on here had his Tein SS Coilovers installed and another had his Comptech RSB swapped in. As for me, well lets just say I have a few things to install myself soon. Maybe have a install meet soon again?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Hyung, get good coilovers, like Tanabes =)
Oh Dongsang, are you sure Tanabes don't do "Hella-Booming" when it goes through pot holes on the road? I read all the review about them and nobody mentioned about going through pot holes

and Yeah. Install meet should be really helpful! Is really cold outside, though I can be one of them if someone want to. Count me in
Old 11-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Well, we should get a install meet together, before the snow hits, and invite all the locals. I have Tanabe Sustec Pro-II whatever they are, and DC_TSX has them too. He has them installed on his NBP TSX, and it looks mad hot. Perhaps he could give you a ride. Mine's not going on for a while, or perhaps I might have them for sale soon. You got AIM or MSN hyung?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire sidewalls act like springs, and some are stiffer than others. I've had my 205/60-16 snows on for a week now, and they definately give a more comfortable ride (but there are many other tradeoffs).

I found Toyo Proxes 4's (195/50-16, a short sidewall) really changed the attitude of my Mazda Protege. Driving over train tracks and driveway curbs was like they weren't there, but with them there seemed to be more weight transfer issues, when braking/cornering/accelerating and grip (in the wet and dry) was poor; I returned them after two weeks. Check tirerack.com for different tires' rated ride comfort.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
Tire sidewalls act like springs, and some are stiffer than others. I've had my 205/60-16 snows on for a week now, and they definately give a more comfortable ride (but there are many other tradeoffs).

I found Toyo Proxes 4's (195/50-16, a short sidewall) really changed the attitude of my Mazda Protege. Driving over train tracks and driveway curbs was like they weren't there, but with them there seemed to be more weight transfer issues, when braking/cornering/accelerating and grip (in the wet and dry) was poor; I returned them after two weeks. Check tirerack.com for different tires' rated ride comfort.
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S is rated at second place among all season ultra performance tires so I guess that might not be a problem. I don't think the side wall can change my car's ride quality that much like yours because my tires are much thiner.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Racer

Well, we should get a install meet together, before the snow hits, and invite all the locals. I have Tanabe Sustec Pro-II whatever they are, and DC_TSX has them too. He has them installed on his NBP TSX, and it looks mad hot. Perhaps he could give you a ride. Mine's not going on for a while, or perhaps I might have them for sale soon. You got AIM or MSN hyung?
Sure I have it. I sent PM with mine.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S is rated at second place among all season ultra performance tires so I guess that might not be a problem. I don't think the side wall can change my car's ride quality that much like yours because my tires are much thiner.
you setup sounds like everything is good, maybe you blew one of the koni shocks?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

I think that might be the problem. I remember Zasker had the same problem, replaced it and was worry free.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xizor
you setup sounds like everything is good, maybe you blew one of the koni shocks?
Oh I don't think so. I think it is very normal for this setup. Everybody says like that too. Nothing has changed. It's just the same feeling when I mounted this suspension first time. But two years man...I'm tired of this little bit.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Racer

I think that might be the problem. I remember Zasker had the same problem, replaced it and was worry free.
Oh really? I think I should send him a PM to get some help. I like huge wing on his truck BTW
Old 11-27-2006, 09:59 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Part of your issue is that Eibachs have a progressive design, while Koni shocks are optimized for linear springs. Since progressive springs increase in spring rate as they compress, a damper would have to "dampen" correspondingly. Most shocks aren't built for that... As others have mentioned, your best bet is to go with a full coilover setup where the springs and dampers are matched together. If ride comfort is priority, the Tanabes are your best aftermarket solution. You could also try switching out to Comptech 110-155 springs, which are linear in design... they were originally marketed for the TSX, but many users complained that they didn't drop the car enough. The 110-160 Comptech springs that are currently marketed for the TSX are repackaged/relabeled Eibach Prokits...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:11 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
selling your rims hyung?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

I think I may be selling my Tanabes. Let me know if you have any interest hyung.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
selling your rims hyung?
Haha just get a new set Since my rims are too old to sell and have bunch of damages, I think I'll throw those out somewhere out there later when I get a new set of Weds haha. I donno when it's going to be, thouh
Old 11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Racer

I think I may be selling my Tanabes. Let me know if you have any interest hyung.
For real? Why? going back to stock or getting Air Runner
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Part of your issue is that Eibachs have a progressive design, while Koni shocks are optimized for linear springs. Since progressive springs increase in spring rate as they compress, a damper would have to "dampen" correspondingly. Most shocks aren't built for that... As others have mentioned, your best bet is to go with a full coilover setup where the springs and dampers are matched together. If ride comfort is priority, the Tanabes are your best aftermarket solution. You could also try switching out to Comptech 110-155 springs, which are linear in design... they were originally marketed for the TSX, but many users complained that they didn't drop the car enough. The 110-160 Comptech springs that are currently marketed for the TSX are repackaged/relabeled Eibach Prokits...
Yeah that's why I just wanted to change springs before but the labor+300$ I was shocked! and I went right back to my house.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

For 300 bucks + labor, you'd probably have a better time just getting my coilovers and having a few friends around here help you put them in.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Racer

For 300 bucks + labor, you'd probably have a better time just getting my coilovers and having a few friends around here help you put them in.
Yeah. I hope so. I'm getting them.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:24 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PJS
Again, you're on a roll of bad information. You're generalizing the brands TEIN and Tanabe. TEIN and Tanabe (like Koni) have preset dampening shocks as well as adjustable dampening shocks.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:40 PM
mmmmmm....

Haha just get a new set Since my rims are too old to sell and have bunch of damages, I think I'll throw those out somewhere out there later when I get a new set of Weds haha. I donno when it's going to be, thouh
what what?!!!! throw them away? you crazy... I will take them. I will use it for winter season or something.. hyung, you are out of your mind.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Racer

Haha I was just kidding I'll let you know when I change my rims later but don't wait. Since, I decided to change the suspension system to Tanabes this time, those rims will be on my car for a while. I decided not to thorw out anything after I threw out all stock rims and suspension I thought nobody was going to buy them, though
Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Yeah, you can forget it hyung, I'm taking those rims off your hands. =)
Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vwong
Again, you're on a roll of bad information. You're generalizing the brands TEIN and Tanabe. TEIN and Tanabe (like Koni) have preset dampening shocks as well as adjustable dampening shocks.

Yeah I know! I just couldn't be bothered to expand on the specific version of each which are preset and aren't.
As you'd see from looking, those brands' $800 ish set-ups are preset only. If you want to spend almost as half as much again, then there's a whole raft of choice.

Happy now? Or would you like another snipe?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 PM
mmmmmm....

Yeah, you can forget it hyung, I'm taking those rims off your hands. =)
lil rat!!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
mmmmmm....

Haha I was just kidding I'll let you know when I change my rims later but don't wait. Since, I decided to change the suspension system to Tanabes this time, those rims will be on my car for a while. I decided not to thorw out anything after I threw out all stock rims and suspension I thought nobody was going to buy them, though
bad move hyung....you should kept it for winter time or something. babo!! jk.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Racer

Yeah. It was two years ago and I didn't know about the ebay either So don't blame me that much
Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 AM
mmmmmm....

Yeah. It was two years ago and I didn't know about the ebay either So don't blame me that much
where you from?? no internet world?? hahaha j/p hyung. Its all good.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
where you from?? no internet world?? hahaha j/p hyung. Its all good.

Well he couldn't sell it on Starcraft ._.;

Quick Reply: Any Ideas? Suggestions?