Advice on tire/wheel package.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on tire/wheel package.....

Okay, trying to get it right this time, I'm sticking with the 17" size wheels, but I'd like to get lighter ones, I've researched this forum to death, and still have a couple of questions for any of the tire/wheel savy folks......

1) Are the ultra light wheels like the SSR Comp. and the Kosei K1 TS silver (both weigh in at around 14.x pounds) generally weaker than the stock rims on the TSX? (a pot hole took out one of my stock rims, and looks like it damaged the tire to boot, so this is of some concern....)

2) Officially, the fitment guides all say that I *CAN'T* use a P225/45-17 tire on the TSX (it's 1/2 inch shorter in over all height, <1/2 inch smaller circumference, and about .4 inches wider), but I've seen several folks mention using that size with no problem. (That size is the closest that the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S comes to the TSX stock size), my Acura service shop was no help at all, the Tirerack rep claimed that the TSX didn't have enough fender clearance to accomodate.... where can I get a no sh** answer?

2a) If I can use the P225 45-17, should I use a 7.5 or even 8 " wide rim?

BTW, looking at two setups:
Dream setup: SSR Comp. Silver 17x8 with P225/45-17 Pirelli PZero-Nero M&S ~$2050 from Tirerack

Setup that I know works: Kosei K1 TS silver 17x7 with Kumho Ecsta ASX P215/50-17 ~$1268 from Tirerack.
Both are light, I like the looks of the SSR's better (no surprise, eh ), but I'm in a debate if they are $640 better looking.....

THANKS!!! For anyone's

GPSIIR
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Go for you dream. Those would be sweet. 235/45/17's would be a better size though.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A little OT, but for next year I'll be looking for a set of 2 OEM wheels I'll send to a wheel shop to get them turned, and hopefully be able to take away about a third of it's weight, especially towards the outside diameter, but it's going to be a weight loss regime in general on these rims.

Note that I'll be using them for drag races only, so I won't be worrying too much about the increased fragility of those rims as I'll be swapping them directly at the tracks.

It should normally help me better my times more than with I/H/E altogether. I just hope I can find nice slicks to fit these...
Old 08-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsiir
Okay, trying to get it right this time, I'm sticking with the 17" size wheels, but I'd like to get lighter ones, I've researched this forum to death, and still have a couple of questions for any of the tire/wheel savy folks......

1) Are the ultra light wheels like the SSR Comp. and the Kosei K1 TS silver (both weigh in at around 14.x pounds) generally weaker than the stock rims on the TSX? (a pot hole took out one of my stock rims, and looks like it damaged the tire to boot, so this is of some concern....)

2) Officially, the fitment guides all say that I *CAN'T* use a P225/45-17 tire on the TSX (it's 1/2 inch shorter in over all height, <1/2 inch smaller circumference, and about .4 inches wider), but I've seen several folks mention using that size with no problem. (That size is the closest that the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S comes to the TSX stock size), my Acura service shop was no help at all, the Tirerack rep claimed that the TSX didn't have enough fender clearance to accomodate.... where can I get a no sh** answer?

2a) If I can use the P225 45-17, should I use a 7.5 or even 8 " wide rim?

BTW, looking at two setups:
Dream setup: SSR Comp. Silver 17x8 with P225/45-17 Pirelli PZero-Nero M&S ~$2050 from Tirerack

Setup that I know works: Kosei K1 TS silver 17x7 with Kumho Ecsta ASX P215/50-17 ~$1268 from Tirerack.
Both are light, I like the looks of the SSR's better (no surprise, eh ), but I'm in a debate if they are $640 better looking.....

THANKS!!! For anyone's

GPSIIR
Sounds like a good plan. I have 18x7.5 SSR Comps and haven't haven't bent them yet, though I avoid potholes like the plague. I would definately go for 7.5, but 8 will work too. And 235/45/17 would be a nearly perfect fit, combine that w/ the 8in wide rim and you'd be set.