Petition to STOP all this NASCAR footage on Speed Channel

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vwong
Call me crazy, the only thing I like to see in NASCRAP is the spectacular crashes.
Same here. Although, you don't need NASCAR to get those NASCAR-worthy crashes: http://media.putfile.com/Speed-GT-Start-Mosport-2005
Old 01-27-2006, 09:56 AM
PI = C/d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I signed the petition #10,288 even though I know very well it will do NOTHING.

I did a trackday (motorcycle) at Barber Motorsports park in AL and I met Brian Drebber (from speedtv) there. The first thing I asked him was "how can we get rid of all of the NASCRAP on speedtv and get more coverage of more intelligent forms of racing? ie: Motogp, F1, DTM, AMA, BSB, qualifying coverage, practice, etc..."

His response to this was "I'm sure you know that NASCAR owns speedtv, and that most intelligent viewers of said forms of motorsport own a TiVO and will just tape thier favorite form of motorsport"

Drebber is a huge motorcycle fan (he actually participated in the track day), and other forms of motorsport I'm sure, so you would think HE would have some sort of say as to what the public wants to see, but from the way his answer was very quick it would seem like he (and probably speedtv) gets this question all the time.

Again, I signed the petition with hands pressed and a silent prayer, but I feel like we are all just spinning our wheels... whats 10,000.....100,000 viewers of other forms of motorsport as oppesed to millions of drunk, trailer park, ...etc well you get the idea. I will NEVER see what is so exiting about a bunch of guys going around an oval but I've also never been to a live event.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
27_
Intermediate

# 12486
Old 01-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I am all for the petition. I would DEFINATELY like to see LESS Nascar,..........and more racing such as: WRC, Dakar Rally, SCCA, ALMS, DTM, motoGP, F1 etc.

WERD Sauceman,....MORE DAKAR COVERAGE.

Did anyone watch the Rolex 24 at Daytona (rolex sports car series - Daytona prototypes and GT cars)???? I wish there was more coverage of this race. It was great to watch what was on though. All kinds of big names in the race and great racing for sure.

Link to another thread where a few ppl started talking about the race.
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/anyone-watching-speed-channel-330503/
Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just as an adder, a guy in Kentucky has a lawsuit against Nascar b/c they only use tracks they own to race the cars on, so he has a suit that they are breaking monopoly rules since his Kentucky Speedway is a PERFECT track to race the cars on, but they won't.

So far, he has won two cases, one to move the suit to Florida (I believe), the home of Nascar and another case to have the case thrown out.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by West6MT
I am all for the petition. I would DEFINATELY like to see LESS Nascar,..........and more racing such as: WRC, Dakar Rally, SCCA, ALMS, DTM, motoGP, F1 etc.

Did anyone watch the Rolex 24 at Daytona (rolex sports car series - Daytona prototypes and GT cars)???? I wish there was more coverage of this race. It was great to watch what was on though. All kinds of big names in the race and great racing for sure.

Link to another thread where a few ppl started talking about the race.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330503
Yeah I watched it a little. I don't really like the idea of the Daytona prototypes though, because it kinda runs away from the road car (we can relate to) endurance format. I also find the Rolex series is sort of worst than ALMS or FIA GT in that they have even less variety across the grid. But that's just a personal taste: I just find it so interesting to be able to see such a wide variety of cars in technical specs, solutions and even performance racing together on the same track. In that way, I think the Rolex series suck, with the same chassis and engine imposed for the protos.

I am absolutely anticipating the show in the Le Mans family on the other hand, with Porsche back in P2 (much better competition), Audi back with their brand new R10(with an outrageous V12TDi - 650hp and incalculable loads of torque), but also to see my beloved C6R and the GT2 field playing catch-up behind them.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Instructor

AGREE

I'm seriously looking forward to ALMS this year. Don't know if you saw, but the new Audi beat last year's pole time at Sebring in testing last week...

If they get that gearbox to last a whole race with all that torque that new car is going to be insane. And PTG is back in GT2! Something more than Porsche this year.

I can't wait.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
I'm a little late in coming to this thread but,

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
This isn't about NASCAR against F1; this is about NASCAR having way too much air time that it's crowding out great racing like the WRC, World Challenge, ALMS, etc. I don't particularly care for F1 these days since they've made it into a joke.

I signed the petition!!! They DEFINITELY need to expand the programming beyond its current NASCAR-TV format.

I want to see WRC, JGTC, Aussie V8 Supercars (although it's basically NASCAR Aussie style) and BTCC with MUCH more broadcast frequency.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by West6MT
I dont see how Dakar or the Baja 1000 is more exciting then Nascar. That's just silly. They dont even race each other...Even WRC...While its pretty damn cool to see these cars ripping through mountian trails or dirt roads, they still dont "race" each other...
Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Canuck

Anyone seen that special wher they put Montoya in a nascar and jeff gordon in a F1 car?

Man, Montoya just totally disses the Nascar saying it's slow and sucks on turns.

Nascar does suck...I always wondered why Americans find it so fascinating???
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by narci
Anyone seen that special wher they put Montoya in a nascar and jeff gordon in a F1 car?

Man, Montoya just totally disses the Nascar saying it's slow and sucks on turns.

Didn't you hear Schumacher diss Cart/Indy a few years back too. Snob comment, but true.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by joerockt
I dont see how Dakar or the Baja 1000 is more exciting then Nascar. That's just silly. They dont even race each other...Even WRC...While its pretty damn cool to see these cars ripping through mountian trails or dirt roads, they still dont "race" each other...
I personally don't call racing a stop watch racing either... it is just professional driving. I say put a whole bunch of WRC's on the same course and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Just dial 1911

Yea, and then Gordon showed him his paycheck

Its just a different type of racing, and really next to drag racing, its the orginal. Most people who watch it today grew up with their dad's and granddads watching it, so their are many generations of fans out there. And people like the drama as well between the drivers. They want to see whats going to happen next. And yeah, the wrecks are part of it, just like fighting is part of hockey.

Personally, I like all sorts of motorsports from sportbikes to stadium trucks. Nascar is just a pure form of racing with a bit of fanfare, thats all...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by moda_way
I personally don't call racing a stop watch racing either... it is just professional driving. I say put a whole bunch of WRC's on the same course and see what happens.
Now THAT would be intresting.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Drifting

rally/f1 > tyco slot car > nascar

speed channel used to be so much better.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Yea, and then Gordon showed him his paycheck

Its just a different type of racing, and really next to drag racing, its the orginal. Most people who watch it today grew up with their dad's and granddads watching it, so their are many generations of fans out there. And people like the drama as well between the drivers. They want to see whats going to happen next. And yeah, the wrecks are part of it, just like fighting is part of hockey.

Personally, I like all sorts of motorsports from sportbikes to stadium trucks. Nascar is just a pure form of racing with a bit of fanfare, thats all...
Gordon's paycheck compares favorably to Montoya's I'm sure, but compare Gordon's to the top F1 earners (as Gordon is the top Nascar earner) and it's - shall we say - pedestrian. In '05 Schumacher made $60 million, Rossi made $28 million and Gordon made $23.4 million. Those would be the 3 highest paid racers in the world I guess. Dale Jr. doesn't have the same ownership stakes that Gordon has so doesn't make as much $.

And I guess you could say Nascar-type racing is the original - with no credit due Nascar. Oval racing was around LONG LONG before Nascar. What was Nascar's first championship - 1949? That's basically when all modern racing got going post-WWII. 1950 was the first F1 championship.

The thing I have a problem with (among many) is that Nascar for all it's pomp and bluster and yee-haws is SPEC RACING. I can see that every damn day at SCCA events all over the country. Hell I get that with all the junior FIA Formula also. I like CARS and racing NOT wrestling personalities in a cookie cutter shell. I get that that keeps costs down and money and teams flowing into the sport, but it doesn't change the fact that the Chevy's and the Ford's and soon the Toyota's are the same car with different decals on them.

I love that the Audi at LeMans this year will be a DIESEL and may well smoke (pun intended) the field. I love that the Corvette's dominance in ALMS hasn't driven competition away, it's made more teams want to come in and develop and innovate and beat them. I love that the greatest engine builders in the world get to do whatever they want to squeeze a hundred RPMs out of a tiny little sewing machine to develop close to 800hp. That's an engine barely displacing more than a plastic Coke bottle!

*shrug*

To each his own...
Old 02-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Kighter
And I guess you could say Nascar-type racing is the original - with no credit due Nascar. Oval racing was around LONG LONG before Nascar. What was Nascar's first championship - 1949? That's basically when all modern racing got going post-WWII. 1950 was the first F1 championship.
Actually, F1 got going long before Nascar...In Europe...The other poster asked why Nascar was so popular in America, and I gave him my opinion.

And yes, oval racing was around before Nascar here in the US, but it was these older organizations (such as the NSCRA and NCSCC) that joined to form Nascar. So its rooted pretty deeply in American racing...
Old 02-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
#17100 here.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kighter
Gordon's paycheck compares favorably to Montoya's I'm sure, but compare Gordon's to the top F1 earners (as Gordon is the top Nascar earner) and it's - shall we say - pedestrian. In '05 Schumacher made $60 million, Rossi made $28 million and Gordon made $23.4 million. Those would be the 3 highest paid racers in the world I guess. Dale Jr. doesn't have the same ownership stakes that Gordon has so doesn't make as much $.

The thing I have a problem with (among many) is that Nascar for all it's pomp and bluster and yee-haws is SPEC RACING. I can see that every damn day at SCCA events all over the country. Hell I get that with all the junior FIA Formula also. I like CARS and racing NOT wrestling personalities in a cookie cutter shell. I get that that keeps costs down and money and teams flowing into the sport, but it doesn't change the fact that the Chevy's and the Ford's and soon the Toyota's are the same car with different decals on them.

I love that the Audi at LeMans this year will be a DIESEL and may well smoke (pun intended) the field. I love that the Corvette's dominance in ALMS hasn't driven competition away, it's made more teams want to come in and develop and innovate and beat them. I love that the greatest engine builders in the world get to do whatever they want to squeeze a hundred RPMs out of a tiny little sewing machine to develop close to 800hp. That's an engine barely displacing more than a plastic Coke bottle!

*shrug*

To each his own...

Thank you. Especially regarding the salary of Michael Schumacher versus Jeff Gordon .

As for those who 'knock' WRC, try running at 100mph+ thorough wet, forest terrain (read: gravel, dirt, leaves, etc,..) on the side of a mountain where the thought of blinking could result in nailing a tree or going off a cliff. I cant think of a more intense 15 minutes in motorsports.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by F23A4
Thank you. Especially regarding the salary of Michael Schumacher versus Jeff Gordon .

As for those who 'knock' WRC, try running at 100mph+ thorough wet, forest terrain (read: gravel, dirt, leaves, etc,..) on the side of a mountain where the thought of blinking could result in nailing a tree or going off a cliff. I cant think of a more intense 15 minutes in motorsports.
Way to read, slappy. We were talking Juan Montoya vs. Gordon...Schmacher is obviously an exception...

No one was "knocking" WRC....I agree with everything you say. But its not racing.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Way to read, slappy. We were talking Juan Montoya vs. Gordon...Schmacher is obviously an exception...

No one was "knocking" WRC....I agree with everything you say. But its not racing.
Just like drag racing isn't racing.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by sauceman
Just like drag racing isn't racing.
It's not Theirs direct and indirect racing...I dont consider indirect a race...
Old 02-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Canuck

I wonder if Honda had a NASCAR, would it ever need to pit for fuel? You just keep going round and round at high RPMS unless there's a crash or soemthing.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I signed the petition simply because, even as a NASCAR fan, I'm bored with the preponderance of NASCAR shows on SpeedTV. I really like just about all different forms of racing and liked Speed better when it covered a broader swath. Now, more and more often, when I flip the on-screen guide to see what the Speed lineup is, it's all NASCAR and, after a half-hour or so, I get bored with it.

It's as if ESPN talked about nothing but college football 80% of the time. I love college football, but I like baseball, hockey, and golf, too.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by moda_way
I personally don't call racing a stop watch racing either

LINK
Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's not Theirs direct and indirect racing...I dont consider indirect a race...
I really have a difficult time seeing on what you base yourself to say something is racing and something else isn't.

If you put the whole pack of WRC cars out there together at the same time, it would inevitably result in a horrific crash. It's not because the finish line isn't the same place as the start line that it's not racing.

Granted, there are different types of racing, but it's all racing. You'd be pretty damned hard pressed to tell Stefan Peterhansel that Dakar isn't racing, just like you'd have a hard time convincing Robby Gordon that Baja 1000 isn't racing. Likewise, I'd like to see you tell Colin McRae the same of his WRC races. Not even an F1 driver would be able to do what those WRC drivers do on dirt roads.

Then again, put a WRC car on a track and would you call that racing? I'd call it denatured racing. But it's still racing.

Actually, why do we call a race not a true race?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by F23A4
Old 02-25-2006, 09:45 AM
cmf
ATCer

SPEED could show as much NASCAR as they want, if they would bring back the second airing of all F1 races. I'm not dedicated enough to wake up at 3 AM for a race on Sunday. I'd rather watch it at 9 PM
Old 02-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cmf
SPEED could show as much NASCAR as they want, if they would bring back the second airing of all F1 races. I'm not dedicated enough to wake up at 3 AM for a race on Sunday. I'd rather watch it at 9 PM

VCR, DVDR or Tivo maybe?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I am not a fan of Nascar despite growing up in the cradle of Nascar and going to Bud Moore's shop after school to learn how to build engines. I just don't get thrilled by the constant round and round, I have always seen it as racings version of Socialism. I have had tons of people try to tell me about how much fun the races are in person, the problem is I have been to them, the bull rings and the super speedways as well, but none of the folks I "argue" with have ever been to a F1 race, even without leaving NA you gotta go to Montreal!!! Even better Spa, Imola, Monza or Silverstone... or if you are brave Brazil (haven't been to Monaco yet but I am sure it will be on that list when I do). The spectacle and party makes Daytona look like a nun convention!

I have far less frustration with Speed and its Nascar schedule than I do with all the paid programing, I know it pays the bills but it sucks.

One big issue with F1 is the inability to show recent F1 races. Once the replay window is over you have to wait 10 years to reshow them, thus F1 Decade.

I always make the more F1 (any road racing) plea at the Speed VIP party at the USGP. David, Steve, Peter and Bob all lament with me but the suits let you know it ain't gonna happen as long as Nascar is so popular and growing. F1 is never going to be big in the US, which actually fine with me but as long as I get to see practice, qually and the race (and F1 decade) I won't complain too much.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:34 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by ilitig8
VCR, DVDR or Tivo maybe?
What's a VCR?
I can't justify the money for Tivo and a DVDR for one race a week. SPEED should just keep to being a channel of nothing but racing, hence SPEED Channel. If I wanted 70 hrs of NASCAR coverage, I'd look for a station titled NASCAR Channel. SPEED is making programming changes for the worse IMO.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Because Of You

Try the OLN channel. They have Formula A1 (or something like that).
Check their website for the listing.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Have camera, will travel

17101 here. Way too much NASCAR on Speed, especially given the tremendous diversity in modern motor sports.

I thought it was a consensus in the racing community that WRC drivers are among the best drivers in the world, especially with regards to car control. I think they're amazing, as are the cars they drive.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Canuck

Glanced at the NASCAR Truck series..looks like Toyota takes up 4 places in the top 5.

http://www.nascar.com/races/truck/20..._official.html

Fin St Car Driver Make Sponsor Pts/Bonus Laps Status Winnings
1 7 #6 Mark Martin Ford Scotts Miracle-Gro 190/10 106 Running $57,210
2 5 #30 Todd Bodine Toyota Germain Motor Company 175/5 106 Running $43,250
3 3 #9 Ted Musgrave Toyota Team ASE/Germain Mtr Co. 165/0 106 Running $27,540
4 1 #17 David Reutimann Toyota Toyota Tundra 165/5 106 Running $23,100
5 8 #60 Jack Sprague Toyota Con-Way Transportation 160/5 106 Running $15,650
Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Glanced at the NASCAR Truck series..looks like Toyota takes up 4 places in the top 5.

http://www.nascar.com/races/truck/20..._official.html

Fin St Car Driver Make Sponsor Pts/Bonus Laps Status Winnings
1 7 #6 Mark Martin Ford Scotts Miracle-Gro 190/10 106 Running $57,210
2 5 #30 Todd Bodine Toyota Germain Motor Company 175/5 106 Running $43,250
3 3 #9 Ted Musgrave Toyota Team ASE/Germain Mtr Co. 165/0 106 Running $27,540
4 1 #17 David Reutimann Toyota Toyota Tundra 165/5 106 Running $23,100
5 8 #60 Jack Sprague Toyota Con-Way Transportation 160/5 106 Running $15,650
:whocares:
Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Canuck

Originally Posted by sauceman
:whocares:
Toyota d00d..non american in Nascar and they are kicking the american butts hahaha.

Not that I watch it but when i flipped through the channels I saw NASCAR and Toyota and I was a bit intrigued. Watched it for 10-15 min and figured Toyota was actually doing well...actually spanking the american manufacturers.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Toyota in NASCAR is as non-american as Uncle Sam. The manufacturers in NASCAR have NO INVOLVEMENT OTHER THEN WRITING CHECKS TO GET THEIR DECALS ON THE CAR.

It's not like there's a team of Japanese engineers working out specs for the best push-rod V8 their plants in Fuji can build. They're all built and designed by shops here in the southern US.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Because Of You

The new F1 season has started. So no more all those Nascar crap!!!!

Alonso won the first round.

So...

Nissan 1st
Ferrari 2nd
Mercedes Benz 3rd
Honda 4th
Old 03-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Canyonball
Please play your part and sign up so we can maybe get the footage of real racing footage 24/7 like when they use to be SpeedVision and not NASCAR whores...

I'm #8367

link to petition to cut down on nascrap on the speedtv channel sign it if you want don't if you don't. that is all....
http://www.petitiononline.com/SpdTV/petition.html
GREAT idea, but seriously no one gives any credit to online petitions, but i'll sign anyway. Get some difting or street racing on there with cars the normal person can buy like Supras vs. RSX's and whatnot