Newer TSX race team

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newer TSX race team

Hi i work for, www.i-motoracing.com, and we race the Acura tsx in Grand Am Cup ST.

I found this site by accident but it looks like there are a bunch of people who enjoy TSX's racing.

A little back ground. I-moto racings team owner, Glen Bocchino, also driver the number 188 car along with Roger Foo. Roger raced in world challenge around the years 2000-200, starting out in his yellow Eg hatch that took pole and a win at Laguna Seca. Glen Bocchino comes from race formula Mazda’s and was also very successful, with wins and podiums in SCCA national competition.

The second car, 187, is Driven by Lee Niffenegger. Lee's racing career stems from Show room stock Honda’s in SCCA National Show room stock class. The second seat in this car has yet to find a permanent driver, and is currently open to funded and qualified drivers.

The cars were built by Roger Foo, and Tommy Badger, hence why the tsx's are so reminiscent of Foo's Eg hatch from world challenge. During the build the team learned a lot and also had to development a lot of parts for the car. Out side of real time racing, no other team has done a lot of racing with the TSX. And because of the restrictive rules of Grand Am Cup, most of the things that RTR uses are not legal for the GAC tsx.

Every race the team continues to get faster, and faster. So please keep an eye out on Speed channel for the 2 yellow tsx's in Grand Am Cup ST.

If any one has any questions feel free to ask i will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
thats sick!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool stuff! Thanks for joining!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

Good luck to you guys in your races.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

that's awesome, the car looks sweet. i like the black rims.

do you have a spec sheet of the car, i was looking on the site but couldn't find one.

Good luck in the next race
Old 07-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced.

Nice! Welcome!
Old 07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fury
that's awesome, the car looks sweet. i like the black rims.

do you have a spec sheet of the car, i was looking on the site but couldn't find one.

Good luck in the next race

what would you like to know?

In GAC ST the modifications are very limited. IE in the VSS for the Acura TSX it says that we can use Hytech Cam's (gives the part number), Hytech header, and Hytech exhaust, gives us the tire size we must use, allows us to use modified rear center links (for camber adjustment), allowed the light wegiht hood, and a diffeferent thottle body (GAC doesn't allow throttle by wire).

Beyond that Intakes are open for all NA cars, and so are sway bars (no weld in bars like the RTR speed way eng), shocks/dampers.

The cars runs H&R rear sway bar, OEM front. Moton 3 way adjustable shocks, with H&R springs, and SPC camber kit, RFR spherical mounts for the shocks. The hood is also a custom peace from RFR also.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Advanced.

I checked your site, you all need some high-res desktop wallpaper's made from some of those photo's. Also, do you have any apparel?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Looking forward to seeing pics and getting more info on those TSX race cars
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow i've always wanted to see how a tsx would look like in yellow!!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Knox
I checked your site, you all need some high-res desktop wallpaper's made from some of those photo's. Also, do you have any apparel?
I will see if i can get some high res photo's uploaded to the site. And If you come out to the track im sure we could hook you up with something.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyc
I will see if i can get some high res photo's uploaded to the site. And If you come out to the track im sure we could hook you up with something.
Good deal. Welcome
Old 07-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

the next race we will be at is barber Motorsports park in Birmingham, Alabama. Come check us out if you are close!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the next race we will be at is barber Motorsports park in Birmingham, Alabama. Come check us out if you are close!
You have a few of us who came out to see you at Mid-Ohio. Love watching you guys dive into the Esses.

I know a few of us on here are looking for some specific parts. One that has managed to continue to plague a few of us are the rear end links. Are you all still running OEM rear endlinks attached to your RSB? Additionally, we have not found a great alternative to clutch disc replacements without having to replace the flywheel with that of an RSX. How are you all setup on the tranny side?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Intermediate

here are a few picture from memeber "ACCURATEin". Next time any of you guys are out at the track, swing by and say hello. Im the one in the second picture with the blue alpinestar hat on. I also have a few peaicerings in my lip, im really freindly though and love to chat it up.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moda_way
You have a few of us who came out to see you at Mid-Ohio. Love watching you guys dive into the Esses.

I know a few of us on here are looking for some specific parts. One that has managed to continue to plague a few of us are the rear end links. Are you all still running OEM rear endlinks attached to your RSB? Additionally, we have not found a great alternative to clutch disc replacements without having to replace the flywheel with that of an RSX. How are you all setup on the tranny side?
I can answer your question about the suspension, but im sorry i know very little about the motor's as thats not were i work. I Know we run exedy clutchs, and they might be prototypes, as the first ones we ordered took awhile, and some of our spares still haven't arrived.

As with all the custom parts on the TSX, RFR has come up with the parts, (hood, spherical mounts) and endlinks. Our new sway bars, (a big thanks to H&R) just got back to us this past week. Im not sure if this will change are end link design or not, but we do have ones that work for the normal H&R rear sway bar.

I will try and get alot of pictures for you guys at Barber, hopefully then we will have our suspension more dialed in, too.

Any more questions and ill be happy to answer, as best as i can.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
The second seat in this car has yet to find a permanent driver, and is currently open to funded and qualified drivers.
I really wish I was well funded so I could apply for the 2nd seat.

In your site, it mentioned that the 2nd seat of the 187 car was once driven by Donna Gilio. Is she the one who's racing in HC H4 up in the Norcal region?

Anyway, welcome to AZ, and good luck in your future races. Hopefully, GAC will return to Calif. Speedway next year so I can come out and watch the race. I haven't been to any GAC races yet, but I've been to 2 WC races up in Laguna Seca.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vwong
In your site, it mentioned that the 2nd seat of the 187 car was once driven by Donna Gilio. Is she the one who's racing in HC H4 up in the Norcal region?

yes she drove the car at mid-ohio.

That race will be on SPEED sunday, can't wait to watch to see what all they caught, as both cars had way to exciting of a weekend
Old 07-08-2006, 06:47 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to AZ!

very nice cars. looks like you all done for the north east this year.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

what would you like to know?

In GAC ST the modifications are very limited. IE in the VSS for the Acura TSX it says that we can use Hytech Cam's (gives the part number), Hytech header, and Hytech exhaust, gives us the tire size we must use, allows us to use modified rear center links (for camber adjustment), allowed the light wegiht hood, and a diffeferent thottle body (GAC doesn't allow throttle by wire).

Beyond that Intakes are open for all NA cars, and so are sway bars (no weld in bars like the RTR speed way eng), shocks/dampers.

The cars runs H&R rear sway bar, OEM front. Moton 3 way adjustable shocks, with H&R springs, and SPC camber kit, RFR spherical mounts for the shocks. The hood is also a custom peace from RFR also.
You just answered my questions , I mostly wanted to know about the suspension set up. Thanks!!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fury
You just answered my questions , I mostly wanted to know about the suspension set up. Thanks!!

Our drivers are very open with what we do, and we have a "no secrete" kind of policy. I would give the specifics but since they change every time we are on the track, it doesn't make much sense because we are always improving.

Our front spring rates are 2.5 times what the stock rates are. (right around 800). And the rear rates the keep going up, and up, and up. Once we get them set i will report back you.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm watching the race right now. Pretty interesting how the Cobalts seem to have the suspension setup down.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:15 AM
n00b

I'm watching the race right now.
I woke up a bit late and watched a little bit of the race before Speed interrupted the race coverage for the freaking 1/2 hr. press conference of JPM moving from F1 to NASCRAP in 2007.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vwong
I woke up a bit late and watched a little bit of the race before Speed interrupted the race coverage for the freaking 1/2 hr. press conference of JPM moving from F1 to NASCRAP in 2007.
Yeah, they interrupted honest racing with NASCRAP. JPM is just impatient and figures, if he's gonna loose all the time, he might as well do it where he lives... in the U.S.

JPM... push gas, turn left, and don't wreck. Yeah, smart move.

There is only 1 driver in NASCAR I have respect for, Boris Said. That guy is incredible and can race anything. I'm just waiting for him to do drag racing, F1 and Desert Racing. He'll have raced just about everything out there on 4 wheels.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:35 AM
n00b

Yeah, they interrupted honest racing with NASCRAP.
Exactly what I thought too. Speed is so pathetic. They'll probably interrupt anything if some NASCRAP related breaking news pop up.

I agree with you on Boris Said. He was the reason I watched a little bit of the NASCRAP race at Infineon.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
how much does each rim weigh?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Advanced

how can i watch the tsx in action !!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
for Boris Said. The guy is impressive. I used to really enjoy watching his racing when he was in the Trans Am race series.

jimmyc, do you have any sort of underbody aerodynamics setup on your cars?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
how much does each rim weigh?
the rims aren't super light but they aren't heavy, i can't remeber the exact weight. Im pretty sure its in my notes that are with the car. I can check when i get back with the car.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sauceman
for Boris Said. The guy is impressive. I used to really enjoy watching his racing when he was in the Trans Am race series.

jimmyc, do you have any sort of underbody aerodynamics setup on your cars?

those are not legal at all. But we have kept many stock parts that would add in aero, which is prefectly legal.

About the guys in NASCAR. All of the top drivers have TONS of tallent. Just because they drive in circles doesn't mean they don't have tallent. If you ask boris what he thinks of the talent level in nascar i know exactly what he would say "Any one who drives in the CUP races has tons of talent, its not easy to drive these cars at 110% for 3+ hours."

Don't get me wrong i love road courses more then anything, but the guys drive have talent
Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Pro

do the hytech cams cause a significant difference? does anyone on this board have them? and does anyone know where to get them?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM
VSA Rocks

Great to have you on AZ jimmy!

Do the rules allow changing the gear ratios and the final drive to better suit the tracks? I believe last time I checked, you guys couldn't destroke the engine, but I have no idea on the gears.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

first day out to the track, in the paddock getting ready

neat picture of the motons

pretty neat way the header is conected together

Hytech exhaust, also note the car was fully stripped, no under coating

hytech header and exhaust picture

SPC camber kit, motons, and H&R springs

the door gutted, the stock door bars are no longer in place

Here is were the door bars go threw the A-pilliar. This was done because have 2 bends in the door severly weakens them. This setup was very difficult but well worth.

another shot of the door bars

from the drivers seat Pi dash wasn't installed at this time

engine bay shot

top side of the hood its a beat

under side of the hood, its a true carbon kevlar hood that weight 6lbs

pit lane

making adjustments

pulling out of the pitts testing the car

here is a LARGE desktop photo for any one who wants it.
www.fotoproduction.com/edited188.jpg I would right click and save target as, it's a 3504x2336 image.
and another of both the cars
www.fotoproduction.com/edited6013.jpg
Old 07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

NICE SHOTS!!! Thanks jimmyc!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

great shots! i have a new desktop wallpaper now too, thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
How much does that carbon kevlar hood run? Its pretty amazing that its 6 pounds.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
How much does that carbon kevlar hood run? Its pretty amazing that its 6 pounds.
Ya most people don't belive that its 6 lbs, but when they go over to the hood and pick it up they don't doubt any more.

As for the cost, im not sure, i know it was alot of money to get the hoods made, but in i except in a few months RFR will have everything set up to be able to sell the hoods and other products.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Nice... Same headers i'm running! Do you still retain any mufflers after the CAT? Single or dual? Btw, I saw your dynos... I'm hoping to hit those numbers once a k-pro is released that's DBW friendly.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shaang
Nice... Same headers i'm running! Do you still retain any mufflers after the CAT? Single or dual? Btw, I saw your dynos... I'm hoping to hit those numbers once a k-pro is released that's DBW friendly.

we ran 2 mufflers on the 188 car for the first race, then in the second race the driver have contact with the wall and we lost the second one. Now both cars only run one muffler.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:54 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a few questions regarding the racing industry etc i hope you can answer if you have the time.

1) What racing schools do you recommend?
2) Where do you look if you are person looking to be a driver for a team?
3) If you want to build your own car for racing such as your TSX what is the easiest Class to get into and still be competetive?
4) How hard is it to meet all regulations?
5) What would you look for in a young man to be qualified to work on your cars prepping them for track day?
6) What would it take for you guys to compete with REALTIME(different class..)
7) what braking system do you plan to upgrade to later on?

I also see you are using the motons which realtime uses but am glad you went with H&R. You may look into custom SWIFT springs since they are 5lbs lighter per spring.

thanks in advance.

BEN

Quick Reply: Newer TSX race team