How would our car do on the track with stickier rubbers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How would our car do on the track with stickier rubbers?

I'm talking Laguna Seca style, not the 1/4
Old 12-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In comparison to what?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Un-Kut
I'm talking Laguna Seca style, not the 1/4
there's TSXs in pro racing series like Speed World Challenge and Grand Am, which is closer to production, so its not like its a camry. You're not going to torch anything lighter just with sticky rubber.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Track cars are usually gutted and tuned for track. If you do that with a tsx you'll lose a lot of the reasons WHY you bought it, luxury and refinement.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Web search: Realtime TSX
Old 12-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The question might simply be about making some handling improvements. The stock ride height gives a ground clearance of 6.2". The former Civic driver in me thinks that lowering the car would improve lap times more than stickier tires, because of aerodynamic and handling improvements (that 0.27 TSX drag coefficient is very impressive). Installing some new rubber is easier than installing some new springs, however. A rear anti-roll bar looks like a common mod, too. [I don't have a TSX.]
Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Nick

I bet sticky "R" rubber would improve road course lap times more than any other mod ...short of something hardcore that would compromise streetability. The other possible mod that might beat out R compound tires is driver improvement. Learn how to drive it ...then go with sticky tires.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXey
I bet sticky "R" rubber would improve road course lap times more than any other mod ...short of something hardcore that would compromise streetability. The other possible mod that might beat out R compound tires is driver improvement. Learn how to drive it ...then go with sticky tires.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Damn right. Like I always say, it's the driver, not the car. The car's capability won't change out there on the course no matter what. It's the driver's skills that will determine how fast the car can go. Once you've become good enough to outdrive the traction of the current tires, then upgrade to stickier tires.

You might get a better lap time with stickier tires, but put the old ones back on, and your lap time will go back to where it was. So what's the point? Anybody can just slap on nice tires and/or suspension parts to make the car faster, but the driver isn't getting any better. Your car is faster, not you. The purpose of any type of racing is to become a better driver.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Nick

Another major purpose of any type of racing that I always like to keep in mind is to WIN.

As long as it's within the rules, anything goes. All's fair in love and racing ...and war ...OK, skip the love part ...OK, appease the screeming liberals and skip the war part, too.

Btw, I think I am already a pretty good driver, actually based on my track time over the last five years, it's clear to me and most who have seen me that I'm an above average driver. So that's my rationalization for saying that come next Spring, I'm throwing some R compounds on our otherwise pure stock TSX and taking it to the track ...just for fun.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Racer

Another major purpose of any type of racing that I always like to keep in mind is to WIN.

As long as it's within the rules, anything goes. All's fair in love and racing ...and war ...OK, skip the love part ...OK, appease the screeming liberals and skip the war part, too.

Btw, I think I am already a pretty good driver, actually based on my track time over the last five years, it's clear to me and most who have seen me that I'm an above average driver. So that's my rationalization for saying that come next Spring, I'm throwing some R compounds on our otherwise pure stock TSX and taking it to the track ...just for fun.
A good driver, and modest too!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:10 AM
Advanced

And I might be taking mine to the ITR Expo 6 this coming June at Gingerman Raceway,MI.
I love my ITR to death, but having the chance to take the TSX out on a road course gets me all warm and tingly.
Oh if anyone is interested : http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6221 PLEASE take a look.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Nick

Originally Posted by fedlawman
A good driver, and modest too!
I'm waiting to see if my modesty takes a beating when I track the TSX.

It's less of a challenge being fast when my other car ('95 Supra stock turbos with minor power mods = 435rwhp/455rwtq + good track brake pads + good track alignment + corner weighting + good adjustable coilovers + R compounds) stops, corners, and accelerates better than most of the other cars on the track.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Racer

I'm waiting to see if my modesty takes a beating when I track the TSX.

It's less of a challenge being fast when my other car ('95 Supra stock turbos with minor power mods = 435rwhp/455rwtq + good track brake pads + good track alignment + corner weighting + good adjustable coilovers + R compounds) stops, corners, and accelerates better than most of the other cars on the track.
I think you'll find the TSX to be capable enough - depends on your expectations. I tracked my TSX 3 times while I owned it. Overall, it's a competent sports car out of the box- especially compared to others of it's weight. It's most glaring deficiencies are common with most cars in it's segment, namely excessive understeer and roll, and quickly fading brakes.

Understeer is easily fixed with tires (mostly) and maybe even a rear sway bar if you want, and the brakes with track pads. Porterfield and Performance Friction are what I have experience with so far. It also really needs a LSD to be a track car - you definitely have to finesse the power as you track out.

I personally think that messing with the TSX's stock suspension too much will mostly just ruin the nice balance that it has from the factory.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!