Wiper fluid shoots bottom of windshield...adjustable??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008 | 06:51 PM
Brum Brum!!

Exclamation Wiper fluid shoots bottom of windshield...adjustable??

I have an 04 with 43,000 miles and whenever I turn on my wiper fluid, its a huge waste because the wipers come up before the fluid hits the windshield and on the way down it just pushes all the liquid down. Not a big deal but I would think it should shoot 1/2 or 3/4 the way up the windshield. have any of you ever adjusted this? Thanks for any help/suggestions!!
Old 09-25-2008 | 08:31 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Easy -- anything small and thin (pin, toothpick, etc) that fits in the nozzle holes will work. Just a heads up, a VERY SLIGHT change to the angle is really amplified on your windshield, so it will take some trial and error.
Old 10-02-2008 | 04:18 PM
Brum Brum!!

ok cool, thanks man
Old 10-07-2008 | 11:21 PM
6th Gear

I am curious to know if you were able to successfully adjust your washer nozzle? I tried this on my 2004 as I was also frustrated with the low spray angle and the waste of fluid. I didn't have much luck. As I recall, it was touchy and I couldn't achieve much improvement. Please let us know how you did.
Old 11-05-2008 | 04:37 PM
2005 TSX 6MT

Originally Posted by bdawg
I am curious to know if you were able to successfully adjust your washer nozzle? I tried this on my 2004 as I was also frustrated with the low spray angle and the waste of fluid. I didn't have much luck. As I recall, it was touchy and I couldn't achieve much improvement. Please let us know how you did.
I adjusted the windshield washer nozzles on my 05 TSX using a small flat blade screwdriver. The nozzles have a narrow horizontal slot. Place the screwdriver blade either above or below the slot as necessary and push to adjust. Do *NOT* place the blade directly in the slot. The nozzle will likely snap or jump between the full up or full down position. Patience and multiple adjustment attempts are necessary.
Old 11-25-2008 | 12:29 PM
Advanced

So I was fiddling around w/ my washer nozzles this weekend and could not figure out how to adjust them. I did what 78transam said and used a small screwdriver and placed it both above and below the "horizontal slot." Wouldn't budge. I tried pressing pretty hard everywhere that WASN'T the horizontal slot, and nothing. It seems like it's all fixed plastic around there and nothing's adjustable.

Any other methods to try from anyone else? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2008 | 12:34 PM
Drifting

I asked my dealer about this and they said they could adjust it for me. Well when I got the car back I found out that whatever they shoved in there to adjust it totally bored the hole out and now it just shoots a solid jet of fluid in the same place it used to spray: the black plastic below the windshield. Awesome.

I'll probably buy a new nozzle thingy in the spring and try fixing it myself. They do not appear to be adjustable at all on 04's anyway.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:09 PM

They are adjustable... I adjusted mine. Use a pin, stick it in the hole, move it around and you'll see that the nozzle indeed moves and can be adjusted.
Old 12-02-2008 | 12:53 PM
Advanced

Guess I'll give this a shot. Kind of worried about sticking a pin in the washer hole, but I guess if I'm very careful, it's worth trying.
Old 12-02-2008 | 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by neocrynym
Guess I'll give this a shot. Kind of worried about sticking a pin in the washer hole, but I guess if I'm very careful, it's worth trying.
Just don't jam it in there more than about 1/2".
Old 12-03-2008 | 09:06 AM
2005 TSX 6MT

Originally Posted by neocrynym
Kind of worried about sticking a pin in the washer hole...
That's why I chose to use a flat blade screwdriver to rotate up or down the nozzles. The nozzles on my '05 wouldn't budge initially but freed up a little as washer fluid dribbled back into the nozzle. Maybe a couple drops of penetrant may help free things up.
Old 12-03-2008 | 10:26 AM
Drifting

It's good to know the techs at my dealer are such incompetent apes that they can't accomplish such a simple task requiring a delicate touch. They've got the tightening down fasteners to the point they will never be able to be removed again covered though.
Old 12-03-2008 | 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
It's good to know the techs at my dealer are such incompetent apes that they can't accomplish such a simple task requiring a delicate touch. They've got the tightening down fasteners to the point they will never be able to be removed again covered though.
I guess if they can't use 700 ft-lb air guns on it, it is something that can't be done!
Old 12-22-2008 | 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Is this only an issue on 04-05 TSX's or are all TSX's come from factory aiming the water hella low?
Old 01-20-2009 | 12:08 PM
Advanced

Seems that the spray is on the low side to compensate for airflow when the vehicle is moving. My ''04 spray is lower at rest as opposed to when moving.
Old 01-20-2009 | 12:16 PM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
Is this only an issue on 04-05 TSX's or are all TSX's come from factory aiming the water hella low?
not sure about the rest, but my 08 is perfect.
it's actually probably the best windshield sprayer I've personally
used to date. I like it much better than the ones that shoot
3 streams out of each nozzle. the one on my TSX sprays
a perfectly even, perfectly aimed fan with just the right amount
of fluid. I guess I will consider myself lucky.
Old 01-20-2009 | 01:07 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
not sure about the rest, but my 08 is perfect.
it's actually probably the best windshield sprayer I've personally
used to date. I like it much better than the ones that shoot
3 streams out of each nozzle. the one on my TSX sprays
a perfectly even, perfectly aimed fan with just the right amount
of fluid. I guess I will consider myself lucky.
My 06 is also perfect.
Old 01-21-2009 | 04:09 PM
Boring Teacher

You aren't by chance visiting Spitzer Acura, are you?? If so...I totally know what you're talking about. Smail Acura in Greensburg isn't any better either. Actually, they may be worse.
Old 01-21-2009 | 04:24 PM
Drifting

Nope, Baierl Acura in Wexford. I'm pretty much done going there for service. They always assume I'm some dumb ass who will just swallow their bullshit and open my wallet then when I start digging into the issue they get pissy with me like they can't believe I would even question what they're telling me. Their prices are insane on top of it all.
Old 01-22-2009 | 09:06 PM
Boring Teacher

Nope, Baierl Acura in Wexford. I'm pretty much done going there for service. They always assume I'm some dumb ass who will just swallow their bullshit and open my wallet then when I start digging into the issue they get pissy with me like they can't believe I would even question what they're telling me. Their prices are insane on top of it all.
Their salespeople are exactly the same. I actually got up from the salesperson's desk in the middle of a sales pitch and walked out because he was being a total jerk. Then he had the nerve to email me some sad sob story about how he worked 3 hours longer than his shift so that he would be there when I arrived and then I made him look foolish by walking out on him and he got laughed at by his manager. BOO HOO!! Needless to say...I will NEVER purchase a vehicle from Baierl ever!
Old 05-08-2012 | 04:51 PM
Cruisin'

Adjusting 04 spray nozzles

My nozzles were way low and small jets. I cleaned them with a small wire and used a very small flat screwdriver to adjust them (they are a ball and socket design). I now have a broad fan of spray across the windshield. Took me 20 minutes or so. Would have been 5 if I had a helper hitting the spray lever.
Old 05-11-2012 | 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

I too had this issue. I tried cleaning the nozzle with a pin and was not very successful. So I went to my kitchen and got a bottle of lime-away (calcium and lime cleaner) and added a couple of ounces in the windshield cleaner water bottle. I then operated the spray and soon the lime-away soon cleaned out the nozzle and it works great again.
Works for me!