Windshield for TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield for TSX

I'm looking into getting my windshield replaced on my TSX due to rock damage. Is a normal window place going to have quality glass? Should I buy a windshield from the dealer (if that is even possible)? The reason I am asking is I have heard about cheap aftermarket windshields and don't want to waste my money on junk. Anyone have an idea on how much the windshield should cost? Thanks for any info.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a good thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22668

Do a search. You'll get a lot of hits. Welcome to teh forum mang
Old 10-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the link. I'll search next time.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, my glass got shattered back in 2003 on my TSX. If the aftermarket is made by PPG, then it is the same as the OEM, just without the Honda sticker.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
04 remembrance

I used safelite couple of months ago and it's top quality.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Cruisin'

Just to chime in. I recently (last week) also got mine replaced. I was worried about quality of the glass, etc etc (i've seen some really funky bending at the edges in other windshields).

The replcaement people told me it wouldn't be a problem. They use the PPG glass which looks completely like the OEM (without the little honda logo). The OEM is prob around 600+ depending on who you get it from. Originally made by Asahi (you can see it on the actual windsheild)

Went with the PPG glass, and haven't had a problem. Looks exactly the same. I paid a little less than 350 (maybe a bit much, but seemed ok to me) The guy did it in less than an hour.

Good luck. I know how stressful and annoying it is.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My quote was $450 to replaced my windshield.

One thing to consider when getting this done is the noise issue our TSX's had in the beggining. (search) The clips weren't set properly and there was tons of noise from the windshield. FYI....
Old 10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
My quote was $450 to replaced my windshield.

One thing to consider when getting this done is the noise issue our TSX's had in the beggining. (search) The clips weren't set properly and there was tons of noise from the windshield. FYI....
I have a rock chip I'm living with right now. It's not too bad I am worried about the noise issue with the windshield. I also have a lot of wiring running down my side pillars.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
I have a rock chip I'm living with right now. It's not too bad I am worried about the noise issue with the windshield. I also have a lot of wiring running down my side pillars.
Well, if the wires are on the inside, they won't be touching it.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mine's been replaced too with the PPG glass.

No problems, no noise. Looks identical to OEM, just no Honda logo.

Like everyone else has said, supposedly exact same glass, no logo.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

HOWS EVERYONE DOIN?? HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!

I work for Standard Auto Glass up here in Toronto. (we're the number 1 autoglass company in the country, for those that dont know us down in the states)

PPG, is just a name brand...like Nike, or Reebok... theres hundreds of other glass manufacturers that are all of the same standards. Im just tryin to reassure everyone incase they didnt get the infamous "PPG" glass. Not to discredit PPG, or claim that there are better brand names, but PPG is just the most popular, not neccesarily THE BEST. So dont feel cheated if you replaced your w/s with a different brand.

WITH THAT SAID,

There are inferior quality glasses as well. I get glass at cost price, and in Canadian dollars that means the LEAST you should be spending, assuming you know someone in the indusry is about 250-300 with installation. Im saying this bc the age old saying is very applicable here: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Although you dont want to break your wallet, I'd be very skeptical of any glass company selling you a w/s for less than maybe $250 US...
Its not so much the WINDSHEILD itself you have to be worried about, GLASS IS GLASS. PPG is not "stronger" or "lighter" or "higher performing" than many other companies. No windsheild is DEFFINATELY going to last longer than any other w/s for any reason. We've had customers walk out with a brand new PPG w/s to get hit by a rock on the way home, and it chips and breaks again! NO JOKE!!! It has VERY LITTLE to do with the glass.

WAT IS IMPORTANT IS THE INSTALLATION!!! AND WHO'S INSTALLING IT, AND HOW!!!!!

1) Ask about the type of SEALANT they are using. YOU WANT NOTHING BUT URETHANE!!!
-some companies use Silicone, by that I mean the MONO stuff you tile your bathrooms with. THAT STUFF WILL MAKE YOUR WHOLE W/S FALL OUT UNDER A REAL HARD FORWARDS BRAKE OR IF YOU AIRBAGS DEPLOY!!!
-alot of people dont realize, but your windsheild plays a vital role in making your airbags perform properly. When they deploy, they actually first shoot more upwards than forwards towards you. its your w/s that they bounce off of and redirect towards the passengers. If when the airbag deploys it pops the w/s out, your airbags wont be as effective at stoping your head from going through to your glove box!!!!

2) you also want to know how they take youR OLD WINDSHEILD OUT!!!!
-there are guys that literally take an exacto knife and stick it btwn the body and the w/s and just cut and cut and scrape and scrape till it comes out... THATS BAD FOR THE BODY OF YOUR CAR...those scratches will eventually rust, and when that happens, the rust will cause your new w/s to eventually crack again.
-ask the guy to take you to the back, and show you how they remove w/s's. Dont be a dick and DEMAND anything. But if theyre a reputable company, they should have high enuff installation methods to not be worried about taking you back. I myself have done it numerous times for the people that really love theyre cars and are worried we wont take care of it.
-Proper w/s cutting tools shood be used. Lubricants to avoid scratching. And look for the TIME it takes them to do the removal. It should take more than about 20 mins. JUST TO TAKE IT OUT!!!! if the guy looks like he's being rough with someone elses car, BELIVE THEY"LL BE JUST AS ROUGH WITH YOURS, AND SCRATCH AND DAMGE THE BODY OF YOUR CAR THEN JUST PUT THE NEW W/S IN, AND YOU'LL NEVER KNOW.

3) Ask about the WARRANTY!!! This is real important. Here at Standard we offer a LIFETIME guarentee against LEAKS, STRESS CRACKS (from when the glass was installed wrong, and one part of the glass is under more stress than another) DEFECTS IN THE GLASS, as well as FREE STONECHIP REPAIRS FOR LIFE. There is no reason for a company to sell you a 30 day, 3 yr, 5 yr or 10 year warranty. If its installed correctly, YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER HAVE A PROBLEM unless you get hit by another rock, or an angry EX takes a baseball bat to your car!! So be consumer Saavy about the warranty. if its too short, its cause they dont do quality work.

Im sorry this is so long, But I just felt a kind of OBLIGATION to be of help to those that without even knowing it, are helping me.

I hope Ive helped you all atleast a bit!!!!

BLESS!!!!!

-G

AGAIN, ILL REITERATE, ITS THE INSTALLATION THATS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE BRAND NAME OF THE W/S.
Dealer glass is a waste of money, your simply paying 200 bucks more for that little sticker HONDA has etched on after they buy their glass from PPG and other companies. And most of the Time, delaerships call autoglass companies JUST LIKE MINE! to come and do the installs for them, then you pay a markup on the price. you might as well have saved 100 bucks and called us first!!!!

AS IVE SAID A COUPLE TIMES ON HERE, THOSE IN TORONTO NEEDING A NEW W/S OR CHIP REPAIR, GIVE ME A CALL 1800-800-2727, ask for GAVIN. Ill make sure I throw in a free Aquapel (rainX type product, but much better) or something!!!!

...MAN, I SHOULD BE GETTING PAID EXTRA FOR THIS ADVERTISING!!!!!

PEACE YA'LL!!!!