Windshield Rattle FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Motorrad Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Windshield Rattle FIXED!!

I've had the windshield rattle for a little over 2K miles. I took it to the dealership yesterday, all they could do was listen and make an appointment for later in the month where they could have the car all day and mess around with it. I left with my head down, the rattle is driving me Nucking Futs!

Today, I was outside the car, walking up to the passenger side. I thought I'd look at the windshield myself. But, from the OUTSIDE. I started pressing on the glass.... nothing. Pressed on the side seals... again nothing. Then, I started pressing against the bottom black plastic piece that runs horizontally along the base of the windshield.... snap, snap, crack crackkkkk... I pressed a little harder and 'POP' it made a solid contact sound and ceased to snap snap crack crack!! I was like "no, that CAN'T BE IT!"

But, I'm here to tell you all. I drove the car over the meanest bumps and twists in the road surface. It was totally quiet. Not even a hint of a crackle or creeeek.

I don't know if this is permanent, or if it's the same noises you've all been hearing. But, give it a try. I will tell the dealership what I did and perhaps they can seal it better or WTF ever. All I know is that it's dead quiet in there now when for the past few weeks I was going over the edge of sanity from it. It's a beautiful thing. I think I'll shed a tear. :'(
Old 12-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Nice discovery. I know I will give this a try when I get home tonight. BTW, where in IL did you drive to last week? I spent most of my youth in Greenville, about 50 miles NE of St. Louis on I-70.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

this is the same peice that caused the whistle i had, i had them seal the peice to the glass with the same stuff they install windshields with. its called urathane. doing this may solve both problems
Old 12-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Motorrad Pilot

Originally posted by miner
Nice discovery. I know I will give this a try when I get home tonight. BTW, where in IL did you drive to last week? I spent most of my youth in Greenville, about 50 miles NE of St. Louis on I-70.
We went to the Quad Cities. Right on the Mississippi, about 3 hours north prolly.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Motorrad Pilot

By the way, day 2 and still no rattle. It's such a peaceful feeling driving without 'creeeeeeek crack crack rattle rattle rattle'. Can't believe it was that simple. BUT IT WAS [so far].
Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
is this the same "windshield cowel" that people have talked about? Can you take it off and fix it yourself, as in with the urathane that bass suggested? If the cracking/popping goes away I will be on cloud 9, that is my only problem with the car, oh other than all the ladies it attracts
Old 12-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Racer

I'll try this out when I go to lunch today.

Congrats on your successful DIY rattle fix!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

Talking

I ran out to the car in the garage at 1 am after seeing this post. I have had the rattle and have been at the dealer once. The dealer never heard the sound. I removed the black cowling cover on the passenger side and pulled the molding that runs down the a pillar on the exterior. There is a Y clip that holds it to the bottom of the windsheild. I pulled the bottom of the molding off the windshield, then re-fastened it. I pushed very hard on the molding all the way down the a pillar to make sure there was no play. I then reinstalled the cowling, put the clips on and

ITS A MIRACLE!! THERE WAS NO MORE CRACKING SOUND ON THE WINSHIELD!!

I went to work today, hit every bump I could and no sound. I believe the exterior black molding clips/fasteners weren't set correctly and with a reset and some hard pushing it fixed the problem:
Old 12-05-2003, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear

I was up in Philly last night. I pressed down on the molding all the way round the windshield. Not a peep all the way back to DC!

Thanks Man! This as driving me nuts.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Motorrad Pilot

Originally posted by tsx9824
I was up in Philly last night. I pressed down on the molding all the way round the windshield. Not a peep all the way back to DC!

Thanks Man! This as driving me nuts.
SWEET!! We may have the bastige cornered now!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:51 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Well as someone who previously suffered from the dreaded windshield creak i have definately developed a tuned ear for it.

THe other day i drove my friends brand new Honda accord coupe and wouldn't cha know it. His car has the same goddamn problem. But his was waaaayyyyyy worse. I just didn't have the heart to mention it to him because it was the first day that he had the car and i didn't want to rain on his parade. Seems like Honda and Acuras are coming off the line with this annoying little problem. Service departments across the globe must be having a great time dealing with these complaints. My dealer replaced my cowling to fix mine and the sound is now 90% gone. THe little sound it makes now occasionally is barely audible and i probably would never even have noticed it if it weren't for my tuned ears.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

The cracking sound is like one of the things that you may not notice unless someone points it out, if you have the radio on. But when they point it out it's like a jackhammer every time you hear it.

I'll try this on my TSX. I hope it works.

Thanks
-Nox
Old 12-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Racer

can someone take some pics of what yall are talking about?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

PBN,

That quite the discovery. So we can now say... have you PBNed it? When somebody complains about this.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:16 AM

I removed the entire cowl and drove around without it and still heard the "rattle" I guess I must be experiencing something different. plus the stupid dealer doesnt have a loaner for another 3 weeks, so I cant take it in!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Motorrad Pilot

Originally posted by DEVO
PBN,

That quite the discovery. So we can now say... have PBNed it? When somebody complains about this.
:P
Old 12-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Yeah..

Originally posted by virus7
I removed the entire cowl and drove around without it and still heard the "rattle" I guess I must be experiencing something different. plus the stupid dealer doesnt have a loaner for another 3 weeks, so I cant take it in!
From what I understand, it's not the cowl itself that PBN says caused his problem, but the plastic molding running down the side of the windshield on the passenger side of the car. Removing the cowl wont fix it. Instead, press really hard on the plastic molding on the passenger side of the windshield starting from the top of the molding all the way down to the bottom to make sure all the Y clips are clipped into place securely.

Am I understanding this correctly PBN?
Old 12-08-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by 7or8
From what I understand, it's not the cowl itself that PBN says caused his problem, but the plastic molding running down the side of the windshield on the passenger side of the car. Removing the cowl wont fix it. Instead, press really hard on the plastic molding on the passenger side of the windshield starting from the top of the molding all the way down to the bottom to make sure all the Y clips are clipped into place securely.

Then it must just be something different cause the sound I hears come from both the passenger and driver (mostly driver) down at the front of the dash where it touches the windshield, and I did push the plastic molding down on the side of the windshield too, where are these Y clips?
Old 12-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

FYI... the y clips shouldn't be visible... you will have to removing the molding in order to actually see them... just make sure they connect by pressing the molding in.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Motorrad Pilot

Originally posted by 7or8

Actually, cut and pasted from my original post: "Then, I started pressing against the bottom black plastic piece that runs horizontally along the base of the windshield...." I think I am referring to the 'cowl' here. It's the piece that sits along the bottom edge of the windshield, not vertical up either side. Is this the 'cowl' ?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Yeah..

Originally posted by PBNČ
Actually, cut and pasted from my original post: "Then, I started pressing against the bottom black plastic piece that runs horizontally along the base of the windshield...." I think I am referring to the 'cowl' here. It's the piece that sits along the bottom edge of the windshield, not vertical up either side. Is this the 'cowl' ?
Oops...I just realized it wasn't you PBN, but Stulo, that posted about the Y clips and the side molding...

Originally posted by stulo2002
I ran out to the car in the garage at 1 am after seeing this post. I have had the rattle and have been at the dealer once. The dealer never heard the sound. I removed the black cowling cover on the passenger side and pulled the molding that runs down the a pillar on the exterior. There is a Y clip that holds it to the bottom of the windsheild. I pulled the bottom of the molding off the windshield, then re-fastened it. I pushed very hard on the molding all the way down the a pillar to make sure there was no play. I then reinstalled the cowling, put the clips on and

ITS A MIRACLE!! THERE WAS NO MORE CRACKING SOUND ON THE WINSHIELD!!

I went to work today, hit every bump I could and no sound. I believe the exterior black molding clips/fasteners weren't set correctly and with a reset and some hard pushing it fixed the problem:
Old 12-08-2003, 04:30 PM

can you just pull up the molding? I dont want to break anything.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Yeah..

Maybe Stulo can chime in on that. I don't have my car yet so I'm in no position to try it.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

The y clip is at the bottom of the molding on the A-pillar, you need to remove the cowling(the black cover along the bottom of the windshield).
Then you will see the bottom of the windshield, look at the corner where it starts to run up the A-pillar, there is a Y clip, push from the windshield out with a flathead screwdriver. There are three other clips holding the molding on the A-pillar, but I didn't remove those at all. I just set the Y clip back on the windshield and pushed very hard all the way down the window. I heard the cracking sound and then nothing. I then put the cowling back on and I didn't heard the sound again.

I hope this post helps.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:07 PM
10th Gear

For what it's worth, I had my TSX in on Monday because of windshield rattling/dash creaking. I printed out and took in this thread to my dealer to get them going in the right direction. They actually didn't do anything to my windshield/dash area. They worked on the front passenger side door. This is their writeup:

THERE ARE SOME NOISES IN THE DASH AREA IN COLD WEATHER. CHECKED FRONT COWL - OK. WINDSHIELD MOLDING - OK. DASH PANEL AND GLOVE BOX - OK. CHECK SIDE PILLARS. VISORS, HANDLES - OK.
REMOVED LEFT FRONT DOOR PANEL
INSTALL EPT TO PROTECT AGAINST VIBRATION. TEST DROVE VEHICLE WITH BOTH TECH AND WRITER BEFORE AND AFTER. NOISE HEARD BEFORE. NO HEARD AFTER. NO ABNORMAL NOISES AT THIS TIME.

Whatever EPT is, they did fix the creak/pop/sounds like my windshield is going to fall out sound. I haven't heard one pop since I picked up the car.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Advanced

good job
Old 12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah..

Originally posted by UTmtnbiker
...I printed out and took in this thread to my dealer to get them going in the right direction...
Good thinkin..
Old 12-13-2003, 11:11 AM
You want me to break it?

To remove the cowl, do you just pry it off the windshield or what? I looked under the hood and couldn't find any screws or anything holding it on. Im just nervous about prying plastic parts off the car without knowing how they're held on. Thanks
Old 12-13-2003, 12:37 PM

check the bottom of the thread for instructions.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4932
Old 12-18-2003, 06:18 PM
tzx
Cruisin'

Today while driving over bumps on the highway
and narrower roads, I noticed, for the 1st time, "creaks" which seemed to come from the dash near the windshield.
Outside temp ~42deg; Nothing seems loose.
TSX owner since 7/03, 4700 miles.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Helper monkey, eh?

Damn it!!!

I heard the dreaded creaks this morning on my way to work. It was the coldest day since I bought the car (around 20). Could this be a contributing factor?
Old 01-07-2004, 06:46 PM
A-TSX Driver...

I haven't heard my dash creaking/cracking/snapping in quite a few months now. It did it for about two weeks in a row and then stopped when I pressed on the passenger side A-Pillar.

I wonder where it went???
Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 PM
3rd Gear

Fixed my problem too!! Thanks!

Got mine 2 weeks ago and the crackling was making me second guess buying a 1st year model.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks It Worked.

I was very excited to see this post after being disappointed with my windshield cracking noise about 4000 miles into it. After reading the post, I went out to my car and tried pushing in the black plastic part that runs along the bottom of my windshield (I think it's called the cowl-cover), as recommended by PBN. Since I had the crackling noise coming from both driver and passenger side(at least I thought), I pushed in all areas along the plastic portion meeting up with front-windshield. Driver side did not yield any sound as I pushed, but when I pushed in the passenger side, I heard the crackling sound. Again as recommended, I pushed in little harder in that area and made the "click" noise... not loud but noticeable.

I had my doubts, but it must worked to some degree because I can barely hear the cracking noise! I have to turn-off my radio and drive over a large bump(not by choice of course) to hear little cracking sound that I used to live with. Thanks for your help and sharing guys!!!

(If I remember, I'll try to take a picture of the area where I pushed in if that would help others at all...)

Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Jersey ---> Maryland

Thanks guys!

i had this noise and it was driving me nuts. i pushed on it and it went away but u can still hear it slightly vibrating on the window. it was no longer crackling/rattling. i bought some foam and put small pieces under the black plastic and the noise is completly gone!!!!

thanks!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Yeah..

This is good news! Gives us something to work with..at least until Acura fixes it on the production line.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:04 AM
9th Gear

Thumbs up

Okay guys, thanks to this thread, a dealer fixed my windshield squeek/creak (but without pushing on the cowl).

I took my TSX to the dealer where I bought my car TWICE, but all they did was shove a little EPT insulation tape between the dash and windshield and tell me the creaking is normal. Bullshit - Chevy's don't creak this much.

So I printed out this thread and took the car to a different dealer (Pauly Acura in Highland Park, IL). The service department heard the ridiculous creaks and went to work - eliminating the creak. The invoice states:

- insulated right front cowl and R and L/ A-Pillar trim;
- insulated R/F dash near windshield;
- removed L/F side curtain air bag trim, replaced 2 broken clips for wire harness;
- insulated wire harness and side air bag trim;
- insulated left door handle (rattle).

Hope this helps someone else...
Old 01-30-2004, 01:05 PM
4th Gear

Acura fixed my windshield noises (hopefully)

My windshield/dash area was making cracks and pop noises just like everyone else explains here. It happens when driving over certain bumps.

I live in Seattle and brought to my dealer twice and could not duplicate the noise those days. The two days I brought it in it was 50 degrees and rainy. Starting to sense a pattern, I waited until a 40 degree dry day after having my car in the garage all night. That day the cracking noise was very easy to get going over bumps.

I brought it into the service dept at my dealer and a technician and I drove the car. Thank God this time it was acutally making the noise. After we got back from the drive another technician heard us talking and proclaimed he knew the fix.

He pulled up on the black rubber molding on both sides of the of the outside of the windshield and asked me to try the same drive again.

I went and drove it again and I'm happy to report the cracking noise went away. He pulled up on it pretty good so I'm hoping it will continue to be noise free.

I'm thinking this might be the fix as it seemed temperature / moisture related. If the molding was warmer and had moisture on it from rain it would not make the annoying "crack" noise.

Hopefully this was the trick and my noises are now fixed. Looking forward to getting back to driving this fun car.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info guys. I've STILL got this same problem. As long as it's above 65 degrees and/or rainy, there's no loud snapping noise. But first thing in the morning, or at night, lots of noise.

I've been driving around with my heater on max, in defroster mode (A/C off) to try to keep my windshield warm and quiet. It takes about 20 minutes to heat it up sufficiently though, so I'm sweating a lot and it's frickin' annoying.

I've either gotta take the car in, or pull the DIY thing. But I'm reluctant to start pulling on cowl covers and stuff. If anybody who's been successful fixing this rattle can post picts of what you did, or describe it super thoroughly, I'd be grateful.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Instructor

This sux.. Appearantly Acura does not listen or read this formun.
I just got my TSX 2 weeks a go Early Feb, and after 3 days.. i started hearing window creak around center console over the bump on the highway. I thought it is just cold weather and sometimes it goes away after 10 to 20 min of driving. Now it appears on entire trip to work( take 1 hour).
From the posting. I starting checking on the black "cowl-cover" along the bottom of windshield . I assume that is the one below
the wiper?. I start from drive side. No snaping sound. But on the passenger side. I hear snap sound (the sound similar when you push the safety button on can food to check if the can has been opened?). I pushed it harder and it stopped snapping.
But I still hear snap right below the right wiper(on the center of the black cover), and no matter how hard I push or press it.. I still hear snap . pop sound. I will test drive the car tonight when I go home to see if the creak sound. IF it is still there. I might have to go to dealership for the fix.

Quick Reply: Windshield Rattle FIXED!!