windshield rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy windshield rattle

I got the rattle 2 weeks ago when it became cold out. I called the dealer today(Open road acura, Wayne NJ). I made an apptointment. The person I spoke to said I was the 6th TSX to come in with rattle problems, he said it maybe the window seal. He said its a new model and they have addressed most of the issues?.

I hope they fix that darn rattle, other then that the car is perfect!
Old 11-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had any probs yet. But a lot of ppl here say they have had a simmilar prob with the windsheild. If you dealership does fix it ask them what they did to fix it.

The weather here in cali is starting to get chilli. I hope I don't have the same prob.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
agreed let us know if they fix it. My road is crappy on the way to work and its getting cold out
Old 11-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by ortiz
starting to get chilli.
mmmm....chili..... yum yum!

i got my first rattle right when it started to get cold--it only happens when the body "twists" a bit. i will probably bring it in to the dealer when i have a bit more time, but we thought that it was probably the adhesive used to put the windshield in place, and it contracted due to the decrease in temperature.

we need a rattle emoticon for this board...
Old 11-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Advanced

yea

I brought my Tsx in a week ago for the door rattles and the windsheld. I basicly told them they need to fix it before it leaves the dealership. They're ordering me a new windsheld but as far as the doors go. They knew what I was talking about and they said acura is working on a solution to fix it. Being a asshole makes everything better.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Instructor

a new windshield? Didn't other people fix that problem by securing the molding on the outside of the window. Sounds like they might be trying to kill a fly with a gun.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:09 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My windshield has the infamous rattle/clicking sound and there is NO WAY in hell I would let them replace my entire windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with that.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Cruisin'

Rattle

I noticed the rattle this evening. It is finally getting a little chilly here in Alabama. It sounds like it's coming from the windshield. I only hear it when I hit a bump in the road.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Intermediate

Re: Rattle

Originally posted by mizzrivera
I noticed the rattle this evening. It is finally getting a little chilly here in Alabama. It sounds like it's coming from the windshield. I only hear it when I hit a bump in the road.
The windshield in my 3 month old TSX started this same rattling noise this week as it has gotten cold here. Does it when the road is rough and when its cold outside.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:12 PM
8th Gear

Rattle Too...

Love the car, hate the rattle! I'm having the same problem... Is there anyone that can post fixes and whether or not they have worked permanently?
Old 11-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

I took mine in yesterday. The mechanic said, "the "A" pillar trim was rubbing the windshield and he replaced the "A" pillar trim and insulated the contact area". I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I did not hear any rattling today on my 50 mile commute. So far, so good!
Old 11-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

I took the in yesterday for the windshield rattld. Te mechanic took it foir a ride and didn't here the rattle. Tey then said the service manager was going to drive it in the afternoon. I told them that it only happens when the temp is in the 40's or below. its in the 50's here in NJ. I don't think there going to find anything now I'll have to come back in January when its really cold.

They gave me a huge towncar, which I hate. it was either that or a suburban
Old 11-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Instructor

on the evil site a guy posted a fix http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=5347
Old 11-18-2003, 08:39 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know about your noise, but mine comes from the middle of the windhield, not the A pillars...you guys talking about the same thing?
Old 11-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
I dont know about your noise, but mine comes from the middle of the windhield, not the A pillars...you guys talking about the same thing?
ill bet you guys 10 bucks its your headliner. i have a hard wired radar detector in my car and i ran the wire across and between the headliner and W/S i noticed that is that wire lays in the wrong place the liner will rattle on the windshield. try sticking a folded up peice of paper towel between the glass and the headliner, you can pull it down a little without breaking it. stiff the towel in there ans see if the problem goes away.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:11 PM
04 remembrance

oh my god. i just experienced this problem yesterday as well. fucking annoying, i fucking hate it.

i am also from nj, and yes, it happened when it was cold, wtf?!

boOoo...
Old 11-24-2003, 07:51 PM
8th Gear

boo is right! interesting tidbit: my rattle has mysteriously stopped. it stopped over the weekend when our temp dropped from the 40s to the teens and 20s! what the heck?!? it used to be that there was a very-defined temperature threshold in which the windshield would start rattling - at about 43 degrees outside. but no more...it's gone. let's hope it doesn't come back...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Advanced

I think it comes from center lower section where meets dash. It is annoying and 30-45 degrees it is worse. Probably a $1000 problem with a $10 fix if acura cared enough to investigate and post a proper service announcement. Why irriate everyone with a stupid rattle after paying 26-29k for a car?
I will try some home fixed and see if I can id the woe.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:08 AM
Pro

i notice my headliner does not have a have a "seal" with windshield, what will my dealer do? will they fix it and anyone know what did they do?? thanks.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

I took my TSX to the dealer to have the rattle fixed.

They added some insulation tape between the dash and the windshield.

It didn't fix the problem.

I called them back.

They said to bring it in agian.

I explained that I don't want them trying to fix the problem by the hit or miss and try it again method. There are many other cars with this problem, maybe they should call Acura or other dealers for help. They said they were unaware of any other cars with this problem or a "fix" from Acura and I need to bring it in so they can look at it again...

I can just picture them tearing through the car and adding tape over every surface. Eventually they might get it right.

aaaaarrrggghhhh!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Advanced

Another cold morning in tulsa and yes the squeak, rub squeak sound from the lower center windshield dash area.
Probably a .25 cent fix if communicated properly in dealer network.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear

Angry windshield crackle

I too have noticed this as the weather has become colder.
When I hit slight bumps a snapping or cracking noise comes from
what sounds like either the passenger A pillar where the windshield connects or the dash and windshield on the same size. Major annoyance! When I called my local dealer my service
rep noted that another rep noticed one of their loaner TSX's doing the same thing. It seems pronounced when below 35 degrees F.
I am taking the car in for a fix in 2 weeks and will report back any fixes.
Anyone else?
Old 11-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Instructor

i live in florida so i dont have that problem yet, but my door trims rattle when listening to music with some bass, does anyone else have the same problem?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:55 PM
You want me to break it?

In addition to my first child on the way, I am now also blessed with the middle/passenger side windshield squeak to go with all my other little rattles/squeaks. Just started happening since it has gotten into the 40's here. You'd think on a nearly $30000 JAPANESE car built in JAPAN that they could have done better. I suppose the previous threads stating that made in Japan ain't what it used to be were accurate. The car is fun and well laid out, but come on Acura, my wife's Trailblazer rides better and it's 6 months older than my TSX!!!!!

By the way, your little rattles are a well complained about issue - everyone seems to know about them except Acura.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Instructor

Hmm I took my car in finally to get the noises checked out, and the windsheild too. Of course they didn't find anything wrong. Later when I went to pick up my car, they had washed it and cleaned the carpet. The rep suggested I go for a ride with the service tech, and yep it didn't make any noise. Now my TSX is noise free again. I wonder if they actually did fix it , but didn't want me to know they did,..haha maybe next time my car is dirty I'll say it's making noise and get a free car wash again.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Gpump
In addition to my first child on the way, I am now also blessed with the middle/passenger side windshield squeak to go with all my other little rattles/squeaks. Just started happening since it has gotten into the 40's here. You'd think on a nearly $30000 JAPANESE car built in JAPAN that they could have done better. I suppose the previous threads stating that made in Japan ain't what it used to be were accurate. The car is fun and well laid out, but come on Acura, my wife's Trailblazer rides better and it's 6 months older than my TSX!!!!!

By the way, your little rattles are a well complained about issue - everyone seems to know about them except Acura.
i wish i had some solution for you guys, my car has had the whole interior removed and reinstalled and i still have a noise free cabin, no rattles and no squeeks.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by inkytawney
Another cold morning in tulsa and yes the squeak, rub squeak sound from the lower center windshield dash area.
Probably a .25 cent fix if communicated properly in dealer network.
I just had my TSX at the local Tulsa dealership, in the hope that they will fix the windshield rattles. They have ordered outside seal replacements, as well as clips... we'll see if it helps or not.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:51 AM
6th Gear

Unhappy Windshield Reinstalled--still rattles/creaks

After dropping the car at the dealer on Monday, they confirmed I was the 4th owner to have the windshield rattle/creak. They weren't able to do anything with the other cars but decided to use me as a guinea pig and wanted to reinstall the windshield to see if it was a problem with the alignment, seals for clips--well, reinstalling did solve the problem so now they're working with Acura tech support/engineering to try and solve the problem. If any one cares, the dealer is Mile High Acura in Denver, CO.

Will keep you posted. Paul
Old 12-03-2003, 06:53 PM
10th Gear

Question rattles--dealership fixes

Ok -

I took my car in on Tuesday for the following:

- Popping/creaking noise coming from the windshield area
- Vibration from both front doors when the stereo is on
- Seat shifting/feels like something underneath is banging against the front/right side when stopping or making a sharp left hand turn
- Squeeking brakes

I live in Dallas, and the dealership I went to is the same where I purchased--Goodson Acura in Irving. I called first and spoke w/ someone and he said to bring it in...never heard of the windshield problem before.

When I got there he wanted to ride with me and sure enough, he heard it! He was VERY shocked at how bad/loud it was. He said he could not believe it...it sounded like the windshield was going to fall out. Said something was definitely wrong. He also said he would check on the other things. His name was Chris something...service manager.

Today is Wednesday and I just got my car back (they had to keep it overnight for seat part). Here's the outcome:

- Windshield--did something with the seals--still making noises, so I called as I was driving home and made an appt to drop it off again in the AM

- Door vibration--problem fixed! The receipt says they applyed EPT to both door panels (whatever that means)

- Seat problem--fixed! They replaced the drivers seat linkage.

- Brakes--normal squeaking, said there was dust.

Anyway, thought you guys might be interested in this...sounds like there is hope for all the issues. I'll let you know how the windshield thing goes again tomorrow.

Oh, one other thing, the service manager and salesman I bought the car from said they have not had any here in the Dallas area with the windshield problem...today it's about 62 degrees and it was popping, I told them they should get prepared for others to start rolling in, especially as the temp continues to drop...
Old 12-04-2003, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

Thumbs down

Just took the car in this morning for the windsheild rattle. Have just over 3000 miles and the car is a huge dissapointment. Rides like a dump truck, is very noisy, the doors close like a tin can, it rattles, engine feels weak, etc. Should have kept my Passat.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Motorrad Pilot

Originally posted by dkasab
Should have kept my Passat.

...because Volkswagon's are OH-SO-RELIABLE and never have problems.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dkasab
Just took the car in this morning for the windsheild rattle. Have just over 3000 miles and the car is a huge dissapointment. Rides like a dump truck, is very noisy, the doors close like a tin can, it rattles, engine feels weak, etc. Should have kept my Passat.
if your opinion of the TSX is that bad then you dont know a quality car when you see it. perhaps you deserve to drive a passat. it probly suits you much better than anything acura offers.

if 1 rattle is all that it takes to make you upset with the TSX then i cant possibly imagine how you would choose a VW over a TSX. and as for the ride quality maybe you should drive a dumptruck first before you make that comparason.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

Talking WINDSHIELD FIXED!!

AFTER STARTING THIS THREAD I'VE FIXED THE PROBLEM!!

I ran out to the car in the garage at 1 am after seeing this post. I have had the rattle and have been at the dealer once. The dealer never heard the sound. I removed the black cowling cover on the passenger side and pulled the molding that runs down the a pillar on the exterior. There is a Y clip that holds it to the bottom of the windsheild. I pulled the bottom of the molding off the windshield, then re-fastened it. I pushed very hard on the molding all the way down the a pillar to make sure there was no play. I then reinstalled the cowling, put the clips on and

ITS A MIRACLE!! THERE WAS NO MORE CRACKING SOUND ON THE WINDSHIELD!!

I went to work today, hit every bump I could and no sound. I believe the exterior black molding clips/fasteners weren't set correctly and with a reset and some hard pushing it fixed the problem:
Old 12-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Motorrad Pilot

Re: WINDSHIELD FIXED!!

Originally posted by stulo2002
AFTER STARTING THIS THREAD I'VE FIXED THE PROBLEM!!

...ahem. You're welcome!