:whyme: BURNING OIL BAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy :whyme: BURNING OIL BAD

Hi Everyone,

ok, to start I had the first TSX on the road here in Toronto as of march 2003, I remember having to wait 4days before buying it because the
dealer didn't even have the price yet but had the cars in the backlot, that was so much fun, it felt like being the only tsx on the road until early 04
when I started seeing them pop up everywhere.

I've also had a good amount of the problems/fixes found here on this forum. I just got the pedal squeak/creek but more importantly now that
I have 114KM my tsx is burning oil mad. I have always gone to the dealer for my oil changes, most of the time at least 2000km early before the next oil change is needed. I baby the car, take good care of it, and yes occasionally I hit the pedal when merging on to the hwy. I don't corner hard but here and there I open it up on the hwy, don't see anything wrong with that since it's a peppy car anyway.

so to cut the story short, I have noticed as of 100,000km that after 4000km on a new oil change my oil light would start to flash when I corner and then go away, the dealer told me that the tsx burns oil naturally and that it's normal to have oil burned as I'm about to come in for an oil change. just the other day I merged on to the hwy, I gave it some extra gas and noticed dark smoke behind my car, the sun had just gone down and the car behind lit it all up. , now I'm scared. also checked my tail pipes and I see a lot of black deposits on it, even on the lower bumper around the exhaust. shite just washed my car

My lease is up in march, I thinking of jumping into a new one and not holding on to this one.

What can I do, I thinking of just going to mister lube from now on and getting hi grade sinth oil and getting engine flushes.

is this oil burning because of bad compression in the cylinders or is this normal for the tsx, I'm worried.

Some one give me some advise?

Thanks,

ps, I have also lately experienced the transmition chatter, when starting out from a hill. what the hell is that?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CAPS:

Some questions:

1) Was your car new when you first got it? Did it have less than 10 miles on the odometer?

2) How did you drive it for the first 600 miles? Did you do a lot of long distance highway trips at a steady speed or mostly city trips at varying speeds?

3) After the 600 miles were up, did you do a lot of highway miles at a steady speed or mostly city trips at varying speeds?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

yea, I did get the car brand new, only had 15-20km on it.

I did do mostly highway miles for the first 2.5 years, so yea, first 600miles all highway. Is that bad?, i was thinking highway miles are better than city stop and go.

now after 600miles i have been doing less highway and more city driving.
but less driving in general.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Highway miles are most definitely bad for the first 600 miles during the break in period.

I think that is the reason that your are burning so much oil. The valve seals did not seat properly.

I have been reading these boards for more than 3 years now. I have now read about 3 to 5 TSXs which are burning excessive oil that did mostly highway driving during the initial 600 miles. Of those, I think 2 TSXs are Canadian like yours. One of them belongs to a member of this board by the name of Sauceman. He is one of the most credible members of this board and I think he is burning about a quart every 1000 miles or so. Are you out there Sauceman?

Based on the evidence I have seen, I would advise you to let go of your TSX when the lease is up. With the next new car you get, avoid highway during the first 600 to 1000 miles. It is hard to believe I know but stop and go traffic is good for a new car.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it states in the manual to avoid travelling at a constant speed/rpm during the initial break in period. I did a lot of highway driving as well but I changed gears and varied my speed while I was on the highway. I'm at 65 000km and I haven't noticed any oil burning. So highway driving during break in period is ok as long as you don't drive at a constant speed.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:35 AM
Because Of You

The guy might be putting too much oil when he was doing the oil change. (i.e. instead of 4 qts, the guy might fill it up with 10 qts etc.)

The guy might forget to drain the old oil and just pump new oil to the car.

This seem to be the case to me.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Canuck

No issue with burning oil whatsoever in my 05 AT with 18,000KM. Never had to add a drop of oil.

I believe the engines are broken in at the factory after it's built no? It gets run for a period of time I think.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Search for a few threads started by me. I had a problem with this before, and have TSX # 00032 for the Canadian market (bought used in May 2005).

Long story REALLY short, I was given a lot of hassle even though I was within the warranty period, but after getting a rebuild (rings, valve seals, valve guides), it still burned oil (1L/1000km, kinda along the same lines as you but I checked it weekly). After that was proven to not have fixed it, I got a brand new short block put in (block, incl. all rings and pistons, crankshaft, etc...). Never had a songle problem since.

If you do end up talkint to your dealer, mention that a number of early-run TSX's in Canada have had this problem. Again, my VIN ends in 00032, and Sauceman's ends in 00134 (I think? Somewhere around there). There's also a few others in Canada with the same problem - you'll see them posting in my threads.

Good luck - you'll unfortunately need it since you're 14K out of warranty. If the lease it up, get out, and into a 2006.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by narci
No issue with burning oil whatsoever in my 05 AT with 18,000KM. Never had to add a drop of oil.

I believe the engines are broken in at the factory after it's built no? It gets run for a period of time I think.
Piston rings and valve seals need to be run in to seal properly in the first 100 miles. The other mechanical metal to metal parts are pretty much run in.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:25 AM
wiz
Pro

I bought my TSX back in April of '03 and I have been experiencing the same oil burning problem with my TSX for the past year. For the first 600 miles I did highway and city driving (mostly city though) and babied it. I have babied the car all around since I have owned it and Acura has done every oil change for me. I have been adding oil to it though in between oil changes for a while now and everything seems fine. I will probably be trading the TSX in sometime later this year or beginning of next year for something else but I must say this does worry me. I financed my car and I am working quickly to get it paid off so I can keep some money in this car in case something happens.

Oh yeah, I have 55k miles on mine as well.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran my car in hard. I was vtec-ing in 2nd gear up a steep hill the day I picked the car up after driving about 20 miles from the dealer. I check my oil level monthly and in between the 6 month/5000 mile changes, the oil level did not drop at all. I went for a track day where I had 3 x 30 minute sessions where I ran my car to redline in 2nd and 3rd, just hitting 4th gear on the straights. At the end of the day, I checked my oil level and it didn't move. In contrast, friend's B18C was drinking oil like a thirsty dude in a desert. After 2 sessions, his oil level went from maximum to just below minimum. It was terrible to drink so much in just 60 minutes. His engine only had bolt ons as well.