Why you should change your cabin pollen filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Got Phó?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
its in there... you're looking at the manual that comes w/ your car right?
Yah....2005 owner's Manual.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:24 AM
TSX

Originally Posted by jlukja
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=355466

Its for a 7th gen Accord but I think the procedure is the same
It's not...

the two clips on the inner wall of the glove compartent you can take out. Just use a flat head screwdriver and pop those out and the glove compartment will release.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Savio
It's not...

the two clips on the inner wall of the glove compartent you can take out. Just use a flat head screwdriver and pop those out and the glove compartment will release.
The filter is on order so I haven't done it yet. Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I compared the Acura filter with Wix filter (From www.filter1.com)

The Acura TSX filter is better quality. It has more ribs then the Wix. The material looks a little better. I got the Acura TSX filter from handa-accessories for something like $34 dollars. The Wix filter was a little over $12 dollars. I guess you get what you pay for. I am not sure if the tickness of the filter would make much off a difference. I've never tried the TL or Honda Cabin/Pollen filter. I believe someone said it is the same as the Acura TSX filter and that it cost around $16-$20 dollars. Can someone confirm the TL and/or Honda Accord filter is the same as the TSX?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by peterjedi
The Acura TSX filter is better quality. It has more ribs then the Wix. The material looks a little better. I got the Acura TSX filter from handa-accessories for something like $34 dollars. The Wix filter was a little over $12 dollars. I guess you get what you pay for. I am not sure if the tickness of the filter would make much off a difference. I've never tried the TL or Honda Cabin/Pollen filter. I believe someone said it is the same as the Acura TSX filter and that it cost around $16-$20 dollars. Can someone confirm the TL and/or Honda Accord filter is the same as the TSX?
I picked up two TL filters today from a local Acura dealer (same as Honda Accord). The size looks the same as the TSX but the quality looks much cheaper (like thin paper). Oh well, can't complain since they are free.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Instructor

guys, i just got my TSX a week ago and the carfax said it had been in for service 5K ago....is this service part include the changing of these filters? Or should i replace these...BTW I checked the oil and its full and looks clean. OH, also, i dont have a users manual..where can I get a manual for a good price?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

if its good enough for a TL and RL its good enough for my TSX
Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

so are those fleet filters good stuff, or cheap not worth wasting money
Old 08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BzeTSX
guys, i just got my TSX a week ago and the carfax said it had been in for service 5K ago....is this service part include the changing of these filters? Or should i replace these...BTW I checked the oil and its full and looks clean. OH, also, i dont have a users manual..where can I get a manual for a good price?
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=
Old 08-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

Changed mine today @ 23K
I got the cheap one - WIX (#24815 @ $9.75) from fleetfilter.com (made in Taiwan)

WIX one has 32 pleats, factory one has 44 pleats and a plastic "spine" in the middle

People say factory one is stiffer, I think it's combo of:
1) it's clogged with dirt & whatnot
2) More pleats within the same dimension
Old 08-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
Changed mine today @ 23K
I got the cheap one - WIX (#24815 @ $9.75) from fleetfilter.com (made in Taiwan)

WIX one has 32 pleats, factory one has 44 pleats and a plastic "spine" in the middle

People say factory one is stiffer, I think it's combo of:
1) it's clogged with dirt & whatnot
2) More pleats within the same dimension
^^ how many miles on the dirty one Mr. leberry?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Banned

Those who got TL/Accord part

Those of you who got this part for TL/Accord (they have identical p[art #)

How many pleats in that one ?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlukja
^^ how many miles on the dirty one Mr. leberry?
exactly 23K, suburban driving, little hi-way
Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 AM
8th Gear

I got mine from Advance discount auto yesterday for 13$///
Old 08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Advanced

so whats the part #?
Old 09-03-2006, 02:25 AM
Got Milk???

hmm thought I saw some at local Sears, gonna check tomorrow and see what the price is.

KC
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced

what are the instructions? i'm not car savvy but i have a friend who can change mine. i just need the instructions. i have a 2006 tsx and it's not in the manual.

thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSeXy_Grl
what are the instructions? i'm not car savvy but i have a friend who can change mine. i just need the instructions. i have a 2006 tsx and it's not in the manual.

thanks.
Check out our FAQ section, under "Maintenance": https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24744

You will find a link to this DIY thread by davidspalding: https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/car-meet-houstonians-39992/
Old 02-26-2008, 04:22 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I tried replacing my cabin air filter also…inspired by this thread, lack of reading on my behalf I managed to break the ‘shock’ that compresses, and makes the glove compartment slide down easily. Anyone know how much the part would be or what part I am looking for? Would I be able to change this myself? Or is the dealer going to charge major $$.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GOOD LORD, those pictures are nasty. I wonder if mine has ever been changed, I just rolled over 40k. Hopefully Acura did it at my 30k service in 2006 but I don't know. I need to look in to this.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 PM
my acura sanctuary

25k and mine was Gray Gray Gray and black. More nastyness. Thanks for the info. Picking up Honda Accord filter tomorrow $25 at dealer. Online is cheaper but...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Although I'm only at 17k miles on my 06 TSX, it's 2 years old, so with a sale on Purolator BreathEasy filter ($20 reg, $16 on sale), I decided to replace mine.

Removal wasn't as easy as everyone said. Although I could get the left side stopper down, I couldn't do it with the right side. I didn't want to risk breaking it, so I ended up removing the 2 screws on the hinges, and basically removed the entire door. After that, no problem getting to the filter .
The filter was a little long, and didn't fit well (it looked like they literally just cut it down from a longer filter). Two snips with scissors, and it fit perfectly

Compared to the picture at the beginning of the thread, my filter was at least 50% darker, maybe close to twice as bad. I think in the future, at least for me, changing it every year might be more appropriate.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Although I'm only at 17k miles on my 06 TSX, it's 2 years old, so with a sale on Purolator BreathEasy filter ($20 reg, $16 on sale), I decided to replace mine.

Removal wasn't as easy as everyone said. Although I could get the left side stopper down, I couldn't do it with the right side. I didn't want to risk breaking it, so I ended up removing the 2 screws on the hinges, and basically removed the entire door. After that, no problem getting to the filter .
The filter was a little long, and didn't fit well (it looked like they literally just cut it down from a longer filter). Two snips with scissors, and it fit perfectly

Compared to the picture at the beginning of the thread, my filter was at least 50% darker, maybe close to twice as bad. I think in the future, at least for me, changing it every year might be more appropriate.

Jeff
Too bad you had trouble with the glove box door. It does need to to be muscled a little bit, but it's unlikely you'd break anything. Next time, try removing the stop on each side (it can be tough to squeeze the tabs holding each one in, but it's doable). Then you have to kind of fish each one out of the hole in the box side. Then snap out the arm on the door side of the glove box door that will actually keep the door from falling. Push it forward (it takes a good push, but it will snap out). Then the glove box door will fall until it's stopped by a safety cable attached somewhere behind it (if I remember correctly). I'm also surprised you had trouble with the filter fit. I've used a couple of different brands, and all have fit spot on. Are you sure you had it positioned properly? Also, make sure the flow is in the right direction. There should be a couple of arrows on the filter showing the direction of flow. Please don't think I'm inferring here that you have two left hands. You're right in stating that it's not as easy as some make it sound. But if you take your time and actually look at what you're doing, you should be able to complete this job without disassembling the glove box.

And I agree that it should be a yearly change. It may depend on where you live and how much you use the car, but certainly if you're anywhere where there's winter (like here in the North East), the winter dust alone will make a change every spring a good habit to get into.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Instructor

The filter was definitely missized. There was maybe a 1/16" of border at the end (without filter between it) that caused it to go in so tight originally, it caused that top portion of the filter to 'V' (bend inward) in order to fit. Once I trimmed that off, it was fine. Maybe I'll try a different brand next time, and see if it goes in smoothly.

I had read most of the posts first on the glove box removal, and even though I had no problems with the left side, I just couldn't get the right side in enough to get the stopper past the opening. I'm sure it took longer to pull off the door(really align it when I put it back on) than someone might be able to just bend it out. On the other hand, I knew the risk of breakage was almost nil my way, vs a definite possibility if I kept trying to bend it.

I live in a city, and have a mix of city and highway driving, but I didn't think it was that bad to make the filter that dirty (I still have it, I'll see if I can upload a picture of it.

Also, one suggestion was to put a dryer sheet on the filter to provide a nice smell for the car. Originally I thought that might be a good idea, but seeing how dirty my filter was, and obviously how important every square inch of filter material was, I didn't want to do that.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
The filter was definitely missized. There was maybe a 1/16" of border at the end (without filter between it) that caused it to go in so tight originally, it caused that top portion of the filter to 'V' (bend inward) in order to fit. Once I trimmed that off, it was fine. Maybe I'll try a different brand next time, and see if it goes in smoothly.

I had read most of the posts first on the glove box removal, and even though I had no problems with the left side, I just couldn't get the right side in enough to get the stopper past the opening. I'm sure it took longer to pull off the door(really align it when I put it back on) than someone might be able to just bend it out. On the other hand, I knew the risk of breakage was almost nil my way, vs a definite possibility if I kept trying to bend it.

I live in a city, and have a mix of city and highway driving, but I didn't think it was that bad to make the filter that dirty (I still have it, I'll see if I can upload a picture of it.

Also, one suggestion was to put a dryer sheet on the filter to provide a nice smell for the car. Originally I thought that might be a good idea, but seeing how dirty my filter was, and obviously how important every square inch of filter material was, I didn't want to do that.

Jeff
I agree with a dryer sheet permitting less air flow. Also, my experience with using one for fragrance has been that it will last a couple of days at best.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by subdued
25k and mine was Gray Gray Gray and black. More nastyness. Thanks for the info. Picking up Honda Accord filter tomorrow $25 at dealer. Online is cheaper but...
Waste of money IMHO. I just got a charcoal impregnated filter (ATP HA5, $22; YMMV) for less than Honda dealers charge for a US-made micronAir particulate filter.

From what I've seen, the Wix, Purolator (sp?) and Napa filters are fine. And FWIW, I'm finding that changing the filter every 6,000 miles is a Good Thing.
... The filter was a little long, and didn't fit well (it looked like they literally just cut it down from a longer filter). Two snips with scissors, and it fit perfectly
That sounds ... . All the filters I've seen fit like a glove. I wonder if you got the wrong part. Check my DIY post, all the part numbers have been double-checked with the manufacturers' sites.
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I agree with a dryer sheet permitting less air flow. Also, my experience with using one for fragrance has been that it will last a couple of days at best.
Don't those things release some wax or some kind of "softener?" I don't think I want that going into my blower/heater unit. (IIRC, the air flow from the filter shows air going into the blower after passing through the filter. Correct me if I'm wrong, old chum.)
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
www.acuraautomotiveparts.org has the TSX one for $30.76 and the TL one for $16.21.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Advanced

I just replaced mine with the accord filter @ 26k mi. Just about $25 from honda.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn that looks really bad. It should have been changed sooner than that.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by npolite
www.acuraautomotiveparts.org has the TSX one for $30.76 and the TL one for $16.21.
I understand that the Acura filter for the Japan-built TSX is by micronAir Europe (so it's imported), the TL/Accord filters are made by micronAir US. Same filter basically. UNLESS the TSX one was micronAir's "combi" charcoal impregnated model.

Pay $30.76 only if you like telling passengers "your cabin air is continentally scented."

Daaaaaang, Si2TSX, that's one ugly filter. I'll bet your blower is working a lot better/quieter now.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I understand that the Acura filter for the Japan-built TSX is by micronAir Europe (so it's imported), the TL/Accord filters are made by micronAir US. Same filter basically. UNLESS the TSX one was micronAir's "combi" charcoal impregnated model.

Pay $30.76 only if you like telling passengers "your cabin air is continentally scented."

Daaaaaang, Si2TSX, that's one ugly filter. I'll bet your blower is working a lot better/quieter now.
thats was pretty nasty. I have my A/C on almost 95% of time
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by npolite
Damn that looks really bad. It should have been changed sooner than that.
it was just recommended by acura to be changed
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Just replaced mine this weekend. Bought the Honda filter for $21. Took me less than 10 minutes, and I'm a girl... My car has about 50 K on it and it looked pretty nasty...
Old 05-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Hi,

I replaced my cabin air filter ..thanks a lot to this thread..

And is there another filter "Air Cleaner Element" ?? I tried to open the Box that is next to the batter (towards the Brake fluid tank) and one of the bolt i couldn't urscrew ..Is there a filter in it ??

Thanks
Mars
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM
2004 Acura TSX

I've got mine replaced today. Grabbed one at my local Acura dealer for $30 CAD.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by mars
Hi,

I replaced my cabin air filter ..thanks a lot to this thread..

And is there another filter "Air Cleaner Element" ?? I tried to open the Box that is next to the batter (towards the Brake fluid tank) and one of the bolt i couldn't urscrew ..Is there a filter in it ??

Thanks
Mars
Yes. AKA "engine air filter." Download the 2004 manual (linked from the FAQ for online manuals), it tells you how.