Warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped rotors

Hello,

I'm just curious as to what EXACTLY causes the rotors to warp on the first gen Acura TSX's? Last night I had a deer run out in front of me. I immediately slammed on the brakes (and I could feel the ABS kick in). Anyway's, I was able to avoid the deer, but I immediately let off the brakes after I had to slam on them. I was hoping that by letting them cool off without stopping and letting the caliper rest on the rotor in one spot, that would help prevent them from warping from this incident. Anyway's, if anyone could give me some suggestions on how to avoid this issue, that would be great. Also, will slamming on the brakes like I had to do last night cause them to warp?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prolonged friction of the pad against the rotor heats the rotor past its "elastic limit".

The elastic limit is the maximum stress that can be applied to a metal without producing permanent deformation. When external forces act upon a material they tend to form internal stresses within it which cause deformation. If the stresses are not too great the material will return to its original shape and dimension when the external stress is removed.

Some people say that keeping the brake depressed after passing that limit causes the rotor to cool unevenly over the areas still having pressure applied to them buy the caliper.

Bla Bla Bla thermal expansion and what not. lol

But i don't think that one quick slam on the brakes would cause this , usually high speeds and heavy braking are the cause.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This isn't a brake warp issue, it is a pad issue. You need to search. Super cooling, like deep water or snow packing will cause a rotor to warp.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:31 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My rotors slightly warped when I was driving down a very steep hill. Before I made it to the bottom of the hill I had to make a right turn onto another road. I had to drive thru a puddle of cold water. Did not give the brakes a change to cool down slowly. Bmw's are prone to warped rotors along with many other brands (not just honda/acura)I have slammed on my brakes on numerous occasions and the brakes did not warp.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Advanced

mine are definitely warped =(
you can just feel it in the steering wheel and the bottom at times when ur braking at high speeds =/ big brake kit!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Racer

this has been covered before. the rotors themselves aren't warped, it's the shitty OEM brakes and the deposits they leave on the rotors cause an uneven surface and the shaking while braking at high speeds happens. it's happening to mine right now.

when you get it serviced, they will then resurface the rotors getting rid of the deposits. at that point you should install high quality aftermarket brakes.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:31 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by alucardx
this has been covered before. the rotors themselves aren't warped, it's the shitty OEM brakes and the deposits they leave on the rotors cause an uneven surface and the shaking while braking at high speeds happens. it's happening to mine right now.

when you get it serviced, they will then resurface the rotors getting rid of the deposits. at that point you should install high quality aftermarket brakes.
The rotors on my 06 did warp-not because of the brake pads. I still have the original brake pads. The rotors warped when I drove thru a puddle of cold water after driving down a steep hill and having to make a sharp right turn. (speed limit on the hill was 50)