VTEC rattling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is cavitation, the noise you hear is not fluid flow but mini-shockwaves caused by the collapse of the voids (bubbles) created by cavitation. I agree that it has a metallic sound but the cavitation explanation seems the best fit for the problem I've heard yet.

It also makes sense given that we know cavitation occurs under high pressure/RPMs, and certainly that condition happens in the TSX's motor. Also, if it's loose parts that tighten up, I wouldn't expect such an instantaneous stoppage/starting of the sound when you switch things to "lo". To me the explanation that it's either running things through the heater core or not makes sense.

In any case, I feel less worried about the noise than I did before learning this stuff about turning off the heater. If it is cavitation, it's happening in the water pump and only infrequently. Still, it's obviously a problem and I'm going to bring it up with dealer again at my next service visit (they've made good faith efforts to fix it so far.)
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by junktionfet
...Is it possible that your engine is pinging? Mine goes through phases where it pings quite a bit, though sometimes it is hard to discern at high RPM. The pinging does go away in short order because of the timing correction algorithm in the ECU. I realize some pinging is considered normal, but this stretches above and beyond that in my opinion. I attribute it to the low-evaporation crappy gasoline we have to use locally....
I hear something rattling at light throttle (and especially transitioning from light throttle to heavier throttle) at lower RPM, especially around 3000 RPM or so -- even cruising on the highway. However, it just sounds like valve noise to me rather than pinging.

Also, I hear the same noise -- slightly different quality, but still it's the same thing making the noise -- even going downhill with zero throttle and some engine braking effect, so it can't possibly be pinging in this case.

Dealer listened to it and said it was normal (all TSX's sound like that)...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

It is not normal, it's just consistent.

The noise I'm hearing is almost certainly not engine knocking/pinging. I use 93 octane gas, the noise only happens when the heater is running, and it comes from the passenger footwell area (as opposed to the engine area.) Also, I've had my car out with Acura techs 4 times, each time they heard it and did not say it was engine pinging.

I can't say for sure it's cavitation in the heater but it's the best explanation so far, IMHO anyway.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rb1
I hear something rattling at light throttle (and especially transitioning from light throttle to heavier throttle) at lower RPM, especially around 3000 RPM or so -- even cruising on the highway. However, it just sounds like valve noise to me rather than pinging.

Also, I hear the same noise -- slightly different quality, but still it's the same thing making the noise -- even going downhill with zero throttle and some engine braking effect, so it can't possibly be pinging in this case.

Dealer listened to it and said it was normal (all TSX's sound like that)...
Been reading this thread with interest. I have the similar noise from behind the glovebox area. It also occurs at lower RPMs similar to the above post.

Any updates on this?
Thus far I have two noises, a whining noise per discussed here and on the net and this one.

Thanks,