Uneven Lowering Issues/Fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uneven Lowering Issues/Fixes?

I got my car lowered lowered about a month ago with Eibach ProKit and Tokico Blue Gas Shocks. It rides smooth and nice except I noticed the steering wheel was tilted to the right side a little bit while driving. If i correct it and center the steering wheel the car literally glides to the left side of the road. I had it alligned twice now (waited for the springs to settle) and still has the same problem. So finally today, I went to an Acura Dealership and tried to have them take a look at it. There findings was the car is sitting 1/2 lower on the left side (front and rear) than the right side thus the reason the car is pulling to the left. They suggested for me to bring it back to the person that lowered the car for me. I am getting a hold of the shop right now thinking that they could have flip-flopped the springs or did not cut all the bumpstops.

My question is do you guys think they had the right diagnosis??? It kind of made sense when they explained it to me but figured I would ask the experts on this forum. Any thoughts????
Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Destrejc
I got my car lowered lowered about a month ago with Eibach ProKit and Tokico Blue Gas Shocks. It rides smooth and nice except I noticed the steering wheel was tilted to the right side a little bit while driving. If i correct it and center the steering wheel the car literally glides to the left side of the road. I had it alligned twice now (waited for the springs to settle) and still has the same problem. So finally today, I went to an Acura Dealership and tried to have them take a look at it. There findings was the car is sitting 1/2 lower on the left side (front and rear) than the right side thus the reason the car is pulling to the left. They suggested for me to bring it back to the person that lowered the car for me. I am getting a hold of the shop right now thinking that they could have flip-flopped the springs or did not cut all the bumpstops.

My question is do you guys think they had the right diagnosis??? It kind of made sense when they explained it to me but figured I would ask the experts on this forum. Any thoughts????
I say install issue. Eibach is very good about matching spring sets since you have a some control on the coiling process. The best way to do this is with coilovers, but you can put the car on 4 scales (meant for balancing) and you can adjust each one to distribute the weight correctly across the front and rear independently since you'll almost never get a 50-50 in a street version.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moda_way
I say install issue. Eibach is very good about matching spring sets since you have a some control on the coiling process. The best way to do this is with coilovers, but you can put the car on 4 scales (meant for balancing) and you can adjust each one to distribute the weight correctly across the front and rear independently since you'll almost never get a 50-50 in a street version.
Is this issue fixable??
Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
maybe a 4 wheel alignment is in order?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the advice!! Took the car back to the same alignment shop but in a different location. Guys were nice and actually had me watch how they align the car. They put it up in the lift and come to find out everything was way off!!! i asked them how come the read outs the other guys have been giving me looked legit and he explained either the tech did not know what he was doing or their machine is jacked up!! They also fixed the steering wheel issue. It was just a matter of redadjusting my steering wheel column everytime they adjusted the car alignment from the bottom (It has to be centered at all times epecially when your yanking on it from the bottom.) Car drives straight and smooth now. Can't wait for a road trip!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

I was about to say...i think you would visibly notice if one side was lower than the other.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm...i should probably check my drop height also.

kinda have a similar problem. car dropped on basics, i got it aligned with the ingalls rear camber installed. first time, it was totally f'ed by this shop, pulled right. went to firestone, re-aligned, it was fine.

after a few weeks, it feels like it's starting to ever-so-slightly pull right again. i'll have to bust out the measuring tape.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
I was about to say...i think you would visibly notice if one side was lower than the other.
Yeah, thats why i found a very flat surface and parked and measured it myself. I dont have coilovers (spring/shock combo) and both sides were the same height! That made me take it back to Just Tires for another realignment. (I guess sometimes you just have to be anal about things in order to get them done right) I'm that type of person that doesn't trust anybody's opinions unless I see you proving it in plain sight.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
hmm...i should probably check my drop height also.

kinda have a similar problem. car dropped on basics, i got it aligned with the ingalls rear camber installed. first time, it was totally f'ed by this shop, pulled right. went to firestone, re-aligned, it was fine.

after a few weeks, it feels like it's starting to ever-so-slightly pull right again. i'll have to bust out the measuring tape.
The one thing you have to remember, and I talked about it once before (Marcus and JTso mentioned it), since this kit uses nuts to lock the Ingall adjusting rods in place, if they aren't tightened, they can come loose. My alignment guy (a trusted resource at Porsche) had to buy a specific crows foot just for doing my car. He said that one of the nuts is so difficult to get to that the crows foot was the only way. Of all the cars that he had to buy a new tool for... an 04 Acura TSX with Ingalls. lol Anyway, mention that to the techs that do your adjustment, otherwise they'll be seeing you again. I ruined a rear set of ES100s on a 1100 mile road trip months after my alignment b/c the Ingalls loosened up. Still say the Ingalls are a much better kit though once tightened down. No issues with alignment since the last one 1.5 yrs ago.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

I ruined a rear set of ES100s on a 1100 mile road trip months after my alignment b/c the Ingalls loosened up. Still say the Ingalls are a much better kit though once tightened down. No issues with alignment since the last one 1.5 yrs ago.
I think my Ingalls also loosened up after my first alignment, which caused my rear camber and toe to get all funked up.

I'm going to get a crows foot wrench to double check that the jam nuts were properly tightened this time (and every subsequent time I get an alignment). I believe that I'll need a 27mm or 1-1/6" crows foot. Can anybody confirm this?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one thing you have to remember, and I talked about it once before (Marcus and JTso mentioned it), since this kit uses nuts to lock the Ingall adjusting rods in place, if they aren't tightened, they can come loose. My alignment guy (a trusted resource at Porsche) had to buy a specific crows foot just for doing my car. He said that one of the nuts is so difficult to get to that the crows foot was the only way. Of all the cars that he had to buy a new tool for... an 04 Acura TSX with Ingalls. lol Anyway, mention that to the techs that do your adjustment, otherwise they'll be seeing you again. I ruined a rear set of ES100s on a 1100 mile road trip months after my alignment b/c the Ingalls loosened up. Still say the Ingalls are a much better kit though once tightened down. No issues with alignment since the last one 1.5 yrs ago.
thanks, modaway. i'll have have to check and see if that's the issue.

if the ingalls can't hold, i might just go back to the stock control arms and deal with the negative camber.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Destrejc
Yeah, thats why i found a very flat surface and parked and measured it myself. I dont have coilovers (spring/shock combo) and both sides were the same height! That made me take it back to Just Tires for another realignment. (I guess sometimes you just have to be anal about things in order to get them done right) I'm that type of person that doesn't trust anybody's opinions unless I see you proving it in plain sight.

Hey Destrejc,
Just wanted to know, now that you have your suspension issue resolved, how do you like your set-up? I'm thinking about going with the same spring/shock combo. Do you have any pics that show your drop?