Uncomfortable Front Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Uncomfortable Front Seats

We bought our TSX 5spAuto a month ago, after having test driven 3 of them. Both our front buckets were uncomfortable (lower back, seat bottom), and continue to be so even after dealer re-upholstered them. It seems the ergonomics are not right on these seats. Anyone else experiencing similar problems? If so, what strategies are you using?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:38 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i have to say that i used to feel the same way about the drivers seat. don't know about the passanger seat. but for the last couple of months it hasn't bothered me anymore. so now i don't mess with my seat adjustments anymore. so don't give up hope. i was about to even drop a couple Gs on some Sparco racing buckets just to solve the problem.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I have read about some other posters also complaining about the TSX front seats, but I actually find the driver's seat exceptionally comfortable. I wonder if the firm seats just don't agree with your body habitus? Are you someone who usually requires more or less lumbar support? I love a lot of lumbar support and that's why I think the TSX seats are great. Maybe your lower back doesn't like that? I think you need to figure out why it's uncomfortable first before you can actually use a specific strategy to improve the comfort level.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm reviving this old thread b/c after driving my brand new 05 TSX for about a hundred miles, the drivers seat is starting to bother me. I like lumbar support too, but it seems like the "lumbar" support is too high. It hits me in the thoracic (mid back) as opposed to the lumbar (low back) area. I'm hoping the dealer would be willing to take the seat cover off and put some additional padding in the lumbar region. As it stands right now, it's really keeping me from enjoying my 2 day old car.

Did anyone get this issue resolved? Or did you guys just get used to it? I feel like I should've bought a TL at this point.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Some of the things people complain about on this site are just ridiculous.......
Old 12-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Some of the things people complain about on this site are just ridiculous.......
You're absolutely correct. For example, YOUR complaint about people posting problems in the "Problems & Fixes" forum is
Old 12-08-2004, 02:13 AM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You're absolutely correct. For example, YOUR complaint about people posting problems in the "Problems & Fixes" forum is
Old 12-08-2004, 02:16 AM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I agree that my seats could be more comfortable, but i dont know what a fix would be. I'd be interested to see what the dealer said - doesn't hurt to ask.

as far as complaining about people complaining, that's dumb. He was asking a question about a previously posted issue that some people have noticed.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 AM
Tuxedo Cat

I don't have a problem, in fact, one of the reasons I bought the TSX over the other cars I was considering was that the car was the most comfortable one for me.

I think it's a matter of individual body size and style and don't know that there's much a dealer can do to fix it. Sort of like shoes.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Go Dutch !

Here in europe the seats of the EuroAccord have been praised in almost every test I've read. From personal experience (been driving around in my EuroAccord for almost 2 years now) I can say they're the best seats I've ever had in my cars. Are the seats in the EuroAccord different from the ones in the TSX maybe ? We e.g have a lever to adjust lower back support... Haven't seen any pics of seats on the forum.. I'll take a pic of mine and post for comparison tomorrow...
Old 12-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX
I don't have a problem, in fact, one of the reasons I bought the TSX over the other cars I was considering was that the car was the most comfortable one for me.

I think it's a matter of individual body size and style and don't know that there's much a dealer can do to fix it. Sort of like shoes.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

+ 1

It might have to do with Americans typically being larger than their European counterparts for which this car was originally designed.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

I like the seats quite a bit. They're pretty firm and comfortable for me.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Instructor

No complaints about my seats here
Old 12-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

to be honest.. I was uncomfortable when i test drove the tsx and when i drove my tsx home... but after a while i got use to it and it feels pretty comfortable to me.. find the right seat adjustment and you'll be fine...
Old 12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by Mokijoki
Here in europe the seats of the EuroAccord have been praised in almost every test I've read. From personal experience (been driving around in my EuroAccord for almost 2 years now) I can say they're the best seats I've ever had in my cars. Are the seats in the EuroAccord different from the ones in the TSX maybe ? We e.g have a lever to adjust lower back support... Haven't seen any pics of seats on the forum.. I'll take a pic of mine and post for comparison tomorrow...
They sound pretty much the same.

I learned (the hard way) several years back that "fit" has to be top of the list for items to consider when buying a car. Forget everything else and eliminate off the top any car that you're not comfortable in for 10-15 minutes. Inisist on sitting in one for at least that long, preferably when you're tired. Ideally, take one out for a long test drive, but that may not be possible.

I sold a car after 2 years of driving around with various pads because of fit issues, and learned my lesson.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Jewdacris!!

What gets me is wasnt any of this an issue during the test drive? If it was uncomfortable in the first place why buy the car.

Alter: any update on this? I doubt the dealer would re cushion the seat because its uncomfortable but i was wondering if you ahd any luck with this?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They sound pretty much the same.

I learned (the hard way) several years back that "fit" has to be top of the list for items to consider when buying a car. Forget everything else and eliminate off the top any car that you're not comfortable in for 10-15 minutes. Inisist on sitting in one for at least that long, preferably when you're tired. Ideally, take one out for a long test drive, but that may not be possible.

I sold a car after 2 years of driving around with various pads because of fit issues, and learned my lesson.
100%

Actually, the seat comfort in the TSX was one of the 5 combinations of things I was looking at when I bought the TSX.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AlterZgo

You deserve another block for that one!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer

You deserve another block for that one!
Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackTSX
What gets me is wasnt any of this an issue during the test drive? If it was uncomfortable in the first place why buy the car.

Alter: any update on this? I doubt the dealer would re cushion the seat because its uncomfortable but i was wondering if you ahd any luck with this?
You and VeniceBeachTSX are right. I should've spent more time just sitting in the car. I checked out the TSX on 2 occasions and test drove it once for about 10 minutes. I never noticed any problems during these times. I never expected that I would have a problem b/c I've always been very comfortable in the various Hondas I've driven (Civic, Prelude, Pilot, Integra, Legend). Unfortunately, I started having problems after I bought the car and drove it to work the next day (45 minute to 1 hr commute).

I'm waiting to hear back from the service manager. I haven't had a chance to call him again.

I think it depends on each individual dealer how much they will do to help a customer. With my last car, the Infiniti dealer was GREAT. They fixed every single thing I ever had an issue with and always gave me a loaner w/o my asking or reserving in advance. This was on a used Inifiniti G20 that I paid $12,800 for. On the Honda Pilot forum, there are a few members who have had Honda dealers take the seat upholstery off and add addt'l foam in for various issues. It's not that big of a hassle.

I'm expecting the Acura dealer to be at least as committed to customer satisfaction as the Infiniti dealer. But, if my dealer won't help resolve the issue, I'll either mess around with it myself or go to an upholstery shop on my own. My wife thinks I should just look for an aftermarket seat that fits me better.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Jewdacris!!

WEll good luck, the seats work for me...but im interested to see what the dealer does for you in your case so keeps us updated
Old 12-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, the service mgr at the dealership never called me back after I left a couple of messages so I took my car to an upholstery shop recommended by my friend. They took the seat out, shaved and added foam and shaped it to fit. They made adjustments and had me test the seat out several times before putting it all back together. Thankfully, now the seat feels fine and I'm happy with the car. It took about 3 hrs and cost $100. Well worth it for me.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely agree (I'm getting tired of agreeing with you!). This is an individual issue. I absolutely love the seats in the TSX, and find the car to be extremely comfortable. But, I can respect that others feel differently.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Racer

i agree... people complain about anything and everything. im surprised someone hasnt complained about how close or far the arm rest levers are. no problem having a complaint about the seats, but didnt you drive the car beforehand to test it for compatability issues like this?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Racer

sorry, but did you really ask the dealer to put extra padding in the lumbar area? i dont know how id react if a customer came in and asked me that
Old 12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
i agree... people complain about anything and everything. im surprised someone hasnt complained about how close or far the arm rest levers are. no problem having a complaint about the seats, but didnt you drive the car beforehand to test it for compatability issues like this?
Read the postings.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I do sometimes feel uncomfortable sitting for long drives, but then I think it's just me setting crooked... and I'm kind of a fidgety person.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Evil Empire Peon

I think the TSX was definitely made for "smaller" people.

I'm 5' 7" and around 140 lb. My body seems to flow right into the TSX's driver seat (after a little lumbar adjustment).

My friends, who are > 6', find the seats a little cramped - but then again, they find the entire car cramped.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Banned

Im 5'7...160ish ... I find the Drivers seat very comfortable... However once or twice ive been in the passenger seat, and where as no one else has compained, I really dont like the passenger seat at all, feels kinda like ur sitting on the ground compaired to my seat (I have it down all the way even) and the whole area just feels a little barren, Might just be some mental thing...Anyone else feel this way
Old 12-11-2004, 03:57 PM
White and Nerdy

Wife does mention that the passenger seat feels lower than the drivers, and is less comfy (she just saw this post and adds, "especially with high heeled shoes")

I love the TSX driver's seat, but I think alot depends on what kind of driving you are doing. I drive my TSX on commutes on busy highways where you need to be constantly aware of the jerks around you. In this kind of driving, I like to sit very upright, both hands on the wheel, etc. IMHO, the TSX is perfect for this kind of serious "high intensity" driving.

However, on long drives on trips, etc., I prefer to be able to shift my position more, as it does get uncomfortable sitting in the same position, no matter how comfy, for too long. Thus, I like to sit on a higher seat (like a "captain's chair" seat), which is why I like my CR-V or a minivan type seat for long trips - theres more ways you can sit and move your legs and body around so you don't get sore.

It all depends on what feels good on your butt....personally, mine is cracked and has a hole in it, but I hear that's pretty common...
Old 12-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Banned

although that last part was very wrong, as long as we mentioned it, anyone Else have alot of cracked look on the leather for the drivers seat, none of my other seats are bad, the drivers seat of course gets the most use
Old 12-15-2004, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

How about a small Tempurpedic lumbar pad for $10?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Race Director

, seats seem fine to me?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ruffturbo911
How about a small Tempurpedic lumbar pad for $10?
Where did you buy a tempurpedic lumbar pad for $10? I've seen them around for about $60-$80.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:45 PM
The Voice of Reason

I don't particularly like the TSX seats' lumbar support.

The JDM Accord Euro R comes with German Recaro seats which look like they might resolve some of the complaints.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:17 AM
5th Gear

Has anyone used a seat cover or something else to improve the seat support?
I recently bought a TSX and it wasn't until I went on a 100mile trip that I realized that the "lumbar" support wasn't quite in the lumbar region and was starting to cause problems. At one point in my previous car I had a seat thingy that felt great, but looked wrong. I was hoping someone had found something better.
PC
Old 08-15-2005, 07:01 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I find the adjustment of the seat, like up or down a pain. I can't get the seat leveled enough for my legs to rest in the chair and not like slide out in turns or hills.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Luke 1:37

The seats are very comfortable IMO, but I'm sure that the seats won't accomodate all body types.