type of motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:45 AM
05 AT Non-NAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
type of motor oil?

hello,

ive read too many posts and also have called myself, but still no definite answer. was wondering if anyone on here (experts with real(factual) knowledge or professionals only) know exactly which oil should be used???

oil cap states 5w30, manual states 5w30, acura says follow manual, honda says 5w20....

some posts from people say 20 is ok, or even better, some say its not, some say 30 is better, some say its not...

basically, which is it? im wondering because i took mine to a honda dealer to get an oil change because the price is 10 bux cheaper, said its the exact same filter and oil, as acuras, and also the honda dealer is 2 miles from my job vs. the acura dealer at 15 miles away. anyway, honda put in 5w20 and when i inquired, they said its what honda is now putting in. i called them back up and they stated that 30 is still ok, but 20 is now what they are told to put in and promised me there is practically no difference in the 20 vs 30, but told me 20 is better in winter and 30 is more for summer....

so with that info, can you guys that know for a fact, (not people that think you know please), let me know why people say so many different things? and provide some facts, and real answers/information??

thank you, Billy
Old 11-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by EveofNemesis
hello,

ive read too many posts and also have called myself, but still no definite answer. was wondering if anyone on here (experts with real(factual) knowledge or professionals only) know exactly which oil should be used???

oil cap states 5w30, manual states 5w30, acura says follow manual, honda says 5w20....

some posts from people say 20 is ok, or even better, some say its not, some say 30 is better, some say its not...

basically, which is it? im wondering because i took mine to a honda dealer to get an oil change because the price is 10 bux cheaper, said its the exact same filter and oil, as acuras, and also the honda dealer is 2 miles from my job vs. the acura dealer at 15 miles away. anyway, honda put in 5w20 and when i inquired, they said its what honda is now putting in. i called them back up and they stated that 30 is still ok, but 20 is now what they are told to put in and promised me there is practically no difference in the 20 vs 30, but told me 20 is better in winter and 30 is more for summer....

so with that info, can you guys that know for a fact, (not people that think you know please), let me know why people say so many different things? and provide some facts, and real answers/information??

thank you, Billy

Use what is on the oil cap. Unless you live in a very cold climate you do not want to use 5-20w. 5-30W provides better protection in normal climates. My Miata recommends 5-20w and that is what I will use in the winter, but come summer I will switch to 5-30W. 5-20W is only recommended so car companys can meet the new cafe standards. Thin oil, better MPG. It helps them but not you.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
the w in 5w20 stands for Winter, not weight. The number before the w is the viscosity when it is cold, and the number after it is it's viscosity in normal operating temperature. So the cold vs. warm climate debate would be between 5w30 versus 10w30. In cold weather, you want the oil to flow more freely which is why car manufacturers recommend the 5w30. However, older cars might recommend 10w30 because they need to leave a protective layer on the internal components.

Now the next question is what's the difference between 5w20 and 5w30. As noted previously, the latter number is the viscosity once the oil has reached the operating temperature. The 30 is obviously thicker. Why are car manufacturers starting to use 20? The answer is that the clearances have become smaller. You don't want a thick oil interfering with your oil flow and increasing oil pressure. It's okay when the engine is old and has worn down...the clearances are larger.

To answer the original question, it's best to follow the oil cap. It states what the engineers deemed necessary when the engine was produced. You don't want to apply rules to a current product to an older product. The dealership won't want to stock 5w30, 10w30, 5w20, etc. That'll take up too much storage space. Instead, they will want to stock one or two types only. They put in the oil they had available. Will 5w20 work in your car? Sure, it's thin enough to get through all the small gaps. In fact, the more of a difference between the first and second number will indicate more oil and less additives (viscosity modifiers).

Perhaps the Honda 07's use thinner oil because the clearances are much smaller than your pre-07 Acura. I don't think you have to worry about it causing problems, but I'm not sure if it'd be too thin than what the Acura engineers had desired (ie: would it be too thin to provide protection?) I wouldn't abuse the engine too much until your next oil change.

Why are recommendations so varied between people? It's because technology has changed quite a bit in the last few years. For example, before multi-weight oils, cars had to swap oil when the temperature changed. Now, we can drive cross-country from a sunny state to a snowy state without stopping to change our oil. Older cars need a protective film provided by thicker oils, but cars are now being built with very tight clearances that will be hurt by thicker oils. All you need to know is what your engine's engineers designed your car to use, and use it.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^ Very well said, and I
Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
05 AT Non-NAV

thank you for your reply, but you see now you contradicted the 2nd post because he said 5w20 is better for winter as i heard it was, you say the 5 is cold running temp so the 20 or 30 doesnt really matter.... i would lean toward your post because you provided details and a lot of information... but see why im confused... i asked for factual or expert information and now i receive 2 different thoughts.....

but ultimatly, you both agree i should follow the cap... which i thought to do also, but i didnt know honda was going to put in 20... after seeing that on my bill is when i started to try and find info on this and came up with all sorts of mixed opinions and is why i posted on here for professional or factual information...

i had the right idea but confused me more after reading more about it.

but if anyone else reads this post.... who has used 20 and thinks its better? if so why...

Billy
Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I've looked into it a little myself. 5w-20 is lower viscosity than 5w-30 and, therefore, could provide for easier starts in very cold weather. Being lower viscosity, it's also less-than-ideal at more moderate ambient temps -- spring and fall, not to mention summer. It may be that 5w- or 10w-40 is best for hot summer.

5w-30 seems the best compromise, which, I suppose, is why it's become so ubiquitous. The move to 5w-20 appears to provide a slight improvement in gas mileage with an eye on CAFE standards -- although it sounds like, at best, it may improve gas mileage by 1%.

I'd have concerns over engine life, all things being equal, using 20-wt vs 30-wt in your TSX, esp. year-round. If you're going to use it only in winter, and/or you aren't going to keep your car past, say, 70k miles, it's probably no big deal. If you're going to keep your car a long time, and don't want to jockey viscosities w/ seasons, I'd stick with 5w-30 and tell the Honda guys to screw off. If you don't want to change it yourself, I'm sure there is no shortage of oil-change shops around you who will put in whatever you want.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Driver/Detailer

First viscosity rating is tested at 0ºF, the 2nd number at 212ºF. So the 1st rating is important when you first start your car in the morning in winter. The 2nd rating is important when your engine is at operating temperature (no matter winter or summer).

When in summer, you don't reach 0ºF, so the 1st rating is not as vital as the 2nd rating.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:52 PM
05 AT Non-NAV

ok, so some of the posts i read... that people have been saying 5w20 is not worse than 30 is wrong then? 20 will get "better" gas mileage but lessen engine life? which of course i do have a concern about... next time i get it changed i will demand 30 then... but do i keep 20 for winter or is 30 just as well?

thanx again for the info... i know its not the end of the world to put 20 or 30 but it was confusing the hell out of me after reading all these mixed opinions...

Billy
Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
the w in 5w20 stands for Winter, not weight. The number before the w is the viscosity when it is cold, and the number after it is it's viscosity in normal operating temperature. So the cold vs. warm climate debate would be between 5w30 versus 10w30. In cold weather, you want the oil to flow more freely which is why car manufacturers recommend the 5w30. However, older cars might recommend 10w30 because they need to leave a protective layer on the internal components.

Now the next question is what's the difference between 5w20 and 5w30. As noted previously, the latter number is the viscosity once the oil has reached the operating temperature. The 30 is obviously thicker. Why are car manufacturers starting to use 20? The answer is that the clearances have become smaller. You don't want a thick oil interfering with your oil flow and increasing oil pressure. It's okay when the engine is old and has worn down...the clearances are larger.

To answer the original question, it's best to follow the oil cap. It states what the engineers deemed necessary when the engine was produced. You don't want to apply rules to a current product to an older product. The dealership won't want to stock 5w30, 10w30, 5w20, etc. That'll take up too much storage space. Instead, they will want to stock one or two types only. They put in the oil they had available. Will 5w20 work in your car? Sure, it's thin enough to get through all the small gaps. In fact, the more of a difference between the first and second number will indicate more oil and less additives (viscosity modifiers).

Perhaps the Honda 07's use thinner oil because the clearances are much smaller than your pre-07 Acura. I don't think you have to worry about it causing problems, but I'm not sure if it'd be too thin than what the Acura engineers had desired (ie: would it be too thin to provide protection?) I wouldn't abuse the engine too much until your next oil change.

Why are recommendations so varied between people? It's because technology has changed quite a bit in the last few years. For example, before multi-weight oils, cars had to swap oil when the temperature changed. Now, we can drive cross-country from a sunny state to a snowy state without stopping to change our oil. Older cars need a protective film provided by thicker oils, but cars are now being built with very tight clearances that will be hurt by thicker oils. All you need to know is what your engine's engineers designed your car to use, and use it.

I am sure no damage will ocur from going from 5-20-30. Example, the 06 maita calls for 5-20 in the states and 5-30 in Europe. Exact same motor here as there. Reason, Cafe standards. Has nothing to to with tight tolerances. Cheap way to meet fleet gas mileage without spending money.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The 5w-20's are just as good in 99.99% of cases, at protecting the engine, than a similar 5w-30.

Use what is recommended by Honda/Acura, period. Why argue with them on something like this? Change the oil at recommended intervals (not based on how black it is, etc...), and use a good quality recommended-weight oil... and you shouldn't have problems for a long, LONG time, if ever.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:43 PM
05 AT Non-NAV

Originally Posted by curls
The 5w-20's are just as good in 99.99% of cases, at protecting the engine, than a similar 5w-30.

Use what is recommended by Honda/Acura, period. Why argue with them on something like this? Change the oil at recommended intervals (not based on how black it is, etc...), and use a good quality recommended-weight oil... and you shouldn't have problems for a long, LONG time, if ever.
if you read more carefully, its honda arguing with acura, acura says follow manual which is 5w30, i took it to honda, which is the maker of acuras, they put in 5w20, which is why i questioned it... i didnt know they were going to put in 20, i found out by seeing the bill, i started to question. so its strange that honda and acura, which are the same, do not agree with each other... thats why i wanted to hear some expert/professional opinions and information.

Billy
Old 11-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Driver/Detailer

ok, so some of the posts i read... that people have been saying 5w20 is not worse than 30 is wrong then? 20 will get "better" gas mileage but lessen engine life? which of course i do have a concern about... next time i get it changed i will demand 30 then... but do i keep 20 for winter or is 30 just as well?

thanx again for the info... i know its not the end of the world to put 20 or 30 but it was confusing the hell out of me after reading all these mixed opinions...

Billy
I'd prefer 5w-30 all year around, as that is specced by Acura. From what I remember, auto makers were pushing for 5w-20 oils because they could quote lower fuel consumption numbers.

Your engine won't fail as 5w-20 is one of the accepted viscosities written in your TSX manual, so don't worry.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
if you read more carefully, its honda arguing with acura, acura says follow manual which is 5w30, i took it to honda, which is the maker of acuras, they put in 5w20, which is why i questioned it... i didnt know they were going to put in 20, i found out by seeing the bill, i started to question. so its strange that honda and acura, which are the same, do not agree with each other... thats why i wanted to hear some expert/professional opinions and information.

Billy
I believe it's the RSX-S that takes a 5w-30 but the RSX (non-type-S) calls for a 5w-20. Why? My GUESS is that the higher revving engine in the Type-S (similar to the TSX's K24 vs. the Element, for example), calls for a slightly thicker oil to protect it.

Are you going to damage the engine by using a 20-weight? No... but again, stick with recommended when possible, but don't sweat havint 20-wt. in there once in a while.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:07 PM
4th Gear

Question

Dude are you just stupid??? Use what is reccomended on the oil cap! And like someone already explained to you there is absolutely no difference between 5w30 and 5w20 in cold weather! Both have a cold start of 5!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 AM
05 AT Non-NAV

Originally Posted by sampadre
Dude are you just stupid??? Use what is reccomended on the oil cap! And like someone already explained to you there is absolutely no difference between 5w30 and 5w20 in cold weather! Both have a cold start of 5!!!
thanx for reitterating what someone already said, and again, "HONDA" put in 20!!!! not me, so dont call me stupid u asswipe
Old 11-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Driver/Detailer

Check your oil level more often. The thinner oil tends to get burnt quicker.