TSX Navi gone dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Navi gone dead

I am on vacation in New Orleans for the week. I was driving along when all of the sudden I heard two beeps from the speakers. I looked down at the nav screen "There has been an error reading the DVD disc, please contact your dealer". I thought it was a simple, reboot and check. I turned the car off and back on...same error. I drove along and called my dealer back in Arlington, TX. He said it might need to be rebooted. This means unhooking the battery cable. I pull into an Autozone, borrow a set of pliers and pull off the cable. I wait 4 minutes just to be safe. I pop it back on. The screen says it was "downloading software please wait". A few seconds later it states "please check your disc". That's where I stand. I stopped by the local dealer who didn't seem to care much. They had my car for an hour, took a disc out of a new TSX and said it still didn't work and that the problem must be with the nav unit in the trunk. He didn't offer to yank one off a new TSX (mine is 1 month 3 days old). I am now stuck going back to the old foldable map. Is this common? The screen is totally unusable now, it just says "please check your disc" no buttons respond beyond FM/XM/CD. I bought the car for our weekend/travel car. My last car (2003 Toyota Matrix) had a nav and never missed a beat. The same for my wife's Prius. Any help would be appreciated. We are 1/2 way through our driving vacation through the south.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

wow this sucks sorry to hear that.
pretty sure you're the first case ever reported here.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:35 PM
kenstyle on 20's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had that happen to me the dealership swapped out the brain in the back and now its back to the way it was before trouble , david
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would insist that they at least take the disc out of a new tsx and stick it into your car just to see if that's the problem. If not, you should insist that they replace the unit. You should be under warranty across the entire us. You can always try a different dealer along the way when you're driving through your trip.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i would assume that no matter which dealer you take it too they should honor the warranty and take care of the problem...
Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Racer

I agree, any dealer in the US should honor the warranty since it is an Acura problem. Im really sorry to hear about that happening especially while you are traveling in the car.

Hopefully the AC controls are still accessible this time of year?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Alin10123
I would insist that they at least take the disc out of a new tsx and stick it into your car just to see if that's the problem. If not, you should insist that they replace the unit. You should be under warranty across the entire us. You can always try a different dealer along the way when you're driving through your trip.

He did that, and you would have known had you read more than the first couple of sentences.

It looks like it is time for a new Navi brain.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
He did that, and you would have known had you read more than the first couple of sentences.

It looks like it is time for a new Navi brain.
people need to read/listen more than just post/talk.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Got Phó?

Dealer sucks for this one, go demand that your Navi get FIX. YOu paid to much to get bounce around.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Cruisin'

The Navi will get fixed, however I won't be in any city long enough for a dealer to order the part and then install it. The repair will wait until I get back to Dallas.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It sounds like the DVD drive took a dump. Otheriwise it would think there was a disc in there. Sorry, man, that would suck.

Those DVD drives are a lot tougher than the PC ones, so they have a lot lower failure rate... on the whole.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:36 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Read your paperwork
if the car service disrupts your trip acura will reimburse you

call up corporate and tell them your stuck in the middle of nowhere
need immediate assistance and have acura fit the bill

Old 06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Faster, please.

Originally Posted by Type X
Read your paperwork
if the car service disrupts your trip acura will reimburse you

call up corporate and tell them your stuck in the middle of nowhere
need immediate assistance and have acura fit the bill

I agree. Acura is a business just like any other and getting people from place to place in their cars is their business. They should bend over backwards to keep you happy when you have a legitimate problem with their business.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:17 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by daddydliv
I agree. Acura is a business just like any other and getting people from place to place in their cars is their business. They should bend over backwards to keep you happy when you have a legitimate problem with their business.

I am at work so i dont have any paperwork in front of me
but i read something at the dealer that if a trip is ruined or your stuck somewhere
they will reimburse the hotel and some expenses etc etc

SO if your on a road trip i would

Call acura
sched an emergency service appt
while that is going on

have acura put you up in a hotel & dinner etc
they MIGHT have you submit your receipts after the fact BUT

call and find out

if you want later i will post exactly what it says but
be our guinea pig
Old 07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Cruisin'

Finally fixed. I brought my car into Vandergriff Acura in Arlington, TX on Thursday June 23rd. They said it would be 7-10 days to get the part on paper. The service manager stated the wherehouse was in Irving, TX (read 15 miles away) and it would probably arrive within 5 days. After 13 days of hearing nada I called them. He stated the part arrived the day before and that they are ready to install it. I asked to make an appointment for Saturday as they are open. No can do, he can't get a tech there to install it on a weekend. I then make the appointment for 7 AM Monday. I asked how long it would take, he stated under 2 hours. The car was done in 1 hour and 50 minutes from the time I dropped it off. I seriously doubt it's a difficult repair. I fix computers for a living (I work for NCR, I fix computers, servers and printers just about everywhere you shop) and imagine they took the disc out of the old unit, took out the old unit, plugged the new unit it and installed the DVD. Hmm they probably yanked the battery cable and also reattached it. I won't be going back there for repairs or service....well beyond my first free oil change. This is my first Honda/Acura. All of my other cars were Saturns, a Ford Explorer, a Cadillac Catera and most recently a Toyota Matrix. All save the Cadillac were never in the shop this early in the game. Knock on wood this is the last time for a while.

Oh and I doubt Acura would have paid for any part of my trip, my car wasn't disabled, it just had a missing feature.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daddydliv
hm... my car alarm was screwed up and couldn't be turned off, so basically couldn't drive my car back home from work. The local dealership (closest to my workplace) told me that I've to call Roadside Assistance to take my car to their dealership and then there's no loaner nor anyone to bring me home...

Jac
Old 07-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpooncanada
hm... my car alarm was screwed up and couldn't be turned off, so basically couldn't drive my car back home from work. The local dealership (closest to my workplace) told me that I've to call Roadside Assistance to take my car to their dealership and then there's no loaner nor anyone to bring me home...

Jac
lol...that's some funny stuff.......so much for the TLC package services eh?
damn....some Acura dealer managers are really jackasses