TSX Defects

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Stuck in Purgatory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Defects

As a soon-to-be TSX owner, I'd like to gather a list of the "defects" or problems that owners have experienced so far regarding materials/workmanship, so I can look out for them. (I am not really interested in personal opinions of aspects of the car, such as crappy speakers for the radio.)

So far, I have gathered three problems that have affected multiple owners:

1. Water getting into headlight assembly / foggy headlights
2. Rattles in door lock areas
3. "Grinding" or unsmooth power seat movement

Any others (I hope not)?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This sounds like a perfect post for the new forum section. In fact ... I suggest the response to this to be a separate thread to discuss each problem.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:48 PM
More On

First off, I'm not sure #1 is that common; I think it's not.

Other things that have been mentioned a bit:

-- The doors are hinged in a way that they can close on you pretty harshly. ("Killer doors," I've called them.) I don't know that we'd call this a defect, but I'm going to see if this can be adjusted.

-- Mudguards seem to be prone to coming loose too easily; not sure about it though.

-- Navi has a couple of things that we might or might not call glitches.

-- Some people complain that the driver seat position slips during hard acceleration or braking.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I think it's safe to say there have been no major problems of any kind.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

anyone get a clicking type sound coming from somewhere near the center of the dash?...only happens when i'm on 'rough' roads, but it is persistent.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by junc02
anyone get a clicking type sound coming from somewhere near the center of the dash?...only happens when i'm on 'rough' roads, but it is persistent.
No clicking from CentCom, but my 01 Accord did exactly that. Never was able to get rid of it!!

TSXKid
Old 07-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Stuck in Purgatory

Ah yes, I do remember reading about 1 or 2 people who had the "freezing navi" syndrome. I assume that this is a very rare problem (please correct me if I'm wrong). It is of concern to me because I am getting a TSX with navigation.

I know that GeorgeTSX had the "water in the headlight" problem, but according to other posts from the "dark side," I thought a few other owners reported it as well.

Is the driver seat slipping during braking/acceleration connected to the grinding/unsmooth seat operation, or are they two different things with two different causes?

I agree that there are no major problems with the TSX, although it wouldn't be safe for my seat to slip/move while I'm driving. I guess if the car is well-built, the bar gets raised and we start looking for the smaller problems.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In reguards to the clicking noise in the dash, try listen to the tweeter on the passenger side. Try to apply pressure on the tweeter when you're on rough pavement and see if it'll go away. I found my clicking was related to the tweeter. All you need to do is pry it out with a screw driver (with electrical tape on the end of the screw driver tip). Then all I did was adjusted the clip and applied some foam tape to the loose area. It seems to be holding up good so far. I however do have a random clicking noise from the back. I can't figure out where it is. Sounds like the rear left part of the window/windshield hitting the pastic molding, it's almost like a static clicking sound. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another clicking sound that I get is from the moonroof. It's not too bad because it only comes on when I open the tilt function all the way. It only recently came on after 2000km on my car. It sound almost exactly like a light static shock. It only happens when I close the roof totally then open it totally. Anybody experience this?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Nuclear
Another clicking sound that I get is from the moonroof. It's not too bad because it only comes on when I open the tilt function all the way. It only recently came on after 2000km on my car. It sound almost exactly like a light static shock. It only happens when I close the roof totally then open it totally. Anybody experience this?
welcome, nuclear! Sounds like you are in the industry.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:29 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Speed Demon
Ah yes, I do remember reading about 1 or 2 people who had the "freezing navi" syndrome. I assume that this is a very rare problem (please correct me if I'm wrong). It is of concern to me because I am getting a TSX with navigation.

I know that GeorgeTSX had the "water in the headlight" problem, but according to other posts from the "dark side," I thought a few other owners reported it as well.

Is the driver seat slipping during braking/acceleration connected to the grinding/unsmooth seat operation, or are they two different things with two different causes?

I agree that there are no major problems with the TSX, although it wouldn't be safe for my seat to slip/move while I'm driving. I guess if the car is well-built, the bar gets raised and we start looking for the smaller problems.
I do have the navi freeze about once a week. But I found out that if I do not touch the screen until it reaches the "stable state" where the screen reach the OK button, it should be fine. Also, the driver seat tends to slide. I report this to my dealer and they said that it's normal for all TSX?? Anybody has any comment about this?
Old 07-15-2003, 12:56 AM
More On

Originally posted by w_piti
I do have the navi freeze about once a week. But I found out that if I do not touch the screen until it reaches the "stable state" where the screen reach the OK button, it should be fine. Also, the driver seat tends to slide. I report this to my dealer and they said that it's normal for all TSX?? Anybody has any comment about this?
About the navi -- why would you WANT to touch the screen before the OK button appears?

About the other thing -- I'm no expert, but I have no hesitation in saying the dealer is full of it. How could something that's clearly abnormal be "normal"?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:00 AM
More On

Originally posted by Speed Demon
......Is the driver seat slipping during braking/acceleration connected to the grinding/unsmooth seat operation, or are they two different things with two different causes?......
I don't think we know, but it appears they are two separate problems.

I have the "grinding/unsmooth" seat adjustment problem (I think I was the first to report it), but not the other problem. Besides, the grinding thing just doesn't seem like a kind of thing that would be related to a slipping problem. But I suppose it could be.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Speed Demon had the right idea, so right that it is a whole forum section now (it was there before, just had to unhide it). So I am going to close this so everyone can post individual problems per thread.