TSX "creaking" or "knocking" on acceleration / deceleration? Read this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:28 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX "creaking" or "knocking" on acceleration / deceleration? Read this!

I started having a strange creaking to a knocking noise coming from around the front driver's side tire. I have seen several posts regarding similar strange noises coming from the same areas, but no determination even from the dealerships. I finally took my car into the local Acura dealer to have it looked at as it was starting to really annoy me, plus I didn't want the car to fall apart while doing 100Mph on the freeway. The original diagnosis was that the control arm was going bad, possibly a bad bushing or something. The dealer got the part in, but once replaced the noise still continued. After another day of scratching their heads, they ended up determining that there was a "h" frame bent up into the car which was rubbing against the motor mounts and some other things. Supposedly there are hooks that hang low to the ground (behing those black tabs you see under the engine) that are connected to this "h" frame. The dealer's diagnosis for a root cause was I hit something. After I explained that I was not that reckless of a driver..... He suggested that since those hooks hang low enough, he thinks that possibly bottoming out from a driveway skirt, maybe bumping into a parking curb, or even a speed bump has caused this. He said that it didn't even have to be a hard hit, etc to do this. Both sides ended up bent up towards the engine. Fortunately for me, they were able to use some device to pull that bar / frame down so the noise has gone away. I was told to consciously watch for things such as bad driveway skirts, etc. Much thanks to Acura Columbus for fixing this as warranty work.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

can't read without line breaks
Old 06-18-2004, 09:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Hmmm. some good info there. Your car lowered?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Hey, I've notice the same thing. It usually only happens after I've parked the car. It's a thumping noise. I personally think it's the tranny. I'll continue to monitor to see if it gets worst. Keep you posted...
Old 06-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dajinni
I was told to consciously watch for things such as bad driveway skirts, etc. Much thanks to Acura Columbus for fixing this as warranty work.
When I had my IROC I used to scrape the front air dam on just about everything until I learned how to enter driveways and be careful around speed bumps and dips. Now its kinda automatic as I still do these things even with the TSX.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Now this is going to be totally out of left field so get ready:

I was having a similar noise as you just after I had taken in my TSX for it's 30K service.

It turns out that when they reattached the calipers they didn't use the right torque spec and put them on loose. So I would get a noticable thumping during deceleration, acceleration and especially braking.

They went the long way around when they started troubleshooting it, but eventually figured it out and gave me brand new rotors (warped), pads, calipers, etc. under warranty. I thought it was pretty good of them to own up to their mistake. They told me they would replace everything and didn't even ask.

I'm kinda their first TSX (Schaller Acura in Manchester, CT) and I put on mucho mileage so the service manager and I both have a running joke that I'm there guinea pig as long as they fix what they break....Overall I trust them though. They are very responsible and customer oriented.

Now, I have a feeling that it has nothing to do with what I just said, but I figured I'd share just in case it does. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2004, 01:27 AM
4th Gear

No, my car is not lowered, standard suspension and tires on the car. SSN_FT1, funny thing you mention the calipers. I had problems with them on my car after about 5k miles, and as a result, warped discs, etc. These were similar symptoms, and I was thinking that perhaps I was going to be dealing with that again, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

I am now very conscious about driveway skirts and parking curbs.